• 80 results
#1 Edited by benspyda (2050 posts) -

I like to occasionally make a music related post on GB but haven't in a while. We all have a collection of favorite songs that we can listen to over and over and never get sick of, but if you had to pick just one out as your definitive all time favorite song what would it be? Is it by your favorite artist? What genre is it? Why do you like it so much? What would the runners up be?

My answer would have to be Karma Police. I know most Radiohead fans jump straight on the Paranoid Android bandwagon from OK Computer, which is no doubt a great song and the song that got me liking Radiohead, but to me no song hits the pleasure centers of my brain like Karma Police. I really like a song that goes places, aka builds up to something or mixes it up in the second half. Every time the song transitions to the 'second act' after Thom sings "This is what you get when you mess with us", it never fails to give me goosebumps. And yes Radiohead is easily my favorite artist of all time as well.

Runners up: Weird Fishes (Radiohead), Engine Driver (The Decemberists)

#2 Posted by SgtSphynx (1565 posts) -

Not sure I can pinpoint my favorite, but it is definitely one of these three...

Kent - Music Non Stop

Heard a song by them on Alt Nation one day and liked it enough to look into the rest of the album and Music Non Stop quickly became my favorite off of it. I like their Swedish stuff too, but I don't understand Swedish. Pity they don't have any plans on releasing anymore English tracks.

Larry and His Flask - Call It What You Will

Caught these guys live opening for Dropkick Murphys at House of Blues Orlando and instantly became a fan. I now own every single album and have at least one vinyl of each album.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now

It's Queen, 'nuf said.

#3 Posted by PSNgamesun (413 posts) -

That's tough but I'll go with Estranged by guns n roses.

#4 Edited by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

Cowboy Dan.

Edit- No wait I take that back, Jesus and Tequila, er I mean... ummm Sgt Baker...

Fuck this question.

#5 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

@doctorchimp: Any pick your favorite anything is tricky. Although picking my second fav song would be more problematic..

#6 Edited by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

#7 Posted by CaLe (4052 posts) -

There can be no other.

#8 Posted by kagato (958 posts) -

A tout le monde by Megadeth, so much so that i am having it played at my funeral. Maybe a little morbid but its more uplifting than you'd think.

#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

I came in thinking something from Radiohead and 'Street Spirit' and turns out the OP went for Radiohead as well :)

So I'd say either 'Street Spirit' or 'How To Disappear Completely'

#10 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

@kagato: I considered doing the same thing for the same song because it's a pretty positive message about trying to move on when a loved one passes on, and can be a reassuring message that though I'm gone, I loved them all.

#11 Posted by Mister_V (1434 posts) -

Ah that's an easy one

Green Day: minority

#12 Edited by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -
@mister_v said:

Ah that's an easy one

Green Day: minority

Wow wow, sure you don't need some more time to think it over?

#13 Edited by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

That's easy.

#14 Edited by Baillie (4281 posts) -

Wow, green day lol.

#15 Posted by Reale (263 posts) -

Queens of the stone age - Go with the fow

#16 Posted by Elyk247 (371 posts) -

Gold Soundz - Pavement

#17 Edited by UlquioKani (1181 posts) -

Queens of the Stone Age - Misfit Love

#18 Edited by DeadeyeMcCoy (259 posts) -

#19 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2590 posts) -

Man, this thread may get locked soon but my all-time favourite is probably Layla (unplugged) by Eric Clapton

#20 Posted by Molenator85 (235 posts) -

Nas - N.Y. State Of Mind

#21 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

Iron maiden - The Trooper, gallop strumming and guitar harmonization. Kind of an interesting subject choice for the lyrics too.

#22 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

That is an impossible to answer and ridiculous question. There are probably a hundred plus songs that I hold in the highest but equal regard.

#23 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1224 posts) -
#24 Edited by jiggajoe14 (832 posts) -

OutKast's "B.O.B.", Organized Konfusion "Bring It On", The Pharcyde "Passin' Me By", Prince "Earthquake", Above The Law "Black Superman"

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

According to last.fm the song I've listened most to is Alert Status Red by Matthew Good. I suppose that makes sense. Despite being born in 86, almost all of my cultural upbringing was Gen-X as fuck and that remains my outlook on everything.

I also really like Young Americans by David Bowie, Brandy Alexander by Feist and Born Losers by Matthew Good.

#26 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

I can't bore of Dunkelheit. It's a super fun song, really gets the party going. Nah, but it is fantastically atmospheric.

#27 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

Probably Modest Mouse's People As Places As People.

#28 Posted by Aetheldod (3723 posts) -

@forkboy: Oh you teaser ... ^^ its good to know ther is another Burzum fan in these parts. Altho my fav song istn from Burzum .... oh my it is hard , im torn between Blinded by Idolight by Raven Dark , The eternal storm by Vordven , Ashen cold by Summoning , Drive and Knife Party from Deftones.

Will go for Ashen Cold from Summoning ... was the first song I heard after my father´s funeral (of my choosing) and just reminds me a lot of my old man , he was such an awesome duder :(

#29 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (540 posts) -
#30 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1210 posts) -

My usual answer to this question is LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

Sometimes it's other things, but I think that's the one today.

#31 Posted by RandomHero666 (3183 posts) -

@deadeyemccoy: It pleases me to see another Clutch fan, you should check out Zombie Barricades By The Company Band, some amazing guys in t hat group, including Neil so it's very Clutchy.

On topic, I personally cannot choose a single favorite song, so i'll just post what my last.fm account says is most played on spotify

#32 Posted by BeefyGrandmole (355 posts) -

At the moment this is definitely my favourite song

#33 Posted by TheHT (11777 posts) -

Muse - Bliss

#34 Posted by Lava (672 posts) -

American Pie by Don McLean

#35 Posted by TheBluthCompany (422 posts) -

@benspyda: My fave from OK Computer is probably Exit Music (For a Film). Paranoid Android is also excellent. As a Hitchhiker's Guide fan, it took me a depressingly long time to realize the referential title.

#36 Posted by squiDc00kiE (367 posts) -

"Heartilation" by Andrew Jackson Jihad

#37 Posted by BisonHero (7034 posts) -

@sgtsphynx said:

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now

It's Queen, 'nuf said.

Fuck, that's a really good answer.

I could also go with:

Wolfmother - Joker & The Thief

Muse - Knights of Cydonia

Can you tell that I like songs that are basically amazing driving songs?

#38 Posted by Sammo21 (3530 posts) -

"Alive With the Glory of Love" by Say Anything

#39 Posted by Demmetje (203 posts) -

The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

#40 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

Splitting this up into the only 4 categories that make sense:

Song song: Fred Bear by Ted Nugent

90's Nostalgia song: Return of the Mack

Movie song: The entire Tron: Legacy soundtrack

Game song: Dreams of the Shore Near Another World from Chrono Cross

#41 Posted by Stonyman65 (2869 posts) -

Probably this:

#42 Edited by benspyda (2050 posts) -

@razielcuts: Can't go wrong with a Radiohead song. I recently tried making a top 30 songs playlist in itunes, which is real tough btw, and Radiohead ended up taking up a third of the slots ha ha.

#43 Posted by Redbullet685 (6084 posts) -
#44 Posted by GnaTSoL (836 posts) -

PErfect Circle - PAssive

Just exctacy to my ears every time I hear it

#45 Posted by Sprizmo (347 posts) -

Radiohead is my favorite band, but as tempting as it is to go with one of their songs (like Paranoid Android) I have to go instead with a song from the band that showed me the path to music. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd is a perfect song, and has one of the best guitar solos ever so that's my pick.

#46 Posted by ConfusedOwl (965 posts) -

It's hard to pick a number 1 favourite song but the one that I'm really loving right now would be this one.

#47 Edited by Capum15 (4992 posts) -
#48 Posted by razielrioux (129 posts) -

My god..wow..uh... I have to say probably "Sanitarium" by Metallica. That song got me into the melodic side of heavy metal and has influenced my tastes ever since.

#49 Edited by Winsord (1300 posts) -

@yesiamaduck said:

Modest Mouse - Dramanine/Cowboy Dan or of Montreal - The Past is A Grotesque Animal or Red House Painters - Katy's Song or The Czars - Lullaby 6000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Szhd5UVEfs

All of these aside from Lullaby 6000 would be contenders for my top.

I suppose of "all time" thus far it would be Mono's "Black Rain".

Although it's a collection of EPs, Mono's Gone is quite easily my favourite album of all time, and the crappy audio compression on Youtube does not do it justice.

#50 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Welcome Home(Sanitarium) or maybe Battery.

Bohemian Rhapsody too.