What is hard thing to you complete that made you proud?

• 53 results
Avatar image for ekpyroticuniverse
Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ekpyroticuniverse

Hi all

I wrote a book and I am damn proud of myself, even if people think it’s shitty. What is your proudest achievement?

While this is a bit of a ‘look at me and buy my thing,‘ post I am genuinely interested in what others have done that makes them proud that they endured with something. Many times I couldn’t be bothered and wanted to just delete the whole thing but I didn’t.

So giantbomb what is your proudest moment

(Link for book if you are interested: http://kgwrahman.wordpress.com/lies/)

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By vikingdeath1

When I was 13 I lost 70 pounds (Was Hella overweight) and had made an agreement with my dad that if I lost 50 he would buy me a new computer (and he Totally didn't believe I could do it, which is why he agreed) and I got a Sick quad core XPS back when Quad cores were Out of this world. Super proud of losing that weight.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ekpyroticuniverse

wow thats awsome, I lost 9 stone a few years ago and totally understand how great it feels.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ltsmash

It felt good to successfully replace my iPhone screen.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@Ekpyroticuniverse: Congrats on finishing a book! I'm a writer as well and finishing a book/story is the best feeling ever.

I think for me its writing my first novel that was the hardest but most fun to do, making the step of sending it to publishers was the toughest thing ever.
Its like giving away part of your soul.
jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By jacdg

Won the equivalent of a state championship in Badminton when I was 12, only thing I've done in life so far that makes me proud.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Slowly turning a 0.6 college gpa to a 3.7, then dropping out to day trade for fun and profit.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bell_End

stopping smoking (i know i was a cock for starting in the first place).

i went from smoking 20 hand rolled cigs a day for over 15 years to zero overnight. no patches, no gum, no e-cigs, no will power. thats over 7 months ago now and i don't even think about smoking anymore.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Sorry, but I find it rather ironic that a post about writing a book gets such a terribly written title.

Anyway, I don't have anything to be proud of. I have never done anything that I felt was worthy of note, but people around me keep telling me I do things I should be proud of. The most recent example of this happened at work a month back. I currently work at a job doing tech support for HTC smartphones and in my first month on the floor I jumped to being ranked #4 out of 80 or so other agents. All the supervisors kept coming up to me telling me how amazing that was and all of that, but I didn't do anything special to get it. I just did my job and never put in any effort beyond what was needed to do the job at hand. Which made me getting that high a rank kind of sad when you stop think about it.

It always comes off as false modesty to most people around me, but it's really just me having such a low self esteem that even if I found a cure for cancer tomorrow I would probably rationalize it in my head as not being an accomplishment to be proud of because I didn't do it sooner. Rather frustrating that my mind can always find some way to rationalize putting myself down.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463:

:) Yes the title of this thread is dreadful, at work so did not really spend much time on it, unlike my book that took six bloody years. Self-esteem can be a massive barrier to realising the great things we all manage to achieve as well as preventing us from ever achieving. I am sure you have lots to be proud of but just don’t realise it.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Tylea002

Finishing my first movie screenplay, did that a couple months back.

It'll be nothing compared to the one I'm currently working on, though This shit's actually gonna get filmed.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Socialone

I worked my ass off during Cegep to get a good score for university admissions (Cegep, or College of General and Professional Education, is a 2 years mandatory extension of high school exclusive to Quebec) and managed to get a R score of whooping 34.2, the max given on the ''common scores'' spectrum being 35. Few of you can understand, but that's really high, like 96th+ percentile -- I guess that would be the equivalent of a GPA of 4.1, or more. That got me in Law school with a neat scholarship (too bad I hated it).

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Cramsy

@crusader8463 said:

Sorry, but I find it rather ironic that a post about writing a book gets such a terribly written title.

Anyway, I don't have anything to be proud of. I have never done anything that I felt was worthy of note, but people around me keep telling me I do things I should be proud of. The most recent example of this happened at work a month back. I currently work at a job doing tech support for HTC smartphones and in my first month on the floor I jumped to being ranked #4 out of 80 or so other agents. All the supervisors kept coming up to me telling me how amazing that was and all of that, but I didn't do anything special to get it. I just did my job and never put in any effort beyond what was needed to do the job at hand. Which made me getting that high a rank kind of sad when you stop think about it.

It always comes off as false modesty to most people around me, but it's really just me having such a low self esteem that even if I found a cure for cancer tomorrow I would probably rationalize it in my head as not being an accomplishment to be proud of because I didn't do it sooner. Rather frustrating that my mind can always find some way to rationalize putting myself down.

That's really unfortunate man :/ I really hope you can resolve that because you deserve to be happy.

For me, I got on a plane and went to Beijing for 6 months to study Mandarin. Getting off the plane only knowing 'Ni Hao' I progressed through hard work and hours and hours of writing, reading and listening to destroying all my exams and being able to get around in China without too much trouble. Just really proud of the progress I made.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Canteu

I have no accomplishments.

The only thing I can think of is finishing the painting of my Dwarf army.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By saethir

To date I guess it would be earning Eagle in Boy Scouts. Though the religious and political views that the group holds officially make me really bummed out about the whole thing.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slay3r1583

I guess going from dropping out of high school to getting my GED to getting an Associate Degree. It might not sound like much to some people but I'm proud of what I managed to accomplish. At that point I was only the second person in my family to graduate from college. The first being an aunt who is a CPA and lawyer.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaLe

Learning every jouyou kanji. Feels good never having to look kanji up, unless it's a person's name dammit.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Nentisys

@Canteu said:

Finishing a miniature army IS an achievement. The temptation is strong to always add more and keep working. "You know you want to make that beard highlight better or redo that freehand on that sweet cloak..."

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bell_End: One of the hardest things to do, you should be proud.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LikeaSsur

.....I beat Insanity on Gears of War 1 and 2 by myself....though reading the rest of these, that's hardly an accomplishment.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Amducious

The only thing that comes to mind which was a while ago and is nothing special at all, was successfully building my first pc (with it working)

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By theANCIENTgray

Finishing my first short film was a huge achievement for me.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread has installed a little faith back in of humanity. Each in our little ways we all rock.

Avatar image for thatindianguy7116
ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was this project in school where we had to make a collage of things that make us special or whatever along with a quote that we live by. It was kind of like a way for everyone to introduce themselves to the class. I'm a huge fan of wrestling (The "fake" stuff) and I decided I would make my collage about this. I knew everyone else was going to just make a poster or something so I decided to use one of my old toy wrestling rings and I made this huge set and I had pictures and my quote in big lettering on the top and I made it kind of look like a huge PPV event. It took me about 3-4 hours and I ended up getting 100% on it for being creative and organized and all that. I just wish I would have taken a picture of it or something because, I was extremely proud of how it turned out but, sadly, I wasn't able to take it home because I had kept it in the class the day after presented it and one of the freshmen the next day in another class period was playing with it and he or she accidentally broke it before I could take it back so I had to just throw it away. I was kind of mad but I'm glad I put so much time into it.

Also, congrats on the book. I'm not much of a reader but I'll try my best to purchase a copy if I can and check it out!

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making a shitty recording and having one person say that he liked it.  Even though he was probably trying to be nice, that felt really good.  

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By galiant

Getting a job because of my thesis.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThatIndianGuy7116: You sir are a gentleman. :) and shame it got broken would have liked to see the picture and then steal it for a desktop image.

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LD50

When I was in grade school, I won the Arizona Young Authors Award. I didn't really "win" anything but a button and a gift cert.

Also this.

Congrats on your book. If I order one will you sign it?

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Hmm, nope, I've got nothing.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mtcantor

Passed the bar exam. Bought, renovated and sold a house. Lived in Japan alone.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LD50: haha its an ebook at mo. What I can do is I was thinking of getting some posters done and such PM me an email and I will see what I can do

@mtcantor said:

had a friend who lived in japan said he found it really hard so kudos

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mtcantor

@Ekpyroticuniverse said:

@LD50: haha its an ebook at mo. What I can do is I was thinking of getting some posters done and such PM me an email and I will see what I can do

@mtcantor said:

had a friend who lived in japan said he found it really hard so kudos

Mostly just expensive and lonely/isolating. Also a ton of culture shock. Once you pick up more of the language, things open up. Great experience.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Heltom92

Nice to see an Off Topic thread that isn't totally depressing.

As for something I'm proud of, I can't really think of much. I suppose playing a set with my college band in front of a fairly large audience was pretty cool.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By myniceicelife

nothing too big. won a 4th grade district math competition and will actually finish college this december after dropping out of 3 different schools.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Jrinswand

Wow, it's a lot easier to sell your book on the Kindle than I thought it was.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Stete

Dodging a military draft which resulted in not wasting the best two years of my life locked up in adilapidated army base.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cloudenvy

Getting into a pretty great mediaproduction school. That's about it though.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Canteu said:

To be fair that is a bloody achievement. I painted a Skaven army myself and hell yeah I'm proud of that shit.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Ekpyroticuniverse: I just sent the sample of your book to my kindle. Hopefully I'll like it and send you some dough.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vodun

Getting my master's degree in interaction design and then working as one...feels kinda good to have spent all that time studying and then actually getting a job in that field when most people around me ended up working with completely different things from what they studied for.

Also winning some small photo competitions but that was a while ago.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By shinboy630

Reading this thread title was a pretty large challenge, so I'm gonna go with that.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GunslingerPanda: Cool let me know what you think.

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630: heh not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I blame the report I was writing for work. Report was on unscheduled care stats and I tell you not a fun topic to write for long on.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikethekilla

I...I got nothing.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CaLe

Oh! I also won a javelin competition with like 8 other high schools and everyone else was taller than me. Broke my personal record on the first throw and got a medal for my school. Never touched a javelin since^^ Well I guess I didn't 'complete' anything by doing this, but I remember being quite proud.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By RVonE

Maintaining my ongoing relationship for the past 11 years. Of course I'm only responsible for half of that relationship but there is nothing that makes me prouder.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kidman

Finishing my MA ('Management of multinational companies') thesis, which is something considering how lazy I am. My MA is pretty useless now but at least it's something I guess.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By dichemstys

...not being a virgin, maybe?

Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points