• 106 results
#1 Posted by Fobwashed (2223 posts) -

I haven't read all but I've read enough Star Wars books that take place after the original trilogy to know that there's a whole lot of stuff that's already happened and has been accepted as canon in the universe. Does a new movie mean that all those books will become fan fiction or will they be working the new movie into what already exists?

Someone hold me. . .

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

It'll be Episode VII: All Ewoks, All the Time.  

Seriously though, we'll just have to wait and see. For all we know, it could be thousands of years in the future.

#3 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2222 posts) -

Lucas already dismissed the EU as non-canon before, anyway.

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

It's actually all the movies backwards in one film.

Also all the characters are replaced by puppies

#5 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

it highlights the fact that star wars is fiction and any-the fucking-thing can happen

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

Extends it?

#7 Posted by Fobwashed (2223 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

It'll be Episode VII: All Ewoks, All the Time. Seriously though, we'll just have to wait and see. For all we know, it could be thousands of years in the future.

That'd be somewhat acceptable I suppose. The 1000s of years, not the ewoks. Though it feels like the first 6 episodes all took place with relatively similar-ish time jumps between them.

@Dallas_Raines said:

Really? That's pretty nuts. All the books I've read so far all seem to acknowledge the existence of each other's storylines. I guess something new is better than something old. Thanks for clearing that up for me. . . as depressing as it is.

#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Yeah, I imagine the EU will be ripped to shreds and that there is a very stressed publishing company desperately trying to call someone at Disney to "do lunch" and/or "touch base"

#9 Edited by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

Disney bought all Lucas studios for 4.05 billions and announced star wars 7 for 2015... or is my local news making shit up.

#10 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Yup. Even though lots of EU stuff puts Lucas' braindead drivel to shame, it is still essentially treated as fanfiction even though it's written by respected authors who've done tons of research and published and approved through the proper channels.

Lucas reserves the right to shit on years of quality for him to make drivel insulting to all taste and intelligence so he can make more toys.

You're never gonna see a Zahn trilogy of movies exist to give Star Wars any sort of credibility as anything else than a CG factory to push toys as long as Lucas draws breath.

#11 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

They just take the already awesome book stories and make them into films? Seems almost too easy really.

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@Fobwashed: What, no they didn't, The first three are, what, like 10 years apart, and the last three are back-to-back.  

Maybe it's not "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" anymore, and midi-chlorians have infected a middle school in New England somewhere, and one special boy who's down on his luck discovers that he is the chosen one and has to save the music department from budget cuts.
#13 Posted by flindip (534 posts) -

I think the wrong way to approach a new film is to put a numerical linking on it.

Just Star Wars: sub title is good enough.

You can have the traditional scroll and all that stuff, just no numbers added to it.

#14 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

Really? That's pretty nuts. All the books I've read so far all seem to acknowledge the existence of each other's storylines. I guess something new is better than something old. Thanks for clearing that up for me. . . as depressing as it is.

A lot of the EU completely contradicts itself, mainly because every author wants to make their character the most "badass Jedi who ever lived" and they all have to be shoe-horned into the events of the movies somehow. I think about 20 different people were responsible for stealing the Death Star plans and handing them over to the rebels, for example.

The producers of the Clone Wars series have tried pretty hard to maintain some of the continuity from the books, such as Asajj Ventress' past, so whoever's in charge of the new movies might be a big enough fan to try and work some of that in.. but strictly speaking, if it's not in the movies or the Clone Wars, it's not canon.

#15 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -

I think not going by what happens in the books would be lame cause some of them are real damn good. Just do the Hand of Thrawn trilogy, there's your movies. I'm not getting my hopes up until I hear positive news but the fact that its not more prequel stuff alone has be slightly excited. So tired of that.

#16 Posted by wrecks (2317 posts) -

All Yoda All the Time.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Press release says that the Extended Universe is no more for the new movies.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (15131 posts) -

I want hot Ewok sex scenes.

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
@Demoskinos said:

I want hot Ewok sex scenes.

For the love of science, be careful what you wish for.
#20 Posted by TheHBK (5561 posts) -

Fixes it. Seriously, all that shit in the books feels so damn rehashed. Does every fucking skywalker a generation have to become a Sith Lord? Lucas has clearly stated that the 6 movies are about Vader and Luke. But to have all that branching stuff about the Solo twins and the stories that take place later on with the hippie Cade Skywalker are trash.

Look, all I am saying is that it is clear what this movie needs to be about. It has to be about Han Solo riding around the galaxy in the Falcon picking up bitches.

#21 Edited by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

I bet they are going to work long and hard before they even go into Pre-Production, as to not Irk the fans

@Sackmanjones said:

It's actually all the movies backwards in one film. Also all the characters are replaced by puppies

I totally read that as 'It will be backwards compatible with the films'..

Also Rorie will be psyched at the Star Puppies!

#22 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Isn't that what Star Wars 1313 is trying to do? Star Wars but with no wizardry?

Also:

#23 Posted by RioStarwind (577 posts) -

Better to just consider whatever you like to be your own personal canon. Doesn't really matter what they consider to be factual since it is all just a made up story after all.

#24 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6094 posts) -

Chewie never died, fuck RA Salvatore... is something I would have cared about 10 years ago

#25 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I think the real question we should be asking ourselves is how goddamn crazy the next Kingdom Hearts game is gonna be. Or not.

#26 Posted by Fobwashed (2223 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Fixes it. Seriously, all that shit in the books feels so damn rehashed. Does every fucking skywalker a generation have to become a Sith Lord? Lucas has clearly stated that the 6 movies are about Vader and Luke. But to have all that branching stuff about the Solo twins and the stories that take place later on with the hippie Cade Skywalker are trash.

Look, all I am saying is that it is clear what this movie needs to be about. It has to be about Han Solo riding around the galaxy in the Falcon picking up bitches.

If they turn the new movies into a paper thin clone of Firefly, I'm in.

@EvilNiGHTS said:

I think the real question we should be asking ourselves is how goddamn crazy the next Kingdom Hearts game is gonna be. Or not.

I tried my best to play Dream Drop Distance but I feel like that series has gotten to a point where if you haven't played the previous games, the story is going to be a low impact bag of nonsense. I'd rather they rebooted that franchise so that players new to the series can fully enjoy them -_-;;

#27 Posted by Gnubberen (783 posts) -
#28 Posted by Jazzycola (658 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Yeah. I bought the first book of the Jedi Academy trilogy and tried to read it. It was horrible, convoluted, and up it's own ass with references. I like star wars, but I don't like star wars enough to sit through that mess. I got to the point that they started talking about how the Emperor was revived and I was like yeah, no thank you.

#29 Posted by Rebel_Scum (775 posts) -

What Does a Star Wars Episode VII Do To Existing Canon?

Shit all over everything! ha ha

#30 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -

The Adventures of Jar Jar Binks and Wicket Through Time

#31 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

It's actually all the movies backwards in one film. Also all the characters are replaced by puppies

Oh god, yes. I said I wouldn't play ball and pay money to see a new Star Wars movie, but I'd take that right the heck back if that made this movie.

#32 Posted by Shortbreadtom (860 posts) -

It's basically Pulp Fiction but with Han and Chewie. Oh, and the gimp is C3P0. Made of black metal. And the only word that Chewbacca can say is "motherfucker".

#33 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

You say that. However he did throw his wait around to destroy a number of it on purpose. Right to shorten it, Boba Fett is a Manadalorian. Manadalorians are a warrior culture not a race. They have a planet called Mandalore as we know from KOTOR games.

Well Karen Traviss who wrote Gears of war books and the GOW3 was writing a bunch of stuff about Boba Fett, Mandalorians and with the great books Republic commandos. About the Clones being a slave army realy. So alot has to do with Manadalorians. Mandalore is a wide expansive green and blue planet with little int he way of civilisation as Mandalorians dont sit for very long before leaving.

So thats that....George Lucas has said the EU universe is its own thing, he focus on TV and movies. What he does is Retconn ALL that. So that is now fits with his Clone wars CGI serise when they show the episode of the Mandalorians on Mandalore, Were they are a peace loving RACE, and they became peaceful since the nuked their planet and turned it into an inhospitable desert.

He then forces the books to comply aswell. Karen Traviss was on her last book of the Commando serise with the second Imperial Commandos book (The clones after order 66) however Lucas says It must come in like with the Cartoon.

Which is impossible when Mandalorians have already been written one way...and then they are changed. And more so it wasnt Karen Traviss that laid the base for Mandalorians it was a wealth of other writers adding over time. While she decided to expand it and Lucas decided to destroy.

Making reconning absolutely impossible, the book was impossible to wright. and thusly ruining EU for me and Star Wars.

So I welcome change.....I am not bitter.....FUCKING LUCAS!!! FUCK OFF!!! YOU EVEN GO BACK ON WHAT YOU SAID IN 82!!

#34 Posted by Brodehouse (10127 posts) -

I said this in the other thread but whatever.

Expanded canon kind of leaves off around 43 ABY (43 years after the first movie). It's now 36 years after that movie. There was mention a long long time ago about a 7-9 trilogy taking place a long time after 4-6, where Luke is training a padawan in the spiritual side of the Force, acting as the Obi-Wan character, and that the padawan had somehow survived the Clone Wars. Then that Clone Wars cartoon starts and they have this padawan Ahsoka Tano who is Anakin Skywalker's student; do you think that show will end with her being cut in half? Or would they end up frozen in carbonite, rediscovered 40 years later, and trained by an older Luke Skywalker? Played by Mark Hamill aged 40 years?

#35 Posted by Fobwashed (2223 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I said this in the other thread but whatever. Expanded canon kind of leaves off around 43 ABY (43 years after the first movie). It's now 36 years after that movie. There was mention a long long time ago about a 7-9 trilogy taking place a long time after 4-6, where Luke is training a padawan in the spiritual side of the Force, acting as the Obi-Wan character, and that the padawan had somehow survived the Clone Wars. Then that Clone Wars cartoon starts and they have this padawan Ahsoka Tano who is Anakin Skywalker's student; do you think that show will end with her being cut in half? Or would they end up frozen in carbonite, rediscovered 40 years later, and trained by an older Luke Skywalker? Played by Mark Hamill aged 40 years?

I am in favor of bringing back Mark Hamill. Hell, everyone. That'd be freaking brilliant to have them reprise their roles as aged versions of their former selves. . . A new dream is born.

#36 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

I was right in the middle of reading a book of Luke and Mara Jade meeting up with Chiss to find the old Jedi ship. I was half way through when all peril they put Luke or Mara is pointless and thus forth the book is. As I had been reading Star wars books that had none movie characters in it and they could die any time or people around. Luke I know what happens I had read the 40 years ABY.

So I have gave up on reading any book focused on a movie character. And yet Karen Traviss gets eveicerated over Mara Jade..

#37 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

It means that the EU is now, theoretically, unshackled from the "no post-RotJ material" mandate.

In other words, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

#38 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

I've lost most of my affinity for the star wars universe, but this part of the BBC article is just fucking depressing as hell:

In a statement announcing the purchase, Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.
That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said.
#39 Posted by RPGee (763 posts) -

I realise now that I only have affinity for a very limited set of Star Wars stuff: the original trilogy, the KOTOR games, and the Republic Commando game because it was awesome. So really I shouldn't be as disappointed in this whole affair as I am.

Damn it all.

#40 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

SHIT ALL OVER IT. Star Wars is going to turn into Star Trek with a zillion different episodes that scream, TAKE MY MONEY!

#41 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Fuck the EU. Or not, I don't care. But it's about goddamn time something happened with the franchise.

Hell, if they have any sense they use the Old Republic (not the game, the era)for their next films.

#42 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

This is all I can really come up with.

#43 Posted by ChuckDeNomolos (73 posts) -

Honestly, this is the best thing for Star Wars. The EU is trash, so ditch it, and putting it in Disney's hands is great because I don't think they're going to make a "mature" Star Wars. I want to see a new trilogy with new blood at the helm making another great movie that appeals to kids, but adults can sit through and enjoy. Anyone bitching about this is a man-child, while there's far more terrible things in our entertainment industry. Shit, they made a direct-to-DVD sequel A Christmas Story, and I don't see anyone up in arms about that classic.

#44 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -
#45 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

He is given way too much credit for creating Star Wars then he actually deserves. He mostly just bought the rights.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

All I gotta say is that anyone who accepts the star wars books as canon is totally nuts.

#47 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1182 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

All I gotta say is that anyone who accepts the star wars books as canon is totally nuts.

Whatever man, if sentient multi-dimensional space Jello is nuts, I don't wanna be sane.

#48 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -
#49 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@MikkaQ: why of all things is that non cannon? :{

#50 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

I kind of agree. The Expanded Universe stuff tries a little too hard to make every generation more significant or interesting than the next. However, I want the new movies to follow, at least in broad strokes, the lore that has already been established. If they do something extremely different than what is already out there in terms of story line then I think it will render much of the EU pointless. I mean that is the cool thing about Star Wars. The saga expands so much beyond the movies.