#1 Edited by Mezmero (2348 posts) -

When listening to music in our lives it's quite common to get song lyrics stuck in our heads. On rare occasions however, we mishear a word or just gloss over it entirely to revel in the instrumental bliss. So what is that one song that you found out later you had the wrong lyrics in your head and made you feel completely embarrassed?

It's going to be hard to top mine. When I first heard the song Big Poppa by Notorious B.I.G. I thought he was saying, "I love it when you called me David Aqua." I have no clue why I thought I was hearing that. Maybe the audio mix was messed up or maybe I was just too young to perceive the innuendo at play but I later found out he was saying "Big Poppa." You know, the name of the song! To this day I ask myself, "Who the hell is David Aqua? Does he enjoy surfing or water sports? Does he work for a water delivery service or at a carwash? Is he Aquaman's brother?" Questions I may never find answers to.

I can think of a few other times that I've gotten lyrics wrong but that was the one time I felt completely mortified. Rather than mock me with your smarmy internetness, I challenge you to come up with something even more embarrassing to surpass me.

#2 Edited by EuanDewar (5147 posts) -

there's a really bad Dead Weather song where he sings "and all the neighbours get pissed when I" and it sounds mega like "all the ni***s get pissed when I"

#3 Posted by Mezmero (2348 posts) -

@euandewar: Wow that might have me beat. I think it's a lot more embarrassing when it's a more widely known song or group.

#4 Posted by DuskVamp (720 posts) -

Bruno Mars - Marry You, I always used to sing "or is it the dancing Jews?" Later realising its "dancing juice".

#5 Edited by mosespippy (4746 posts) -

The technical term for this phenomenon is Mondegreen.

The one that sticks out in my mind is the Jimmy Hendrix song Voodoo Child. I thought it was Voodoo Chili.

#6 Posted by myketuna (1784 posts) -

I don't really have an embarrassing one. I just usually don't know some of the words, so I'll mumble something out along with other people. Thankfully, most people I've been with only sing along when they have a song blasting and I only sing along when others do. I've only been caught with my mumbles a couple times and then I just explain, "Well, I don't know what the hell it is, so I'm trying to listen to you guys."

#7 Posted by HatKing (6448 posts) -

" YOU NEED KOOL-AID..."

Loading Video...

Obviously, I always knew that's not the lyric, but it does sound like it. And honestly, I kind of prefer it that way.

#8 Posted by kre8havoc (192 posts) -

Pretty much all the words to Rock the Casbah. But in my defense that guy sounds like he's having a stroke while singing that song anyway.

#9 Edited by Thrillhouse87 (273 posts) -
Loading Video...

even though so far away is the DAMN NAME OF THE SONG, I cant help but hearing "your sofa away from me."

#10 Posted by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

My worst is the "I'm your Venus/I'm your Penis" one, which isn't nearly so bad.

My friend's is way worse, which is the following:

"CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT
SUFFOCATION, NO BREATHING

DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF I'M CUMMING OR BREATHING"

He thought it was a song about auto-erotic asphyxiation.

#11 Posted by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

My worst is the "I'm your Venus/I'm your Penis" one, which isn't nearly so bad.

My friend's is way worse, which is the following:

"CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES
THIS IS MY LAST RESORT
SUFFOCATION, NO BREATHING

DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF I'M CUMMING OR BREATHING"

He thought it was a song about auto-erotic asphyxiation.

#12 Edited by leinad44 (559 posts) -

Not so bad, but I still chuckle that I went years not noticing I heard it wrong until a friend pointed it out.

Viking Skull - Beer, Drugs and Bitches

'Give me the beer'

'Give me the bitches'

'Give me the drugs'

'Let me trip out on your lawn'

Its actually 'Let me trip out on your love'. I like my version more.

#13 Posted by Arbie (1480 posts) -
@duskvamp said:

Bruno Mars - Marry You, I always used to sing "or is it the dancing Jews?" Later realising its "dancing juice".

Damnit I didn't even realise I was getting that wrong until your post! I'm just gonna go die of shame in that there corner...

#15 Edited by Mezmero (2348 posts) -

@hatking said:

" YOU NEED KOOL-AID..."

Obviously, I always knew that's not the lyric, but it does sound like it. And honestly, I kind of prefer it that way.

I can't not hear it now. Now I need Kool-Aid. You are a monster.

@kre8havoc said:

Pretty much all the words to Rock the Casbah. But in my defense that guy sounds like he's having a stroke while singing that song anyway.

There are lyrics in that song? Could have fooled me.

@thrillhouse87 said:

even though so far away is the DAMN NAME OF THE SONG, I cant help but hearing "your sofa away from me."

That doesn't seem so bad. Sounds like an afternoon nap to me. "Hey John, mind if I crash on your couch?" "By all means, sofa away."

#16 Posted by DuskVamp (720 posts) -

@arbie: I'll meet you over there!

#17 Edited by Omega (875 posts) -

I still don't know if Stevie Nicks has a white winged dove, a wild winged dove or a one winged dove.

#18 Posted by wjb (1759 posts) -

When I was little:

"There's a bathroom on the right."

#19 Posted by SpaceRunaway (891 posts) -

This isn't really embarrassing, but I had thought for years that in the C.C.R. song Down on the Corner, the line, "Willy goes into a dance and doubles on kazoo", was "Willy goes into a dance; the devil's on the loose", which I think is a much more evocative line. I spent a lot of time as a kid marveling at the imagery in that line...

#20 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2527 posts) -

Thanks to EMI, I can't embed EPMD's "I'm Housin", but for a long time I heard

So I stepped back/And unbuttoned my Lee denim

as

So I stepped back/And I bought my late dinner

Hypothetically embarrassing if I had actually sung it that way, but I didn't. I just think it's funny.

#21 Posted by Quarters (2104 posts) -

"Blinded by the Light" still sounds like "Wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night" for me.

#22 Edited by JJWeatherman (14797 posts) -

The technical term for this phenomenon is Mondegreen.

The one that sticks out in my mind is the Jimmy Hendrix song Voodoo Child. I thought it was Voodoo Chili.

Maybe you were just listening to Voodoo Chile.

On a related note, a great Pearl Jam moment.

#23 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (4218 posts) -

@quarters said:

"Blinded by the Light" still sounds like "Wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night" for me.

I was waiting for that one to show up. The actual lyric is "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." It refers to a deuce coupe, which is a type of car.

#24 Posted by Quarters (2104 posts) -

@quarters said:

I was waiting for that one to show up. The actual lyric is "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." It refers to a deuce coupe, which is a type of car.

The sad part is that I know what the correct lyric is, I just can't unhear the wrong one.