#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Imagine a scenario, in which we knew of the Earth's impending destruction - in 50 years. Be it mad scientists opening a black hole on Earth, an astroid on a collision course, the sun burning out - that's about the gist of it.

Would humanity get its shit together and prevail? Would we lose it, and doom our species to eternal oblivion? Would only the very best survive, and what comes down to 'the people' be left to perish like cattle in a drought?

#3 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

Black hole? Hell no.

Asteroid collision? Maybe. We have Bruce Willis.

Sun burning out (which is not going to happen anytime soon)? No.

We are barely on the verge of colonizing our own moon. We aren't ready for that type of shit yet. If something like this were to happen in the next 50 years, we would all be screwed. And the sad thing is if we all knew what was coming we would probably wipe each other out before then.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (11854 posts) -
@Trainer_Red said:
if we all knew what was coming we would probably wipe each other out before then.
#5 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Some of these proposed doomsday scenarios KINDA make a huge difference, OP.

#6 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

Anything that required humanity to work together would doom us all. Even if it was something as simple and achievable as not pushing the button that says "End of the World" on it.

As you can tell, I have no faith in humanity as a whole.

#7 Posted by Itwastuesday (934 posts) -

If it was something humanity could do something about, I'd say yes but probably only on year 49.

#8 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Prevail against what? It would depend on the circumstances.

#9 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#10 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I have more faith in humanity than the average person so yeah, I think we'd prevail.

#11 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

No way in hell would we prevail. Too many people would go ape shit and start looting for some reason. It would be every man for himself and we would just end up with a huge death toll in the first year for no reason other than mass hysteria. Also, because people know this, they would no release it to the public until they absolutely had to. The best thing for humanity, is to not know about it.

#12 Posted by Neonie (431 posts) -

Only in fiction

#13 Edited by believer258 (11642 posts) -

I doubt it.

The only scenario you've mentioned that's anywhere near possible anytime soon is an asteroid hitting the Earth, and oddly enough that's also the only one whose solution I think might be feasible. Otherwise, it really depends on the kind of apocalypse you're talking about. Space stuff? Like the sun going out or a black hole being created near our planet (not possible, by the way)? No, we are not surviving that even if we could co-operate.

I'm not one of those terribly cynical "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" types, but humanity cannot agree on a single thing as a whole. Even to save our entire race, I don't think we could work together enough to avert a world-ending disaster. I think that if somehow the Earth were knocked into a state of horrible disrepair but still with breathable air, drinkable water, and edible food (think Fallout), and some of humanity survived, our race would live on because we're tough sons of bitches when you get right down to it, but the one thing we cannot do well is co-operate.

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5544 posts) -

I'm not under the impression that humanity is a collection of shit bags like everybody else in this thread, so maybe. Im not saying we'd all hold hands and sing Kumbaya or anything, but if it came down to the extinction of our species and we were certain there was a way to stop it if we worked together, I think we could manage a temporary alliance. 50 years is a really long time. Long enough that we would have time to raise the worlds premiere scientists from birth. And I don't think total hysteria would set in, hell the majority of us would be dead by the time it happens anyways. If anything I think our battle would be against public disinterest, not panic. Really it all depends on the doomsday event though.

#15 Posted by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Id like to have more faith in humanity but i think as they years ticked by from the time this was known hope would turn into dismay and people would just go bat shit crazy as civilization fell apart in the end.

I can see it being possible to save a small portion of humanity but it would still have to be large enough to have a decent gene pool and repopulate at a fast enough rate.

#16 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Seems pretty dependent on the particulars of this impending catastrophe.

#17 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -

I think that if this situation would ever happen, we would see most, if not all, of our resources put towards groups to solve whatever the issue would be.

That, or if it was some event that we didn't think we could stop, we would see all of our assets go towards NASA and space exploration, and we would (hopefully) see an advancement in space faring technology we previously thought impossible, up to and including finding another planet to colonize.

I think that as arrogant and dickish as some of humanity can be, when we are reminded of our mortality, we will fight as hard as we can to stay alive. Maybe that's part of our arrogance :D

#18 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

Well, it depends on what is causing the "end of the world".

Super-Volcano exploding? I think we could survive that pretty well, with 50 years preparation.

Giant Asteroid? With enough forewarning, yes, I think in 50 years we could create the technology to deflect the asteroid or at least steer it off course.

Rogue Black Hole? Even if we did see it, there's no hope - we're all doomed unless we get off the planet all together. Which I don't think is possible in 50 years.

As for the Sun Running out of fuel - that will take roughly 5 billion years, no sooner, no later. Assuming humans are around in a billion years or so, I'm confident we would have colonized another planet by then.

I am convinced that with enough scientific development, humans will survive - but we have to move to other planets. If we stay only on Earth, our extinction is guaranteed.

#19 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

History's taught us that humans are most selfless and helpful in times of need. So 7 billion people working towards one common goal with a 50 year dead line, yeah I think it would be pretty easy to achieve.

#20 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (944 posts) -

@haffy said:

History's taught us that humans are most selfless and helpful in times of need. So 7 billion people working towards one common goal with a 50 year dead line, yeah I think it would be pretty easy to achieve.

Wait, what? History taught that?!

#21 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

How would we know about the catastrophe?

#22 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

The elves would go into the west and diminish, and men's weakness would be their undoing. The lands would be covered in a second darkness.

The time of the pomeranian would begin.

#23 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

@haffy said:

Wait, what? History taught that?!

Pretty common for this type of thing to happen while at war.

The war effort

Everyone was asked to help win the war, by making extra efforts and working harder on the 'home front'. Children saved pennies, collected scrap metal and food waste, and knitted woolly hats for soldiers and refugees. BBC Children's Hour ran a scrap-collecting competition. The winners collected 9 tons of scrap.

With so many men away in the Forces, millions of women worked in factories, on buses and trains, and in hospitals and schools. Around 80,000 women joined the Women's Land Army to work on farms. By 1942, 400,000 British women were serving in the army, navy and air force. Women pilots flew planes from factories to RAF bases.

Also just look at any disaster that happened in recent times. Twin towers, school shootings and tsunamis. Every single time people come together to help out those in need. Often it's people with little to give are still more than happy to help.

One more thing.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~kalaviab/documents/ExperienceBased_000.pdf

Pretty much explains the common enemy theory. Now imagine it wasn't just sporting teams or war. But the entire Earths population against one problem that will effect everyone. It kind of gives me the impression something like this would be a pretty much no-brainer for the over whelming majority of the human population.

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

No way, society would shatter apart, lawlessness would reign, people would see it as a prophesied Armageddon and attempt to disrupt any organized attempt to save humanity, and in the end, we'd all disappear without leaving a speck of dust behind. 50 years isn't enough time to over come our self destructive ways.

#25 Posted by L44 (552 posts) -

Depends who holds the proof.

#26 Posted by VoshiNova (1640 posts) -

Depends on if they included the proper DLC to explain how/why the world is ending.

Anyone make that joke yet? No? Well, here ya go.

#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (1315 posts) -

Actually I think if we know the end is coming and scientists can figure out a way to save some people (be it rockets, underground caves, underwater facilities, or whatever) I expect those with the deeper pockets to actually make it out alive.

People with money will always have a way out.

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5544 posts) -

@Rafaelfc said:

Actually I think if we know the end is coming and scientists can figure out a way to save some people (be it rockets, underground caves, underwater facilities, or whatever) I expect those with the deeper pockets to actually make it out alive.

What if it the armageddon scenario is that all the money bursts into toxic flames? Then they'd be fucked.

#29 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -
#30 Posted by Rafaelfc (1315 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Rafaelfc said:

What if it the armageddon scenario is that all the money bursts into toxic flames? Then they'd be fucked.

Oh, man... mind blown!!!!