What is the most annoying double standard to you?

• 160 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By crusader8463

I hate how only white people can be racist in this day and age and how so many women running around claiming that they want to be equals really just want the benefits of being both sexes and want nothing to do with true equality.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#102  Edited By Video_Game_King

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SwaziSpring said:

White person attacks/kills/insults black person and it's the liberal "outrage of the week," yet if a black person attacks/kills/rapes/insults a white person, it doesn't even make the news.

Really?

I'm not even sure of the direction of this racism. Is it criticizing how white people are perceived as racist, or how black people are perceived as criminally violent? It could go either way.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By TruthTellah

@JazGalaxy said:

@TruthTellah said:

@JazGalaxy said:

Here's my pet peeve:

I'm black and I grew up in Ohio. My mom was really into reading and teaching us to read as we grew up and as a result, I have extremely good diction and a regional accent that's considered pretty standard. I get told I sound like a newsman pretty frequently.

I moved to Texas about halfway through my life, and down here, everyone has the worst diction imaginable. They draw out their words, they add syllables that shouldn't exist and take away ones that are necessary. They "drawl" out most words until their almost unintelligble. This is all, one would say, an "accent". A way of speaking that's regional and nonstandard.

The double standard comes in when these people, who are frequently white, talk about how urban people, who are usually black, speak with ignorant comments like "why don't they just learn english". Or any number of other variations to the effect that they believe they speak english "right" and people of other ethnicities speak it "poorly" and this is an effect of their being "stupid".

I even got into a debate one time about the concept that a lot of text books and whatnot are written by white people, for white people. He couldn't understand how, if the book was actually written in "proper" english, it would look a lot less like what he was familiar with and a lot more like Canterbury tales or something.

Everything is an accent.

What part of Texas are you in? West Texas? I live in the Dallas area, and you hardly ever hear too much "drawl".

Though, isn't it a tad ironic that you're mocking how they talk while your point is that everything is an accent? I mean, what is wrong is close-mindedness, not having a local accent or dialect. I've met plenty of people with a "Southern drawl" who are fine people, just as I have met decent people who speak any number of ways. People have their accents, and that's okay. There's no reason for us to make fun of them or stereotype them. While it is wrong that some people you have met hypocritically consider an alternative accent as a bad thing, that doesn't absolve you from doing a similar thing toward them. If you are truly pursuing a path that is better than theirs, you should watch out for such stereotyping and negative generalizing showing up in your own words. It is far too easy to see a double standard and construct your own.

This is certainly a common problem that you have described, and I share your consternation with its prevalence. Yet, even the best among us can fall prey to this way of defining others by their accents or dialects. Don't let close-minded people ruin things further by dragging you down with them. A person is a person whether they have a "Southern drawl", an "urban flair", or a "Northern twang". An individual's character is what ultimately defines them, not the color of their skin or the flow of their speech.

I'm not mocking the way they speak, I'm just attempting to point out how "incorrect" it is. The underlaying point they make, and this is just a flat out human prejudice and logical bias, is that they way they do it, or accept it, is correct and the way other people do it is incorrect. They would take a deep georgian accent as just a quirky bit of local color whereas they would take an urban accent as being the slovenly distructon of our country's language and heritage. One would never tell the most souther fried accent, or hard boiled new yorker to "learn to talk properly".

I dated a caucasian Mississipi girl who would pronounce "hired" as "haard", "fired" as "faard" and tired as "taard". She would always be like "yahl know yew thaank mah aksen is kewt". And indeed a lot of people said they did. I wasn't one of htem, but, different strokes.

The point isn't to make fun of anyone, I'm just saying there's a double standard for urban accents that black people tend to have and other accents that white people tend to have wherein they think the ones they accept are fine and the ones they dislike are an abonation of the english language brought about by stupid people who refuse to learn to speak properly.

The issue is that you have also seemed to be characterizing this as a specific problem for people with such accents. "Those white people with Southern accents are intolerant of urban accents." And, heh, your representations of how they sound are unnecessary. You could just say "They had a Southern accent". Frankly, I'm still not quite sure what your ex-girlfriend has to do with anything. If your point was to note that Caucasians also have accents, that isn't really much of a story. They certainly do, as do most people, and I'm familiar with how a certain kind of "drawl" sounds.

And, unfortunately, you actually -have- had people say for people with Southern accents to "learn to talk properly". It's a common issue between more Northern and Southern Americans. It has been around for generations. It's a rather common perception of "more refined" people to look down on those with any kind of "drawl" as uneducated. Hear a guy with a Southern accent in a business, and there's often a perception that they're a "good ol boy". This has been played upon in media for as long as I can remember. The uppity Northerner with their New York accent and the uneducated Southerner with their Georgia accent. And then, as you have pointed out, people have complained about an "urban" accent. It's simply the common ways in which our social divisions allow local accents and dialects to become reasons for projecting negative preconceptions on others.

I had a language-based learning disability when I was a child, and it meant that I didn't pick up on language naturally. While I understood English, I did not speak it or adapt my speech to fit the patterns of those around me. So, I had to get speech training to speak English. That led to me having a very professorial style of speech which has maintained a decent bit to this day. Thus, I had issues with other children regarding me as a "snob" because I lacked a more local accent. The difference itself was the issue. As I grew up, I hardly ever saw -specific- differences in accents to be more bothersome than others; the primary issue was that they were different at all. For example, a businessman from Maine not respecting that I used the socially-acquired "yall" in my speech, or a young African American student who thought I was patronizing him by trying to befriend him in my usual, longer-form speaking style. It's more of a wider issue of difference than a specific double standard. People have their differences in acquired accents and dialects, and unfortunately, many will very often project upon others based on their preconceptions connected to those styles of speech.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Atheists who think pushing their beliefs on others is any better than fundies doing the same thing.

Cianyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Cianyx

@EthanielRain said:

Playing a lot of video games is a waste of time...watching a lot of TV is perfectly fine.

People actually encourage this?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Milkman
@Xolare

Hitting women is wrong.

Probably gonna get a lot of hate for that.

Man, there aren't many threads that can go to complete and utter shit in just one post.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's really a "double standard", but the idea in some circles that all straight white males are evil oppressors and the scum of the earth.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By scalpel

@Bocam said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Claiming someone's opinion is wrong but yours is right

This is the worst.

How the hell is that a double standard?

SwaziSpring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By SwaziSpring

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SwaziSpring said:

White person attacks/kills/insults black person and it's the liberal "outrage of the week," yet if a black person attacks/kills/rapes/insults a white person, it doesn't even make the news.

Really?

Someone had to bring it up.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By EthanielRain

@Cianyx said:

@EthanielRain said:

Playing a lot of video games is a waste of time...watching a lot of TV is perfectly fine.

People actually encourage this?

Seems like it's less of an issue now, but I can remember getting ragged on all the time for playing a game for several hours in a row...while those same people plopped themselves down in front of the TV for hours on end after school/work & never thought twice about it.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By Questionable

@FourWude said:

Weed being unacceptable but alcohol is fine. HYPOCRITES. They drink satans love juice but deny the blunt.

The bible itself states that alcohol is fine when taken in moderation.

Besides, they serve wine in churches as the blood of Jesus if i recall correctly.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@mscupcakes said:

Since we're already talking about gender double standards, how about the fact that a guy that sleeps with a lot of women is considered to be some sort of player where if a women sleeps with a lot of men she's considered a whore?

@SomeDeliCook said:

Claiming someone's opinion is wrong but yours is right

These two, longside with sexism.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Funrush

@JasonR86 said:

Anything involving women.

I want equality in every form. So women who are just as qualified as me at my job should get the same rate of pay as me. Also women who are physically fit and able should be asked to partake in physical activity as often as I am. A perfect example of this occurred last month. My female cousin and her husband moved and asked my father, brother and I to help her since we own trucks and are physically fit. We agreed with the assumption that we would get some help from my cousin and the rest of my cousins (who happen to be women). No cousin helped us. They all sat there and watched us though. I even asked them to help and they made the comment "That stuff is too heavy for us." Bullshit. She had furniture which may have been too heavy. But she also had boxes full of stuff varying in weight as well as hand-trucks that could take the burden off their arms. But they didn't lift a finger because apparently that was 'man' work. Fucking nonsense.

This sums up my feelings on the women thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86 said:

Anything involving women.

I want equality in every form. So women who are just as qualified as me at my job should get the same rate of pay as me. Also women who are physically fit and able should be asked to partake in physical activity as often as I am. A perfect example of this occurred last month. My female cousin and her husband moved and asked my father, brother and I to help her since we own trucks and are physically fit. We agreed with the assumption that we would get some help from my cousin and the rest of my cousins (who happen to be women). No cousin helped us. They all sat there and watched us though. I even asked them to help and they made the comment "That stuff is too heavy for us." Bullshit. She had furniture which may have been too heavy. But she also had boxes full of stuff varying in weight as well as hand-trucks that could take the burden off their arms. But they didn't lift a finger because apparently that was 'man' work. Fucking nonsense.

Well, since they insisted on being sexist, why didn't you tell them to go make some sandwiches since that is "woman" work?

Unless they were astoundingly thick the inherent redicilousness of that phrase should've made them see the folly of their ways.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#115  Edited By Sambambo

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

As you should.

Hitting a woman will cause a lot more damage than a man hitting a man.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Sambambo

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Nah I feel you. My younger brother was suspended from school once for defending himself from two girls that were attacking him. He also got a broken nose from the three guys that jumped him while he was defending himself from the girls. So yeah, totally feel you on that one.

Three guys and two girls ganged up on your brother? But....why?

Short answer: Kids are assholes.

Long answer: My brother was frequently teased and harassed by these two girls during his freshman year. One particular day he must have finally reached his breaking point and called one of the girls something along the lines of "a massive bitch". Like 99% of bullies, they can dish it but they can't take it and her response was to kick him in the scrotum, and soon after both of them were kicking him while he was on the ground. After they stopped he got up and grabbed one of the girls by the hair and threw her to the ground, and punched the other girl in face. After doing so, three nearby guys who were present the whole time then ganged up on him and beat the hell out of him, while one of the girls grabbed a teacher and said that he hit her. One thing led to another and he was suspended, along with two of the three guys that were beating him up. The girls didn't get in trouble as far as I know.

Your brother sounds like a dick.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do as I say not as I do Honestly this applies to everything nothing pisses me off more then someone enforcing a rule they refuse to follow.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Nah I feel you. My younger brother was suspended from school once for defending himself from two girls that were attacking him. He also got a broken nose from the three guys that jumped him while he was defending himself from the girls. So yeah, totally feel you on that one.

Long answer: My brother was frequently teased and harassed by these two girls during his freshman year. One particular day he must have finally reached his breaking point and called one of the girls something along the lines of "a massive bitch". Like 99% of bullies, they can dish it but they can't take it and her response was to kick him in the scrotum, and soon after both of them were kicking him while he was on the ground. After they stopped he got up and grabbed one of the girls by the hair and threw her to the ground, and punched the other girl in face. After doing so, three nearby guys who were present the whole time then ganged up on him and beat the hell out of him, while one of the girls grabbed a teacher and said that he hit her. One thing led to another and he was suspended, along with two of the three guys that were beating him up. The girls didn't get in trouble as far as I know.

nah high school girls are ass holes. well 3/4 of them are anyway.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#119  Edited By huntad

@JasonR86: I think the problem I have with this is that women, and men, take the stereotypes that benefit them and then complain about them later. Everyone wants to be treated equally so long as they receive the special privileges that come with their gender. I'm actually fine with how the world treats men and women, because I understand that both genders are completely different.

But I fucking hate it when men or women complain about it later.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120  Edited By craigbo180

@Questionable said:

@FourWude said:

Weed being unacceptable but alcohol is fine. HYPOCRITES. They drink satans love juice but deny the blunt.

The bible itself states that alcohol is fine when taken in moderation.

Besides, they serve wine in churches as the blood of Jesus if i recall correctly.

Oh right well if the bible says it then yeah it's cool.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSambo: Bullshit the Female body is perfectly capable of doing all the damage a man is you are demonstrating a sexist assumption women are weak and need protected. If you can dish it out you can take it plain and simple doesn't matter who it is.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By Animasta

@living4theday258 said:

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

no. 3/4 of high schoolers are assholes, not just girls (sexist ass motherfucker)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lives of men and women. On both sides. We're both fraught with contradictions and an inability to truly relate on pure genetic levels.

But at the same time; that men and women are different is the most humanizing thing about us. Our differences are what make us human, and give us identity.

It's a contradiction in itself: the desire to relate, the need to be different. What a piece of work is man.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Sambambo

@darkdragonmage99 said:

@SuperSambo: Bullshit the Female body is perfectly capable of doing all the damage a man is you are demonstrating a sexist assumption women are weak and need protected. If you can dish it out you can take it plain and simple doesn't matter who it is.

Need protected? No. Weak? No.

Average woman a lot physically weaker than average male? Yes.

There is nothing sexist about it, it is fact.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#125  Edited By DarthOrange

Don't know if this has been said yet but not allowing a certain "F" word because it may be offensive to homosexuals then selling a shirt that says "China Don't Care" which may be offensive to a whole country. Them double standards be bullshit. Either offend everyone or offend no one.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Funrush

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

Not really. His actions seem pretty justified, they started it. Was he supposed to just let them beat the shit out of him?

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@living4theday258 said:

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

no. 3/4 of high schoolers are assholes, not just girls (sexist ass motherfucker)

3/4 of the general population of the world are ass holes. I am not a sexist mother fucker.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#128  Edited By Justin258

@living4theday258 said:

@Animasta said:

@living4theday258 said:

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

3/4 of the general population of the world are ass holes. I am not a sexist mother fucker.

I hate to say it, but you pointed out girls first, brother.

And I'd peg the number of asshole high schoolers at 98%.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperSambo said:

@darkdragonmage99 said:

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MikkaQ

@DarthOrange said:

Don't know if this has been said yet but not allowing a certain "F" word because it may be offensive to homosexuals then selling a shirt that says "China Don't Care" which may be offensive to a whole country. Them double standards be bullshit. Either offend everyone or offend no one.

Because a word that implies you want to burn someone on kindling for their sexual orientation is totally the same as claiming a country is indifferent to copyright.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#131  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is anybody here gonna cite actual facts? I've been browsing a bit, and I haven't seen anybody link to studies or reputable articles or...anything.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Sambambo

@TeflonBilly said:

@SuperSambo said:

@darkdragonmage99 said:

I did think about this scene as I typed it...

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Shaka999

One of my favorites: It's not okay to racially stereotype someone, but for whatever reason, it's perfectly fine to politically stereotype EVERYONE. (NOTE: I'm not promoting stereotyping, I'm saying it shouldn't be ok at all).

I also hate politics with just about every fiber of my being.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By psylah

The kettle can call the pot black, but as soon as the pot calls the kettle black, there's some sort of problem.

Fuck this shit, it needs to stop!

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#135  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

It was only a matter of time. You are joking... right?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Sambambo

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Xolare said:

Hitting women is wrong.

It was only a matter of time. You are joking... right?

No.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@SuperSambo: But... you don't know him. Care to explain why you think this?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Sambambo

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Punching a woman in the face and pulling the other one's hair, after they had stopped, meaning that is wasn't self defence.

Don't give a shit about if you think it is double standards, to me that is being a dick.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Punching a woman in the face and pulling the other one's hair, after they had stopped.

Don't give a shit about if you think it is double standards, to me that is being a dick.

I don't blame him, he endured years of this bullshit from those girls. And it's not like they just abruptly stopped and walked off, they continued to shit talk him and gloat, etc. I just don't see how he could possibly be a dick, especially when this was the first time he's ever been violent.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Sambambo

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@SuperSambo said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

Punching a woman in the face and pulling the other one's hair, after they had stopped.

I don't blame him, he endured years of this bullshit from those girls. And it's not like they just abruptly stopped and walked off, they continued to shit talk him and gloat, etc. I just don't see how he could possibly be a dick, especially when this was the first time he's ever been violent.

"My brother was frequently teased and harassed by these two girls during his freshman year."

Years or year?

Anyway, nothing good will come of this. You will defend your brother (as you should) and I will express the views that I believe in.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#141  Edited By jacdg
@Video_Game_King said:

Is anybody here gonna cite actual facts? I've been browsing a bit, and I haven't seen anybody link to studies or reputable articles or...anything.

Who needs facts, this is the internet silly! 
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@SuperSambo: Agreed.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#143  Edited By isomeri
  • People who eat meat, but think hunting is wrong.
  • Women who wear shirts with obvious cleavage, but get offended when you look at said cleavage.
  • People saying that smoking is bad for you whilst they have a drink in their hand. Also, the other way around.
  • "Caffeine is not a drug."
krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#144  Edited By krazy_kyle

... Muslims...

*RUNS for cover*

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#145  Edited By aurahack

@isomeri said:

• People who eat meat, but think hunting is wrong.

Which reminds me of "People who are against animal testing but still use regular-ass shampoo, soaps, medication, etc."

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#146  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Why is spending your free time playing and/or talking about video games all the time considered bad in the eyes of the mainstream public, yet watching ESPN all day and obsessing over sports teams is fine?

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By FidusLingura

how any foreign people living in your country of origin get treated 1000 times better by the government than you ever will

a friend I was in school with has been out of work for 2 years this month. his workplace closed down from poor earnings for over a year and a half so they shut shop before it took them into the red. Once he finished he was told he had to wait 3 months after the day he lost his job to get any benefits, and was informed by the council during this time he had to leave his council house and ended up living back with his parents until he could sort out his situation.

Yet a foreign friend of mine hasn't worked in the 4 years hes lived in this country yet he has been given a house he doesn't have to pay any rent for until he gets a job, discounts on his gas and electric bills, doesn't have to pay any taxes until hes working, the list goes on and on too. and even when he gets a job this doesn't get backdated, he just starts paying from the date he started work.

It makes me wonder how we are seen in the governments eye at times

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#148  Edited By Samaritan

Modern society being tolerant/understanding of cultures/religions, except when they're not.