What is the worst character flaw a person can have?

• 129 results
MaestroRedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,
I was thinking about this the other day. What is the worst thing that a person can be ethics-wise? Arrogant? Dishonest? A hypocrite? entitled?

I guess to explain myself better, what kinds of moral failures can a person have that YOU find to be the most disgusting?

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A need to murder

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonest

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Serial killer is not a nice trait to have.

Walking in the middle of the street to see if the bus is coming is a close second.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on what I want to do with the person. But generally for being my friend, I would say being annoying.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Compulsive liar, probably

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Uncontrollable stabbing.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Psycopathy?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I would say lack of empathy. It's the foundation of psychopathy, and paves the way for all other ethical transgressions.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage said:

I would say lack of empathy. It's the foundation of psychopathy, and paves the way for all other ethical transgressions.

Aw, i'd say most people who lack empathy don't turn into anything violent. I generally like people who lack empathy, you can count on them to not disguise the truth.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7 said:

A need to murder

I was thinking psychopathic killer myself. Not sure what could be worse.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Avatar image for johnsonvillebratwurst
JohnsonvilleBratwurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being Hitler

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@savage said:

Aw, i'd say most people who lack empathy don't turn into anything violent. I generally like people who lack empathy, you can count on them to not disguise the truth.

I think the opposite is true; if you lack empathy, then you're probably prone to telling people exactly what they want to hear - rather than the actual truth.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lack of empathy

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Being a liar.

That was easy.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Jealousy

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As somebody who has struggled with being dishonest/compulsively lying (and liking anime), I'm just gonna put it out there that I think there's probably worse things one can be. Like, maybe obstinate self-importance/lack of empathy. Or being overly-nihilistic. Even then, I have a hard time seeing myself finding a person disgusting for one flaw.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9 said:

@savage said:

I think the opposite is true; if you lack empathy, then you're probably prone to telling people exactly what they want to hear - rather than the actual truth.

but why would they care about what I want to hear? Would they not just tell me the honest truth? Like me: "how do i look?" person: "you got a large pimple right there, and you smell like you just had expired milk for breakfast"

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hubris.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything that signifies self-loathing.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pride. What can I say, I'm traditional.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever trait compels people to tell other people what to do. I don't know what drives that. Maybe pride? Hubris? Whatever you want to call it.

Don't tell people what to do.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of empathy is one of the very few things I can't abide in a person.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maestroredd: I'd have to say a natural tendency to want to rape, murder, and or torture. Those are the worst character traits you can have.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cerberus3dog

A lust for violence? BJ Blazkowicz in Wolfenstein: The New Order was off putting to me for that reason.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HH

i'm not saying this is worse than being a psycho murderer or anything, but something i hate to see, and be guilty of:

notions of superiority, which most people have in some form or another, be it racism, or classism, or sexism, or taste-ism, a lot of people get the impulse to look down on others, especially if they're down themselves. if you're not better than someone then you're the worst. it's like the most base way to build up self esteem.

it's only natural, but it's horrible when it shows itself.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

outside of violent stuff, overly individualistic people tick me right off

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Hunter5024

One combo I can't stand is Pride and Close Mindedness.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By erhard

A conformist mentality, a lack of pride or dignity, or a lack of compassion.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being overly negative and critical of others. <3

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Left-handedness. Evil, pure evil.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@cerberus3dog: How? It seemed to me like Machine Games were trying to make a point of how tired of it all BJ was, hence all his short little dreams where he imagined a BBQ and kids.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Taking things too seriously.

thunderspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having murderous intent is normal. Executing on those murderous intents.....not friend material.

Otherwise, adults that are selfish and lack gratitude. The people I dislike the most tend to exihibit those behaviours.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People that think super bowl halftime shows are a good idea. Those people are the worst.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bad listeners. Drives me crazy.

And in the same vein as that, people who interrupt other people when they're talking.

And compulsive liars. My mam actually does that and she's not even good at it. It's usually trivial stuff, usually. She'd say something and I'd straight away be like "That's a lie, why would you lie about that, there is no reason to lie about that" and she just giggles and says "I don't know really"

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@gamefreak9 said:

@beachthunder said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@savage said:

but why would they care about what I want to hear? Would they not just tell me the honest truth? Like me: "how do i look?" person: "you got a large pimple right there, and you smell like you just had expired milk for breakfast"

It depends on how politically minded a person is, in my experience. Someone who wants to manipulate others to boost their own social standing will willfully bend their opinion (or the truth) to incite a favourable outcome. It's not just people who "lack empathy" that do this. Anyone who manages to succeed in the rat race is capable of it to some degree. Lying has become a fundamental part of the human experience. Nobody actually wants to hear the truth, let alone about themselves. If they did, people wouldn't get so ornery when they're told their baby is ugly.

My personal pet peeve is people who make gross generalizations about others in order to fit their narrow, black and white perspective. If you do X that must mean you're Y. You see it all the time on social media sites like Tumblr and Twitter. Nobody wants to actually think about what another person is saying. Just easier to strip away the nuance and categorize them as "One Of Us" or "Other".

I think I might be a misanthrope.

TheBloodRite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: Normally your argument would be valid, but empathy is responsible for the existence of human morality. If you were incapable of understanding or caring about another's suffering, it is not any sort of 'prejudice' or 'generalisation' to infer that you would be more wont to lie in order to get what you want, politically-minded or no. The only sort of person who wouldn't lie for self-gain in that mindset is someone whose apathy is stronger than their ambition. This isn't black and white. There are shades of grey. But someone without an empathic limiter on their actions is logically more likely to do these things, even if they aren't guaranteed by any means.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Chewing with your mouth open.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@thebloodrite said:

@oldirtybearon: Normally your argument would be valid, but empathy is responsible for the existence of human morality. If you were incapable of understanding or caring about another's suffering, it is not any sort of 'prejudice' or 'generalisation' to infer that you would be more wont to lie in order to get what you want, politically-minded or no. The only sort of person who wouldn't lie for self-gain in that mindset is someone whose apathy is stronger than their ambition. This isn't black and white. There are shades of grey. But someone without an empathic limiter on their actions is logically more likely to do these things, even if they aren't guaranteed by any means.

I think you just agreed with me? I was pointing out that lying for personal gain does not exist solely in the realm of psychopaths. Nor does it necessarily mean a psychopath (by definition a person who cannot feel empathy, remorse, distress, or fear) would be adverse to it. I said that it depended on the individual and how politically minded they are. A psychopath can be smart enough to understand that saying "your dress makes you look fat" is not tactful and actively damages their relationship with that individual. Depending on how much social capital they have invested in that person, a psychopath may view this as a potentially damaging move to their own social standing.

I'd also argue that empathy is not responsible for the existence of human morality, but I'm not sure if that's a five hour argument either of us want to make.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hesitance.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a stupid face.

A few people have said liar, I guess I would agree with that as a quick in general thing. If you are an asshole but I know you are an asshole then I know to avoid you/what to expect of you.
But people who try to cover up their assholeness with lies I have no damn time for.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fredchuckdave

In American Society? Probably having an IQ over 100.

Loading Video...

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really hang with people that aren't funny / have no sense of humor, especially if they think they are and try all the time. That's in no way "THE WORST THING THAT A PERSON COULD BE", but if I'm not reaching for extremes and thinking about stuff I don't like, it's that. If I can't joke with you or I'm cringing all the time because you're unsuccessfully trying to be funny I just don't want to hang with you.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spoonman671

In American Society? Probably having an IQ over 100.

There's also mocking people based on nationality without any sort of provocation. That's a pretty shitty flaw, too.

mageemagoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of humility is my biggest turn off