#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3438 posts) -

I'm not an expert at this stuff but I'm trying to build a website for someone and I need a place to put it online. doesn't have to be too fancy. I just need control over the file structure and stuff. I was going to use Google Sites but it doesn't let you upload any code.

I haven't made a website in years like since geocities was a thing. What do people use now?

#2 Posted by JaredA (832 posts) -

Go Daddy is the popular choice, I think. I haven't used them personally, but they have commercials with beautiful women in them during the Super Bowl so they must be awesome.

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3438 posts) -

@JaredA said:

Go Daddy is the popular choice, I think. I haven't used them personally, but they have commercials with beautiful women in them during the Super Bowl so they must be awesome.

yeah its annoying. everything is so riddled with bullshit these days its impossible to find the stuff that just works.

#4 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@JaredA said:

yeah its annoying. everything is so riddled with bullshit these days its impossible to find the stuff that just works.

I thought they just registered domains. It's not a web hosting service, as far as I know, so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

#5 Posted by Devil240Z (3438 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@Devil240Z said:

@JaredA said:

I thought they just registered domains. It's not a web hosting service, as far as I know, so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

who knows what they do. their commercials sure don't explain it.

#6 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

I use WestHost, which might be a bit too expensive for what you want. Either way, whatever you pick, google "<webhostingsitename> coupons", and you can net yourself up to 50% off your package.

#7 Posted by McPaper (255 posts) -

@Devil240Z: Github.com

#8 Posted by Devil240Z (3438 posts) -

@mandude said:

I use WestHost, which might be a bit too expensive for what you want. Either way, whatever you pick, google "<webhostingsitename> coupons", and you can net yourself up to 50% off your package.

man this shit was so much easier when I was in school. unlimited perfect free web hosting.

#9 Posted by JaredA (832 posts) -
@Devil240Z

@Scrawnto said:

@Devil240Z said:

@JaredA said:

who knows what they do. their commercials sure don't explain it.

I'm pretty sure they do. I was comparing prices for a web site I was working on and that was one of the extra services they provided. Domain registration is there main focus, though.
#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

GoDaddy are a bunch of bastard assholes who don't give a shit about anything but their quarterly profits and hunting big game.

#11 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@Devil240Z said:

@JaredA said:

No, they do hosting as well, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They're a sleazy company with terrible service. Also they supported SOPA. A Small Orange is a great hosting service, but it's not free.

#12 Posted by Dogma (988 posts) -

I know people using Dreamhost. Nice laid back company but not free. Does it actually exist free hosting services? They must be drenched in ads.

#13 Posted by DrShilliams (86 posts) -

Another recommendation for A Small Orange here, whilst not free they're still pretty cheap.

#14 Posted by Devil240Z (3438 posts) -

Damn... ok. I guess times have changed.

#15 Edited by Silver-Streak (1383 posts) -
#16 Posted by Devil240Z (3438 posts) -