• 162 results
#1 Posted by Tonbergum (16 posts) -

I' looking into buying my first car and it can be new or used but just under $20,000. Do new cars impress more even though they might be less nice than a used car? Just need some opinions maybe even from girls what they might like, thanks!

#2 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

It depends on how old you are.

If you're under the age of, say, 18, just about any car should be impressive enough, since at that age having enough money to have any car at all is a sign of good things.

Above that, whatever you set your heart to that probably isn't second hand. Nothing fancy, just something practical and not a piece of junk.

But remember, what's more important than the car is the person behind the wheel. Can't buy that for 20 large.

This is probably appropriate, right?

#3 Edited by deadeyes (71 posts) -

That image is always appropriate!

#4 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I think you should get this one. I don't know how much it is, but who cares, right? Look at it.

#5 Edited by Tonbergum (16 posts) -

Lol that car is modded out pretty awesomely. I mean I can appreciate the craft but am looking for something more reasonable. Like would hipster girls like a Prius or a Leaf more? I'm not w hipster but those girls always seem in shape and into gaming which obviously I am. I'm also thinking about a Scion too.

#6 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

@rpgee said:

If you're under the age of, say, 18,

Can you even buy a car if you're under 18?

#7 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

Keep the utility of the car a priority. Nothing hotter than a car you can pick her and her luggage up from the airport with. Just having a well-maintained and well-cleaned car is impressive enough. Second hand or not second hand is more of a reliability issue than anything, really.

#8 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

If the girl you get is attracted to the car, I'd say she likely isn't worth your time.

#9 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

Used van with a mattress in the back and spend the rest on drugs, you clearly are not fussy about the type of girl you are attracting so a bag of weed should be ample bait.

#10 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

@rpgee said:

If you're under the age of, say, 18,

Can you even buy a car if you're under 18?

In Australia, you certainly can. Maybe if you're in the States and have a car under 18, then you're the baddest motherfucker around, so all the ladies will dig.

#11 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

#12 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

Get a car you want to drive and don't think about whether or not others like your car. You will thank me later.

#13 Posted by Arabes (338 posts) -

Spend 5 grand on a fucking shit box and the other 15 grand on hookers and coke. At least you'll be guaranteed a lay.

#14 Edited by Zlimness (541 posts) -

Definitely get a used car. Anything below 20k and new will probably be boring as hell. I'd go for a cabriolet perhaps. The BMW 3-series in original condition is just the sort of car that works for almost every instance. It's old enough to look different from most of the 90's and 00's cars, but the car isn't so old it's impossible to live with. It's understated compared to the M3 and you won't have to deal with the BMW-driver stigma that you tend to get with a M3 and later 3-series models.

#15 Edited by jkz (4003 posts) -

@alternate said:

A bag of weed should be ample bait.

'S always been my philosophy, for certain

This thread makes me cry

#16 Edited by l4wd0g (1910 posts) -

It's called your personality. Trying to impress women with your toys is never a good option.

If your looking for fiscal advice, I would say buy a used car that's over three years old. Cars depreciate about 42% of their value in the first three years and taking out a loan where you pay interest is a bad idea. Source http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-fast-does-my-new-car-lose-value-infographic.html

I bought my 2004 WRX STI in 2009 and I love it.

Edit: Fixed 52 to 42

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

#18 Edited by AziMuttyo (82 posts) -

#19 Edited by Franstone (1093 posts) -
This should work, unless you were looking for someone a little older... Haaaaa

#20 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -
All the sexy girls in Great Soviet Union will love your Trabant!

#21 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

Trust me, works like a charm.

#22 Posted by CaptainObvious (2993 posts) -

#23 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Just get something relatively recent or classic. With the latter, make sure you've got the money to redo the interior. Old carseats are shitty, and the interiors are usually also pretty funky and shitty. I was picking up a car for my dad and ended up having to drain some pretty gross shit out of it, and ended up finding a few spend bullets in there too. But if you want to impress, something like an old camaro usually can't go wrong. Not the most affordable car to drive, not the safest or most modern, but if you want style, that's the direction you should head in. That or get something comfy and reasonably spacious from the last decade. Used, of course.

Also, cars won't get you shit. Spend that money on lavishing the first girl you manage to woo, until she beds you.

Cars especially won't get you shit if you live at home. I mean, sure, you can fuck in the back seat, but that's rarely as fun as it sounds. Shit's in the way, it's cramped especially if you're a taller individual, and it's just not very comfortable.

Now, there is one way to actually impress a girl. Get a bike. You can get a very cheap and "sexy" starter bike like the Ninja 300R for about 5-6 grand brand freakin' new, an. It's a good looking bike but it's also easy to handle for a newcomer, and generally considered one of the better starter bikes in general. Bit more kick than it's older but smaller brother as well. And come on, no fucking girl worth having can resist a motorcycle. If you prefer the harley stuff, that's an option as well, suppose it depends a bit on the demographics at hand. And anyone looks good in the gear too. It's all leather and pads to make your shoulder look broad and big boots and shit. I've known girls to literally get wet at the very mention of me saving up for a new bike. Shit works, duder. But then, I am one sexy mother fucker so maybe it's just that. Prolly not though.

Cars aren't really sexy anymore, and unless you roll up in a brand new BMW it's unlikely she'll be impressed. It's gotta be a classic muscle/sports car or a decent and good lookin' bike.

#24 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (944 posts) -

Get a motorcycle.

#25 Edited by AlexW00d (6186 posts) -

Ladas get allllll the girls

#26 Posted by joey (980 posts) -

Make sure you get a car that goes boom.

#27 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Why would you buy a car, when you can buy a vespa.

I'm sure I have a vespa image uploaded, but i can't scroll down farther than a page.

#28 Posted by berniesbc (43 posts) -

A car is really not going to impress many worthwhile girls. Especially not an economical $20,000 one.

#29 Edited by Raven10 (1728 posts) -

Dude, trust me when I say that girls who are impressed that you have a car are probably not worth your time. There is this thing called a compatible personality that won't be a factor for a girl who only wants a guy with money. Just get something reliable, safe, and spacious. It is much better if you can, for example, drive her to that concert she really wants to go to. That's an actual action and display of affection, which will probably mean a lot more to her than your money. As long as you don't go for a mini-van you are probably safe as far as style goes.

#30 Posted by CaLe (3911 posts) -

No offense, but that's probably one of the most pathetic sounding thread titles I've ever read.

#31 Edited by Gnubberen (762 posts) -

#32 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

Maybe invest in a unicycle?

#33 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

A big rig maybe? Alex loves them.

#34 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@akeldama said:

If the girl you get is attracted to the car, I'd say she likely isn't worth your time.

#35 Posted by stalefishies (330 posts) -

get two cars, one left-hand drive, one right-hand drive

remove the driver side doors on both and learn to drive them at the same time, straddled across the two of them

plus if you don't get the girl, you have an amazing circus career ahead of you

#36 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

God I hope this thread is a joke.

#37 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Damn, you might as well buy a shit load of good quality hookers with that money.

#38 Edited by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -
#39 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -
pussy magnet

#40 Edited by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

Found this very suitable Ford Mustang on Craigslist. Well below your budget at only 5200 dollars. Looks solid. Can't go wrong with a Mustang, the King of cars. With all that extra dough I'd give it a paint job. It would look fierce in black.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3777635677.html

#41 Edited by pyromagnestir (4247 posts) -

Buy a shit ton of matchbox cars. That's the ticket. Or:

#42 Edited by Jimbo (9774 posts) -

You are the worst kind of person. But if you want clunge, get a bike.

#43 Edited by Brodehouse (9588 posts) -

20k would be better spent as a down payment on a house.

Practical girls probably won't care how fancy your car is, only that you have one and it's reliable. Impractical girls that you just want to have a good time with, will probably be more impressed if you worked out on a regular basis and bought a 40 dollar shirt rather than if you spent 20k on a piece of tin.

Girls you want relationships with, get a good car, not a pretty one. Girls you want anonymous sex with, save your money, work out, get a cab ride home.

Preferably to the house you put a down payment on.

#44 Edited by Kidavenger (3511 posts) -

After buying a couple of expensive convertibles, I've found that girls don't give a shit about what you drive as long as it isn't an old unreliable eyesore.

20k would be better spent as a down payment on a house.

Do this.

#45 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (545 posts) -

If you are trying to get hipster chicks, then get a bicycle with an extra seat attatched. So cheap, yet so whimsical, it has to work. Have a CD player attached somehow so she can listen to her ukelele music.

#46 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

This is a 2008 Dodge Charger. Check around for older/newer used ones as prices vary from el cheapo to el extreme. Go impress someone with it, yo.

#47 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -
Tags: jeremy-clarkson top-gear p45 worlds-smallest-car tiny-car
This is all you need.
#48 Edited by AssInAss (2543 posts) -

If you are trying to get hipster chicks, then get a bicycle with an extra seat attatched. So cheap, yet so whimsical, it has to work. Have a CD player attached somehow so she can listen to her ukelele music.

OMG this thread is amazing! A legendary thread.

#49 Edited by theguy (796 posts) -
#50 Posted by hollitz (1423 posts) -

Why would you want a girl who cares what you drive?