• 66 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (678 posts) -

#2 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (678 posts) -

I think Star Trek is more original and feel that Star Wars is just fantasy set in space.

#3 Edited by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

star wars if were comparing the show to the movies, star trek the (newer one) if were comparing films.

#4 Edited by NTM (7235 posts) -

I really, really want to like Star Wars again, and some of it I do, but I definitely have to go Star Trek. I just absolutely love Star Trek. Especially The Next Generation. I really like all the characters in Star Trek, but if I had to choose what Star Trek to watch, I'd pick TNG. Also:

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Which Star Trek? 

#6 Edited by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

The Original Trilogy > The Original Series
The Next Generation > Episodes 1 2 and 3
I haven't seen much of the other stuff of either franchise, except for a couple Star Trek movies.

#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3770 posts) -

Next Generation is awesome and so are some of the movies but Star Wars will always be better for me despite what it's become. I like my sci fi dirty.

#8 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

Lucas has screwed up Star Wars SO MUCH that there isn't even a discussion to be had here anymore. Star Trek, even the original is FAR better than just about anything coming out of Star Wars these days. Except the Star Wars books which are generally pretty good. If you like Star Wars and not the movies, check out the books. They are pretty cool.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Star trek but they are both pretty dumb.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11570 posts) -

Neither. Both are quite different and I don't want to decide on a superior.

Besides, as a whole, both have their ups and downs. I'd rather watch Star Wars Original trilogy than Star Trek Enterprise, but if I was given the option of TNG or the Prequel Trilogy, it would definitely be TNG. Every time.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Battlestar Galactica, bitch!

(Star Trek) Riker's Beard > Star Wars

#12 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Star Wars because I dont care about Star Trek.  Thats it.  

#13 Posted by Sanaj (169 posts) -
  • Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • Star Trek II, IV and VI and the original series.

@laserbolts said:

Star trek but they are both pretty dumb.

Exactly. That's why it's entertaining.

Star Trek because techno-babble makes things more interesting.

#14 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I prefer Star Wars, but I know almost NOTHING about Star Trek. That said, I don't love any individual Star Wars product nearly as well as I love that first movie. If someone asked me to pit Return of the Jedi against the one Star Trek film I've seen (2009) I might pick '09.

#15 Edited by Kidavenger (3488 posts) -

Has Startrek put out even one good video game? Starwars certainly wins by that metric.

#16 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Battlestar Galactica, bitch!

(Star Trek) Riker's Beard > Star Wars

You can't compare them, unless ur talking original Battlestar and then. Ur COMPELTELY wrong. If ur talking new Battlestar, then it like comparing a bike and Porsche. Battlestar Galactica circa 2004 is the best Science Fiction drama in history. That's just how it IS. If people don't get that then aren't even paying attention.

#17 Posted by Brendan (7670 posts) -

Trek Wars.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Someone should kidnap Lucas and force him to sign Star Wars over to J.J. Abrams so we could get some good new movies made.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

@HadesTimes: Yeah, its a joke. My vote goes to star trek.

#20 Posted by Redbullet685 (6021 posts) -

The original Star Wars trilogy.

#21 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Yes, there has been a few good Star Trek games actually. I didn't play them, but they got good reviews.

#22 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Stargate : Atlantis

#23 Edited by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -
Bruce Boxleitner says fuck you
#24 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (373 posts) -

Star Trek minus William Shatner.

#25 Posted by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

If you asked me when I was younger, I would say Star Wars. Nowadays it's Star Trek by a long shot.

#26 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Star Wars is the more interesting universe by far (specifically thanks to the work of good science fiction authors like Zahn and Stackpole in the EU), even though the prequels were an absolute shit show and Lucas has been revealed as a hack.

Star Trek, however, has generally been far more intelligent and Sci-Fi than has Star Wars (at least in the filmed stuff), and the new movie was brilliant.

I voted Star Wars, but really, they are pretty difficult to compare fairly due to being incredibly different. They aren't really even in the same genre.

#27 Posted by Clonedzero (4057 posts) -

i vote star wars. i mean even considering teh horrible prequels. its far more enjoyable

star trek feels so stale and just bland. its so dry and emotionless i cant give a shit. i dont care if data dies, why would i care? he's a stupid robot.

NOT TO MENTION, i'd NEVER step into a star trek transporter. why? cus it KILLS YOU and leave a copy at the other end. you are DEAD and it remakes you on the other side. thats horrible HORRIBLE.

#28 Posted by bananaz (253 posts) -

Star Trek. Hell yeah.

#29 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

they're both cheesy sci-fi shows that ran out of good plot ideas long, long ago...

#30 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

Indiana Jones

#31 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

I haven't seen a lot of Star Trek, and I know some of the older stuff is pretty corny these days. Star Wars on the other hand is somewhat timeless, the original trilogy is still amazing.

#32 Edited by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

On the merits of which is more entertaining? Star Trek.

Click me! Cause url posting is bogged.
#33 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

i vote star wars. i mean even considering teh horrible prequels. its far more enjoyable

star trek feels so stale and just bland. its so dry and emotionless i cant give a shit. i dont care if data dies, why would i care? he's a stupid robot.

NOT TO MENTION, i'd NEVER step into a star trek transporter. why? cus it KILLS YOU and leave a copy at the other end. you are DEAD and it remakes you on the other side. thats horrible HORRIBLE.

Watch Voyager. A lot of people will shit on me for saying this, but it's far more involving than The Next Generation, which I've always felt was a bit too space-utopia. Voyager is a much darker show with a bigger focus on interpersonal relationships. Plus it has Jeri Ryan and Jeri Ryan's boobs. Jeri Ryan is kind of like a blonde, made-for-TV Angelina Jolie.

That is pretty horrible, though.

#34 Posted by RajKuna (3 posts) -

I prefer Star Wars

#35 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

Star Wars is a hero myth. Star Trek is office politics

#36 Edited by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Why is Stargate not an option!?

#37 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Star Trek

#38 Posted by Clonedzero (4057 posts) -

@Adaurin: yeah, stargate is pretty awesome. it knows its cheesy and embraces it. it also has its serious episodes which are awesome too. MAN i loved stargate. though stargate universe SUCKEDDD. it tried way too hard to be a BSG replacement and failed.

#39 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

They're completely different.

#40 Edited by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Starwars is a direct and flagrant ripoff of Kakushi-toride no san-akunin (The Hidden Fortress), a 1958 movie from Akira Kurosawa.

All fans of starwars should realy watch The Hidden Fortress and see just how full of shit George Lucas was even back then.

#41 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

star trek. grew up on both, but still enjoyed star trek more because of the exploration.

#42 Posted by Clonedzero (4057 posts) -

@SmilingPig: you know, i mean george lucas has done TONS of bullshit in the past, but he's never denied that star wars was inspired by stuff like that....

shit dude, you made such a crazy accusation that you have me defending george lucas, wtf man. not cool.

#43 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (503 posts) -

The original Star Wars trilogy are better movies than the Star Trek movies, but Star Trek is much more expansive. Star Wars is more Science-Fantasy, while Star Trek is Science-Fiction. They are very different, but can be enjoyed on different levels.

#44 Posted by mordukai (7129 posts) -

This is going to end very well indeed.

#45 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

@Clondzero said:

@SmilingPig: you know, i mean george lucas has done TONS of bullshit in the past, but he's never denied that star wars was inspired by stuff like that....

shit dude, you made such a crazy accusation that you have me defending george lucas, wtf man. not cool.

Starwars is more than inspired by The Hidden Fortress.

To put in video game terms, Starwars is to the hidden fortress what Castle miner is to minecraft.

#46 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

@Clondzero said:

Starwars is more than inspired by The Hidden Fortress.

To put in video game terms, Starwars is to the hidden fortress what Castle miner is to minecraft.

Have you actually watched "Hidden Fortress"? Cause I have. I own the Criterion version of it. Lucas didn't steal anything, he used archetypes from the film and re imagined them. This pretty much happens in all of fiction. Even Kurosawa gained inspiration from Henry Ford pictures and American westerns.

Lucas pretty much took two ideas from Hidden Fortress: The idea of the bumbling peasants who carried the narrative(Droids), and film wipes. He also took some story structure beats. Stuff he readily admits to(Lucas does the commentary on Hidden Fortress DVD).

The idea of a sassy princess, or roguish samurai isn't unique to that film or story telling in general.

All quality fiction, take significant inspiration from other forms.

Star Trek is essentially a re imagining of westerns in the structure of "Gulliver's Travels".

Plus, "Seven Samurai" was remade into "Magnificent Seven", and "Yojimbo" was remade into "a Fistful of Dollars". All of those films are excellent.

#47 Edited by flindip (533 posts) -

BTW, to answer the original question. I perfer Star Wars, the original trilogy. I really enjoy the original series of Star Trek, and some of the Kirk based films. But I HATE the Next Generation and beyond.

Star Trek is a fairly bland universe, imo, compared to Star Wars. I enjoy pulpy approaches to story telling.

Also, if I want realistic Sci-fi, Star Trek doesn't really cut it for me. Star Wars doesn't even try in that regard, because its not even really sci-fi to begin with. Its fantasy in space.

#48 Edited by Marokai (2792 posts) -
@punkxblaze said:

@Clonedzero said:

Watch Voyager. A lot of people will shit on me for saying this, but it's far more involving than The Next Generation, which I've always felt was a bit too space-utopia. Voyager is a much darker show with a bigger focus on interpersonal relationships. Plus it has Jeri Ryan and Jeri Ryan's boobs. Jeri Ryan is kind of like a blonde, made-for-TV Angelina Jolie.

That is pretty horrible, though.

Every post-TNG series is deeper, darker, and more involving than TNG and TOS. TNG is fine but it's only "the best Star Trek" in a vacuum where no other Star Trek existed after it. Too simple, stale, and lacking in serialization.  

As for the topic question, Star Trek, since it's actually more science-fictiony and not silly pseudo spiritual space fantasy. Stargate is probably better at sci-fi storytelling than either of them, though, discounting DS9.
#49 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I definitely prefer Star Trek style of sci-fi than Star Wars personally, but I do like them both when they aren't handled horribly. This is the opinion of a guy that doesn't care to go deep into either franchises.

#50 Edited by LD50 (416 posts) -

Neither.

Star Trek is a rip off of the Voyage of the Scarlet Queen radio show that was bankrolled by the CIA in an operation to discredit one Captain Kirk, who was the officer that tried to warn the U.S. military about the bombing of Pearl Harbor because they had broken the Japanese "Purple" code system (which is a story of it's own), and the cover-up in the Vulcan Islands.

Star Wars is a rip-off of Japanese cinema, probably bankrolled by the CIA with black ops money made from cocaine sales, to further the Rockefeller agenda.

I have documents and YouTube videos to back this shit up. /sarcasm