• 178 results
#1 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

If people did not already know, I like reading. And I mean, I really like reading. It's one of those hobbies I've really gotten into in a big way again, and that pleases me no end. I know there are some other readers on the forums, and as the title of this thread suggests, I want to know what you are reading, your thoughts about it, and all the rest. I tend to read almost everything and anything that falls into my possession, and therefore, I want to know more about you, community! I like history and books based around it, whether they are real or fictional. My favorite author is George Orwell, having read Animal Farm but there are many other authors I intend to read as well, some of whom have similar undertones in their works. But this isn't the point of the thread. And here we go...

The Shot, by Philip Kerr

I chose to read this now despite buying it in August last year, because it fitted in perfectly after another novel I read. Before this book I read Code to Zero by Ken Follett, and since it seemed consistent I went with this. Both books are set in the Cold War, with Code to Zero taking place before, though this book slots in historically if you wanted to try and build a consistent universe for some reason.

I'm not sure how I feel about this story yet. I'm about half-way through and I can't make my mind up. It seems alright but it's hampered by a lack of action at the moment, and characters who seem difficult to like. None of them seem particularly human at the moment but at the same time it could definitely change before too long. I'll hold out and keep reading since my view, while not uncommon, seems to be followed up with an excellently-written ending which seems to fit with current knowledge. I don't know what to read after this but that is a predicament that I always manage to enjoy.

My copy doesn't have the same cover, but the copy I own seems to be difficult to find a decent looking cover of, so this is the most similar I can find without going into tiny or low-quality images.

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Nothing sadly, I really need to spend more time reading.

#3 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I don't read like I use to. Instead, I listen to tons of audiobooks. I just finished, "Scholar" by L.E. Modesitt Jr. Good stuff. I'm a big fan of his "Imager" series.

#4 Posted by Witzig (328 posts) -

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

#5 Posted by Vao (328 posts) -

Started the new Sue Graphton alphabet book series V for Vengeance.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I finished The Wise Man's Fear, which I enjoyed. I started reading this book called Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles), but I stopped because it was crap. I'm looking for a Dark Fantasy series to start reading.

#7 Posted by Commisar123 (1796 posts) -

I'm planning on finally reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Vao said:

Started the new Sue Graphton alphabet book series V for Vengeance.

Blasphemy. We all know V is for Vendetta.

I'm currently plodding my way through a Comp TIA A+ tome. I'd much rather be reading one of Neal Stephenson's newer books, though.

#9 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I've been reading the "Horus Heresy" series of books ever since Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. They're very well written sci-fi books and are great for anyone interested into diving deeper into that fiction. I've read nearly 9 books in the series since last year. Fair to say, I'm addicted.

#10 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist =]

#11 Posted by Ketchupp (673 posts) -

Just started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter to get ready for the upcoming movie.

#12 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Lord of the rings.

#13 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -
#14 Posted by EightBitShik (1341 posts) -

I'm actually reading a few things right now. Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson and the 4th book in the Gotrek and Felix series. But it has been a few weeks since I read. I got burnt on reading since I read The hunger games trilogy in like 3 weeks.

#15 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

I've been reading the "Horus Heresy" series of books ever since Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. They're very well written sci-fi books and are great for anyone interested into diving deeper into that fiction. I've read nearly 9 books in the series since last year. Fair to say, I'm addicted.

just ordered the 3rd and 4th ones myself, the first 2 flew by, i thought they were excellent.

in the mean time im reading Iain M. Banks' "Feersum Enjinn". im liking it, but every 4th chapter is written in a very childlike style and is spelled in a kind of wrong phonetic sort of way, and those chapters really break my momentum with the book, ill get through 3 chapters in about 2 days (on my breaks at work) then it'll take me the rest of the week to get through the 4th, so i kind dread getting to those parts,

#16 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

"La Mala Hora" por Gabriel García Márquez

I don't actually know what it is called in English.

#17 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb.

#18 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

#19 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@BoG: The Bad Hour?

I have been a sloth when it comes to Feast of Crows, the books is slooooow

#20 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@Dany said:

@BoG: The Bad Hour?

Well, that's a direct translation of the title, but I think it has a different title in English.

#21 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming
Lord of the rings.
How are you finding it?
I tried to get into that but the launguage used made it harder to enjoy.
#22 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Hunger Games... 

Well no, actually I was reading that, then I was reading your thread and now I'm reading my comment as I type it

#23 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I started reading the second Game of Thrones book but I gave up. It's good but I get so frustrated with Martin's seemingly endless need to describe what people are wearing and how food is prepared.

I have a stack of books to get to. The War After Armageddon is next I think. Mom got it for me for Christmas, she's gonna ask if I read it and my poker face is terrible.

#24 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

It's alright. Definitely not for everyone.

#25 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

@BoG said:

Google tells me the English title is "In Evil Hour"

#26 Posted by SadPatrol (500 posts) -

Timeline by Michael Chrichton

#27 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

Actually jumped on the Hunger Games books, felt like taking on an easy read before I take on the Stand haha. That said, they are surprisingly good!

#28 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@BoG said:

Google tells me the English title is "In Evil Hour"

That makes sense. I guess I could have just googled it my self.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the book, but it's a long read, because I read Spanish at about half the speed I read in English.

#29 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@Hizang said:
@TheDudeOfGaming
Lord of the rings.
How are you finding it? I tried to get into that but the launguage used made it harder to enjoy.
I'm at page 3. So...pretty good i guess?
#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3067 posts) -

House of Leaves

#31 Posted by LTSmash (638 posts) -

Battle for Hue: Tet, 1968 by Keith William Nolan

1861: The Civil War Awakening by Adam Goodheart

#32 Posted by Dr_Ventum (70 posts) -

I am reading a bunch of webcomics.

#33 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I got alot of great books for Christmas. Right now I'm reading Ringworld, and then it's on the The Lost Tales Part 1(JRR Tolkien)

#34 Posted by Khadyn (228 posts) -

Just got The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but, haven't sat down to read yet and I really really want to read the Steve Jobs biography (anyone finish it and find it worth recommending?).

#35 Edited by alternate (2717 posts) -

Almost finished Reamde, Neal Stephenson. Overly long (a hallmark of Stephenson these days), the vocabulary sometimes seems deliberately obscure (another hallmark). Quite like the MMO business stuff but could live without the 300 page spy/terrorism/mafia middle section. I felt it was not sold as such and almost feels like two books grafted together, although it is coming together a bit in the last third.

#36 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@Bwast said:

I started reading the second Game of Thrones book but I gave up. It's good but I get so frustrated with Martin's seemingly endless need to describe what people are wearing and how food is prepared.

I have a stack of books to get to. The War After Armageddon is next I think. Mom got it for me for Christmas, she's gonna ask if I read it and my poker face is terrible.

That reminds me of Brian Jaques and the Redwall books i used to read in high school. He would intricately describe every animal and food (vittle) item there was.

Lately I've been reading "Ready Player One", i might be really lttp, but this book is fantastic

#37 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@EightBitShik said:

I'm actually reading a few things right now. Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson and the 4th book in the Gotrek and Felix series. But it has been a few weeks since I read. I got burnt on reading since I read The hunger games trilogy in like 3 weeks.

Are Brandon Sanderson's novels dark? If so, could you give me a few recommendations.

#38 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

"What's The Matter With Kansas?" by Thomas Frank

About how Kansas - once famous for being somewhat radical and socially liberal became one of the most conservative states in the country. It's quite interesting so far. (And please, no one start a political debate over any of this, I am not interested in getting into it.)

#39 Posted by ozzdog12 (862 posts) -

#40 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Hitch 22

#41 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

Sukkwan Island by David Vann.

I just started. Previously I read The Art of Crying by Erling Jepsen.

Anyone share these two books?

#42 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Deeveeus said:

Actually jumped on the Hunger Games books, felt like taking on an easy read before I take on the Stand haha. That said, they are surprisingly good!

The last books I read were the Hunger Games books and then The Stand, neat.

#43 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Different Seasons by Stephen King. First time reading a King novel.

Just finished the first short story which is Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Really enjoyed reading through it, and while I prefer the film, the short story was also quite brilliant. About a quarter through the second short story (Apt Pupil) right now.

#44 Edited by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

'Tao of Jeet Kune Do' by Bruce Lee. I wouldn't say I'm reading properly at the moment but just read a few pages when I can. It's not the martial arts I'm interested in though, through reading this book, you gain an insight into how Bruce thought and his philosophy on life which in itself is very interesting to read!

'Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.'

#45 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I started with Elric of Melnibone last night, Im liking it so far.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

Robert Mitnick's Ghost in the Wires. Pretty interesting stuff for those into biography books, or have an interest in hacking from before the PC became a thing.

#47 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

@SpartyOn said:

I unfortunately will be reading this soon as I got it (possibly as a gag gift from) from my mother-in-law for Christmas. She is a Mac fan. I am not. Hopefully this book is intriguing.

#48 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -

Slogging through The Hangman's Daughter.

#49 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

Im reading game of thrones. itsreaddy good.

#50 Posted by smallmanoncampus (116 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

This.