#1 Posted by Cybertification (169 posts) -

Personally, I think Bionicle: the game has some pretty cool music. (it is a fairly shit game though, at least I think so, it's been a while since I played it.)

Pacman world 2 is another one. (That's an awesome game though!)

Do you have any?

#2 Edited by mwng (891 posts) -

Noone ever seems to link the Earthworm Jim soundtrack. So that!

#3 Edited by kerse (2037 posts) -

i dont know if its underrated per say, but nobody ever mentions remember me when they talk about soundtracks and i think its fantastic

#4 Edited by Glottery (906 posts) -

I don't recall seeing MDK 2 mentioned too often in these type of threads. Jesper Kyd <3

#5 Posted by Yesiamaduck (654 posts) -

Oddworld Abes Odysee/Exodus

#6 Posted by cloudymusic (919 posts) -

The SNES version of Prince of Persia had a great soundtrack, further cementing its status as the best version of that game. Too bad that the composer didn't stick around composing for games very much after that.

#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4478 posts) -

Double Dragon Neon

#8 Posted by hans_maulwurf (79 posts) -

Like everything from the Saboteur, not only its music but also its use of music is shamefully underrated. This song playing during the final mission at the eifel tower creates such an incredible, emotional and disturbing moment.

#9 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4036 posts) -

Remember Me, Skullgirls, and Anarchy Reigns are a few recent ones that come to mind.

#10 Posted by Yesiamaduck (654 posts) -

Actually I think it may be Croc: Legend Of The Gobos

#11 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

Does Devil mAY Cry count? if so then that, all those noisia tracks were so good

#12 Posted by audioBusting (1299 posts) -

Mighty Switch Force, inMomentum and Black Ops 2 have pretty good soundtracks that not many people pay attention to.

#13 Edited by GunstarRed (4729 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

Double Dragon Neon

Pretty much anything of Jake Kaufman's is great. All of the Mighty stuff for the DS/3DS is fantastic. I saw quite a bit of love for that soundtrack last year though. - oops i meant 2012

I think games that are poor/ok don't get a lot of recognition for their music a lot of the time. Remember Me had one of the best from last year and if I had to pick a couple I'd say both Bear McCreary's game scores for Dark Void and Socom 4 are superb.

#14 Posted by fisk0 (3270 posts) -

Mediocre games with great soundtracks tend to be overlooked, because, you know, they aren't great games.

7th Legion is my favorite of those, with music by Blair Zuppicich:

Then there was a largely forgotten Maxis Sim game, Sim Isle: Missions in the Rainforest, with an amazing soundtrack by Harry Holmwood. The game was pretty neat too:

And the expansion for Dark Reign, Rise of the Shadowhand had an amazing soundtrack by Danny Pelfrey that most people don't seem to realize exist. Not even GOG, who rereleased the game, and just had the expansion play the music from the original game instead:

#15 Edited by fisk0 (3270 posts) -

@audiobusting said:

Mighty Switch Force, inMomentum and Black Ops 2 have pretty good soundtracks that not many people pay attention to.

Yeah, the Black Ops II soundtrack was surprisingly great, especially the track Flying Squirrels that plays at the loading screen for that boat map, I actually upgraded my Steam copy to the Digital Deluxe version just to get that soundtrack:

#16 Posted by Epidehl (264 posts) -

Anytime this question is asked, I will ALWAYS say Bomberman Hero. All of it is really good, but the Nitros music is damn great:

#17 Posted by Superkenon (1190 posts) -

Never heard anyone mention the Outlaws soundtrack, but it's fantastic. CD AUDIO.

#18 Edited by Viney212 (103 posts) -

3D Dot game Heroes.

Mainly this track:

#19 Edited by crithon (2574 posts) -

PS2 Shinobi

it's a mix of just dated tech and traditional japanese folk lore in a B game design.

#20 Posted by crithon (2574 posts) -

@superkenon: sigh, I keep that game out just to listen to the music.

#21 Edited by Superkenon (1190 posts) -

@crithon: I'm not embarrassed to say I've got those discs in my car, and they see frequent use.

#22 Posted by nnotdead (82 posts) -

Super Metroid. I am unsure if its really underrated, but i don't see it that often on these post.

#23 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (690 posts) -

@epidehl: I actually listened through the soundtrack last night since I've already listened to the Bomberman 64 Soundtrack several times. It's definitely great.

For my own pick, it would be Baten Kaitos. I don't think that many people actually played the game, but for whatever else can be said about it, it had some damn fine music.

#24 Posted by Fierrze (165 posts) -

I don't think that it is underrated, but the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack by Amon Tobin can't get enough love. Especially Lighthouse is amazing.

#25 Edited by Live2bRighteous (306 posts) -

This track is the definition of "sicknasty." I'm glad it played during the multiplayer bank level. 0:18 is where it's at.

#26 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Wet!

Psychobilly ftw.

#27 Posted by crithon (2574 posts) -

@superkenon: well the game doesn't hold up too well. Like it used Microsoft game service back in the day, it had some unique level designs actually using real world architecture, remember this was the days of Duke Nukem and Quake, so a house really was something difficult to make through level progression and keys to unlock doors. Hell we barely get real world levels until maybe Gone Home. But yeah, also the cool 2d art never did transfer well to the 2D faux 3d engine of dark forces so you has some strange pixelated characters. It wasn't so much a western shoot outs just doom monsters charging at you and unloading.

But yeah, that soundtrack, that soundtrack is so beautiful, the trumpets, man it's so mournful. Worth keeping out to listen to.

#28 Edited by The_Nubster (1950 posts) -

@mwng said:

Noone ever seems to link the Earthworm Jim soundtrack. So that!

That song is pretty great, but why did they include Earthworm Jim's massive dong in that picture?

#29 Edited by GreggD (4442 posts) -

Not exactly in tune with the criteria here, but I'll take the opportunity to plug this:

It's the opening track to "Where Good Marbles Go to Die", a cover album that pays tribute to the Marble Madness soundtrack. The whole thing is goddamn amazing, and highly cerebral. Toss on a good pair of headphones and get lost in this one. Oh, and the album's on Bandcamp, and does not require a donation (read: you can get it for free).

#30 Edited by Superkenon (1190 posts) -

@crithon said:

@superkenon: well the game doesn't hold up too well. Like it used Microsoft game service back in the day, it had some unique level designs actually using real world architecture, remember this was the days of Duke Nukem and Quake, so a house really was something difficult to make through level progression and keys to unlock doors. Hell we barely get real world levels until maybe Gone Home. But yeah, also the cool 2d art never did transfer well to the 2D faux 3d engine of dark forces so you has some strange pixelated characters. It wasn't so much a western shoot outs just doom monsters charging at you and unloading.

But yeah, that soundtrack, that soundtrack is so beautiful, the trumpets, man it's so mournful. Worth keeping out to listen to.

Oh, that game's (I daresay ambitious) level designs definitely weren't lost on me. They hit you with it hard early on with that town level, that just gives you free reign to run through all the streets and alleys, and enter I think every single building. So many cool little touches, details, and easter eggs in that stage alone. And then you get cool setpiece areas like the train, and that giant mansion (and its surrounding farmstead) at the end. Cripes, I'm going to end up using those discs for something other than their audio if I keep thinking about this.

Yeah, gameplay-wise it's basically just a reskinned Dark Forces, but it's something really special. Back when Lucasarts was Lucasarts...!

#31 Edited by crithon (2574 posts) -

@superkenon: sigh, they were intending on making a Cyberpunk game with that engine, WOW! Just recalled seeing a few screen shots from Lucas Insider magazine that came inside those boxes. Sigh, it was a different era, before the prequels.... and real proper 3D engines and online play. Microsoft Game thing you launched with a browser.

Ballad of Dr Death

#32 Edited by Cloudunderfire (13 posts) -

Remember Me had an exceptional soundtrack. I just wish the game was as good as the background music.

#33 Edited by BeachThunder (11260 posts) -

A weird topic, but I'm sure that this fits:

#34 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

@glottery: Not just MDK 2 even the 1st MDK's soundtrack was awesome!

On the other hand Ninja Gaiden also had cool BGMs for its action as well.

#35 Posted by mjk0104 (113 posts) -

The two that come to mind are Bionicle Heroes:

And Dustforce, though it got a bit of recognition:

#36 Posted by DeadpanCakes (494 posts) -

It's not that I think they're underrated, but I feel like I don't hear enough about the Ys games' soundtracks.

#37 Posted by stalefishies (324 posts) -

Spacechem is one of those games I really wish more people knew about.

#38 Posted by Marcsman (2873 posts) -

The correct answer is Fat Princess.

#39 Posted by Quarters (1547 posts) -

Not very old, but I don't think Beyond: Two Souls got enough play for its soundtrack. Some really great themes in there, and probably one of the best scores of last year.

#40 Posted by RVonE (4478 posts) -

Not at all the most underrated, but the change in music direction in Mass Effect 2 and 3 seem to have made a lot of people forget the brilliance of the first Mass Effect's soundtrack. I still don't understand why BioWare went with the more generic bombastic sound for ME2 and ME3.

#41 Edited by ShaggE (5980 posts) -

(and the equally excellent Redbook audio version)

Also, maybe not all that underrated, but Far Cry 3 and Arkham City never seem to get mentioned much in these soundtrack threads.

#42 Posted by Toastburner_B (131 posts) -
#43 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -

@fierrze said:

I don't think that it is underrated, but the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack by Amon Tobin can't get enough love. Especially Lighthouse is amazing.

Although I have always loved the game I only recently came to recognise how good the soundtrack is in this. I don't think it's really underrated but is sometimes forgotten. It also got me into Amon Tobin's music which was pretty awesome of it to do

#44 Edited by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

I'm not sure it's underrated exactly, but one soundtrack that really stuck with me that I don't see mentioned all that often, is Okami.

#45 Posted by wemibelec90 (1278 posts) -

I will always stand by my assertion (which is at least partially nostalgia-based) that the SNES version of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers had some kick ass music. Every track in the game is fantastic and brings back tons of memories.

Also, I think that the Ys series is tragically overlooked, both in how fun the games are to play and how kick-ass the music is.