• 101 results
NotTheBees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By NotTheBees

Poll What do you think of Louis Ck? (478 votes)

Love him! He's hilarious! 55%
He's funny, not my favourite comedian though. 32%
Never watched him. 5%
Don't like his style of comedy. 5%
He's a big stupid ginger. 3%

Interested to know what the GB community thinks of his comedy.

Just finished watching the first season of 'Louie'. It's a clever show and has some funny moments for sure - the robbery scene - although it didn't have me laughing often. Some of the content - notably Louie's one night stand - was just plain weird.

I've seen a lot of his stand up though and I think that stuff is hilarious.

• 
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51  Edited By RonGalaxy

He's amazing. I usually hate stand up, but he completely changed that. His recent hbo special was a bit of a let down, but that's because I expect the greatest of things from him. Louie is the best sitcom on television

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By DonPixel

I think he is funny and smart.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's great, but I'm getting a bit burned out on him.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He's a big stupid Ginger. I feel like this choice best represents his comedic tone.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

he was better pre-divorce but hes getting back to form now that we are further from that time.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I haven't really heard him but when I have I just didn't really care, but its a small sample size, could be wrong about him

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't wanna sound like a hipster but people are building him up to be the next George Carlin. While that might happen, I don't like how hyped up he gets because it leads to a lot of "He wasn't that great". He's definitely in my top 5 comics of all time though, and I've loved every special he's put out.

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

I like him; if I had to pick though I'd pick Bill Burr over him because of how much he just doesn't give a fuck. That and he did an entire stand up bit that involved him basically cursing out the city of Philadelphia in Philadelphia. And they fucking loved him doing it lol

Burr is definitely in my top 5 too, can't get enough of this ginger cunt and his podcast!

There will never be a new George Carlin. Ever.

But he's pretty great.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a funny guy. Best thing about him though, he looks exactly like a 20 year older version of one of my friends =D

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen anything by him that's even remotely funny.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CK and Bill Burr are my top two favorite stand up comics. Those guys both crack me up.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By cmblasko

@thompson820 said:

@d0tti: @cmblasko: I won't deny that O&A has its moments (the story where a child wasn't allowed to use a toilet at a chocolate store and had diarrhea had me crying) but I find it hard to listen to at times when they essentially harass people on the phone. Even if the people are 100% acting or don't actually care the 'comedy' of those calls is simply mean spirited and gross; one example would be the woman they call whose husband committed suicide and they constantly make crass jokes and also simply abuse the woman. Again, even if this is all acting it's just not funny, as somebody who has first hand experience with suicide I can't find that in any way funny or clever. And yes, these are calls that have been made while Louis was present in the studio and he took part in the abuse.

I totally see where you are coming from in that regard. When they just start beating on someone like that I usually tune out as well.

And yeah, Louis's no angel. I think he is a great comedian and overall seems like a decent human being, but he definitely can be an asshole.

@insane_shadowblade85: Yeah, Bill Burr is awesome. I started listening to his podcast only recently and it quickly became a staple of my weekly rotation.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

The Internet has built him up like the Trent Reznor of comedy. Constantly seeing quips of his used as memes by internet-assholes. Watched only one episode of his HBO show, seemed like his ideology falls in line with that Penny Arcade Gabe guy. Like a conservative Curb or conservative Always Sunny... a lot of the dark without the comedy to back it up.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Internet has built him up like the Trent Reznor of comedy. Constantly seeing quips of his used as memes by internet-assholes. Watched only one episode of his HBO show, seemed like his ideology falls in line with that Penny Arcade Gabe guy. Like a conservative Curb or conservative Always Sunny... a lot of the dark without the comedy to back it up.

Huh? What episode did you see that gave you the impression he's conservative?

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jay_ray

@csl316 said:

I love Louie. The show's fantastic, and I've always gotten great laughs out of his stand up.

Earned a lot of respect from me on this Talking Funny thing:

Loading Video...

I think the 4 guys in that video are the kings of modern comedy.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By dichemstys

Louis is great.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hilarious guy, not my favorite but damn is he funny.

LustRazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Louie is a creative genius. Check out his show on FX. You have to have an appreciation for avant-garde potty humor.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

He's great, obviously and Louie is an incredible show. But I'll agree with some people that his association with people like Opie & Anthony can be a buzzkill sometimes. I'd say the same thing about Patrice O'Neal who was a brilliant comic but got brought down sometimes by associating with dumb fucks like Nick NiPaolo.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I haven't watched much of his stand-up, but I am a huge fan of the Louie TV show.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By beforet

One of the only comedians who actually knows how to do the whole politically incorrect angle without being a giant, flaming asshole. So yeah, I dig him and his style.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By Animasta

he's pretty good, but I'll wait for Louis CK2.

JOKES.

but yeah he's pretty alright and he's always seemed like a nice dude, which (imo) is the most important thing for a comedian.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By wjb

@milkman said:

He's great, obviously and Louie is an incredible show. But I'll agree with some people that his association with people like Opie & Anthony can be a buzzkill sometimes. I'd say the same thing about Patrice O'Neal who was a brilliant comic but got brought down sometimes by associating with dumb fucks like Nick NiPaolo.

Yeah. I'll admit I'm not too familiar with O&A because I came across them years ago and got the obvious and immediate impression that they were typical schmucks on the radio; I purposely try not to seek them out.

That's the thing about watching Louie, I see Nick DiPaolo and Jim Norton and I scratch my head, but I suppose it's a camaraderie thing. Doing comedy for years at the same clubs -- mostly on the east coast -- I suppose you become attached after a while. I guess it's better than Carlos Mencia or Jeff Dunham?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

... Louis CK2.

You need an intervention right now! That was unprecedented and difficult for even me to swallow. I just don't think you can keep going like this!

Back on topic: I've only heard bits and pieces of his standup and a bit of Louie but I definitely think he's super cool and I can totally empathize with him unlike other comedians I simply thought were funny.

NotTheBees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Speaking of different comedians, this guy is my personal favourite. Might be the Irish sense of humour but he's very popular over here. Topically, here's a bit he did on video games.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Love him. His Netflix specials are easily the best stand-up I've ever seen.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

This guy, and Bill Burr are the best.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notthebees: Thanks for posting that. I'm an American and not too familiar with Dara, but he's one of my favorite panelists on QI, so I'll definitely check him out now. That bit was great and hilariously insightful, "I unlocked the content at the store with my credit card!".

Still like Louis better though. ;)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#81  Edited By ajamafalous

I haven't seen any of his standup since his divorce, but I'd say, judging by his old stuff, he's one of my top 10 favorite comedians.

I admittedly haven't watched much Louie, but I didn't really like the couple episodes that I saw.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not funny. At all.

NotTheBees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By NotTheBees

@joshwent said:

@notthebees: Thanks for posting that. I'm an American and not too familiar with Dara, but he's one of my favorite panelists on QI, so I'll definitely check him out now. That bit was great and hilariously insightful, "I unlocked the content at the store with my credit card!".

Still like Louis better though. ;)

he's hilarious, one of the wittiest comedians out there. definitely recommend you check him out.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love him

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched him perform on Netflix, never really gave a good laugh.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The cat's meow.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By Pop

I really like his stuff and his show Louie is really good, I love the combination of drama and comedy in it, his show really is a show about nothing, Seinfeld was saying that his show was about nothing but there was always something happening, in Louie it's really random bits and sometimes there is a story, I think it has great pauses and reactions from him and I like the pacing too.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pop said:

I really like his stuff and his show Louie is really good, I love the combination of drama and comedy in it, his show really is a show about nothing, Seinfeld was saying that his show was about nothing but there was always something happening, in Louie it's really random bits and sometimes there is a story, I think it has great pauses and reactions from him and I like the pacing too.

I don't think that's necessarily true. There is a story in each episode although it's sparse. I don't think it's a show about nothing so much as it's a show where each episode is Louie highlighting or showing a specific theme. Sometimes he really wants you to get it so he hammers it over your head with the comedy club wraparounds. Sometimes he just lets it ride and people with either get it or they don't. As facetious as it probably sounds, Louie is probably one of the most intellectually crafted television shows around right now. I think it can stand toe to toe with the likes of Mad Men and Breaking Bad. There's a lot to it.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love him. Still need to watch S3 of Louie.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of his stuff is too crude for me but I like it overall. His observational humor I do enjoy.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar: I need to know a comedian you do like for comparison.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargegulp: I dunno, I guess my favourite comedian if I have one is Stewart Lee

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's hilarious. He's one of the biggest comedians on the planet right now and he's worked his ass off for it. He's also innovated in the stand-up world by cutting out the middlemen like TV networks and selling his specials directly to his fans without any gimmicks. Not to mention, his show is a perfect example of how giving complete creative control to the artist will bring you nothing but success and tons of Emmy's.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#94  Edited By grilledcheez

Very smart and has unique / interesting material. He is also very good at articulating his thoughts. So yeah, he's one of the best comedians.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By BaneFireLord

@winsord: Very much the latter. I can tell the show is executed very well and there is quite a lot of craft that goes into it, but the awkwardness is too much for me. While his standup of course has similar bouts of awkward, dark humor, when it's right in your face being acted out, it's a lot different.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's fallen off a bit from his rage filled shit marriage days, but he's still good. I'd just personally rather pay to see acts like Bill Burr or Colin Quinn though.

I'm going to be going home to New York in about a month and I'm debating on going to see Quinn's new one man show on Broadway. It's either that or live dangerously and drive out to Mastic in Suffolk County. Either way I'm sure to be mentally scarred.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stand up comics are usually not funny and he is one of them.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember watching Lucky Louie a long time ago and thinking he was pretty funny but immediately forgot about him until these last couple of years as his popularity grew. His stand up is good and I enjoy his show so yeah, I think he's good.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is no George Carlin.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By zeforgotten

Meh, nothing mindblowingly funny about him.
If some of his stand-up shows are being shown on that one channel where stuff goes to keep going when it should've been dead I just watch it.