#1 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (506 posts) -

What is the very first video game you remember playing? For me it was Xevious. I vaguely remember playing it on an arcade machine in some shopping mall when I was very young.

#2 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

First video game? Shit. Probably Combat on the Atari 2600.

#3 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

ET on 2600

#4 Posted by Remedy25 (131 posts) -

Asteroids on the Atari 2600, ah those we're the good old days! 

#5 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Pong
#6 Posted by the_shref (40 posts) -

i remember playing frogger on the atari :)

#7 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

#8 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -

It was a choose your own adventure game. I had the choice between choking on my umbilical cord or exiting the womb. I've been playing since then and the game has taught me a lot. Now I absorb knowledge like I absorbed my twin in the womb. 

#9 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

that would be tetris and mario back in 1985. :p

#10 Posted by takedown50 (27 posts) -

I think it was sonic the hedgehog for the megadrive (or genesis if you live overseas) I was born too late to enjoy an atari and a nes

#11 Posted by Steve_C (1757 posts) -

I have a  mixture of early memories. It could have been:

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World (master system)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (master sytstem)
  • Sonic 2 (megadrive)
  • Streets of Rage 2 (megadrive)
#12 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Sonic 3.

#13 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

DKC1, 2, or Earthworm Jim, when I was extremely young. I didn't start gaming until I was fifteen really ;)

#14 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -

Baldur's Gate.

#15 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

Either Mortal Kombat II as Milena on the Genesis or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project as Michelangelo and my brother was Raphael.  

#16 Posted by mjk1 (205 posts) -

Probably Yogi Bear on the Spectrum

#17 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2178 posts) -

I can't exactly remember. It was either Sonic or Crash Bandicoot 2. But I'm not 100% sure.

#18 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

I am still trying to remember the damn thing till this day. 

It was some kind of pixlated Golf game between 1992 and 1994 or something. Its name is something I have yet to discover.

#19 Posted by DarkShaper (1349 posts) -

Man, I feel way to young to be here now, since I started on  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

#20 Edited by Buck (148 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it was Super Mario 64 in a toy shop. I was probably 4 years old at the time and it was the first time I ever touched or had seen a console/game. I did nothing but jump around in the castle and thought it was awesome, while my sister was pissed because I didn't do it right. One of my best memories haha.

#21 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Tetris or Super Mario Bros.

#22 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -
@ZeroCast said:
" I am still trying to remember the damn thing till this day.   It was some kind of pixlated Golf game between 1992 and 1994 or something. Its name is something I have yet to discover. "
I was going to say Mario Bros. for the NES, but this sounds so hauntingly familiar...
#23 Posted by Buck (148 posts) -
@DarkShaper said:
" Man, I feel way to young to be here now, since I started on  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. "
You're not alone hehe :)
#24 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5156 posts) -

There were a few educational games but the first real game was Heroes 3 the second was Red Alert.

#25 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
Duck Hunt, because it is the very first game I played(when I was 3 years old).
#26 Posted by TwoLines (2843 posts) -

River raid!
Awww yeah!

#27 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1877 posts) -

super mario bros, when i was about 5.

#28 Posted by The_Painted (181 posts) -

Skate or Die, I think... Possibly Super Mario Bros.

#29 Posted by slax0r (26 posts) -

It had to be Super Mario Bros.  Before then, I didn't really know what a video game was, since I was only five.  

Of course, Star Fox taught me the word methodically.

#30 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -
@DarkShaper said:
" Man, I feel way to young to be here now, since I started on  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. "
Damn, you make even me feel old.
#31 Posted by Arkasai (702 posts) -

I have some fond memories of Duck Hunt...and I think a Castelvania game...but that might've been later on SNES.  I remember the first game I beat on my own was Final Fantasy 2 on SNES, and it took me months.  

#32 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@Galiant said:

" @ZeroCast said:

" I am still trying to remember the damn thing till this day.   It was some kind of pixlated Golf game between 1992 and 1994 or something. Its name is something I have yet to discover. "
I was going to say Mario Bros. for the NES, but this sounds so hauntingly familiar... "
I don't recall playing Mario Bros. for the NES, but here's something awesome ; I just found out through our wonderful Giant Bomb database that I played this Golf game on the NEC PC-8801! 

At least that narrows it down to this game or this. There isn't a single picture regarding the later other than the cover but I am finally relieved after ages of searching :D.
#33 Posted by White_Silhouette (477 posts) -

NightStalker... 
thank you Game room for reliving some great memories.

#34 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

super mario bros. or duck hunt

one of those

#35 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

mortal kombat 3
#36 Posted by RetroMetal (203 posts) -

Space Invaders arcade unit.  Probably around 1975-76.

#37 Posted by Vonocourt (2169 posts) -

Gunstar Heroes on the Genesis.

#38 Posted by Slurpelve (620 posts) -

sonic 2

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Super Mario World probably.

#40 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -

some two player submarine game me and my bro would play on either the master system or genesis, really cant remember the name tho. 

i wish i could, id love to get a copy now

#41 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

It was either an Atari 2600 baseball game, pokemon red, Kirby, or Legend of Zelda. Can't remember.

#42 Posted by Gre (154 posts) -

I can remember playing an ASCII-based helicopter game on the Commodore Vic-20.  I think there was a space invaders clone and a soccer game too.

#43 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

River Raid on 2600.

#44 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

I think Alone in the dark, but I can't be sure... or it was like river raid but on the master system.

#45 Posted by ZimboDK (843 posts) -

Pacman, with a mind-blowing  2 colors. Green background, white maze, Pacman, pellets, ghosts etc.

#46 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -

Super Mario Bros., NES.

#47 Posted by Matterless (328 posts) -

The grocery store in my hometown had Paperboy,  Donkey Kong, and Ikari Warriors out front. So one of those.
#48 Posted by eatalargefrog (40 posts) -

duck hunt

#49 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Uncle Bouncy's Less than Fun House.

#50 Edited by Insectecutor (1205 posts) -

Mr. Do
Except it was a bootlegged version for the BBC Micro called Mr. Ee. I sank an imperial crapton of time into that. Also Repton, Spaceman Sid, Shark and Stryker's Run, which was one of Chris Roberts' first games.