• 78 results
Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: What is Daft Punk's be album and what's the best track on R.A.M.? (269 votes)

Homework 9%
Discovery 44%
Human After All 5%
Tron: Legacy 12%
Random Access Memories 16%
Give life back to music [track 1] 7%
The game of love [track 2] 3%
Giogrio by moroder [track 3] 17%
Within [track 4] 4%
Instant crush [track 5] 12%
Lose yourself to dance [track 6] 11%
Touch [track 7] 13%
Get lucky [track 8] 18%
Beyond [track 9] 5%
Motherboard [track 10] 4%
Fragments if time [track 11] 4%
Doin' it right [track 12] 11%
Contact [track 13] 10%

After listening to it a couple of times, I've come to the conclusion that R.A.M. is their best album, which is surprising considering how great Discovery was. It's just that the amount of creativity, the composition, and the effort spent on the production of the tracks surpasses their other works. Also, that funk, yo. Bring Soul, funk and real R&B back into the mainstream. There's a reason why MJ and Mariah Carey sold so many albums.

Also, it's difficult to choose, but for now I'll say that Beyond is my fave R.A.M. track.

#1 Edited by Aegon (5638 posts) -

Best* album <- if mods can fix the title, that would be great.

#2 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Homework and Lose Yourself to Dance. Get Lucky was fairly decent too I guess. I didn't like The Game of Love at all though.

#3 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

Alive 2007 was the album that got me into them so I guess that, it's really one of the best live mixes from any DJ ever.

#4 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

Isn't RAM their worst album?

Anyway, Homework is my favorite.

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Can't you edit polls?

Anyways As I have said in other threads, "Within" probably has to be my favorite.

#6 Edited by xyzygy (9992 posts) -

I really wanted to love "Doin' It Right" because of Panda Bear's inclusion. Animal Collecive is my favorite band. But it's just so repetitive. It's one of those songs that sounds really good at first then wears off fast.

Not really sure if I like the album yet, from the songs I've heard...

#7 Edited by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

I picked RAM but Discovery is very close. Touch is probably my favorite track in RAM, followed very closely by Give life back to music, Giorgio by Moroder and Contact.

Doin' it right is absolute shit. There, I said it.

#8 Edited by mosespippy (4183 posts) -

I haven't listened to RAM yet. Discovery is soooooo good; it'll be tough to top it.

#9 Posted by Lumley (959 posts) -

Best album? Discovery - however, after a few more listens I may be inclined to say RAM. RAM is fantastic.

Best song? Going purely by which song I've listened to the most (since downloading the album) I'd have to go with 'Lose Yourself to Dance'. Doin' It Right, Giorgio by Moroder, and Touch are my other favourites.

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4735 posts) -

Discovery is pretty epic. Although there are good things in Homework and Human After All neither feel as good as Discovery.

And I do think Alive 2007 needs a special shout out. There are several stellar live mashup remixes in that album.

#11 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Wow, just listened to some Discovery again for the first time in a couple years, and yeah, holy shit, that album is excellent, and the fact that it's now 12 years old is mind blowing. So many great, unique tracks that stand out on their own, yet go together so well. And some of the absolute best use of heavy sampling ever imo, after DJ Shadow, of course. Damn, thanks for getting me back into Daft Punk again.

#12 Edited by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -

Discovery, I can listen to that album on repeat and it takes some real willpower to turn it off, and as far as my favorite song on RAM, it has to be Doin' it Right. I mean the first time I heard it I got up and started dancing around my apartment. It may be the best song they've done imo, but I still need to run through RAM when it comes out to verify. That sweet sweet vinyl can't get here soon enough!

#13 Edited by Pr1mus (3910 posts) -

After a couple listens i find there's only 3 songs that i actually remember from Random Access Memories. Giorgio By Moroder, Get Lucky and Contact. The rests are easy to listen to but not memorable in the least, which for my part is about par for the course as far as Daft Punk albums goes with maybe Discovery being the exception. I do find those 3 songs better than anything they've done before however.

So i guess that makes Discovery the best overall album but not by much and since my 3 favorite songs are on Random Access Memories i suppose it is my favorite? I don't really care either way. As far as i'm concerned Daft Punk as made just about enough really great songs across all their albums to fill one disc and i leave the rest out.

#14 Edited by thatpinguino (1007 posts) -

I voted Discovery because that album has a special place in my heart with its companion piece Interstella 5555. Not to mention it contains my favorite song, Digital Love.

However, I think that R.A.M is pretty damn amazing with its instrumentation, variety, and its disco revivalist core. I bet in 5 year or so we will have the distance to see that R.A.M, while less influential than Homework and Discovery, is the superior album.

As for the best song, I have to go with Touch. There is a level of emotional depth in the song that just stands out on an otherwise dance focused album.

#15 Posted by DriveupLife (915 posts) -

Doing it Right is a pretty slick song. It's got that low key vibe I really like.

#16 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

Discovery for me at least, is on par with Thriller and Dark Side of the Moon... but RAM is getting there. Doin' it Right is probably my favorite track atm, though Touch is also amazing...

#17 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

I'd actually say that Homework is there worst album, though it's still amazing and still one of my all time fav albums...

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

I'm not a fan of DP, but I really like Get Lucky. That's not a vote, as I haven't heard the album, I just wanted to weigh in on how great that song is.

#19 Edited by Winternet (8019 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@winternet said:

I'd actually say that Homework is there worst album, though it's still amazing and still one of my all time fav albums...

That's crazy.

#20 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

RAM is pretty disappointing, a few good tracks but pretty meh. Not what I expected by Daft Punk, feels like one of the members off shoot projects. I find it funny for someone to say their latest album is their best, music is something that sticks with you, if in 10 years you are still listening to RAM as I do with Discovery then we can have that debate.

#21 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@winternet said:

That's crazy.

Why?

Homework has some amazing tracks yeah, but it also has its fair share of tracks that arn't all up to the crazy level like Fresh/Daftendirekt/Funk Ad etc etc RAM dsn't have these kinds of tracks as the album has been worked on for so long so much effort and time has been put into each and every track and every track is given enough time and space on the record so that even if the intro to the song isn't super great it builds into an epic track, something there prior albums never had.

That dsn't sound like the argument of a crazy person.

#22 Edited by Milkman (16792 posts) -

I haven't listened to RAM all the way through yet but I'm still pretty comfortable saying Discovery is their best album. But hey, maybe that will change.

As for the best song on RAM, like I said I haven't listened to all of it but from what I have heard, Doin' It Right is, by far, my favorite.

#23 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

RAM is quickly getting there for me but Discovery is still the clear go to album for Daft Punk. I didn't expect this album to be this "proggy". A lot of the songs are still traditional house music but with real instruments versus constant repetitive samples (which aren't bad if the beat is good). Now I understand why they went for the 70's throwback because DP wanted an excuse to get a solid groove going and keep playing it over and over which is a big recurring theme throughout the album. For me though I managed to narrow my favorites down to Giorgio, Touch, and Fragments of Time.

@winternet said:

@baldgye said:

@winternet said:

That's crazy.

Yeah, maybe if I didn't hear Homework first then Human After All wouldn't have fallen so flat for me. No way RAM is their worst though.

#24 Posted by Dethfish (3663 posts) -

I'd rank their albums like this:

1. Discovery
  2. Human After All
  3. RAM
  4. Homework
  5. Tron

If I included Alive 2007, it'd be number 1, but I suppose it's not really fair to include it. It's basically a greatest hits mix.

#25 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

Actually kinda disappointed in RAM. Only listened to it once but first go around was meh

#26 Edited by Winternet (8019 posts) -

@baldgye: Because Homework is Daft Punk. It's them coming out and saying "Hey, Eletronic music can be good too". It's what sparkled everything. An entire movement riding on the back of that album. That's why it's kinda crazy to say it.

Regarding the album as an all thing, I can't see that at all. I think, though I have only listened to it all a couple of times, RAM is not that consistent. It's kinda boring, actually. Sure, there are good musics in the mix, but it's in the middle of middling stuff. Even some good musics get hampered at some point, like Giogrio, which is a great track that then ends up with that stupid guitar solo, for no good reason. And it's too long. You're right about that. The songs have plenty of time and space to develop. But, they just don't develop to nothing interesting. It's Daft Punk playing it safe, playing with music from the past, but without doing too much with it, without taking risks with it. There's nothing surprising on RAM. It's good, because Daft Punk is good, because they are veterans in what they do and they know how to do it.

#27 Posted by masterpaperlink (1843 posts) -

RAM sounds like an album crafted by perfectionists, More so than any previous album.

#28 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

Discovery will always be their best album far as I'm concerned. Contact is the best song on R.A.M. because it was Daft Punk being Daft Punk and not Pharrell Williams featuring Daft Punk like I feel so much of the rest of the album is.

And if I had the choice of including Alive 2007 that would be it. The mashup between Around the World and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is the best thing they've done. Period.

#29 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

@baldgye: Because Homework is Daft Punk. It's them coming out and saying "Hey, Eletronic music can be good too". It's what sparkled everything. An entire movement riding on the back of that album. That's why it's kinda crazy to say it.

I really don't agree with that at all, I don't think you, Daft Punk could argue that Kraftwerk was bad, or even unsuccessful in the mainstream. Homework was simply Daft Punk coming out, though they had existed as artists prior to Homework.

On RAM I really disagree though this probably boils down to personal preference. Though I'd like to hear if you change your mind after listening to it some more, I think I've listened to it entirely maybe 20times or so? And really love it, the album as a whole is so well crafted and put together, I really don't think they played it safe at all and haven't really with any of there albums;

• Homework; was there opening album full of amazing tracks.
  • Discovery; the best House album ever made.
  • Human After All; totally different and alot more electro, something they weren't really known for.
  • RAM; more of a disco funk album, totally different to anything else really, it has some electro vibes that hark back to HAA and some house beats that could come from Discovery but its really nothing like either of those two albums.

Just my opinions :P

#30 Edited by EXTomar (4735 posts) -

The Alive 2007 track of "Around The World/Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" often sited and easily one of the most memorable off the album.

#31 Edited by MonetaryDread (2033 posts) -

Having just listened to all their albums for the first time, I have to say that, I enjoy Random Access Memories the best. Though I would choose Tron if Daft Punk reworked the OST into an actual album.

My favourite tracks on RAM are:

• Giorgio by Moroder
  • Lose Yourself to Dance
  • Beyond
  • Motherboard

If I had to pick one song of the bunch it would be Beyond, but Motherboard could be my favourite song a week from now.

#32 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2562 posts) -

Discovery / Beyond.

I hate the stupid orchestral opening to Beyond though - sigh. I guess I'm skipping RAM entirely.

ED: Oh, and Alive 2007 is amazing, but only amazing because it mashes together songs which debuted on other albums.

#33 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

I kinda see why people wouldn't like RAM, but I've listened to about half of it and I think it's pretty awesome so far.

#34 Edited by RVonE (4638 posts) -

Discovery is my favorite. That album feels as fresh and contemporary today as it felt twelve years ago. I really love most of its individual tracks but it's just amazing how cohesive that entire album feels.

From Random Access Memories I must say that I absolutely love Control. That track is something else.

#35 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Discovery is their Master of Puppets, and my favorite on RAM is Giorgio because I love long progressive songs.

#36 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1329 posts) -

Discovery is my favorite album by far. I am really digging Doing It Right from RAM.

#37 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I haven't listed to all of RAM yet, but their best album is Alive 2007.

I mean...

COME ON.

#38 Edited by Cerberus3Dog (336 posts) -

Instant Crush all the way. Julian Casablancas nails it.

EDIT: and their pitch modulation nails it I guess.

#39 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Homework and Lose Yourself to Dance. Get Lucky was fairly decent too I guess. I didn't like The Game of Love at all though.

Exactly what I voted too.

#40 Edited by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I find the new album to be well... pussy shit. The only song that actual sounds anything like the Daft Punk I'm familiar with is 12.

#41 Edited by Winternet (8019 posts) -

@baldgye: I was definitely not saying that Daft Punk were the first to make Eletronic music jump to the limelight. But, at that time, they were the ones to make that statement. Kraftwerk was in the 70s. And the movement I was talking about was more related to the French house movement than the overall electronic music movement.

Regarding RAM, it's like I said, kinda boring. It is well polished, I give you that, like none of their previous albums, which is maybe not a compliment. And I really don't see the risks. It all sounds ok, but just ok. It sounds old and archaic, at some points. First two songs? Forgettable. Giorgio starts well, but ends poor. A couple more middling songs and then a groovy and the first start-to-finish good song. A ridiculously long song before getting to Get Lucky, which is a respectably good and well-made song. More middling and forgettable stuff (really, what does even happen in Motherboard? I really can't remember), one more good song (Doin It Right maybe the best, so far) and an ok last song. Where is the innovation? Where are the surprises? Where is the robotic?

#42 Edited by benspyda (2034 posts) -

It's no Discovery, but I like how chill it is compared to their last album. My favorite track is probably "Instant Crush", followed by "Give Life Back to the Music" and "Get Lucky". I really like the majority of the tracks in the first half and the second half is fine.

#43 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

@winternet I guess that's where we dissagree then :P I really like the album and like that the songs are long and 'grow' I think the fact that so many people are so mixed about it highlights the kinds of risks they took...

#44 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Discovery and Get Lucky

#45 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Discovery is my favourite by far. Such a fun record and one that I can still put on today and enjoy.

RAM is interesting in that it's a different direction for them, and it's clear they put a lot of thought into, but it's not really a record I see myself listening to much in the future. It's just not that enjoyable. I respect DP for making, but I'm pretty lukewarm on it.

I'd put Discovery far in the lead, then Homework, and then Human After All and RAM bring up the rear.

As for my favourite song on RAM, I'd say Give Life Back to Music. It's one of the few tracks on here that has replayability for me.

#46 Edited by Aegon (5638 posts) -

@masterpaperlink said:

RAM sounds like an album crafted by perfectionists, More so than any previous album.

Exactly what I was thinking.

@sins_of_mosin said:

I find the new album to be well... pussy shit. The only song that actual sounds anything like the Daft Punk I'm familiar with is 12.

I like Daft Punk because they make good music, not because they sound a certain way. I guess if your tastes don't match their new sound, regardless of what the quality of the songs are, you'll have a hard time swallowing this album. I wasn't particularly into them just because of their electronic focus.

@selfconfessedcynic said:

I hate the stupid orchestral opening to Beyond though

lol, and I love the orchestral opening, together with the rest of the track.

#47 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

It's probably too soon to say RAM is my favorite... but I'm gonna say it anyway. I love Discovery a lot, but I think I prefer the bombast and diversity of RAM. As for my favorite track on the new album, I went with "Touch." Totally out of their comfort zone and yet it totally works.

#48 Posted by TheHT (11262 posts) -

Motherboard and Contact

Hard to say which is better at this point, Discovery or RAM.

#49 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

Discovery, but RAM is close second.

One of the reasons I like RAM is because it is a bit of a departure and one that sounds good. I also think they put out an album they wanted to put out as opposed to an album everyone probably expected to hear and playing it safe. I really don't care what Daft Punk would do with their future records. Whatever genre they want to fuck around with, if it sounds good to me then I am all about it.

My favorite track is Fragments of Time. Although there are plenty of tracks I really like on the album for the same reasons when it comes to the music, I think what puts it ahead is the lyrics.

#50 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I feel like RAM is their best album right now personally and I absolutely love the song Touch (second to Lose Yourself to Dance), simply because of the little story that I can place in my head whilst riding through the melodic changes in the different phases of the song. The beginning section with that funky guitar building up to the upbeat section sells me on the song so much.