• 75 results
#1 Edited by DarthOrange (3837 posts) -

The first trailer has been released for Guardians of the Galaxy and I was wondering what you peeps think about it. Particularly those of you who have never heard of these dudes before. Marvel is taking a huge gamble with this movie and if it ends up doing well I could very well see it opening the flood gates for movies based on all sorts of obscure super heroes.

Also for those of you who don't know Vin Diesel (Wheelman; Riddick franchise) is doing the voice of Groot (the tree) while Bradley Cooper (never worked on a video game) is doing the voice of Rocket Raccoon (the little guy who appeared in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3). In addition to those two it has Chris Pratt (Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction) as Star Lord, Zoe Saldana (Star Trek: The Video Game) as Gamora, and Dave Bautista (WWE 2K14) as Drax. It is being directed by James Gunn (Lollipop Chainsaw).

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

I bet its worth the blu-ray purchase of me, but I don't think its gonna beat The Avengers nor Ironman.

#3 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Looks really cool, I just hope it has enough action in it. Avengers kind of let me down with this, there was only one fight where they were all teaming up. These team hero movies usually always do that, and it annoys me.

Also, spoilers for Vin Diesel as Groot He confirmed he only has one line in the movie

#4 Posted by MEATBALL (3020 posts) -

I think it looks fucking awesome and visually it's giving me kind of a Hellboy vibe, which is a very good thing. Can't wait.

#5 Posted by Damodar (1287 posts) -

I'm a fan of James Gunn, it should be a good time.

I do find it curious that you used video game credits to identify the actors, considering that there are some pretty big hollywood names involved.

Now hurry up and get a Dr Strange movie out, Marvel. Do it. NOW.

#6 Posted by DarthOrange (3837 posts) -

Looks really cool, I just hope it has enough action in it. Avengers kind of let me down with this, there was only one fight where they were all teaming up. These team hero movies usually always do that, and it annoys me.

That one fight was like 30 minutes long.

@damodar said:

I do find it curious that you used video game credits to identify the actors, considering that there are some pretty big hollywood names involved.

Well this is a video game forum. :P

#7 Posted by Barf_Surprise (47 posts) -

SUPER STOKED

#8 Posted by Roboculus92 (478 posts) -

I think it looks pretty good.

#9 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

I know nothing about these superheros yet thought the trailer was great. I could go for a less serious Marvel movie.

#10 Posted by ez123 (1944 posts) -

I like it. I have no knowledge of the source material but it seems cool. I like Chris Pratt and Lococycle's James Gunn.

#11 Edited by Reisz (1455 posts) -

So happy. So, so happy.

#12 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5184 posts) -

Obscure superhero, you mean like Black Widow?

#13 Posted by ichthy (469 posts) -

Don't know a whole lot about the comic series aside from Rocket Raccoon showing up in UMVC3, but it looks like it's in line with Marvel movies so far.

#14 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

Fucking awesome.

My first knowledge of any of these guys was Rocket Raccoon in UMVC3. I never searched for info of him until this movie was announced. That's when I decided to dig into (Wikipedia) the internet to learn more. I'm excited for this movie. I'm pumped to see Thanos make an appearance again. Just thinking of Avengers 3 with the Avengers, GOTG and more superheroes that will be added (of course there'll be more!), I am so pumped.

#15 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Looks fantastic, I know nothing about the characters except rocket raccoon. Chris Pratt is great on parks and rec and looks to be funny in this. Can't believe how cut he is now

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5512 posts) -

I think the trailer looks great. I've been naysaying this film ever since they announced it too, just because it seems like there are smarter, better choices. But just about every decision they made about GotG turned out to be right up my alley. I know next to nothing about the characters, I found it really tough to jump on to Marvel stuff (especially if you weren't reading a bunch of their other books). I'm tentatively excited though. For me I think it will live or die by how much they feel the need to incorporate elements from the other Marvel movies. I could not care less about that stuff.

#17 Edited by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

Don't know who these guys are, but it looks fun.

#18 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

I thought it was an awesome trailer. Had my doubts about the movie ever since I heard it was going to be made. Can't really say i'm familiar with GotG at all though the concept sounds really cool. Been reading on the speculation of how all these Marvel movies are going to crossover leading to one final movie. All I can say is, if they manage to pull this off, it would be extremely epic.

#19 Posted by Gatehouse (571 posts) -

I have zero attachment to any of these guys, but Chris Pratt is always appreciated and the film looks visually fantastic. As long as they keep the weird tone (and the same completely odd musical choices) then this looks like a whole heap of fun. But hey, how could you take a talking raccoon with a propensity for firearms riding a talking tree seriously?

#20 Edited by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

Some of those indoor scenes look a little chintzy, but the movie looks totally fun. I'm looking forward to it.

#21 Posted by CornBREDX (4757 posts) -

Chris Pratt was enough to get me interested... the jokey manner has me interested.

Sure, looks interesting enough. I'm down.

Hopefully the movie and tone of the story is as goofy as the trailer is. Could be fun.

#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4252 posts) -

I think it looks great. I like how right off the bat they addressed the main problem of the movie, which is that no one, including most comic fans, have any fucking clue who these guys are. The spent like 30 seconds introducing all of them so obviously we don't really know them yet, but I think it helps make the movie feel a lot less alien (no pun intended) to everyone so to speak.

I'm dying to hear how Cooper and Diesel do. I like both of them as actors and I think they'll do perfectly fine, but...it's hard to explain. It just feels weird. Fucking exciting, but weird as shit.

#23 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

Awesome. I haven't read many of the guardians comics but I've really enjoyed what I have read. It's a great universe and it looks like the movie has got the tone right. First time I've been excited for a Marvel movie in a while.

#24 Posted by Galadan (38 posts) -

Björn Skifs? I'm hooked.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's cosmic Marvel stuff (including Guardians of the Galaxy) is well worth reading if you can track it down. Googling turned up a reading list that a kind soul had put together. If you scroll to the end there's a shorter list of the essential stuff.

Not crazy about the newer Bendis GotG comics. They're OK, but I think they lack the sense of fun of the Abnett and Lanning ones.

#25 Posted by falserelic (5280 posts) -

Looks kinda goofy to me.

#26 Posted by RazielCuts (2911 posts) -

It feels like a Comedy film at the moment rather than a super serious comic book film all the others seem to be going in so I guess thats a good thing?

#27 Edited by tomobedlam (22 posts) -

@galadan said:

Björn Skifs? I'm hooked.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's cosmic Marvel stuff (including Guardians of the Galaxy) is well worth reading if you can track it down. Googling turned up a reading list that a kind soul had put together. If you scroll to the end there's a shorter list of the essential stuff.

Not crazy about the newer Bendis GotG comics. They're OK, but I think they lack the sense of fun of the Abnett and Lanning ones.

The cosmic stuff was pretty good and a real surprise for me at the time, really looking forward to the movie

#28 Posted by sccdemir (73 posts) -

Don't know much about the Marvel universe but if these characters are in the same universe as The Avengers are in, it should be be interesting to see how Tony, Captain and the others will react to the racoon guy and the tree-man if they ever decide to include them in the same movie. Can't wait.

#29 Posted by avantegardener (1107 posts) -

Looks rad, and a lot of fun.

#30 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -

This looks pretty cute, and my wife loves Marvel stuff so I'm going to enjoy showing this trailer to her. Personally I've no interest in Marvel or comics but that raccoon sold me.

#31 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

It looked damn good, and pretty funny too.

#32 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3770 posts) -

I watched that trailer about a dozen times yesterday. Yeah I'm pretty excited. I love the goofy tone and Rocket is one of the best characters to come out of Marvel.

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (887 posts) -

I'm a huge GotG fan so this looks fucking great to me

#34 Posted by Sweep (8793 posts) -

I think Drax and Gamora look weird, but Rocket and Groot look amaaaaaazing. Also really liking the casting and general light-heartedness of the whole thing.

#35 Edited by Mezmero (1769 posts) -

The trailer was merely decent but I'm pretty stoked to see this. Not even a huge Guardians fan but I can see it being quite entertaining. Plus I love stuff in space. I was half expecting them to use that Rammstein song they used for all the generically actiony trailers of the late 00's.

#36 Posted by TooWalrus (13131 posts) -

That looks really expensive. Also, I'm not a fan of... that guy from Ricky Bobby but hey, I'll probably see it.

#37 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

Marvel's been straight up killing in so far, so I'm along for the ride pretty much no matter what they do. I don't really know anything about GOTG, but it looks pretty rad. I love that Marvel is trying to get good variety with their movies, so that it isn't just a bunch of one note stuff. I think that is where they will beat DC the most. I get the feeling that most of DC's stuff is just going to have that Nolan feel, and all be about the same type of thing. But Marvel seems intent on beginning to branch out in a different genres with each of their characters, which will help keep things healthy and fresh.

#38 Edited by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

I liked Rocket Racoon ^^ but as these flicks tends to go I think he will have a very short screen time and the human dude will be the one with the most of it so I will wait for the inevitable tv screening in a year or two.

#39 Posted by mightymaraj (11 posts) -

I don't think trailer was bad by any means but I think the movie is going to be way better then what they showed. This has a ton of potential IMO.

#40 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2862 posts) -

I think the vibe they're going for is great, really the only way to do a movie like this, and man, some balls on Marvel these days.

I'm a huuuge Rocket Raccoon fan, bought all his comic books (er, all 4 of them) so very excited to see him in action. If at any point in the movie he makes a log swing down and hit someone I will probably die of happiness.

#41 Edited by wjb (1626 posts) -

I'll watch it because I love Chris Pratt, with a beer belly or six pack abs. "Chris Pratt from Ben-10 video game." (lol, sorry).

I never saw Slither, and I didn't really care for Super, so I don't know what to think about James Gunn. This seems fun, but the humor could be a little on the self-referential side for me to fully enjoy. We'll see.

Also, is the Walkman part of the Star-Lord's lore (lol), or is it just some corny excuse to play cheesy 70's pop in a modern sci-fi action film? Asking for a friend...

EDIT: Also again, is that Bencio del Toro as Karl Lagerfeld?
EDIT2: Also, also, also, I noticed another NIN song in a movie trailer.

#42 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

I love the lighthearted vibe they seem to be going for. They seemed to know from the start that this is, weirdly, a far less believable plot than other comic book films so they didn't bother trying to make it gritty and self-serious. Can't wait to see it.

#43 Posted by JaredA (818 posts) -

Ha! This looks great! I'm not familiar with the source material at all, but I love the whole motley crew vibe they have going. I can't wait!

#44 Posted by The_Ruiner (986 posts) -

@sccdemir said:

Don't know much about the Marvel universe but if these characters are in the same universe as The Avengers are in, it should be be interesting to see how Tony, Captain and the others will react to the racoon guy and the tree-man if they ever decide to include them in the same movie. Can't wait.

#45 Edited by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -

The only thing I really didn't care for was the delivery on the "A-holes" line.

#46 Posted by HistoryInRust (6269 posts) -

The only thing I really didn't care for was the delivery on the "A-holes" line.

Psh. That's the best part of the whole trailer.

#47 Posted by Robsamuel (49 posts) -

Looks great (hopefully it's better than The Avengers). I haven't been this hyped for a film in a long while.

#48 Posted by Clonedzero (4051 posts) -

I know nothing about the guardians of the galaxy. But this looks amazing.

#49 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (353 posts) -

I really haven't cared about any of the stuff in the Marvel Cinematic Universe or whatever the fuck they're calling it now, but this looks like a super fun time.

#50 Edited by RonGalaxy (2846 posts) -

The only marvel universe (whatever they're calling it.. the ones connected to the avengers) movie I've genuinly loved was the first Ironman. Captain America was pretty good, and the rest were just alright (I especially didn't enjoy The Avengers). With that said, this looks really fucking promising. I like James Gunn's sense of humor, and the cast looks really fantastic. So I have high hopes for this one, even though this whole series hasn't appealed to me like it has with others.