#1 Posted by Sidewalkchalk (122 posts) -

I'm sitting here thinking of things to say, things to do.. and nothing I can come up with seems worth the while. Personally, I think the girl he wasted a year with in this "marriage" doesn't deserve a second thought, but I can't just say that. I know he'll be alright eventually, but in the meantime, what the hell do I propose to do? It seems like the usual isn't going to cut it.

#3 Posted by expensiveham (289 posts) -

Just do what you would do normally and try to have some genuine fun to get his mind of it and help him realize he can be happy without her.

#4 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2301 posts) -

Fuck his ex wife.

Naw just kidding. Just be supportive and try to keep him in high spirits. If you both play games maybe invite him to play something?

#5 Posted by AziMuttyo (82 posts) -

Marry him

#6 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

You could start by not rubbing his nose in it and instead focus your time on something more positive, like supporting him through the extremely unpleasant legal and financial consequences of ending a marriage, rather than going onto a forum on a video game website and posting a few sentences without giving any context other than "He dun got divorced, I think girl was douche, I should be good friend, so I'll ask some neckbeard mouthbreathers what to do".

That would be silly, then we couldn't read the thread about it and respond with a bunch of ill-informed comments relating our (90% non-existent) personal experiences, or talk about what a bitch that girl surely was/all women are.

#7 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

give him a bj

#8 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

Take him to a titty bar.

#9 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Tell him about the dumb thread you made.

#10 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

Hookers.

They work wonders. Just wear a rubber.

*Edit: My, my, such mean comments in this thread. I'm sorry TC, a lot of people, including me, are morons.

#11 Edited by iam3green (14390 posts) -

let him sleep on your couch when the wife gets everything.

buy him a hooker also.

#12 Posted by j0lter (225 posts) -

Just do what you normally would do. He probably doesn't want to be reminded of this situation, so just game or do whatever with him and act as if nothing has really happened. It will help him get passed it by seeing that he can still enjoy life despite his hardships.

#13 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

You could start by not rubbing his nose in it and instead focus your time on something more positive, like supporting him through the extremely unpleasant legal and financial consequences of ending a marriage, rather than going onto a forum on a video game website and posting a few sentences without giving any context other than "He dun got divorced, I think girl was douche, I should be good friend, so I'll ask some neckbeard mouthbreathers what to do".

Except that's the opposite of helpful. And he came here because he clearly cares. Try not to be such a dick in the future.

Just have some guy time with him. Take his mind off things and remind him about how it is to have fun with people other than his ex wife. Luckily it was only a year. I dont know how long they were together, but the sooner the better in cases like this. He just needs a close friend, and you should definitely invite him out for some fun

edit: and ignore the man haters where the woman can never be at fault and clearly it was his fault. Because we cant put blame on a woman on this forum or else we're all sexist.

#14 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5220 posts) -

Alcohal, Lots of Alcohal.

Seriously though, that's rough. There's not really a whole lot you can do other than just be as good a friend as you can. It'll take time, but he'll eventually move past it. Life goes on. Try to have some good ol' fashioned dumb fun in the meantime. However that relates to you and your friend.

#15 Posted by EXTomar (4494 posts) -

Do friend junk and remind him that although it is a serious thing it is not the end of the world.

#16 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

Put on a wig and imitate his ex-wife. Offer to snuggle.

#17 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Play video games.

#18 Edited by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

Often in situations like this just standing by your friend and supporting them can go a long way.

#19 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

lcohol and hookers and/or strippers...hookerstrippers. Seriously though, I'm afraid there's not much you can do for him but being there for him. You know, start by saying that if he needs anything you're there and if he just wants to spend some time alone that's fine too. But just to be safe plant a camera and a bug in his residence in case he gets...suicidy.

There's (relatively) good advice in some parts of what I just said, but I had a little alcohol and haven't slept all night so shush.

Oh and I almost forgot, make sure to take every opportunity to call his ex a bitch. That's a big one when it comes to helping people get over divorce.

Ahhhh I love you too dudeglove.

#20 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -

Hos and blow?

I've got nothing.

#21 Posted by ninnanuam (261 posts) -

When I got divorced my friends took me out got me drunk actually listened to my sadness on occasion and then after 6 months or so told started pulling me up on my self pity.

Which you may eventually need to do but you need to give them at least 6 months to get over the crap, possible longer if it drags out.

But then my divorce was almost as good as it can get. When we called it quits we were renting, so no house to sell, no kids, I burnt all the CD's, grabbed a suitcase of clothes took half the savings and left the country. we talked by phone and email and we had everything formalized through lawyers but i haven't actually seen her since.

#22 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

If your Spanish is good enough for conversations, grab a couple of plane tickets to Argentina, a couple large in spending money - and live it up. Drink, eat, get laid 'til you're sore. Remember what lies beneath, and enjoy being a simple creature at heart.

Of course, your friend could be irredeemably difficult to please. Great expectations and such. Nothing you can do then...

#23 Posted by donfonzie (206 posts) -

Often in situations like this just standing by your friend and supporting them can go a long way.

True. All you have to do is be there for your friend.