What is our media coming to?

Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Ishoturface

I was watching "your rock the deuce" last night (yeah at 3:00 AM )
when the music vid of "sound of madness by shinedown" came on
so i was enjoying the song.. and then the part came where they say "you can sleep with a gun" but the word gun was censored!
might i also add that the word ass is in the song as well... so why one word but not the other? oh and they were reffering "gun" to the weapon.. not what you pervs are thinking...

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CoverlessTech

Because little kids shoot up schools with guns. Little kids ruin everything.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Try watching an MTV channel in the UK. They censor everything, seriously, Changes by Tupac is more silence than song. The rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat bit at the end is probably the most ridiculous of the censors.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

It's called censorship. I see you haven't watched TV... ever.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Jambones

That's a pretty sad state of affairs.

We're pretty open with our kids about what they see and hear. My four year old has seen me play CTF in an FPS,  we've talked about guns being extremely dangerous, the fact that I am just playing a video game and noone is getting hurt in it. Then she's all about being a back-seat driver, ordering me to rush the flag :-) We also want her to understand what words mean, and when they are appropriate or inappropriate, and so on.

I've probably made myself sound like the worst father in the world... :-)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

goddamn censorship

*waves fist in angurr*
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By raidingkvatch
@Jambones said:
I've probably made myself sound like the worst father in the world... :-) "
I think you've made yourself sound like a pretty damn good father to me. That's pretty much how I've been raised and I think I'm a pretty well rounded person. I remember one of my friends' parents being outrage that my mum took me to see a 12 rated movie when I was 10, she just said that I was mature enough to enjoy the film without it having any negative effect.

I think a lot of parents are lazy and use ratings and censorship rather than taking an interest in what their kids are exposed to and deciding for themselves what their kids are and aren't mature enough to see. Then they try and find someone to scapegoat for their children being fucked up
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Censorship is at it's best when it's used by networks to play in R Rated films:
In the Big Lebowski (on Comedy Central) Walter's infamous "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS!" is turned to "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIGHT A STRANGER IN THE ALPS!"
And in Snakes on a Plane: "I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MONKEY BITING SNAKES, ON THIS MONDAY TO FRIDAY PLANE!"

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jambones
@raidingkvatch: Cheers for that :-)

Everyones_A_Critic's comment reminded me of seeing Robocop on TV years ago. They did a really bad job of dubbing it, so someone ends up saying "Mother FuCrusher." Needless to say it was a running joke in my circle of friends at the time.

Had to add the 'Monday to Friday Plane," comment to my mini-bio -- Amused. :D
xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By xionpunk

I think we have bigger problems... for example, you were enjoying a shinedown song. Ew.  :p

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cinemandrew

I once watched Mall Rats on TV, and just about every line of Jay's was redubbed. It was pretty awful. They guy they got to redo the lines was seriously the worst I've ever heard. He didn't sound anything like him. Weirdly enough though, it sounded like they got Jason Lee to redo his own lines. Probably not, but they were a pretty close match.

But as far as censoring gun in one spot, but not another, it's essentially the same as censoring goddamn, but not god or damn. That particular line wasn't cool with the word "gun" in it, and the other line was probably acceptable. This kinda stuff happens all the time. It works both ways too. For instance, saying fuck or shit in a PG-13 is generally a no no, but if you slip it in at the end of the movie, instead of somewhere in the middle, or at the beginning, you're more likely to get it past a ratings board.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By GreggD
@Jambones: Actually, you sound like a fantastic father. I'm probably going to borrow a page from your book when I'm in that situation.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pie

I go to fox news and Sun for all my news and everything seems fine.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

Censorship does suck, yes. That is the main reason I buy most of my movies and buy my music. It is pretty egregious if a word like "gun" has to be censored though.

Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15  Edited By Ishoturface
@Vinchenzo:
you would be surprised
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Expletive
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

Censorship is at it's best when it's used by networks to play in R Rated films:
In the Big Lebowski (on Comedy Central) Walter's infamous "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK A STRANGER IN THE ASS!" is turned to "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIGHT A STRANGER IN THE ALPS!"
And in Snakes on a Plane: "I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MONKEY BITING SNAKES, ON THIS MONDAY TO FRIDAY PLANE!"

"
scarface is the best one ever
"how did you get thats scar?"
"eating pineapple"