• 71 results
#1 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -
#2 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -

I'm going with Death Magnetic. Musically I think it kicks everything else's ass. 
I'm also interested in knowing why Master of Puppets is better than Justice in everyone's opinion. I'm honestly wanting to know, can anyone tell me?

#3 Posted by NubMonk (209 posts) -

Ride the Lightning is my favorite, though i like all of them (except for St. Anger). 

#4 Edited by oatz (1103 posts) -

There's only one Metallica song I've heard that I actually like: All Nightmare Long, which is from Death Magnetic. So that. 

#5 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -
@NubMonk said:
"  Ride the Lightning is my favorite, though i like all of them (except for St. Anger).  "
I get why St. Anger gets a lot of hate but I can dig it when I'm in the right mood.
#6 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -
@oatz said:
" There's only one Metallica song I've heard that I actually like: All Nightmare Long, which is from Death Magnetic. So that. "
I've heard a lot of people say that's their favorite song. I don't get it, but I do like that song.
#7 Posted by Ortep (13 posts) -

Gah.....don't make me choose...

#8 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -

SOMEONE VOTED ST. ANGER. That's cool.

#9 Edited by SMTDante89 (2581 posts) -
I'm torn between Ride the Lightning and ...And Justice for All.

Personally, I don't think there was a single dud in RTL, but there were some really amazing songs on ...AJFA

@birdflu777 said:

" I'm also interested in knowing why Master of Puppets is better than Justice in everyone's opinion. I'm honestly wanting to know, can anyone tell me? "

My guess is that Master of Puppets really brought attention to Thrash Metal, so many people consider it a true classic, or something like that.
#10 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

Like'em all except for St.Anger b/c as a drummer myself the snare drum is the most obnoxious sounding thing ever

#11 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -

Master of Puppets is the best but the worst are St Anger, load and reload.
I really enjoyed listening of Death Magnetic and METALLICA RULEZ.

#12 Posted by mustachioeugene (510 posts) -
@birdflu777 said:
 I'm also interested in knowing why Master of Puppets is better than Justice in everyone's opinion. I'm honestly wanting to know, can anyone tell me? "
For me, Master of Puppets was such a formative album, the stuff that Burton was doing on bass actually made me pick up the instrument for myself so MoP will always hold a special place somewhere within me.  Runner up is a tie between ...And Justice and the Black album. 

Master was the last album with what many consider the original and best lineup, so I think some people might snub everything post-Master, I know some people were put off by the high level of production on the Justice album and it was lacking a certain level of rawness that was always present in previous albums. 

My 2c.
#13 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Anything before they threatened to sue me for sharing their videos on IRC. Not that I really liked them before that anyway.

#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

Probably Ride the Lightning for me, but anything after Justice is shit, including Death Magnetic.

#15 Posted by MetalGearGeorge (218 posts) -

Metallica rock but i am afraid this topic is going to become TROLL MAGNETIC. Also Master of Puppets kicks ass. That is all.

#16 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (326 posts) -

Ride the Lightning.  AJFA is amazing, but just isn't as fun.

And yes, Black-onwards sucked, but it did give us the Unforgiven series, which gave us the 'Unforgiven 2/Too' pun, which is of priceless value to mankind.

#17 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

I love 'em all!

#18 Posted by Stete (738 posts) -

Master of Puppets all the way!!! \m/\m/ Although Justice for All and Ride The Lightning are awesome as well. Kill Them All is good in retrospect but pales in comparison to the 3 albums that followed. Black Album is quite good too, and Death Magnetic was a nice suprise in quality. Load and Reload are just well mediocre and St Anger is pure cack.

#19 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -
@birdflu777: 

Master of Puppets in my mind is the epitome of Metallica. It's thrashy, it's melodic, it has the best arrangements and most of the album doesn't have filler riffs, you can hear the bass distinctively, and it has one of the best instrumentals.

I like Justice, but to me it's filled with filler. The riffs repeat too much (Shortest Straw, And Justice for all and Harvester of Sorrow are guilty of riffing on the same riff too long), songs  are less melodic, there is no bass guitar audible on the album. But, I do think Blackened, Dyer's Eve, One and To Live is to Die are amazing songs. But, they don't hold a candle to Battery, Master, Sanitarium, Orion and Damage Inc.  

I like all other albums too (including Load and Reload, there are still some really good songs on those albums, even if they aren't thrasy).   

Death Magnetic was a good "return to form" in my opinion. I think some arrangements still needed a tad bit of work, but Unforgiven III is amazing. I'm interested to hear the next album.

To me St. Anger is the worst. There are some good songs on there, but again; too many filler riffs and the production is just terrible. 

And you missed Garage Inc. Though all cover songs, I still think some of their arrangements on the songs they covered are very good and worth mentioning.
#20 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Justice is the one I love. I hear it as the archetype for most metal that's followed. 

There's still room for creativity in metal in these days but most of those bands will still fall back to the bag of tricks that are best exemplified in Justice.

#21 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

The Black Album.. by a mile. Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters.. Even if the albums before were more influential for other bands, I don't care.

#22 Posted by armaan8014 (5406 posts) -
@birdflu777 said:
" SOMEONE VOTED ST. ANGER. That's cool. "
Me ME MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
#23 Posted by nick_verissimo (1386 posts) -

...And Justice For All is one of my favourite albums period, however, Ride the Lightning has my favourite Metallica song it, being For Whom the Bell Tolls.  On the whole, some of the riffs off of KeA, RtL, ...AJFA and MoP still, in my mind, are some of the greatest of all time and are as good as anything coming out today. 

Also, whoever said The Black Album or St. Anger...really?  Go ahead and like them, but I never intend on listening from those albums ever again.

#24 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I'm not a big fan of Metallica, but Master of Puppets sure kicks a lot of ass :)

#25 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@birdflu777 said:
" @oatz said:
" There's only one Metallica song I've heard that I actually like: All Nightmare Long, which is from Death Magnetic. So that. "
I've heard a lot of people say that's their favorite song. I don't get it, but I do like that song. "
That and Cyanide are my favs from the new one for sure
#26 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great said:
" @birdflu777:  Master of Puppets in my mind is the epitome of Metallica. It's thrashy, it's melodic, it has the best arrangements and most of the album doesn't have filler riffs, you can hear the bass distinctively, and it has one of the best instrumentals.  I like Justice, but to me it's filled with filler. The riffs repeat too much (Shortest Straw, And Justice for all and Harvester of Sorrow are guilty of riffing on the same riff too long), songs  are less melodic, there is no bass guitar audible on the album. But, I do think Blackened, Dyer's Eve, One and To Live is to Die are amazing songs. But, they don't hold a candle to Battery, Master, Sanitarium, Orion and Damage Inc.   I like all other albums too (including Load and Reload, there are still some really good songs on those albums, even if they aren't thrasy).    Death Magnetic was a good "return to form" in my opinion. I think some arrangements still needed a tad bit of work, but Unforgiven III is amazing. I'm interested to hear the next album. To me St. Anger is the worst. There are some good songs on there, but again; too many filler riffs and the production is just terrible.  And you missed Garage Inc. Though all cover songs, I still think some of their arrangements on the songs they covered are very good and worth mentioning. "
Man, you typed almost word for word what I was going to, rock on lol
#27 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11057 posts) -

I think Master of Puppets is their best album in the sense that musically it's probably more complex/better written than the other ones, but I still like Ride the Lightning the best.  

Personally though, so long as it's from the 80s, I love all Metallica. 90s Metallica was hit or miss (mostly miss), Death Magnetic was okay, and I refuse to even acknowledge the existence of St. Anger. 

#28 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

Favourite would have to be Ride the Lightning. By the way, never listened to Death Magnetic, anyone recommend it?

#29 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -
@Delicious_Brains:  
I personally loved Death Magnetic. It's a good album, but not Ride the Lightning good.  

@Deeveeus: 

Thanks, man! I try to be honest rather than "Durrrr... Metallica no more thrash, i noe likez@!!@!@". Thrashy or not, a good song is a good song.  

Staying on topic, I think Bleeding Me, King Nothing and 2x4 are AMAZING on Load, because again; they are well written songs. Same with Reload with Fixxxer, Carpe Diem and Where the Wild Things Are. I don't think people gave those albums a chance. 

#30 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -
@Delicious_Brains said:
" Favourite would have to be Ride the Lightning. By the way, never listened to Death Magnetic, anyone recommend it? "
Absolutely. 

It's not quite as good as the Lightning->Justice era, but it's an album in the spirit of those classics. It's certainly good enough to be considered a return to form and has renewed my interest in the band.
#31 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -

Unforgiven III is powerful as hell.

#32 Posted by TooWalrus (13206 posts) -

Van Halen II. Oh shit, wait, Master of Puppets.

#33 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Of course Metallica's earlier stuff is just fucking classic, but I prefer the later stuff, after James actually learned how to sing (he actually took vocal lessons).  Overall from this list, I'd have to say Death Magnetic.  Just too much good shit on there, from the fucking kick ass instrumental (Suicide and Redemption) to the ballads of yesteryear.  I also loved the energy in St. Anger, even though a lot of people didn't like that one.   

And I agree that Garage Inc should probably be on the list, even though its mostly covers.

#34 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3156 posts) -
@melcene said:
" Of course Metallica's earlier stuff is just fucking classic, but I prefer the later stuff, after James actually learned how to sing (he actually took vocal lessons).  Overall from this list, I'd have to say Death Magnetic.  Just too much good shit on there, from the fucking kick ass instrumental (Suicide and Redemption) to the ballads of yesteryear.  I also loved the energy in St. Anger, even though a lot of people didn't like that one.    And I agree that Garage Inc should probably be on the list, even though its mostly covers. "
Word, Suicide and Redemption kicks ass. I think it's my favorite instrumental of theirs.
#35 Posted by paudle (96 posts) -

Man no one likes Kill Em All :( 

Garage Inc is pretty good but random and not really their sonfs.

#36 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I am a bastard so ...And Justice For All.

#37 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@birdflu777 said:
" @melcene said:
" Of course Metallica's earlier stuff is just fucking classic, but I prefer the later stuff, after James actually learned how to sing (he actually took vocal lessons).  Overall from this list, I'd have to say Death Magnetic.  Just too much good shit on there, from the fucking kick ass instrumental (Suicide and Redemption) to the ballads of yesteryear.  I also loved the energy in St. Anger, even though a lot of people didn't like that one.    And I agree that Garage Inc should probably be on the list, even though its mostly covers. "
Word, Suicide and Redemption kicks ass. I think it's my favorite instrumental of theirs. "
Yeah... it's been stuck in my head since this thread.  Thank god for Audiogalaxy and being able to listen to songs on my home computer from work.
#38 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

MoP hands down.. 

#39 Edited by glorious_leader (107 posts) -

Master of Puppets I would say wins by a landslide, but in truth I find that Ride the Lightening is a close competitor for second place.  It's just that Master of Puppets is such an amazing album that I find it hard to believe one band came out with two such amazing works. But those two albums are their best, hands down.  It's my belief that the true spirit of Metallica was crushed under the tour bus along with Burton.  ...And Justice for All wasn't so bad, but after that it was a fast descent into the realm of pussy music.

I'd also like to point out that if "Kill'em All" had retained it's original intended name, that being "Metal Up Your Ass", it would be my favorite of their albums for the name and album art alone.

#40 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Personally, my favorite is The Black Album just because all the songs made a huge impression on me back when I first heard it. Second would probably be ReLoad because it was the first Metallica album I ever loved. 

#41 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

Ride the Lightning is my personal favorite. It was more polished than Kill 'Em All and the songs were just a whole lot better than their first album. Load comes as a close second, and even if it isn't thrash, I still think it's a great album.

#42 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

Haven't like anything since MOP. Fuckin' sell-outs.

#43 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

Death Magnetic.

All the early stuff is just overproduced to crap and I havent heard from the Black Album to St Anger.

#44 Posted by Jolt92 (1552 posts) -

Kill ém all and ...And Justice For All, for me. Weird sentance...

#45 Posted by anarchyzombie9 (615 posts) -

...And Justice for All is the only one I still like

#46 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

St. Anger, obviously.  I haven't even heard any of their other work, and I don't plan to. 

(Trololololo)

#47 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

The best? Kill Em' All. The thing I consider it more of a Mustaine album then a Metaliica one. Master was probably the last best. Anything after that was pretty much shit on bread. Yes, even Death Magnetic is shit and I have no idea why people keep telling me it's good. 

#48 Posted by CountMacula (235 posts) -

No S&M :(  

Master of Puppets will have to suffice I guess

#49 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" Probably Ride the Lightning for me, but anything after Justice is shit, including Death Magnetic. "
Come on, Death Magnetic was a bit of a return to form, its not old Metallica but it wasn't St anger....
#50 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" Death Magnetic.  All the early stuff is just overproduced to crap and I havent heard from the Black Album to St Anger. "
Unforgiven? Enter Sandman? Master of Puppets? Fade To Black? For Whom the Bell Tolls?  One? Pretty sure those are all from before Death Magnetic and they are only some of the BEST and most influential songs ever made, you should give them a listen.  Oh and I liked DeathMagnetic as well only album I disliked was St.Anger but everyone (thats sane) hates that one to.