• 115 results
#1 Edited by GiveUpNed (218 posts) -

I used to think Game Informer was a rubbish PR rag, until I actually read it. It is well written and has interesting reviews. I thought it was biased, then I saw that GI refuses publisher perks and fly's it's own staff out to events.

I'm still on the fence about the magazine, but it seems they have some standard of journalistic integrity. I see magazines as the source for information and writing you can't get anywhere else (A measured breath of fresh air in the video game world). I read gaming magazines such as Edge, Retro Gamer and GamesTM.

What is your opinion of the magazine?

Edit: Spelling and Grammar.

#2 Posted by zeppelinracer (47 posts) -

I like them. They're honest reporters from what I've heard.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Don't read the mag, but their incredible coverage of games like Skyrim, Dead Space 2 and Battlefield 3 made me visit their website a lot in the first half of 2011. 
I don't go there anymore though, so I dunno.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (12976 posts) -

I like 'em. Their a bloody print magazine, but they still manage to get the first looks at games I'm genuinely interested in, like Darksiders II and Assassin's Creed: Revelation. 

#5 Edited by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

I've been a subscriber since 2007 but I don't think I'm going to renew. The monthly cycle means a lot of their reviews and news stories are often late, which obviously isn't their fault but I get all of that stuff instantly on the Internet.

Also, some of their reviews in the past have been flat out incorrect in certain aspects (like the Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit review where they said there was absolutely no rubber banding in the single player >_>)

Everything else about the magazine is great but I just don't have much use for it anymore. Also, I've kept every issue since 2007 and the box of Game Informers I have is overwhelmingly heavy. Eventually I'm gonna need a truck for them. I don't want a truck for them.

#6 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

I love the covers, but I rarely find myself interested in reading it. I've got a stack to work my way through.

#7 Edited by Zacagawea (1569 posts) -

Love 'em. Been subscribed to their magazine for a long ass time, listen to their podcast every week, and visit their site every once in a while. They've never given a review that I've disagreed with or failed to have great coverage. Some of the crew there are pretty stale though, but whatever.

#8 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

I like them. There was a bit of time where I just let my subscription drop, but as soon as I heard they were covering Borderlands 2 a couple months ago I resubscribed for their digital issue. Probably won't renew unless something changes, but I do enjoy their articles.

#9 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

While I've never really read too much of GI, I very much like Dan Ryckert. And don't even start me on how awesome his dad is.

#10 Posted by DriveupLife (896 posts) -

They are owned by Gamestop so they SUCK A BAG OF DICKS AND SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO FUCKING EXIST.

/sarcasm

#11 Posted by DillonWerner (1521 posts) -

I like them, they're pretty funny guys.

#12 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I like to browse the magazine whenever i'm at gamestop, but I wouldn't buy it ; reading paper things is so 2007.
#13 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I enjoy it. I like their exclusives and they do decent preview coverage. Also their covers are awesome.

#14 Posted by Andorski (5110 posts) -

Obsolete way to deliver game coverage.

#15 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

I think they're pretty good. When it comes to reviews, I don't trust them for quality taste, just for "opinion that differs from my own." That said, they're one of the few people who were nicely harsh to Magicka, a game I enjoyed but was not very good.

#16 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Great magazine. Great articles and I really like their Q&A with people in the business.

#17 Posted by CounterShock (419 posts) -

I've had like 3 different free subscriptions over the past five years, and I usually just skim through them and then never read them.

#18 Posted by dancingpolkabear (191 posts) -

For a video game magazine, they're very good.

#19 Posted by SMTDante89 (2474 posts) -

I like the exclusive stories and sometimes there are pretty interesting things in there. And I rarely get any actual mail, so it's kind of special when a new Game Informer shows up in my mailbox.

#20 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

I used to really look forward to the day of the month the magazine came, but no really anymore. It's the same that happened to me with Nintendo Power, the magazine used to be funny and unique, but then they tried to tame it up and be presentable, and in turn made thief magazine not nearly as fun to read. The situation with GI isn't nearly as bad as Nintendo Power, who simply became a waste of paper, but the principle remains nonetheless.

#21 Posted by GiveUpNed (218 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

I used to really look forward to the day of the month the magazine came, but no really anymore. It's the same that happened to me with Nintendo Power, the magazine used to be funny and unique, but then they tried to tame it up and be presentable, and in turn made thief magazine not nearly as fun to read. The situation with GI isn't nearly as bad as Nintendo Power, who simply became a waste of paper, but the principle remains nonetheless.

Game Informer recently went through a website and magazine redesign. The revamped website got a "People's Voice Winner" Webby.

#22 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

it's an alright magazine. i read my friend's issue from time to time. i kind of think their biased because they are own by gamestop. o well on that.

#23 Posted by Hostile (148 posts) -

I still don't particularly enjoy most of their writers and it's no 1UP/EGM/CGW/GFW but since the magazine has started putting up awesome covers and I found the price too cheap to resist ($5-$6 a year has me re-up to 2014), I'm surprisingly enjoying the magazine. Their cover stories are pretty awesome.

#24 Posted by Teptom (2045 posts) -

I really dig the staff they have over there. Earlier this year, I started watching their Replays and it soon became part of my normal Saturday morning. Their reviews aren't too bad either.

@buzz_clik: He is pretty great.

#25 Posted by GiveUpNed (218 posts) -

@Catastro said:

I really dig the staff they have over there. Earlier this year, I started watching their Replays and it soon became part of my normal Saturday morning. Their reviews aren't too bad either.

@buzz_clik: He is pretty great.

That article is great. Thanks for sharing.

#26 Posted by advocatefish (355 posts) -

Only ever you used it for the previews and the small "numbers" article where they say for example "1 billion dollars is how much sony lost last year" ect. Always disliked the reviews. They seemed sugar coated to not offend anyone that might use the magazine for advertisement. It just always reflected the empty video game shell IGN is.

EGM on the other hand I would eat up. I'd be done with the entire magazine in two or three days. I read every article because it felt like they were written by people who enjoy playing video games and want to share their experience with others, not someone trying to sell me on the game.

I read neither today because simply put I have Giant Bomb now.

#27 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Simple, but it gets the job done. Pretty good bathroom reading.

#28 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2048 posts) -

The covers post-redesign are usually insanely beautiful, so they have that going for them.

#29 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

It is a magazine publication that I don't pay attention to.

#30 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

While I've never really read too much of GI, I very much like Dan Ryckert. And don't even start me on how awesome his dad is.

His dad is the best person alive.

There weekend content it awesome with replays and super replays. their website is a lot better than the magazine

#31 Posted by Zelyre (983 posts) -

Haven't really looked at one for years. I stopped subscribing for a few reasons.

1.) I've seen most internet forums posters use "their/they're/there" "were/where/we're" more accurately than in the last few months I was subscribing. They're "journalists", not bloggers or posters. It grinds my gears when the later two get em mixed up, but when you're getting paid to write for a magazine that also has editors, and those sort of mistakes come through, I have a big issue with that.

2.) I never cared much for any of the articles, reviews, or previews. It seemed to follow the 7-10 scale and previews read like an advetorial.

3.) I get more PC gaming coverage from my 96 year old grandmother.

4.) Compared to EGM/CGW, GI was like reading a Mary Kay catalog.

5.) I never wanted it, but it came with my Edge ®© card. Since I stopped buying console games at retail in favor of Amazon, I have no reason for an Edge ®© card.

6.) Giant Bomb.

#32 Posted by ArcLyte (869 posts) -

GI was a MUCH better mag back in the day, their writing staff was very funny, making attempts at connecting with the reader on a personal level, similar to the way things are run at giantbomb.

#33 Posted by GiveUpNed (218 posts) -

@ArcLyte said:

GI was a MUCH better mag back in the day, their writing staff was very funny, making attempts at connecting with the reader on a personal level, similar to the way things are run at giantbomb.

From what I see, they still do. The site has been revamped with a lot of video content, editor blogs and user feedback.

#34 Posted by TheInsider (50 posts) -

I like their news updates on the website. For some reason they are always relevant to my interests

#35 Edited by Toxin066 (3197 posts) -

My biggest complaint is the writing style. I don't know if it's one or many dudes who do this, but during their previews they tend to write as if they're telling a story and explain every little thing that happens in their time with the game, almost to the point of spoiling certain elements. It's a recent change, and it's not one of I'm fond of.

But for the most part, I'm in favor of Game Informer.

I love reading Andy McNamara's editor column at the very beginning of the mag. I think he's the Adam Sessler of GI.

#36 Posted by BoringK (246 posts) -

I got suckered into a Gamestop Whatever-The-Hell-It's-Called-Now Rewards membership summer of last year, so I got GI up to around the middle of this year and I never bothered renewing. I flipped through them a little bit, and it didn't seem as awful as I would've thought, but I barely looked at them. Print magazines are just so irrelevant anymore; even when GI had an exclusive reveal, websites were reporting on it before anyone actually had the magazine. Nice covers though. Almost made me feel bad to throw them away.

#37 Posted by MikNuggetz (21 posts) -

Honestly, I hate it.

I mean, RE5 got a 9.75. That really just sickens me.

#38 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

They're okay. I can find the same game information online for free, though.

#39 Edited by GiveUpNed (218 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

My biggest complaint is the writing style. I don't know if it's one or many dudes who do this, but during their previews they tend to write as if they're telling a story and explain every little thing that happens in their time with the game, almost to the point of spoiling certain elements. It's a recent change, and it's not one of I'm fond of.

It's called literary journalism. I'm a sports reporter and I'm told to make people care about the players and the story I'm telling. When you say, "It was heartbreaking to see the Jets lose their opening game supported by a home crowd" It has to mean something. Why should people care or be upset that the Jets lost in New York?

#40 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

I like it.

#41 Posted by probablytuna (3445 posts) -

I started buying their issues cause of the Dragon Age 2 cover art. It's got some pretty interesting articles and generally pretty good content.

#42 Posted by Fizzy (384 posts) -

I like them, their previews and reviews are pretty interesting. Although, they seem kind of lenient in some cases.

#43 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

It's a magazine, so I avoid it. What's the point of reading old news?

#44 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

I've had subscriptions to it on and off over the last three years or so. It's a good enough magazine, but I'm not into games nearly as much as I used to be.

#45 Posted by cabelhigh (239 posts) -

I liked their exclusives, but I think no matter what there reviews are still skewed. They use far too many 7s in describing 6 or 5 level games. Just go read their X Men: Destiny review; they were definitely more harsh than the score they gave.

#46 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

I just visited the site for first time :P

#47 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

They easily have the best art design/layouts of any magazine out there - it always looks very professional. Not very familiar with their online coverage.

#48 Posted by BatmanReturned (49 posts) -

They're a pretty good print mag. They've only managed to stay in print thanks to Game Stop but they're website is just as good and has a lot more timely articles and interesting video content. Like going back and just beating random old games for no reason. Their podcast is pretty good too. They get a bad rap being owned by GS but that seems to just afford them more opportunities and an existence in print thanks to being bundled with the rewards card.

#49 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

It's great! I honestly love GI, but i always skim the reviews because i've more than likely read hundreds of reviews over the internet days before the mag even came out.

#50 Posted by awe_stuck (800 posts) -

@GiveUpNed said:

I used to think Game Informer was a rubbish PR rag, until I actually read it. It is well written and has interesting reviews. I thought it was biased, then I saw that GI refuses publisher perks and fly's it's own staff out to events.

I'm still on the fence about the magazine, but it seems they have some standard of journalistic integrity. I see magazines as the source for information and writing you can't get anywhere else (A measured breath of fresh air in the video game world). I read gaming magazines such as Edge, Retro Gamer and GamesTM.

What is your opinion of the magazine?

Edit: Spelling and Grammar.

It blows.

I only like PC Gamer. I am old sure, but PC Gamer has always been top quality (26). Either way. Game Informer is still better then EGM and Lamepro.