• 75 results
#51 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

moving out and saving money for a trip to Japan, and i've graduated so all I need now is a job so I can actually make money again.

Ever thought about applying for the english teaching program (JET)? That is a cheap way to spend a lot of time in Japan.

iirc you need a degree for JET and it's overpopulated as hell, not worth the hassle for just a trip.

I think you don't really get paid that well either? Unless that's changed...

#52 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

Getting all toned and muscular

Nothing, it's a work in progress.

#53 Posted by twhalen (126 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Just play video games. Always, without interruption.

Boring, frustrating life obligations.

That's me exactly.

#54 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

moving out and saving money for a trip to Japan, and i've graduated so all I need now is a job so I can actually make money again.

Ever thought about applying for the english teaching program (JET)? That is a cheap way to spend a lot of time in Japan.

iirc you need a degree for JET and it's overpopulated as hell, not worth the hassle for just a trip.

True too, it's mostly for people who want to go to Japan but are doing it on a whim, I don't understand people who want to live there without a solid knowledge of the language. :/

#55 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

True too, it's mostly for people who want to go to Japan but are doing it on a whim, I don't understand people who want to live there without a solid knowledge of the language. :/

Well, there's probably people like me who will never actually learn a language unless they get forced to use it, who already know most of the basic structure and stuff of the language. I guess most people just figure they'll learn it while there, though most of them hardly learn anything.

#56 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

Well, there's probably people like me who will never actually learn a language unless they get forced to use it, who already know most of the basic structure and stuff of the language. I guess most people just figure they'll learn it while there, though most of them hardly learn anything.

I just don't know how people expect to enjoy day to day life without being able to read kanji, confuses me.

#57 Posted by Fawkes (233 posts) -

I'd like to be able to read/speak Japanese/Korean, program a video game, draw an art, play a keyboard or a guitar, lose 30 pounds.

What's stopping me is that I can never stay motivated for more than a month.

#58 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

What I want: getting paid to teach highschool.

What's stopping me: not having a teaching license (for another 6 months).

#59 Posted by bananaz (254 posts) -

I've got two big ones.

1. Write a sci-fi novel: laziness, time pressures.

2. Buy a bunch of apartments in a poor neighborhood (near my house), then set up a non-profit to create/maintain low-income housing that lets me hold fund raisers and pay no tax, letting me lower the rent by a ton, then live there, making a reasonable salary as the non-profit's "CEO". The salary can be tiny, because I can afford it with my own non-profit paying for my utilities and it's owns the place. With enough money, the non-profit can renovate the place with common areas, parks, etc. (big if, though) My grand ambition is self-sufficiency. A perpetual motion machine that keeps economic pressure off my back, so I can save some money and not feel pulled apart.

What's stopping me? Money, and lack of knowledge of how to do any of that stuff.

#60 Posted by PistolPackinPoet (206 posts) -

I wish I could stop being so god damn lazy. I wish I could actually fulfill my plans

#61 Posted by Video_Game_King (36025 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I just don't know how people expect to enjoy day to day life without being able to read kanji, confuses me.

I've read too many horror stories about people living in Japan for a while and not learning the language as a result of it to know that this is indeed very possible. It's probably even more possible than understanding that bulky, unwieldy sentence.

#62 Posted by rachelepithet (1349 posts) -

I wish I could go to college, even if it wouldn't land me a career, just to better myself.

Colleges are conservative. Supremely. They are ruled by alpha male, racist, homophobe, mysoginist, date raping, test cheating, drug dealing, daddy's boys. Even if they're not bullying me, I feel sorry for their other victims, and powerless to do anything to stop them. They are unstoppable mainly because the teachers/staff either get donations from their parents, buy drugs from the male or have dom-sub sex with the female preppy students, or they just plain believe in libertarian atheist ideology: that life is dog eat dog, perfection and money are the reasons to live, and all the undesirables (fat, low brow, laymen, colored, female, poor) must be naturally unselected. They're objectivists, they care only of your MLA formatting, grammar, and punctuation, not of what content you actually have to express in any essay. It's all about image, pretending to be smart, or rather, "classy."

I can not, or better, refuse to comply with being thin and dressing "fine", having a parted haircut, any of that bullshit.

My first experience with college was a state school, no less, inviting me on a weekend visit and tour the summer between HS and college, then cancelling the bus that was supposed to bring me without ever telling me, leaving me stranded thirty miles from home where my grandparents dropped me off at the bus stop, and some 80 miles still south of the college.

My second experience with a state college was a neo nazi Columbine type kid, who for one must not have done a damn thing to deserve acceptance to any school, lest you believe college is nothing but a chirade to empower spoiled brats... this "kid" (legal adult) calls me words only Call of Duty players are fit to, in the classroom in front of the professor, and all the punishment he receives is the RA trying to get us to "shake hands" as if it were equally my fault. I had reported him to school officials for tormenting his openly gay roommate behind his back, making threats and what not, and word got out that I was the tattletale. He tormented me outside my dorm door all night, threatening my life. And I was the one forced to drop out and to this day, 6 years later, pay off $5,000 tuition for that one week I ever went to that state college...

My third experience with college was the community college's orientation assembly, which, mind you the reason school is supposed to exist is to teach human beings SCIENTIFIC truth and enhance their intellect to improve their quality of life.... in that PUBLIC COLLEGE assembly we get bombarded with advertising propaganda from Bank of America, get free baseball caps from the Army, which is recruiting on fucking campus, some "Mommy Blogger" type woman (chicks who receive gifts from corporations to write fake positive reviews of products) is there to give a "seminar" (a real pillar of integrity in our society, seminars) about sexuality- in the most Seventeen Magazine "how to make hot boys like you!" "girls talk like this guys talk like that" immature, lowest common denominator, Kardashian bullshit meant for females that get pregnant at 18, not go off to an institution of math and science and literature! Finally, the master of ceremonies, some bullshit motivational speaker, again, an occupation built to make moolah off of dumb people, pumping up the LEGALLY ADULT LISENCED DRIVING REGISTERED VOTING SEXUALLY CONSENTING audience of 18-22 year olds, "What's everybody's favorite Jonas Brothers song?!?!?!"

Yes, the Mormon Christian idealogy perfect Disney band meant for pre schoolers to twelve year olds, teaching youngsters to not make love until marriage (which is weird because said little kids wouldn't be fucking each other anyway, even if they weren't raised Christian). That band, that band, is what legal adults, who are considered smarter than me, more deserving of an education than me, listen to. That toddler singalong band. I walked out of the assembly, and dropped out by the end of the school year, after a black man was arrested in class for having an automatic weapon in his bookbag.

My fourth experience was as a cashier in a town with a yuppie, formerly all female, private college. Being harassed, degraded, humiliated, and tricked by these so called feminist heroes, drunk sluts who come in to shoplift makeup despite their education costing $50,000 per year, trying to buy cigarettes without ID, putting poor "low class, uneducated" me at risk of losing my job and having a criminal record if I cave into their flirting and let them have their hipster smokes. Fuck my life. Our school system teaches us to DARE not use drugs, that druggies never make it in life, and certainly racist wealthy conservatives make it so that so much of the African American population in our country "deserves" to be in prison over drugs... Yet those preppy girls, young women, students at a school whose own brochure brags about how sophisticated they are- and zero tolerance they are on drug use, come into my CVS bragging about all the weed they have in their rooms. I fucking love weed. I don't live that democrats go to prison over it and libertarians go to Ivy League schools over it.

I want to be smart, but intellectuals in our society are just to 'dumb' in their own special way, to deal with.

I want a college without bullying, violence, rape, snobbery, standardized tests or anything that makes intellect a contest (outside of Jeopardy! There's a time and a place don't get me wrong), fashion, cliques, pervy teachers, mean teachers, where the student body matches the actual racial gender and orientation percentages of the country itself, and one where were able to talk frankly about college itself and education itself and what the fuck is going on in our culture. Why are people so fucked up the guardians of intellectual progress? Only I maybe two days of a sociology class do we ever discuss what's wrong with "the system" itself. How do we ever solve things like global warming, or express ourselves through the beauty of a cello concert, in a society were women, blacks, gays, and poor people are barely accepted into intellectual 'good ole boys club' fields?

I was a 7th grader once, I know that it's hard to resist having fun when you're supposed to be learning. But when I was that 7th grade class clown, my peers scolded me, told me to grow up. They were right. I listened. Now my worst nightmare seems to have happened, 18-24 year olds are as obnoxious as I was at 12, but worse, no one scolds them, they get to live college as one big $50,000 a year party, the kind of party you'd throw with your parents of town in 7th grade, only the skinny pretty bullies invited, but with cocaine and date rape; and reap the rewards of a diploma and grown up career handed to them when the party ends.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate being labelled as dumb in a world full of valedictorian, Dean's list making, but Chastity Ring wearing, reality TV watching, New York Post reading, Abercrombie shopping, MSN.com browsing, middle-management cubicle assholes.

#63 Posted by rachelepithet (1349 posts) -

And I know it's spelled license. Fuck autocorrect.

#64 Posted by DukesT3 (1892 posts) -

Losing weight and being healthy.

Too lazy.

#65 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I don't want to do anything anymore. Nothing's stopping me. A job well done for once in my life.

#66 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

Oooooooh, lets go down the list: 1. Finding some friends who live near me. Whats stopping me? A combination of not liking a vast majority of people I meet, it just not working out for reasons that are nobody's fault, and not knowing enough new people. 2. Finding a job. What's stopping me? Too much schoolwork. 3. Not feeling lonely all the time. What's stopping me? See 1. 4. Getting better grades. Granted, I got better grades than I ever have this semester but I could always get better grades. What's stopping me? I have no idea- sometimes I feel that I just can't do any better. That's about it? I think?

#67 Edited by Atlas (2430 posts) -

Man, I could mention a LOT of stuff here.

But a big wish of mine is to write a novel, and what has stopped me is a lack of determination, persistence, and discipline, as well as self-doubt and anxiety that nothing I produce will ever get finished and/or will ever be read by anyone ever.

Another one is to make friends and meet more like-minded people. But for a bunch of reasons, I'm just too insular, introverted, and plagued by social fears to make the effort needed to build friendships.

Also lose weight. I'm lazy, depressed, hate exercise, and love to eat. Bad, bad combination. But I need to do it eventually, as I'm over 290lbs now (I'm 6"2 and built solid but still got way too much fat on me).

#68 Posted by cruxking (204 posts) -

get my firearms licence, i already have a few guns so i really need to get on that. why don't i do that? cause whatever, cops don't raid my house often so i'm fine.

#69 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Get a job.

What's stopping me? Cornwall and its lack of work.

#70 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

Become a superhero. Reality.

#71 Posted by csl316 (8122 posts) -

I got most of what I want. Money seems to be the limiting factor for the rest.

#72 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I wish I could: LIVE FOREVER

But ENTROPY is stopping me.

#73 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

I wish I could work out more and see the results.

Held back by my weak body and procrastination.

#74 Posted by broseph_m (1 posts) -

Start a goat farm.

Crushing student loan debt / lack of land.

#75 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Dude, I read your whole post and it's so fucking great to know that someone finally fucking gets it. College is such a scam, most of my high school graduation year filled with loudmouth, vapid, talentless idiots all went to state colleges or private universities while I have to stew it out in community college and I'm smarter than all of them. But that's besides the point, what you said about state college orientations? Completely true, and what you said about community college advertising? Also completely true, it's just disgusting how it seems like the whole country is against you when it comes to education, it makes me want to just give it all up and just start going on the road as a stand up comic already.

To be honest, I'm only getting a degree for my parents, thankfully the tuition I'm paying right now is only a few hundred per semester but transferring out of here to actually get a degree? That's a whole different beast entirely. Anyway, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this way regarding education, thanks for the entertaining read.