What do you think is funny?

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By fishinwithguns

I'm a huge fan of comedy in general...stand-up, movies, TV shows, etc.  Yet there are very few things nowadays that can actually make me laugh out loud.  I've been in kind of a comedy slump recently.  I want people to recommend to me stuff they think is funny, that I may not have heard of.  It could be anything, really.

My favorite TV shows:
Mr. Show
Dr. Katz
Home Movies
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
most of the stuff on [adult swim] I find funny but don't necessarily watch all the time

My favorite comedians:
Louis CK
David Cross
Bob Odenkirk
Paul F. Tompkins
Patton Oswalt
etc.

My favorite voice actors, etc. that may also do stand-up but I have only really heard their voice work:
H. Jon Benjamin
Jon Glaser
Dana Snyder
Tom Kenny (he's in anything that's animated really)

I'll also just throw out there that I think all the guys here at Giant Bomb are funny and make me LOL from time to time.

Recommend something that you don't see on the list.  I'd greatly appreciate it.  Conversely, f there is someone/something on this list you haven't heard of I'd suggest you check it out as well.  I value laughter more than anything, it's definitely the second best medicine, next to actual medicine of course.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fishinwithguns

I'm a huge fan of comedy in general...stand-up, movies, TV shows, etc.  Yet there are very few things nowadays that can actually make me laugh out loud.  I've been in kind of a comedy slump recently.  I want people to recommend to me stuff they think is funny, that I may not have heard of.  It could be anything, really.

My favorite TV shows:
Mr. Show
Dr. Katz
Home Movies
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
most of the stuff on [adult swim] I find funny but don't necessarily watch all the time

My favorite comedians:
Louis CK
David Cross
Bob Odenkirk
Paul F. Tompkins
Patton Oswalt
etc.

My favorite voice actors, etc. that may also do stand-up but I have only really heard their voice work:
H. Jon Benjamin
Jon Glaser
Dana Snyder
Tom Kenny (he's in anything that's animated really)

I'll also just throw out there that I think all the guys here at Giant Bomb are funny and make me LOL from time to time.

Recommend something that you don't see on the list.  I'd greatly appreciate it.  Conversely, f there is someone/something on this list you haven't heard of I'd suggest you check it out as well.  I value laughter more than anything, it's definitely the second best medicine, next to actual medicine of course.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

well, i watch Comedy Central from 11 to 12 almost every weeknight, so obviously Stewart and Colbert. I also love South Park and enjoy Futurama, and i really liked Drawn Together while it was around. I usually watch new Simpsons episodes.

I dont watch a lot of stand up comedy, but i did like that crazy black-haired british guy.
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fishinwithguns
@KaosAngel: wow, already getting responses.  Thanks, I definitely needed that.  My brother lives in Japan and he says Japanese TV has some of the dumbest programming he's ever seen.  Sometimes dumb can be a good thing, though.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By teh_destroyer

I enjoy watching people get hurt on youtube............I don't know why but it just makes me lol sometimes.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fishinwithguns
@AgentJ: The crazy british guy I think you're talking about is Russell Brand.  Yea, he was funnier than I expected him to be, he was also funny in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  I didn't like Drawn Together, but I like everything else you mentioned.  South Park would be on my favorites list too, I forgot to include that, but it's almost implied really.  It's one show that's been consistently funny for years.

And I love Stewart and Colbert too.  They don't always make me laugh out loud, but I just love the way they report the news, I like to keep up with it, but I'm wary of getting the news from Fox or CNN or something.
alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alsnuts2

Im a bit of a comediophile myself, (that sounds I like sex with dead comics) and I actually wrote a half hour a few months ago but there arent any clubs around here.  I really like everything, well except Dane Cook, obviously.

Robert Schimmel
Doug Stanhope
Mitch Hedberg
Daniel Tosh
Mike Birbiglia

Comedy shows
Squidbillies (Yeah that squidbillies)
Arrested Development
Frisky Dingo
many many more...

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10

i like daniel tosh, hes pretty good. though he has become comedy centrals bitch...josh sneed is not well know, but hes fantastic...
tv stuff, scrubs...though its older stuff is smarter comedy i think, after like season 4 its just random stuff (i still liked it though)...

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
@gingertastic_10 said:
"

i like daniel tosh, hes pretty good. though he has become comedy centrals bitch...josh sneed is not well know, but hes fantastic...
tv stuff, scrubs...though its older stuff is smarter comedy i think, after like season 4 its just random stuff (i still liked it though)...

"
Good point with Scrubs. Love that wonderfully absurd show
Tosh seemed like kind of a Soup ripoff in that new show, but that's the only material i know of his so i may be off base. 
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fishinwithguns
@alsnuts2: I remember when Doug Stanhope and Joe Rogan took over the Man Show.  I haven't seen any of his stand-up though.  I think I saw him on a Girls Gone Wild commercial though, haha.  I like Daniel Tosh, Birbiglia, Hedberg too.  I'll check out Robert Schimmel, I've heard the name but am not too familiar with him.

All those shows you recommended are good too.  Too bad Arrested Development got cancelled, but I think there's a movie in the works now.

I didn't like Squidbillies at first, but it really really grew on me.  It has some of the best dialogue ever, and I'm from Georgia which is the setting on the show, so there are lots of little inside jokes for Georgians that make it even more enjoyable.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By buzz_clik

Eddie Izzard used to be great. Well, I guess he still is, but he's just gone a little off the boil more recently.

I concur with Louis CK and Scrubs both being great. Oh, and for the more modern UK stuff I dig Big Train, Spaced and The IT Crowd.

alsnuts2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By alsnuts2
@needforswede:

Doug Stanhope is the dirtiest comic ever.  So if anything can offend you he isnt your cup of tea.  He is a damn fine joke writer though, he doesnt fall into the trap of being really childish.

Also Daniel Tosh is one of the best standups in the country, his show is really stupid though.
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fishinwithguns
@AgentJ said:
"
@gingertastic_10 said:
"

"
Tosh seemed like kind of a Soup ripoff in that new show, but that's the only material i know of his so i may be off base. 
"
Oh yea, I forgot Tosh has a new show, yea I saw one episode and it was alright, I don't really expect it to last.  I never really liked Scrubs, I don't know why, it just rubs me the wrong way.  I guess it has to do with the fact that they can't seem to balance the drama and comedy well.  There are shows that mix comedy and drama together so that even when it's dramatic you can still laugh at it, Curb Your Enthusiasm is a good example, but Scrubs just seems to go "stop laughing for a second, things are getting serious" and puts the comedy on hold, usually until the next episode because the dramatic moments often come at the end of an episode.

But, to each his own, I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls for liking the show.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By gingertastic_10
@AgentJ said:
"
@gingertastic_10 said:
"

"
"
yeah, the show is ok....i like his comedy better, heres a clip:

not his best, but just to give an example for you
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Gunner

i like comedians that are witty and put a spin on what we think is normal.

George Carlin and Bill Hicks comes to mind.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By ahriman22

Engrish is funny, Japanese game shows are funny. 

Trying to find what to watch out of 300 channels is funny... BUt I usually end up watching the simpsons.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Snail

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By auspiciousqueue

One of my favorite comics is Frankie Boyle. He is way too dark and offensive for most people, but I find him hilarious.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I'd recommend check out Russell Peters.  If you're offended by any racist jokes, though, don't.  You might also want to watch Scrubs, it's pretty funny.  Recently, though, my dad and I have been watching a lot of Entourage.  I can't believe I went so long without watching this show!  It's definitely one of my favourite series on TV!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper

I like incredibly well-written witty classic stuff but on the other side of the spectrum I like incredibly stupid dumb stuff. I don't like mediocre stuff  which is basicaly things like Little Britian, Catherine Tate and all the American nonsense.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Red12b
@auspiciousqueue:
Agreed.
Mock the week is the shit.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Optiow

I think British Comedy is the best.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By singular

I like jokes and slapstick.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By buzz_killington

Down to earth social commentary, like Chris Rock.
Old, well-written and choreographed works of Peter Sellers.
And the classic slapstick shenanigans of Laurel & Hardy.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By dethfish

I have no idea what style of comedy I'm into but I think the Persona 4 ER (and everything else GB does) is hilarious. Some of my favorite comedy shows ever are It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Frisky Dingo, Futurama and Squidbilles. I don't watch a lot of stand up anymore but my favorite comedian I've seen recently is Jim Gaffigan.