What do you think of my production company logo?

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dr_nefarious
No Caption Provided

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think it's difficult to read. It'd be a lot better if you put the text underneath the three reels. Also try it in pure white, just to see how the shape reads.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Logos need to be perfectly legible in black and white

Not a good logo at all to be perfectly honest. Although that's coming from a layman, not any type of designer.

Nach0Sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be careful with serif fonts as well they can be very dissonant with logos. Try a sans serif and stick to one color. I would try to simplify the image and keep the reels separate in case you ever want to use the logo in a text free situation. Reels are a good idea to work with.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

It sucks. Try one where you have the name above three film reels that are just laying on the floor on top of each other.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Levius

To be brutally honest, it looks like a logo you would see at the beginning of a bad FMV game from the 90's. I think a more minimalist design/font would be much more contemporary and professional looking, but feel free to ignore me as I have literally no experience in the field.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Just some thoughts in no real order.

The coloring makes it reel messy. (see what I did there?)

The font should be a different color than the stuff it's over or better yet, not be over anything at all.

The text apart from the reels has a very... umm... crowded look to it as well. The front portion looks as if you're going for some decent typography but as soon as the "R" in Reel cuts into "Production" it all falls apart.

The "P" in production being lined up with the "R" in Tri makes absolutely no sense as the tail end of production lines up with nothing at all.

The reels themselves if taken away from the words don't particularly evoke film reels.

I'm not entirely sure there's anything in this one worth saving and you may be better off starting fresh rather than trying to fix it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Maybe I should call in professional logo/avatar maker @papercut

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the feedback guys. Yeah the font needs to be fixed for sure. I really just wanted an opinion on the actual design. Does it look too similar to the triforce? I don't want any law suits on my hand.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By csl316

I think it looks pretty neat, but too difficult to quickly read.

If you need to do a double take on a logo you've instantly lost someone that won't make that effort.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, its hard to read.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I enjoyed the feedback guys. Yeah the font needs to be fixed for sure. I really just wanted an opinion on the actual design. Does it look too similar to the triforce? I don't want any law suits on my hand.

No. Have you considered using just one reel?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

needs more drop shadow and bubble writing

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@turboman: Oh, you flatter me.

I think it looks pretty good. The overall design is strong, I would just change a few things...

If we are just talking about the design and ignoring the typeface, I would recommend designing the reels just slightly more. Simple is better when it comes to logos but the way it is now I do not instantly read it as three film reels. I was thinking add the hole in the center were you would actually mount the reel.

More importantly though I think the color scheme you have right now is too busy. The two golds and the black are going to distract from whatever you end up putting in front of it. I think it would be much stronger if you changed the the black circles to the same yellow around them. That way it wouldn't pop forward as much. I think this would also make it look more film reel-y because realistically what would be behind the holes would be one single colored film reel.

Finally I'd mess around with the spacing between the reels. Things almost touching but not quite touching is annoying to our eyes and it also creates some distracting shapes when you put them behind text.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have gold text on top of gold reels. The font is ripped straight from The Lord of the Rings. And then the circles in your reels have something weird going on. On the right side of each of the circles there is a protrusion.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cluttered and hard to read. Like others have already suggested, trying maybe putting the film reels next to, above or blow the name. Get rid of the serif font. I realize it's stylized, but still maybe look up what film reels actually look like...

In short, you're trying to do too much. Minimal is almost always better.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

the text and the background blend too much

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bones8677

You'll want something closer to this.

No Caption Provided

Simple, clean and clear.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Castiel

Duders and Bronies, it's okay, I got this:

You don't have to thank me.
You don't have to thank me.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Needs more flames. Something like this:

No Caption Provided

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@dr_nefarious: Here's some ideas for you

Loading Video...

Main thing that's wrong with your logo is that it won't work at all in black & white, that is pretty important if you are actually going to use it for business purposes.

It's also hard to read, you should be able to read it just by glancing at it.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By expensiveham

You should make it look more like this:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The actual design is nice, though maybe too many reels like @beachthunder said.. Maybe have two and have them overlap all cool-like?

You have gold text on top of gold reels. The font is ripped straight from The Lord of the Rings. And then the circles in your reels have something weird going on. On the right side of each of the circles there is a protrusion.

dem eyes wid dat eyesight

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Monkeyman04
No Caption Provided

I would like my check in the mail. =P

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Font? Yeah, just like the other people said, Wrong placement. Having them be almost the same colour as the reels makes it unlegible. Also, pick a better font (HELVETICA).

The actual logo? The reels look off. They look more like gun cylinders than film reels. Look on Google Images for some pictures of real reels.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea, but it's simply to hard to make out the name of the company.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Difficult to read. That's my constructive criticism.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Very hard to read.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nach0sanchez said:

Be careful with serif fonts as well they can be very dissonant with logos. Try a sans serif and stick to one color. I would try to simplify the image and keep the reels separate in case you ever want to use the logo in a text free situation. Reels are a good idea to work with.

I just want to point out that a serif typeface can work totally fine with a logo when used properly. Sans-serifs are more common for logo design to be sure, but they don't always capture the "classic" look quite the way a serif face can.

Anyway, I think this has a few big issues that should be fixed, but you've got the concept down which is the first step towards success!

- Avoid putting type on top of the graphic. Besides making it hard to read normally, the logo simply won't work in black & white, and forget about stuff like shirts or embroidery. I think a simple layout with text under the graphic is what you're looking for. Look at other production company logos (I'm thinking of the Weinstein one specifically but there's loads more).

- There's some weird jaggies on those reels. Not sure if that's just the upload or what, but I would open up Illustrator (if you don't have it maybe find someone who does) and redraw those as nice clean vectors. Reels are just circles so it shouldn't be too hard. Forget about the shading and drop shadows for now.

- The Lord of the Rings bevel *can* work, but it needs to be done well. For now I'd just stick with plain type

- This is just a suggestion, but I would avoid using small caps. Again, they can work, but for something like this I think you just want all caps.

That's all I got for now. Good luck!

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little overworked.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Pretty horrible. Use @monkeyman04 logo.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically do everything quoted below would be my assessment.

The font should be a different color than the stuff it's over or better yet, not be over anything at all.

The text apart from the reels has a very... umm... crowded look to it as well. The front portion looks as if you're going for some decent typography but as soon as the "R" in Reel cuts into "Production" it all falls apart.

The "P" in production being lined up with the "R" in Tri makes absolutely no sense as the tail end of production lines up with nothing at all.

The reels themselves if taken away from the words don't particularly evoke film reels.

I'm not entirely sure there's anything in this one worth saving and you may be better off starting fresh rather than trying to fix it.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@geirr said:

Basically do everything quoted below would be my assessment.

@fobwashed said:

Thank you for bringing my attention back to this thread. Some of the work you guys have done is just fantastic. Lol.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By agentboolen

@dr_nefarious: I like the type but don't care for the reels. The problem for me is there basically 3 big circles near your type (ignoring all the little circles). I would consider even just one reel, With the type. Or shrink the reels they seem really big and dominating.