• 82 results
#1 Posted by notdavid (821 posts) -

I never had an original Xbox until recently, when I bought a used one on a whim for around $30. Because of that, I didn't play Halo until it had been out for 10 years. I couldn't help feeling underwhelmed. Not because it was lacking in quality in any way, but because I came to it well after its time. This got me thinking about other games that I missed. Landmarks that I'll never be able to experience as they were intended. Some of them are below. What games do you wish you could have played at the proper time?

Super Metroid

Deus Ex

Baldur's Gate

Half Life

GoldenEye 007

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36000 posts) -

Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate, from that list. I'll probably update/chime in as the thread develops.

#3 Edited by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

Everything from Nintendo and every JRPG. Feel no need to try them.

#4 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

i never played quake.

but some of the other ones i played after their primes and was sorely disappointed. specifically HL2, which bored me to tears, and halo, which i still don't understand why people love so much.

super metroid though, that shit still holds up today.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I've never played Baldur's Gate either, never really had a desire to!

#6 Posted by deerokus (533 posts) -

Diablo II

#7 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

I can't say I've ever played a landmark. It'd be pretty fun to play the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower, though.

#8 Posted by Levius (1076 posts) -

The only mario platformers I've really played more than 30 minutes or so are Sunshine and the Galaxies.

Most of the big name fighting games

The God of War games, even though I kinda like the genre

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

It'd be pretty fun to play the Statue of Liberty

ClayFighter: Sculptor's Cut

#10 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

The only mario platformers I've really played more than 30 minutes or so are Sunshine and the Galaxies.

What?

Not that I'm super into Mario games myself, but that's...Crazy to me.

#11 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

@notdavid said:

Super Metroid

Deus Ex

Baldur's Gate

Half Life

GoldenEye 007

All of these plus FFVII, and any of the Zelda games. That's probably just the beginning of the list, though.

#12 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

The only ones i can think of are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus.

I've literally played every other game ever.

#13 Posted by notdavid (821 posts) -

@Canteu: Normally I would tell you that those hold up well enough, but other people keep telling me the same thing about the first Half Life.

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (11695 posts) -

@Canteu said:

I've literally played every other game ever.

So, what did you think of Rapelay?

#15 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@BeachThunder: Honestly? The beds are fucking huge and the gameplay is flat.

To the rest of you. Yes. Whatever you're thinking of, the answer is more than likely yes.

#16 Posted by notdavid (821 posts) -

@Canteu: How was Toylet?

#17 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

There alot off old RPG games I haven't played like Baldur's Gate, Daggerfall and such. Oh and never played games like Rapelay either, I guess they count as gaming landmarks don't they?

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Sonic.

#19 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

Goldeneye is the only real landmark on that list.

#20 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -
#21 Posted by Levius (1076 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@AmatureIdiot said:

What?

To be fair the first Nintendo console I had was the N64, Super Mario 64 just didn't click with me at the time, and I was also a massive Sonic fanboy when I was a kid.

Still, its weird when people talk about the classic Marios as all time classics, as I just don't know.

#22 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AmatureIdiot said:

What?

To be fair the first Nintendo console I had was the N64, Super Mario 64 just didn't click with me at the time, and I was also a massive Sonic fanboy when I was a kid.

Still, its weird when people talk about the classic Marios as all time classics, as I just don't know.

Yeah same, and I never really enjoyed Super Mario 64 either. Though I had a massive obsession with Super Mario Bros. when it was released for the GameBoy.

#23 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

I have never played a Zelda game and really don't have any drive to rectify that.

#24 Posted by drGiggless (222 posts) -

I just recently re-beat Ocarina of Time and Mario 64. They have both held up really well. They are truly two of the greatest games ever made.

#25 Posted by Harkat (1100 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 1

Any JRPG

Deus Ex

System Shock

#26 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Never played Quake, GTA San Andreas, Halo and GoldenEye 007.

Those are the ones that first come to mind.

#27 Posted by kurtbro900 (117 posts) -

Any of the older Bioware games. Didn't get to play them then, don't care to play them now.

#28 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Ocarina of time and FF7.

#29 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

(all franchises)

System Shock

Thief

Baldur's Gate

Deus Ex

Doom (incl. Wolfenstein)

Quake

Sonic the Hedgehog

Ultima

Any Final Fantasy from the post-SNES era

--

many of them are on my to-do list (mostly from the first half of the list)

#30 Posted by Pobearo (108 posts) -

The biggest regret of my gaming life is not finishing shadow of the colossus. :(

#31 Edited by Schatzy23 (159 posts) -

Super Metroid

Any Final Fantasy Game

Pretty much every FPS computer game

Half Life 1

I'm sure there are plenty more that I could keep adding more to. Maybe I'll do a list on my profile for all the rest that I remember.

Edit: Yep, created a list. Large amount of shame to look at.

#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Never played any gtas except 4. Never played either half life's. No mmos ( particularly WoW). I think that's it as far as landmarks. Oh I never played doom or quake

#33 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I've actually played most landmarks, actually, I just have actually beaten very, very few.

I've never played a Metroid game, though, so I guess that makes me a bad person.

#34 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

@kurtbro900 said:

Any of the older Bioware games. Didn't get to play them then, don't care to play them now.

That. Well, I've got KOTOR 1 and I've played 2, though beaten neither, but I've never played Jade Empire or anything before the KOTOR's and don't care to.

Also, I've played maybe a grand total of 30 minutes of Grand Theft Auto. Not of one game, but totaling only 30 minutes.

I've also never played System Shock 2, but I plan to fix that soon enough.

#35 Posted by Lorbst (77 posts) -

Call of Duty games

Super Mario Kart (Why! i'm an asshole!)

Fallout

First Pong console

Farmville

Vic Ribbon

Virtual Boy

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

#36 Posted by OneManX (1680 posts) -

To this day, still never finished Ocarina of Time.

Owned it on N64, Roms/Emulators, even bought the 3DS rerelease, never finished I get th Master Sword clear the first dungeon and I just stop caring.

#37 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

I've at least tried pretty much all the big games, the few I've missed have been because of hardware limitations. That means no Ps3 games whatsoever, barely any gamecube ones and anything before the PSX era. Though I've taken it upon myself to finish most of the big Snes games, like 20 years after they came out. No regrets, Super Metroid and FFVI are up there among my favorite games.

@Red: Super Metroid is the only one you probably really should try out. I'm not too fond of the prime series.

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i never played a final fantasy game. i don't think it looked all that interesting to me.

pretty much any FPS on the computer. i never had a good computer to play them on, until now.

#39 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@notdavid said:

Super Metroid

Deus Ex

Baldur's Gate

Half Life

GoldenEye 007

Every one of those. Also, I've never played any games from the Silent Hill series and the only Resident Evil I've played is 4

#40 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Resident Evil 1-3

Silent Hill 1 & 3

Final Fantasy 7-9

There's a lot of popular games that I haven't played.

#41 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Anything that's been PC exclusive since 1997.

#42 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

Never played a Zelda game. Never played a Halo game. Never beat a Castlevania. Chrono Trigger is the only JRPG I've ever beat. I tried and gave up on HL2.

#43 Posted by Modedude (36 posts) -

A very large amount of old PC games. And Final Fantasy VII.

#44 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Tennis For Two

#45 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

I can't say I've ever played a landmark. It'd be pretty fun to play the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower, though.

Trust me, it's overrated.
#46 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Probably every great 8-bit and 16 bits game. Also haven't played Starcraft and most PC exclusive games.

#47 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Planescape, and I've never played any Metroid game or many of the old point and click adventure games.

#48 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i never owned a ps2 or 3 so i missed out on all the playstation exclusives

#49 Posted by Shindiggah (350 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7(which is strange because I've played many other games in the series)

Super Metroid

Wolfenstein 3D

those are the only three I can currently think of honestly.

#50 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@MikkaQ: I have so got to try that some day!