• 54 results
Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

I am using it for the header of my Tumblr: dixavd.tumblr.com

I am using it along with the background I made to go along with it for both my Tumblr and my Giantbomb profile page. I made it completely in photoshop (I didn't use a template either, drew o

ut the diamond and rhombus shapes, then drew in lines to break up the inside into colours before arranging them and using the Curves tool to affect the different colours of the parts). What do you think of it? (If you want to tell me what you think of my current Tumblr page, I only just started it - hoping to grow it into my thoughts on possibly going into politics).

The aim of them was to look bright and hopeful as well as to seem to have some depth in it with a consistent pattern but without using just one colour so as not to affiliate myself with any specific idea of a political party/movement. I took some asthetic influence from the look of Final Fantasy 13 images and Assassin's Creed's Animus.

It was also suppossed to show off my photoshop and design skills without seeming unproffessional (it is my first time going really in depth with Photoshop, I usually draw something and scan it in to then slightly edit in photoshop or use After Effects to create an image, so I am still learning tricks for it).

----Edit---

I should also probably point out I guess I meant a Header rather than a Logo - my bad.

----Edit---

After some great feedback I have gone back and changed how I did the font; what about this?:

The tex is much shaper and I changed the font, and took out the idea of making the centre the same as the background white so you can see the pattern behind it.

---Edit---

After some more input I decided to re-set the way the font edges were (going individually for each letter). Version 3 is this:

#1 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

I am using it for the header of my Tumblr: dixavd.tumblr.com

I am using it along with the background I made to go along with it for both my Tumblr and my Giantbomb profile page. I made it completely in photoshop (I didn't use a template either, drew o

ut the diamond and rhombus shapes, then drew in lines to break up the inside into colours before arranging them and using the Curves tool to affect the different colours of the parts). What do you think of it? (If you want to tell me what you think of my current Tumblr page, I only just started it - hoping to grow it into my thoughts on possibly going into politics).

The aim of them was to look bright and hopeful as well as to seem to have some depth in it with a consistent pattern but without using just one colour so as not to affiliate myself with any specific idea of a political party/movement. I took some asthetic influence from the look of Final Fantasy 13 images and Assassin's Creed's Animus.

It was also suppossed to show off my photoshop and design skills without seeming unproffessional (it is my first time going really in depth with Photoshop, I usually draw something and scan it in to then slightly edit in photoshop or use After Effects to create an image, so I am still learning tricks for it).

----Edit---

I should also probably point out I guess I meant a Header rather than a Logo - my bad.

----Edit---

After some great feedback I have gone back and changed how I did the font; what about this?:

The tex is much shaper and I changed the font, and took out the idea of making the centre the same as the background white so you can see the pattern behind it.

---Edit---

After some more input I decided to re-set the way the font edges were (going individually for each letter). Version 3 is this:

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1696 posts) -

The diamonds are pretty good, but the text looks kind of hokey.

#3 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

What do you mean by "hokey"?

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

Um, it feels kinda cheesey to me, as if this is what you'd do for a high school project? I dunno.

It's not bad mind, but it just feels a bit off to me.

Checking your tumblr, it does look better on there than on here, but the blurriness of the text puts me off too. Sorry.

#5 Posted by Hunkulese (2652 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Jrinswand said:

Bad

#6 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Why is the text all blurry?

#7 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

@Dixavd said:

@Jrinswand said:

Bad

What in particular don't you like about the text?- the font. the size, blurinness, the colour, the shadow?

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Get some Helvetica up in there and the we're talking!

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

The text is way too blurred. It should be more pronounced.

#10 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Why is the text all blurry?

Technically it is because the text is the same colour as the background and the black version of it that I made slightly larger and put behind it to make an edge of I blurred out to make a shadow. Do you think If I removed the blurr on the shaddow and made it much sharper edge it would be better?

What do you think of the rest of it like the diamonds?

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Text looks blurry and too much shadowing.

#12 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

I love the diamonds, how about you make a pattern out of the diamonds, and make the text cut through them?

If not, clean up the text a bit it's too blurry and lower the drop shadow.

#13 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Um, it feels kinda cheesey to me, as if this is what you'd do for a high school project? I dunno.

It's not bad mind, but it just feels a bit off to me.

Checking your tumblr, it does look better on there than on here, but the blurriness of the text puts me off too. Sorry.

Thanks for going to my tumblr - I specifically made it to fit that page better with the background of the same colour.

Looking up the age of High School kids in America I guess technically I am aprt of it being 17 so that might be to do with it - plus it being my first time using Photoshop really.

What part of the text blurriness do you not like? The shadow or the inner text (which is the same colour as the background) Should I make it all black and sharper? Should I just make it so that the shadow is just an edge and not blurred to look like a shadow? What about the font?

#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

@Dixavd: I mean UK high school, I forget the US go to high school 2 years after us.

For a first use of Photoshop it's a decent effort. The background bit fits real good on the tumblr, but yeah the text. It should probably be a bit sharper, I think. I'm no real expert on this kind of thing, I am just your average dude.

But really

@Coafi said:

I love the diamonds, how about you make a pattern out of the diamonds, and make the text cut through them?

That seems like a good idea, in theory anyway.

#15 Edited by StrainedEyes (1322 posts) -

The text should be crisp. I shouldn't feel like I need an eye exam when I look at a logo. Also the coloring/shading on the diamonds doesn't make much sense.

#16 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Coafi said:

Technically it isn;t a drop shadow just a layer behind in black that I made larger and blurred horizontally - but I will definitely lower it.

As for your first thought I was thinking about that - my original idea was possible akin to how FFXIII did their one in promo images that I have linked on the left. Maybe making a pattern of the diamonds and then cutting them out like they did with Lightning's face?

#17 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Dany: @StrainedEyes: @AlexW00d: @OllyOxenFree: Got it I will definitely make the shadow less prominent and make it sharper when I get the chance to have the time on Photoshop again.

#18 Posted by Panpipe (472 posts) -

Reminds me of when I first started using Photoshop. Suddenly, you have so many tools at your disposal, you're like "SHIT, i should use ALL of the Blending Options."

Basically I feel like the text is bad. The motion blur just doesn't work, the font choice is odd as well. There's kind of a 90s vibe going on. Reminds me of original Playstation era artwork.

If you keep working on your design skills eventually you will see that "less is more". Horribly clichéd, but it's true. Also, steal from other designers.

#19 Posted by Spoonman (75 posts) -

Do the logo in illustrator or corel. Photoshop is raster based(pixels), illustrator is vector based(lines). As soon as you start enlarging a raster logo it looks blurry and crummy. A vector logo will look spot on no matter how it's sized

#20 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Panpipe said:

Reminds me of when I first started using Photoshop. Suddenly, you have so many tools at your disposal, you're like "SHIT, i should use ALL of the Blending Options."

Basically I feel like the text is bad. The motion blur just doesn't work, the font choice is odd as well. There's kind of a 90s vibe going on. Reminds me of original Playstation era artwork.

If you keep working on your design skills eventually you will see that "less is more". Horribly clichéd, but it's true. Also, steal from other designers.

I can see how it seems like that's what I did - but actually I didn't - I only used Curves, Motion blur and Gaussian Blur. I guess I just blurred it too much. I got past the "use everything" mode when using After Effects. I will look through other fonts though, I picked it because in the short amount of time I had to look through them it was one of the few block-y font's that didn't hae the crossing-W like Wikipedia has.

#21 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Spoonman said:

Do the logo in illustrator or corel. Photoshop is raster based(pixels), illustrator is vector based(lines). As soon as you start enlarging a raster logo it looks blurry and crummy. A vector logo will look spot on no matter how it's sized

Does that also happen if I make the image size smaller? Because what I specifically did was made all of it (from the diamonds to the final header) very big and only at the end did I make it smaller?

I will look into illistator though since I have it.

#22 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

I totally see what you're going for, but to be honest, it's not much of a logo. Logos, at least traditional ones, have to be very simple. Either remove the text effects or keep them at a minimum. You should also make some kind of symbol to accompany the text.

If you're going for more of a cool looking header, you're definitely on the right track. The Final Fantasy 13/Assassin's Creed kind of style is an awesome one. I would suggest working on the contrast. The text has really got to stick out against the background. You should probably find a different font as well. For this kind of thing, I'd recommend either Helvetica or a very clean sans-serif font.

I would say that the most important aspect of a professional design is minimalism. Don't rely too heavily on text effects and complicated backgrounds. Simplicity is key. You definitely didn't do a bad job, especially for your first real design. With some work it could be totally rad.

#23 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

sharper text

#24 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Mattalorian said:

I totally see what you're going for, but to be honest, it's not much of a logo. Logos, at least traditional ones, have to be very simple. Either remove the text effects or keep them at a minimum. You should also make some kind of symbol to accompany the text.

If you're going for more of a cool looking header, you're definitely on the right track. The Final Fantasy 13/Assassin's Creed kind of style is an awesome one. I would suggest working on the contrast. The text has really got to stick out against the background. You should probably find a different font as well. For this kind of thing, I'd recommend either Helvetica or a very clean sans-serif font.

I would say that the most important aspect of a professional design is minimalism. Don't rely too heavily on text effects and complicated backgrounds. Simplicity is key. You definitely didn't do a bad job, especially for your first real design. With some work it could be totally rad.

I guess logo was the wrong word - It is much more of a header (I just forgot the word for it). Thanks for seeing my aim of the FF/AC design - glad it wasn't a completely wasted one.

In the end I probably won't have a header for it at all - this Summer I will probably completely redesign how it looks completely but keeping the FF/AC aim. (hopefully trying to learn a bit of HTML too) so this is just a header until then.

#25 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Dany: @StrainedEyes: @AlexW00d: @OllyOxenFree: @Coafi: @Cloudenvy: @Jrinswand: :

How about my new one (edited to the bottom of the main blog post) taking in your input on the text?

#26 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -

It feels like something from the 90's in a bad way.

#27 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I think if you want a logo that's really successful, it has to be monochrome-able. Your logo is too busy for that to be possible, but this is just one amateur's opinion.

#28 Posted by StrainedEyes (1322 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Dany: @StrainedEyes: @AlexW00d: @OllyOxenFree: @Coafi: @Cloudenvy: @Jrinswand: :

How about my new one (edited to the bottom of the main blog post) taking in your input on the text?

That's definitely better. I don't like the diamonds though. They just seem random and unneeded.

#29 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@StrainedEyes said:

@Dixavd said:

That's definitely better. I don't like the diamonds though. They just seem random and unneeded.

Definitely an improvement.

#30 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Suicrat said:

I think if you want a logo that's really successful, it has to be monochrome-able. Your logo is too busy for that to be possible, but this is just one amateur's opinion.

Yeah, I described it wrong - I mean header. I edited that into the main post . It was my fault for calling it the wrong thing.

#31 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I think your header looks way better inverted. Submitted for your approval:

#32 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Your edited logo looks pretty cool, but the cast shadows on the text look like you jave multiple light sources in opposite directions, try and have the shadows cast in one direction.

#33 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Suicrat said:

I can see how it does but foremost before the look is the idea that it is suppossed to look hopeful, clean and proffessional - and seem like it would fit with political discussions (seeming open to new ideas and different beliefs). While I do like it inverted quite a lot it does seem a bit more like board that would be on the front of a night club so it doesn't fit the purpose really. Also the fact that it is much darker with shadows instea dof highlights brings connotations subconciusly of more negative ideas that positive ones which isn't what I am going for though. Thanks anyway (I do still like it).

#34 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Your edited logo looks pretty cool, but the cast shadows on the text look like you jave multiple light sources in opposite directions, try and have the shadows cast in one direction.

Well on the edited one I used the black as less of a shadow and more of an outline (I took the text, mapped it to a copy of the background - then copied the text multiple times increasing the font size each time and then moved the first font to a position so that the black could be seen all around as an outline).

The problem I had with making it be all on one side was that it then meant some of the opposite side didn't have an edge and so it might have made it more difficult to read exactly what the letters were.

If that makes sense?

I will try your idea anyway - give me a couple minutes and I will get back to you.

#35 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I don't see politics when I look at your original header, I see steel manufacturing or crystallography.

Also, if your blog is about politics then a gloomier look would be more appropriate :P

In all honesty though, I don't think excessive amounts of white equal positivity.

But again, these are the opinions of someone who does not get paid to think about these sorts of things.

#36 Posted by DrShilliams (86 posts) -

The first thing to ask when designing any logo is "what is the rationale?", they should be built on a strong ideas and concepts. A logo is often the first visual identifier for a brand. As such it should either visually and conceptually reflect the values and intended perception of that brand.

Despite the claim of it being a header image, I think as soon as you introduce the type it is effectively acting as a logo. That's obviously not necessarily a bad thing, just keep it in mind.

From a technical standpoint take a look at the kerning (the spacing between the letterforms). Notice especially the disparity in the amount of spacing between the A/V and V/D. A good way to resolve kerning issues is to look at the letters in triplets and ensure the optical spacing looks "right". Unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule to this so if you're serious about this kind of design have a play around.

#37 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Dixavd:

I think it could work if the outlines on the text on the non-shaded side were clear and thick enough, so yeah we'll see how that works out.

But the shading being on one side would give the letters a blocky feel that would work well, it would look like a slightly angled thick lettered sign or something.

#38 Posted by Zleunamme (652 posts) -

What works against the logo is using a drop shadow, a gradient and generic sans serif. The typeface being used is Arial Black. Those things affect the legibility of the logo. Making it hard to see and the intended idea is not being conveyed. I agree with what said. Logos should be done in Adobe Illustrator. What can help you the most do your planning before going to the computer. Be familiar with the tools you are using. Watch this video, this was shown in my design seminar class when I was in college. It's intended to be a joke but these are basic dos and don'ts of graphic design. I hope this of help to you.

#39 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

@Suicrat said:

That looks like it was ripped straight of a VHS from the 90s.

I'm biased towards the clean white look though.

#40 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I like your second one, but professionally speaking, i make my logos in vector, something like adobe illustrator, in 1-3 colors.

#41 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Dixavd:

I think it could work if the outlines on the text on the non-shaded side were clear and thick enough, so yeah we'll see how that works out.

But the shading being on one side would give the letters a blocky feel that would work well, it would look like a slightly angled thick lettered sign or something.

I had a try to make it work - I think I figured out a way of doing it.

Did you mean like this?

(I did it by make a black outline of it by enlarging and then centering each letter individually so it wasn't skewed in the middle of the entire thing - then added another moved to the right to create a stronger side on the left.

#42 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Suicrat: I know it doesn't directly qual negativity - but I do want to stay away from darker colours anyway.

#43 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@Suicrat said:

That looks like it was ripped straight of a VHS from the 90s.

I'm biased towards the clean white look though.

That's kinda why I like it. That just shows you my bias.

@Dixavd: That's fair, it's your design afterall.

#44 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Dixavd:

I had a try to make it work - I think I figured out a way of doing it.

Did you mean like this?

(I did it by make a black outline of it by enlarging and then centering each letter individually so it wasn't skewed in the middle of the entire thing - then added another moved to the right to create a stronger side on the left.

Yeah exactly like that. I think that looks really good.

#45 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -

The one you've put up now fits really well on your tumblr. The outline helps a lot.

#46 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

you should remove or change the color of the triangle things on the left. my eye goes straight there when i look at it. good on the new one.

#47 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Here's another idea.

I did this hastily in Paint, I'm pretty sure Illustrator can do this better with its layer-management features if you have the original file.

#48 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@Suicrat: I can easily do that (takes a little time to then resize it to fit the tumblr page but that is really it). I thought about it before and make change my mind later but I did decide egainst it as I liked how the background pattern mixed with the rest of my Tumblr (especially with the triangle/wing/wave of diamonds underneath). Thanks for doing that though and show that at least someone else was thinking about it - when I get to ask some of my friends and talk about it I will mention it and might change it to your idea.

@mracoon said:

The one you've put up now fits really well on your tumblr. The outline helps a lot.

Thanks, It took a while last night for me to figure out the sizes of the pictures and I tried to keep to it with each new change to the header. Good to know it was worth it.

@MikkaQ: Cool, glad I figured it out - thanks for the idea I am much happier with it.

#49 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Yeah, mracoon is right. The diamonds on the side of the header draw your attention to the most recent post. Looks good in context.

... I just don't see how equal opportunity could ever possibly be a necessity, but that's off-topic :p

#50 Posted by Spoonman (75 posts) -

Just a idea, in looking at it on you tumblr page, if it were mine i'd tone down the background diamonds just a touch. I agree with others in that they lead in nicely to your feed, but in just looking at your logo text the diamonds in the back fight with it a little bit. Logo design can be super frustrating if you let it, but it's nice to see the progress you're making, keep on it it looks good.