• 0 results
#1 Posted by Yeloow (31 posts) -

I don't think there's ever going to be anything official on global warming, whether it's the same people who said games are cocaine or if abysmal was the other guy and this is the real stuff. BUT while i'm no pro in this subject I would like to say that rather then 2012 then an old ass assumption on something bizarre let alone, this actually has some evidence up it's sleeve witch intimidates me.. maybe not enough to kill my self then drown because i'm probably going to die from my brother in law so..  

Jokes aside I really want to know what others think. 

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2955 posts) -

I'll just walk backwards quietly...this'll end up nasty.

#3 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

OP post: Wat?

As for Global Warming. I goddamn hate it, made my country so blasted warm.

#4 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

I know it's inconvenient ;) 

#5 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

It's probably the thing killing off the bees, so I can say that it is a massive jerk.

#6 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Asrahn said:
" OP post: Wat?   As for Global Warming. I goddamn hate it, made my country so blasted warm. "
Try coming up here to Kiruna and say that.
#7 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

do you mean climate change 
a lot of places are getting colder

#8 Posted by JessicaBoo (404 posts) -

Well all i can say is a lot of places are getting colder rather than hotter. Is a nature thing. Besides all this politicians care about us not leaving stuff on stand by... when the get on private jets everyday fly EVERYWHERE!!! contaminating the air, Las Vegas is a freaking Xmas tree every day, and major citites in the world are lit up like Xmas trees, and they say that is our fault that we dont do anything.  

75% of people have changed their light bolbs to "earth saving" crappy bolbs that brake in two seconds, I wash up with cold water always have is better for my clothes. Not for the enviroment, because hey im using water. And we are not supose to use so much water. I don't understand, 75% of people change for the better. But this politicians do nothing about it. Las Vegas dont help. And yet is our Stand by TV that helps with the global warming?  

I believe is far many things in the world that are worth to care about. Yes i care about my planet... But i care about my family and my bf and my bf family well being much better than this. Sorry if i insulted people.
#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Yeloow said:
" I don't think there's ever going to be anything official on global warming, whether it's the same people who said games are cocaine or if abysmal was the other guy and this is the real stuff."
What in Optimus Prime's name did I just read? 

This sentence makes absolutely no sense.
#10 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

It's not "Global Warming", it's "Climate Change", shit isn't just getting warmer, a lot of factors are changing, and that is why stupid people are "it feels cold so there can't be global warming hurr-durr", though i have to say, only humans are self-centered enough to think we can kill our planet, the planet can deal with this easy, we're just scared of wiping ourselves out

#11 Posted by JoeyRavn (4962 posts) -

As far as I know, global warming (or as hicks91 said, climate change) is a natural phenomenon. The planet has warmer and colder cycles every few centuries. There is proof that in cold places nowadays, like the north of Great Britain, people lived centuries ago in a warmer climate. Houses have been found buried under ice caps, which indicates that people used to live permanently there, probably farming and breeding animals a long time ago.  It is a natural process that has been happening since the Earth came to be. The problem is not the change of the climate itself, but the rate at which the climate is changing today. That's where we humans come into play. The change is so drastic thanks to all the pollution of the last couple centuries that the planet is having a hard time adjusting to it, hence all the problems we all know about. 

For the TL;DR people: I'm not saying global warning doesn't exist, I'm not saying it's not a problem. I'm saying that there's natural global warming and then the problems caused by our reckless behavior.

#12 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Yeloow said:
" I don't think there's ever going to be anything official on global warming, whether it's the same people who said games are cocaine or if abysmal was the other guy and this is the real stuff."
What in Optimus Prime's name did I just read?  This sentence makes absolutely no sense. "
Come on, that is not the worst you've seen on these forums.
#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

its real

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@Red12b said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Yeloow said:
What in Optimus Prime's name did I just read?  This sentence makes absolutely no sense. "
Come on, that is not the worst you've seen on these forums. "
You're right, it isn't the worst; but holy shit!
#15 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Climate change is a better term, "global warming" means the weather is getting more extreme
So the summers will be hotter and the winters colder

#16 Posted by AltonBrown (949 posts) -
@JoeyRavn: Pretty much what you said.
#17 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Global Warming threads tend to go in unfortunate directions...

I think Global Warming is a real problem, and that humans are, if not the primary cause, speeding it along. 

To all of the people who might end up arguing about the science of Global Warming in this thread, save your breath for something more worthwhile. As anybody who's bore witness to a tragically false weather forecast knows, the Earth's atmosphere is an immense, difficult to comprehend system of variables and all sorts of hoopla. The best a layman can usually do, or puts in the effort to do, is latch onto few facts or statistics, ignore anything that seemingly contradicts those points, and bicker. 

And now here's the little observation that I always bring up when Global Warming debates are happening: most of the things that people working to fight against Global Warming suggest we do are things we should be doing anyway. There are a myriad of reasons other than CO2 intake for protecting forests, such as protecting biodiversity. Reducing reliance on fossil fuels can lead to an improvement in air quality, and, if replaced with energy sources such as solar and wind, could provide cheap and clean energy that we don't have to worry about running out of. Even if you don't believe in man-made climate change, surely you can see all of the other benefits that those kinds of environmentalist actions bring.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I'm all for colder winters, not for summers tho, heat makes my skin itch!

#19 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2090 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" There is proof that in cold places nowadays, like the north of Great Britain, people lived centuries ago in a warmer climate."
I can agree. The UK gets a really hot summer roughly every 10 years, where temperatures reach up to the high 30's (centigrade). Most summers, most notably in the last 3 years it has been an overcast nightmare with a couple of heat wave periods. 2007 was the most devastating (which followed on from a really hot summer in 2006) which resulted in two major regions succumbing to flooding. 

May and September tend to be the best months for summer weather.
#20 Posted by TheyLive (32 posts) -

Im a big fan. Maybe Canada will have a proper summer now.

#21 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

I don't know enough about global warming, but I do hate the pollution that exists in this city I live in. Gives the blue sky a nice brown tint.

#22 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Asrahn said:
" OP post: Wat?   As for Global Warming. I goddamn hate it, made my country so blasted warm. "
Try coming up here to Kiruna and say that. "
I've been thinking about it. Fleeing to Kiruna, that is. Seems nice most of the time, around the year.
#23 Posted by dudeglove (7723 posts) -

#24 Posted by Tebbit (4458 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Red12b said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Yeloow said:
You're right, it isn't the worst; but holy shit! "
Autobots, transform, roll out, and check for grammatical errors!
#25 Posted by EternalInfinity0 (163 posts) -
@Asrahn said:
" OP post: Wat?
#26 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I hate the heat, so I guess I despise it? I'm more of a Fall/Winter person. Anyway the only thing I really want us to do is switch over to Hydrogen-powered cars. It's Hydrogen, right? Mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for gas, and also I think it'd just be cool to introduce such a change in the world. If we can change a majority of the cars to Hyydrogen-powered, then it means we can make other major changes too. 

I honestly don't know what I'm talking about, but I hope we don't die. Ok?

#27 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@Tebbit said:

" @Axxol said:

" @Red12b said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Yeloow said:
Autobots, transform, roll out, and check for grammatical errors! "
#28 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Asrahn said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Asrahn said:
I've been thinking about it. Fleeing to Kiruna, that is. Seems nice most of the time, around the year. "
Just remember that we have polar nights and the opposite during the summer, it's a terrible feeling knowing that the sun won't return for months.
#29 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

My investments in Greenland will never pay off if this shit doesn't speed up.

#30 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I'm going to go way in depth, this thread prolly doesn't deserve it but I can try. 

The science behind global warming stacks up. more carbon dioxide makes it hotter. We'll be really fucked when the sea becomes saturated with carbon dioxide, and all of the Carbon emissions go straight into the atmosphere. Then there is a runaway greenhouse effect and we turn into Venus, 200 degrees and sulphuric acid for rain.

The fact is, as long as there is the risk of it happening then we should take it very seriously. 

I think a more pressing issue that Global Warming is the use of hydrocarbons as fuel. Renewable energy ftw.

#31 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

hope that it doesn't exist and the odd heat wave this july and august and such low rain fall in indiana is just a fluke...

#32 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

There is always something wrong going on in the world. 

#33 Posted by Sadisticham (278 posts) -

I don't know if it's true and i can't say i care. I'm not changing my way of life over it because all I'm seeing is hotter summers. Which suits me fine. 

Don't get earth quakes, don't get volcanos, don't get hruricans or tsunamis. Don't get any kind of extreme weather what so ever! So If the worst to come out of global warming is it gets warmer here that's fine. ;D

With that said America is to blame for a huge amount of pollution and such and untill they go green i can't see much point in bothering myself.

#34 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

Nothing is gonna stop it If it is being caused by us because the human race isn't gonna change so very easy. The whole modern age is based around oil and coal I see no changing in the near future. By the time we change it'll already be too late My hopes I'll already be dead by the time the world is so fucked up the human race can't survive.  We can't destroy the planet but we sure can ourselves. 

#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Its a fact that's up for debate because its been utterly politicized. I blame the hippies and their fanciful none-solution solutions.

#36 Posted by dudewhat (71 posts) -

For the past 4 billion years the only thing that created the Earth's atmosphere was the many Volcanoes  that spewed black smoke into the air containing many elements from the core of the earth, the biggest element contained is volcanic smoke is called Carbon. Carbon is very important to the planet earth's atmosphere, as it creates a barrier that keeps the heat from the sun in, their-by warming the Earth. Mars has no atmosphere, and their-for is uninhabitable to humans without 24/7 life support systems to keep humans warm. Venus, our other neighboring planet, has a thick atmosphere created by the many active volcanoes on the planet's surface. This causes Venus to have a thick atmosphere which holds in much of the suns heat.Venus has to much atmosphere, and their-for is uninhabitable to humans without 24/7 life support systems to keep humans from being baked alive. Humans can live on these planets, but only a very few at a time and with the assistance of the 6 billion humans on earth supporting them with many shuttles. 

Plants, from small grass, to large trees, are the roots of all life on earth. All known food chains start at a plant, which consumes Carbon and releases Oxygen. All life on earth eats this carbon (FOOD) and all animals are made of carbon (CARBON-BASED-LIFEFORMS). Plants remove Carbon from the atmosphere and themselves become solid carbon. When a plant dies some of the Carbon is released into the atmosphere, but much of it is trapped in the plants body. As the number of plants is reduced, the amount of Carbon taken out of the atmosphere and placed back into the earth is reduced. This means that even without humans, if someone killed half of the plants on earth, then the earth would create more carbon then the plants can consume. With humans, and the carbon they do create every time they use fire to burn any carbon based matter, every time they burn carbon based fuels, burn wood, burn anything made of carbon, they increase the normal amount of carbon released by volcanoes and normal forest fires into the atmosphere. Combine that with a decreased amount of plants in the world and you have and increased amount of Carbon being created, and a decreased amount of Carbon being consumed by plants.

It is true that Scientists have found that the earth does attempt to correct itself anytime the temperature changes to much. These are called Ice Ages, and they are created when the energy stored at the north and south pole cools the planet down by releasing the billions of tons of 34 degree Fahrenheit fresh water into the oceans from the past million or more years it has been collected there. These periods in earth's history can be studied by taking samples from the south pole. The ice there is millions of years old and shows what the earth's weather was like when the ice was created. These periods usually involve great weather changes, and temperature changes. When the ice is released into the oceans, and all of the oceans cool, the air above them also cools and creates a global cooling effect. 

During these periods of extremes is when animals go extinct. While humans are likely to adapt, the harsher the conditions the more cost the life support systems required. Those with little money, little power, or even little intelligence will not adapt to the new conditions and will go extinct. It could be so bad that no humans survive, but I doubt this as all it takes is 33 humans to reproduce to repopulate the earth. I am more concerned about other animals as 33 of each could be expensive to keep alive and besides scientists and the intelligent rich, as 99% or more of humans are likely to perish to the extremes.

What I know is that the earth, humans, animals that humans protect, and adaptable animals and insects will survive. Hopefully those with power will save at least 33 of every animal and 2 of every sub species of human (read: race) for their DNA (read: procreation) so that nothing of value is lost (read: Genetic Diversity took hundreds of millions or billions of years to create) and that humans may repopulate and decide what they want to do differently. 

There is no reason to worry though, the process has only begun a couple hundred years ago. At worst  you and me will only experience a mini-ice age. It's our ancestors who will have to deal with the bigger ice ages. I expect 99.9% of humans to die to the next major ice age however many years it takes. Eventually life will take back the asfalt filled land.  As dirt is created from dead animals, plants and dung. It will cover all of the asfalt in a couple thousand years of life, less if surviving humans decide to cover it themselves.

The volcanic earth creates less carbon then the full earth covered with plants can consume. So eventually it reaches a point where there is not enough carbon and plants grow slower, while during periods of high carbon plants grow faster as the amount of food in the air increases. Humans are stopping this growth by controlling nature, but when humans die nature will reclaim the land.

TLDR: It won't happen in our lifetime. The earth will survive and nothing of value will be lost. Those with intelligence, power and money will protect that which is valuable. I expect genetic diversity of animals to be high on their list of things they want to protect. Hopefully sub species (read: races) of humans and animals as well as they did create thousands of generations of create. 

#37 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -

Were all going to die

#38 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

Alls I know is that if you fill the atmosphere with a bunch of shit there is probably going to be some consequences.

#39 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2136 posts) -
@JessicaBoo said:
" Well all i can say is a lot of places are getting colder rather than hotter. Is a nature thing. Besides all this politicians care about us not leaving stuff on stand by... when the get on private jets everyday fly EVERYWHERE!!! contaminating the air, Las Vegas is a freaking Xmas tree every day, and major citites in the world are lit up like Xmas trees, and they say that is our fault that we dont do anything.   75% of people have changed their light bolbs to "earth saving" crappy bolbs that brake in two seconds, I wash up with cold water always have is better for my clothes. Not for the enviroment, because hey im using water. And we are not supose to use so much water. I don't understand, 75% of people change for the better. But this politicians do nothing about it. Las Vegas dont help. And yet is our Stand by TV that helps with the global warming?   I believe is far many things in the world that are worth to care about. Yes i care about my planet... But i care about my family and my bf and my bf family well being much better than this. Sorry if i insulted people. "
lol...
#40 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -
@dudewhat:
LOL
#41 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Technically speaking its global climate change; as instead of the world getting hotter, its that some places are getting hotter while others colder. Climates around the world becomes more vicious, unpredictable and radical. The temperate will become too hot in the summer but too cold in the winter. Earth probably won't be turning into a Venus anytime soon, rather more like Mercury where the days are scrouching hot but freezing cold in the nights. Of course, this is only the analogy, because Mercury doesn't have a atmosphere, and we keep pumping in CO2 gas that may eventually turn us into a Venus.

#42 Posted by Fattony12000 (7270 posts) -
@Red12b said:
" @Tebbit said:

" @Axxol said:

" @Red12b said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Yeloow said:
Autobots, transform, roll out, and check for grammatical errors! "
"

#43 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Asrahn said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Asrahn said:
I've been thinking about it. Fleeing to Kiruna, that is. Seems nice most of the time, around the year. "
Just remember that we have polar nights and the opposite during the summer, it's a terrible feeling knowing that the sun won't return for months. "
Being a gamer, lack of sun is hardly my biggest concern. The massive mosqitoes you guys have are undoubtedly worth troubling myself with as long as I can find some peace from the damn heat during summers. Mankind adapts.
#44 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Not a fan of fairytales so we'll leave it at that.

#45 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

I'm not worried about it at all

#46 Posted by crazeekamikazee (11 posts) -

True true true. 98% of environmental scientist believe so. there is no real controversy in scientific community. those who are in opposition to it tend to a a invested interest. i wouldn't believe in it to if my job was on the line.

#47 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I mostly think the arguments over global warming are a sideshow. The fact is, whatever you think about global warming, there are plenty of uncontroversial reasons for ditching fossil fuels. Funding oppressive foreign regimes by buying their oil. Air quality. Efficiency. And let's face it: electric cars are pretty damned cool. There's just something about the internal combustion engine (running on thousands of little explosions every second) that is just way too late-19th and early-20th century. Been there, done that. Let's move on to something better. We don't need to agree on global warming. We have plenty of other reasons for ditching oil. So let's do it already. Most of the global warming argument seems like a proxy for other ideological debates that I don't have much patience for.

#48 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -
@Meteora said:
"Technically speaking its global climate change; "

Technically speaking that's what environmentalists started calling it when 'global warming' wasn't having an impact anymore. The focus tested language of left wing environmentalism does not do much to win me over to their cause.

Like, a good dose honesty would really help. I'm not about to disagree with the modern scientific consensus of the day, but as far as I'm concerned 'climate change' sounds just as slimy and two faced as 'family values' when it comes from a politicians mouth.

#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Not a fan of fairytales so we'll leave it at that. "
Still in character huh.
#50 Posted by supermike6 (3556 posts) -

I think that the climate does change. Quite often, in fact.