What if Activision could force Jeff to remove his Black Ops 3 review?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This is a hypothetical based on a possible misunderstanding concerning another review website that I visit, www.allmusic.com

I've been going to that site for years now, and I was using it to check up on some artists, when I noticed something strange. Tori Amos' more recent music has been hit and miss with me ever since the early 2000s, but I recently heard she co-wrote a musical, and I wanted to see allmusic's take on it. Her biography is still there, her previous album reviews are still there, but her new musical was listed and not reviewed. When I clicked it, this came up instead:

Due to label restrictions, we are no longer permitted to display this information on AllMusic.

I decided to dig a bit more, and found this in their FAQ:

Q: Why can't I find Bryan Adams on AllMusic?

A: Due to the request of Mr. Adams, we are no longer permitted to display his information on AllMusic.

I thought perhaps it had to do with the song clips the site uses, so I went looking for a review that didn't feature sound clips, and I soon found one with a band well known for bootlegs, Dave Matthews Band. Their Lillywhite Sessions bootleg features a full review and no sound clips, so I don't know what's going on anymore. Anyone happen to hear anything else about this?

Was the threat of a lawsuit somehow enough to get someone's critical opinion removed from the internet? Allmusic seems to be prevented from saying anything more, and all I'm seeing is speculation, but this is really a garbage precedent to be setting if true.

I mean Black Ops 3 is fun, and Jeff is wrong, but I don't think he should be SUED over it or anything.

Seriously though, this is fucked up.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you tried browsing their forums (if they have them) or emailing the writers instead of speculating?

They don't have forums. I've looked elsewhere online, and apparently they've said nothing more than what I've posted, and that the situation is frustrating for them. Sounds like a legal situation to me, but I'm open to other possibilities.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By davidh219

I noticed that same thing. Yeah, it's real shitty and weird.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By billymaysrip
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm pretty sure someone can't force you to take down a fair review.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Reviews are definitely fair use. This is really weird. actually does anyone remember those blurbs in books something like "it is illegal to reprint portions of this book unless for review and something something purposes"

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a forum post discussing the Bryan Adams thing: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/isnt-this-censorship-bryan-adams.327614/

It's more likely that AMG took down all mention of Bryan Adams just because they didn't want to deal with a suit - not because they were actually in the legal wrong. Reviews are very explicitly covered under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

That's kind of what I assumed, but I find it appalling that copyright holders are allowed to engage in this sort of bullying. Just something to keep and eye on, IMO.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Reviews are covered by Fair Use, and Giant Bomb is owned by CBS, who would definitely have the resources to take something like this to court.

Now if the review was actually slanderous or ill-informed is a different story altogether. I don't think we'll get a review like that out of Jeff.