• 77 results
Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: What do you yell when you see a VW Beetle and punch someone's arm? (186 votes)

"Slug bug!" 24%
"Punch buggy!" 46%
Other 10%
"I've never heard of that game. It sounds needlessly violent." 13%
Results 8%

I dunno if it's regional, but I always used "slug bug!" growing up, only learning about "punch buggy!" very recently.

I want to know if my childhood was abnormal.

#1 Posted by EuanDewar (5023 posts) -

for me it was always hit someone when you see a yellow car

#2 Edited by Scrawnto (2454 posts) -

I don't play this game, but the phrase "Eat a dick!" popped into my head. Now I can't stop chuckling, thinking about shouting that and punching someone's arm when I see a Beetle.

#3 Edited by mlarrabee (2990 posts) -

@scrawnto: And if it's blue, it's "eat a bag of dicks!"

#4 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Slug bug, of course. Who the fuck says "Punch buggy"?

#5 Posted by Sinusoidal (1638 posts) -

Never heard of "slug bug", but "punch buggy", yeah, all the time growing up. *WHACK* <color> punch buggy, no return! Wow that pissed some people off.

#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5333 posts) -

Punch Buggy here, what is this "slug bug" bullshit?

From midwest in case anyone wanted to try to figure out some pattern of regionalism.

#7 Edited by MikkaQ (10313 posts) -

"Punch buggy, no punch-backs."

In my time, a boy had to cover his bases. Slug Bug is just weird, I don't know where people come from where that seems normal.

#8 Edited by SerHulse (685 posts) -

I don't know about VW Beetles, it was always "yellow car" where I'm from. (the North of England)

Usually followed by "no punch backs" of course, don't want to leave yourself open to a counter-punch.

#9 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Beetles? I used to play ''yellow car''. Then you just said ''Yellow car!''

#10 Edited by RazielCuts (2971 posts) -

#11 Posted by SomeJerk (3296 posts) -

"Get down Mr President!"

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

I don't play this game, but the phrase "Eat a dick!" popped into my head. Now I can't stop chuckling, thinking about shouting that and punching someone's arm when I see a Beetle.

This made me laugh. The only reaction I can imagine is just a sobbing, confused "Why?"

It was always "slug bug" when I was growing up. Never heard of "punch buggy" but that's not nearly as good. It doesn't even rhyme.

#13 Edited by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

I always thought that Padiddle was a much more fun game (I play/played the older version - kisses are much better than punches)...

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5805 posts) -

"You're making me do this."

#15 Edited by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

@internetcrab said:

This as well.

Although I do distinctly remember hearing punch buggy on TV once, the Simpsons I think.

Slug Bug makes zero sense.

#16 Edited by StarvingGamer (8364 posts) -

Punch Buggy

EDIT: But I don't actually play Punch Buggy, and if other people try to play Punch Buggy, I retaliate by playing There's a Car.

#17 Posted by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

SLUG BUG!

#18 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3901 posts) -

I don't play that damn game. My friends have learned not to play that damn game, cause the times they've yelled "punch buggy no punch back!" and hit me, they get punch back.

Cause I don't play that damn game.

#19 Edited by Jams (2962 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@razielcuts said:

@internetcrab said:

This as well.

Although I do distinctly remember hearing punch buggy on TV once, the Simpsons I think.

Maybe it's an American thing. Slug and socking are two different slang terms for punching somebody (in the US ((or maybe California?))). Though I think they're usually for when you punch someone in the arm and not in a serious way. So basically punch bug.

#20 Edited by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

Punch buggy.

#21 Posted by oldenglishC (970 posts) -

Punch in the arm?

Stop playing the game like a pussy.

#22 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

"Hitler did nothing wrong!"

#23 Posted by Trilogy (2672 posts) -

"Punch Buggy, no returns!"

#24 Edited by Milkman (16996 posts) -

Punch buggy. I've never heard of slug bug.

#25 Posted by Mister_V (1371 posts) -

@internetcrab said:

This.

#26 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

They're both stupid.

#27 Edited by Winternet (8025 posts) -

Uhhmm.... wat?

#28 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

"Boble!" .. also, Yellow Car is a thing here as well. and if the Beetle is pink you get to punch a person again!
Apparantly it's a stupid game to play when the driver of the car you're in initiates the game and then you suddenly see on, punch him on the arm and his arm twitches for a few.
Wuss

#29 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@jams said:

@alexw00d said:

@razielcuts said:

@internetcrab said:

This as well.

Maybe it's an American thing. Slug and socking are two different slang terms for punching somebody (in the US ((or maybe California?))). Though I think they're usually for when you punch someone in the arm and not in a serious way. So basically punch bug.

No, when you really slug something, you hit hard. (Though not in this game.) It's not just a California thing, either.

And also, "Slug bug" rhymes.

#30 Edited by Sterling (2439 posts) -

Anyone who thinks this game is stupid, is too young to remember a time when video games and social media was not the norm and people actually left there houses to find fun.

Green slug bug, no slug backs!

#31 Edited by Sgtpierceface (629 posts) -

"Punch Buggy". It is, and always will be "Punch Buggy".

#32 Edited by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

punch buggy, no punch backs

#33 Posted by VoshiNova (1697 posts) -

Cunt!

#34 Posted by ConfusedOwl (952 posts) -

Punch Buggy no punch backs is what we always said.

#35 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

We say "Punch Buggy (insert colour of the beetle)" in Australia. I've never heard of slug bug..

Punch buggy is way better.

#36 Posted by EchoEcho (830 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

"Punch buggy, no punch-backs."

In my time, a boy had to cover his bases. Slug Bug is just weird, I don't know where people come from where that seems normal.

This is what I grew up with. Never heard the term "slug bug" until now. The "no punch-backs" part was also super important.

#37 Edited by Bane (427 posts) -

Slug bug of course. Never heard of punch buggy until this thread.

We played perdiddle too, the hit the roof version.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#39 Edited by Slay3r1583 (620 posts) -

Slug bug

Although occasionally I would hear people say punch bug.

#40 Edited by ThePickle (4185 posts) -

"Punch buggy, no punch back!"

#41 Edited by MonetaryDread (2066 posts) -

WTF??? Why would you punch someone if you see a beetle? That sounds like a shitty thing to do.

#42 Posted by Ben_H (3377 posts) -

"Punch buggy, no returns"

I once punched my big brother like 5 times in the back of the head when we drove by a VW dealership.

#43 Edited by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

Normal people say "Slug Bug".

#44 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@jams said:

@alexw00d said:

@razielcuts said:

@internetcrab said:

This as well.

No, when you really slug something, you hit hard. (Though not in this game.) It's not just a California thing, either.

And also, "Slug bug" rhymes.

Yeah I can confirm it's not only a California thing. I lived in North Dakota as a kid and that's all anyone said. "Slug bug! No slug back!" I'd never even heard "Punch buggy" before today. It doesn't even rhyme!

#45 Posted by Itwongo (1215 posts) -

Slug Bug, you dirtbags

#46 Posted by Reisz (1516 posts) -

"I'm an asshole!"

I kid, I kid.

#47 Posted by myketuna (1723 posts) -

I put my friends in their place whenever they attempted to play this game with me as a kid. I've heard both terms. Friends saw both fists.

"Hey, no punch backs." "I'm playing my own game now, motherfucker." I'm a great friend.

#48 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

People still do this?

#49 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Slug Bug. At least in California.

Almost impossible to play now since VW Beetles are extremely rare to see.

Usually it would be "Slug Bug *color* " and then the sound of someone getting hit.

#50 Edited by Getz (3092 posts) -

Almost unanimously Punch Buggie here in MD. The guy I work with STILL plays this game and I swear he's just inventing cars because I never see them.