• 178 results
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By mylifeforAiur

The Third Reich in Power by Richard J. Evans.

NinjatheKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By NinjatheKid

@Twilight said:

Different Seasons by Stephen King. First time reading a King novel.

I'm also reading my first Stephen King novel. Mine's The Shining though.

@thehexeditor said:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

It's alright. Definitely not for everyone.

That's going to be my next book. I highly enjoyed The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (also not for everyone), so I'm really looking forward to 1Q84.

JohnTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By JohnTheGamer

Thus Spoke Zarathustra courtesy of Friedrich Nietzsche.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By blindisaac

Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez. I just finished it and it was great like the rest of his work. The Damned Busters is next up on my queue.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By natetodamax
@SpartyOn
No Caption Provided
EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By EightBitShik

@BraveToaster: No they aren't dark at all. The only thing I have finished reading by him so far is the Mistborn trilogy. I loved it, if you like fantasy at all set in a world with a completely different kind of "Magic" system that is utterly unique give it shot. A new twist with this Alloy of law is that the first 3 books are fantasy next 4 are "1930's 40's kind of steam punk" and then the last however many will be star wars future like. I really enjoyed the "universe".

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By GeneralZod37

Just finished two books yesterday.

The first was Micro, by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston. I found it rather eh. It was basically "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids," but more adult. I just didn't care about what was going on. I am guessing this is something Mr. Preston does in his books, but it seemed like every or every other time a character was brought up their full name was used. Maybe a lot of authors do it, and I've never noticed it before, but it made the characters really hard to connect to.

Also there was a really shitty tag at the end that hinted at a sequel.

The second one was The Destiny of the Republic, by Candice Millard. The book was amazing! It is a historical narrative about James A. Garfield, his life, and more importantly, his assassination. I'm not one for history books, but Mrs. Millard did an astounding job. I can't speak too highly of it.

As for right now, I am probably going to read The Labors of Hercules, by Agatha Christie or The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By BraveToaster

@EightBitShik said:

@BraveToaster: No they aren't dark at all. The only thing I have finished reading by him so far is the Mistborn trilogy. I loved it, if you like fantasy at all set in a world with a completely different kind of "Magic" system that is utterly unique give it shot. A new twist with this Alloy of law is that the first 3 books are fantasy next 4 are "1930's 40's kind of steam punk" and then the last however many will be star wars future like. I really enjoyed the "universe".

I like new magic systems. I've been compiling a wishlist of fantasy/sci-fi books on Amazon. I've made the mistake of buying a few fantasy books that were cheesy and tween-oriented, but they were supposedly adult books.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By nohthink

1Q84

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Just got the fifth book in E.E. Knight's Vampire Earth series today, so I'm just beginning that. It's an extremely good series, for anyone who's into the post-apocalyptic/horror/sci-fi/military genres.

Avatar image for saffronrevolution
SaffronRevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I read several books at once usually. I'm crazy like that.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CannonGoose

The Steve Jobs biography and One Piece manga.

SaffronRevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oatz: Hitch 22, best accompanied with Johnny Walker Green Label Scotch Whiskey. It's what Hitch would want.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Eviternal

Just finished The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. If you're not familiar with Cave's musical work (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) then I'd suggest you give them a listen first; their discography is depraved and tender in equal measures, as is Cave's novel. Cave's previous book And the Ass Saw the Angel is written in a more classical style - if you like older works then I'd suggest you begin there instead.

Also, if you haven't read Alan Moore's Watchmen - do. (Seeing the film does not count!)

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

Ive been reading the moral landscape by Sam Harris and The god delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Just finished the Steve Jobs biography as well

SaffronRevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eviternal: Was it Grinderman that broke up or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? What does it mean for Dirty Three?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BaneFireLord

I finished The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan yesterday. It was good, but took an incredibly out of place Biblical twist toward the end that was pretty jarring, compared with the more scientific elements of the previous books in the trilogy. 

Currently, I'm reading Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and am about to start Terry Pratchett's latest book Snuff.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Mistborn book 3. I thought book 2 was complete garbage up until the last section so I'm fucking storming my way through the last book because I need to know what happens.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By theguy

Crime and Punishment and a collection of Asimov's robot stories.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By nintendoeats

Aside from the fact that I am slowly working through everything that Orwell has ever written (I'm probably about a quarter of the way through), It''s just school stuff from here on out. I'm majoring in philosophy so school reading is a substantial thing.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By Dany

@theguy: How do you like Crime and Punishment?

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Patriots novel of survival in the coming collapse

matronedea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By matronedea

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire, now I'm reading the last book.

Any recommendations for what to read after I finish these?

lasergreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By lasergreen

Yesterday I started reading Frank Herbert's Dune for the first time.

Masni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Masni

I don't like books to much but i just start reading Fifth Profession from David Morrell (Author of Rambo books)

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By theguy

@Dany said:

@theguy: How do you like Crime and Punishment?

From what I had heard I thought it would be a dense, essay like, look at morality but I was pleasantly surprised. It's entertaining and easy to read (though I suppose that depends on your translation). I can definitely see why it's praised so much, so far its brilliant.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By Brendan

The 33 Strategies of War, by Robert Greene. MwuahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHA

It actually does have a lot of interesting historical stories though, despite it's heavy Machiavellian leanings.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ksaw

@Breadfan said:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Me too. Thought it was funny that one of the Russian spies uses Gerstmann as a cover name. That isn't a spoiler by the way, in case you're not that far into the book,

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By gearhead

I'm reading the Hunger Games books for a college English class...They're alright. The setting and the action scenes are pretty entertaining but the bullshit romantic moments that are littered throughout the books can be awful at times. Not enough to ruin the books completely but enough to really diminish me recommending them to anyone.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By dillonwerner

Clock Work Orange for school and The Wheel of Time series for fun.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By blindisaac

I am also reading tons of comics after getting into them back in October. I am currently catching up on Uncanny X-Force with the hardcovers and need to start reading the Invincible Compendium as well as reading my stack of new issues I bought yesterday.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By HisDudeness

The first Game of Thrones book, it's great.@Twilight said:

Different Seasons by Stephen King. First time reading a King novel.

Just finished the first short story which is Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Really enjoyed reading through it, and while I prefer the film, the short story was also quite brilliant. About a quarter through the second short story (Apt Pupil) right now.

As a big King fan, I must say that Different Seasons is easily one of his best, and it also was the first book I read from him. Apt Pupil is fucked up

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ThePickle

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@SpartyOn said:

No Caption Provided

This for me as well. Fascinating book, even from the perspective of a PC user.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ArcLyte
No Caption Provided
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Skytylz

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, it's good buts it's not the most gripping book I've ever read.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ArcLyte

@StingerMK2: *shels is a great band!

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

#88  Edited By TheFakePsychic

A combination of 12th grade High School lit (which makes me literally want to tear my eyes out, or come up with the most insane theories on interpretations, because I hate literary analysis with a deep-seated, burning passion), and Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design, which is a much more delightful, enjoyable, and interesting book.

Ctmskater75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Ctmskater75

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By louiedog

I'm just starting Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#91  Edited By MightyDuck

Just finished reading Kerry Fraser's book from last year about his career being a referee in the NHL. Great book for any hockey fans out there!

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By xMP44x

@ThePickle said:

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

This is a book that's really caught my attention, but I haven't yet read it. Since it was meant to be one of the books that inspired George Orwell, I'm curious to read it for myself. I've read a few things about it on Wikipedia but I avoided reading anything to spoil the story. How are you finding it?

@TheFakePsychic said:

(which makes me literally want to tear my eyes out, or come up with the most insane theories on interpretations, because I hate literary analysis with a deep-seated, burning passion)

I enjoy literary analysis but I can definitely understand your thoughts on it. The books we analyse are the sort of thing that simply isn't worth analysing in some cases. In my English Lit class we have to analyse poems from Seamus Heaney, and his favorite topic? Farming. You know you're living in Ireland when you're discussing farming's merits, though I have to admit, he manages to make it somewhere approaching interesting because of how strange you can go in your analysis. Making up stupid interpretations can work as well since you can be deemed creative for it even if you're doing it more out of sarcasm than anything. I'd recommend it if you're already doing well in the subject.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ThePickle

@xMP44x: I'm really enjoying it. The first chapter grabbed the hell out of me and refused to let go. It's perfect satire.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By JaredA

Finishing up The Girl Who Played with Fire, then I am starting on Game of Thrones!

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By xMP44x

@ThePickle said:

@xMP44x: I'm really enjoying it. The first chapter grabbed the hell out of me and refused to let go. It's perfect satire.

This is very good for me to hear. It seemed like a great book but I'm wanting to read more dystopian fiction so I'd probably be happy enough to read it even if you said it was terrible.

@JaredA said:

Finishing up The Girl Who Played with Fire, then I am starting on Game of Thrones!

The Girl Who Played With Fire is a book I haven't read yet but from the comments I've seen it's divisive. Some people say it is fantastic and then others say it is drawn out and very little happens in it. Since you've actually read it though and I haven't, how are you finding the book?

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By fenixrevolution

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Was just lulling along the first few chapters, then craziness happens and it's been interesting since.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Christoffer

I'm reading Patrick Rothfuss's The name of the Wind. Thanks to Will Smith who tipped me off. It's mostly amazing, even though I'm kind of tired of fantasy.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By kindgineer

Currently I am on the second novel in the Sin War trilogy for Diablo, liking it so far. Thinking about diving into the Warhammer 40k, or maybe even regular Warhammer if there are any, after that. Never been a fan of anything "down-to-earth." Always get taken away when I read about elves and fantasy and I don't think that will ever stop :P

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ShadyPingu

Prince of Fire by Daniel Silva. What can I say, I love the spy genre. Looking to switch over to something a bit weightier next, maybe re-read Black Boy again.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By JaredA

@xMP44x: It's definitely not as good as the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I wouldn't call it boring.