What do you wish you could do and what's stopping you doing it?

• 74 results
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By shirogane

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

moving out and saving money for a trip to Japan, and i've graduated so all I need now is a job so I can actually make money again.

Ever thought about applying for the english teaching program (JET)? That is a cheap way to spend a lot of time in Japan.

iirc you need a degree for JET and it's overpopulated as hell, not worth the hassle for just a trip.

I think you don't really get paid that well either? Unless that's changed...

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By psylah

Getting all toned and muscular

Nothing, it's a work in progress.

twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By twhalen

@FluxWaveZ said:

Just play video games. Always, without interruption.

Boring, frustrating life obligations.

That's me exactly.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Sooty

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

moving out and saving money for a trip to Japan, and i've graduated so all I need now is a job so I can actually make money again.

Ever thought about applying for the english teaching program (JET)? That is a cheap way to spend a lot of time in Japan.

iirc you need a degree for JET and it's overpopulated as hell, not worth the hassle for just a trip.

True too, it's mostly for people who want to go to Japan but are doing it on a whim, I don't understand people who want to live there without a solid knowledge of the language. :/

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By shirogane

@Sooty said:

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

True too, it's mostly for people who want to go to Japan but are doing it on a whim, I don't understand people who want to live there without a solid knowledge of the language. :/

Well, there's probably people like me who will never actually learn a language unless they get forced to use it, who already know most of the basic structure and stuff of the language. I guess most people just figure they'll learn it while there, though most of them hardly learn anything.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By Sooty

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@Shirogane said:

@Sooty said:

@HerbieBug said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

Well, there's probably people like me who will never actually learn a language unless they get forced to use it, who already know most of the basic structure and stuff of the language. I guess most people just figure they'll learn it while there, though most of them hardly learn anything.

I just don't know how people expect to enjoy day to day life without being able to read kanji, confuses me.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Fawkes

I'd like to be able to read/speak Japanese/Korean, program a video game, draw an art, play a keyboard or a guitar, lose 30 pounds.

What's stopping me is that I can never stay motivated for more than a month.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Turambar

What I want: getting paid to teach highschool.

What's stopping me: not having a teaching license (for another 6 months).

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bananaz

I've got two big ones.

1. Write a sci-fi novel: laziness, time pressures.

2. Buy a bunch of apartments in a poor neighborhood (near my house), then set up a non-profit to create/maintain low-income housing that lets me hold fund raisers and pay no tax, letting me lower the rent by a ton, then live there, making a reasonable salary as the non-profit's "CEO". The salary can be tiny, because I can afford it with my own non-profit paying for my utilities and it's owns the place. With enough money, the non-profit can renovate the place with common areas, parks, etc. (big if, though) My grand ambition is self-sufficiency. A perpetual motion machine that keeps economic pressure off my back, so I can save some money and not feel pulled apart.

What's stopping me? Money, and lack of knowledge of how to do any of that stuff.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#60  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

I wish I could stop being so god damn lazy. I wish I could actually fulfill my plans

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Sooty said:

I just don't know how people expect to enjoy day to day life without being able to read kanji, confuses me.

I've read too many horror stories about people living in Japan for a while and not learning the language as a result of it to know that this is indeed very possible. It's probably even more possible than understanding that bulky, unwieldy sentence.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By rachelepithet

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By rachelepithet

And I know it's spelled license. Fuck autocorrect.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DukesT3

Losing weight and being healthy.

Too lazy.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By frankfartmouth

I don't want to do anything anymore. Nothing's stopping me. A job well done for once in my life.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By Atlas

Man, I could mention a LOT of stuff here.

But a big wish of mine is to write a novel, and what has stopped me is a lack of determination, persistence, and discipline, as well as self-doubt and anxiety that nothing I produce will ever get finished and/or will ever be read by anyone ever.

Another one is to make friends and meet more like-minded people. But for a bunch of reasons, I'm just too insular, introverted, and plagued by social fears to make the effort needed to build friendships.

Also lose weight. I'm lazy, depressed, hate exercise, and love to eat. Bad, bad combination. But I need to do it eventually, as I'm over 290lbs now (I'm 6"2 and built solid but still got way too much fat on me).

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By cruxking

get my firearms licence, i already have a few guns so i really need to get on that. why don't i do that? cause whatever, cops don't raid my house often so i'm fine.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Hitchenson

Get a job.

What's stopping me? Cornwall and its lack of work.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NiKva

Become a superhero. Reality.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#71  Edited By csl316

I got most of what I want. Money seems to be the limiting factor for the rest.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ravenlight

I wish I could: LIVE FOREVER

But ENTROPY is stopping me.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By NiKva

I wish I could work out more and see the results.

Held back by my weak body and procrastination.

broseph_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By broseph_m

Start a goat farm.

Crushing student loan debt / lack of land.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Dude, I read your whole post and it's so fucking great to know that someone finally fucking gets it. College is such a scam, most of my high school graduation year filled with loudmouth, vapid, talentless idiots all went to state colleges or private universities while I have to stew it out in community college and I'm smarter than all of them. But that's besides the point, what you said about state college orientations? Completely true, and what you said about community college advertising? Also completely true, it's just disgusting how it seems like the whole country is against you when it comes to education, it makes me want to just give it all up and just start going on the road as a stand up comic already.

To be honest, I'm only getting a degree for my parents, thankfully the tuition I'm paying right now is only a few hundred per semester but transferring out of here to actually get a degree? That's a whole different beast entirely. Anyway, it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this way regarding education, thanks for the entertaining read.