What I've learned from art class!!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Edited By Tireyo

Well, I'm taking an art class this semester, as some may already know. I would like to show my homework assignments that I have had to do for art class with you good people of Giantbomb!! First, here is an art blog that I have made last year. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/self-taught-drawings-clock-and-lantern-update/238205/

Through this new art class that I am taking, I believe that my skills in art have improved. I believe that it’s because of the nice stuff that I bought specifically for the class!! Or perhaps it’s because of a knowledgeable art professor. = - P It's mostly the professor telling me how to use the drawing instruments.

No Caption Provided

I mainly work with different types of graphite, charcoal, pastels, and colored pencils. The professor mainly wants everyone to draw household objects, and other miscellaneous decorative items, and so it’s what I do! I draw on a 18" X 24" (45.7 X 61 cm) drawing pad.

Well, here’s my artwork! Please note that on two of the drawings, I’ve blotched out my real name. Everyone should know that “Tyler York” is just an alias that I respond to. Also, there was one experiment that I've done just to test out and mix the pastel colors, and it's the landscape picture.

Hope you all liked and see the improvement in the way I draw. Please leave comments and such. Until next time Giantbomb!! 

Tyler York

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tireyo

Well, I'm taking an art class this semester, as some may already know. I would like to show my homework assignments that I have had to do for art class with you good people of Giantbomb!! First, here is an art blog that I have made last year. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/self-taught-drawings-clock-and-lantern-update/238205/

Through this new art class that I am taking, I believe that my skills in art have improved. I believe that it’s because of the nice stuff that I bought specifically for the class!! Or perhaps it’s because of a knowledgeable art professor. = - P It's mostly the professor telling me how to use the drawing instruments.

No Caption Provided

I mainly work with different types of graphite, charcoal, pastels, and colored pencils. The professor mainly wants everyone to draw household objects, and other miscellaneous decorative items, and so it’s what I do! I draw on a 18" X 24" (45.7 X 61 cm) drawing pad.

Well, here’s my artwork! Please note that on two of the drawings, I’ve blotched out my real name. Everyone should know that “Tyler York” is just an alias that I respond to. Also, there was one experiment that I've done just to test out and mix the pastel colors, and it's the landscape picture.

Hope you all liked and see the improvement in the way I draw. Please leave comments and such. Until next time Giantbomb!! 

Tyler York

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I like the island one the best, it feels right.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ben99

yeah that's good I guess . 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread
@KaosAngel said:

" I like the island one the best, it feels right. "

KaosAngel said what I think. 

I also like some of the gradients used in the picture of the yellow vase. I'm also drawn to the black and white drawing because the bright orange pumpkin draws the eye, even though there is an issue with perspective.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I DIDNT WASTE MY MONEY AND SWEAT ON YOU TO GROW UP TO BE AN ARTSY FAG, SON ! 
SO DISAPPOINT RIGHT MEOW. 

nice stable drawings, bro. iLike

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Interesting choice of colors used for some of your work. I dig.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pezen

Avoid lines whenever possible, use shaded colors instead. And if something is black, give it some life with gray or even white highlights instead of making it pure black because that makes it look flat. Kind of like how you've given depth to the colored objects, you should do with the black stuff. When you get the shading right, it's on the right track. And unlike the other people, I don't like the island at all. I like your colored 'eggs' or whatever in the last two pictures, those two and the third picture is also quite colorful (even though you're line-killing that milk canister). 

Keep it up!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By luce

Apparently I've been looking forward to this. Today must be my lucky day

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Contro
@Tireyo643:  

I like No5, it has a naive Cezanne like quality. Still life's are landscapes for the mind to mingle within, they are not meant to feel dull and void of life, unless that is a clear intention of the artist. Still life should aim to highlight relationships of form, texture and colour between certain objects, your work doesn't focus on any of these things well. But you shouldn't let any of that put you off, what's really important is that you keep practising, learning and understanding more about art through it's history and the great works of others. Anything concerning materials and techniques artists use, can be learn't in a simple book, or a simple art teacher. 

My advice is to stop smudging your work, it just looks bad (it takes skill to smudge well), you lose tonal quality making everything look dull and bland, instead you should learn to shade properly, using the many techniques available to you in all drawing mediums. All your mark making looks the same - uninteresting, a lack of variation in texture isn't as pleasing to the human eye. I highly recommend you look at someone like Albrecht Durer's work, in drawing, to see the wide range of techniques he uses, while using Silverpoint (like pencil, but far harder to use than pencil). I would also get a book on drawing in 3D perspective - your work is very flat. The viewer should be able to feel the space between the objects, and the space that surrounds them, they should not feel like all the objects are on the same 2D plane.  

I suggest you look at some Dutch still-life's from the 1500's, their artists created some of the best works in the genre. Keep your head up and keep drawing, and most importantly keep looking and analysing / copying the work of others, in doing so you learn and improve.     
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
@CaLe said:
" I don't think it looks good and I'm deadly serious. I'm comparing you to the best out there and I'm being super harsh, this is pure shit. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or destroy your dreams and I'm not trolling. I seen an art video by a guy working at Bethesda and that looked good, this doesn't and I'm not gonna pretend like it does, so there. "
Why would you compare a beginner to "the best" in any situation? They'll never compare no matter the subject. What's the point?
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By ReyGitano
@Tireyo643: Ah, this reminds me of when I was in art class in High School. We had to draw a vase of flowers that where in the middle of the classroom. My drawing was the best of the bunch, as everyone agreed. Unfortunately since the vase was moved on a daily basis, and i didn't want to bother to figure how what angle I was at when I started drawing, the arrangement in my picture was nowhere near the actual arrangement in the vase.
canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By canucks23
@CaLe said:
" @JJWeatherman:  Because I am cold a bitter. I'm lucky I'll probably never have any kids as I'd make them feel terrible and want to die. Deadly serious here. "
Well... ok. Great outlook on life you have there.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

I have a confession to make.. I CAN'T DRAW BOOBS! No matter how many art classes I took, tutorial videos I have watched or how often I have tried I can not draw them. I have no clue why. Back when I still drew I could draw a great picture of a lady, but the boobs always looked off and ruined the whole thing.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tireyo
@KaosAngel: Yeah, I like the island too. 

@Ben99: thanks, i think... 

@MonetaryDread: I'm legally blind, so I think that I have to work extra hard on getting the perspective just right. Thanks! 

@Ahmad_Metallic: Glad you like them. 

@rudeboy217: The two drawings that are the same picture was actually warm and cool color assignments. The one with the milk jug and the flowers was a complimentary color assignment. (The brown and black was a mistake, but it works.) So the story behind the colors was a reason! 

@Pezen: I'm pretty bad when it comes to lines. = - P However, I'm working on it!! Thank you for your perspective.  

@luce: I guess it is!! 

@Contro: Yeah, Cezanne is a really good artist. I seen some of his works, and I realize that much of what I'm doing is like what he does. Thank you very much for the encouragement and advice. (Especially about the smudging.) 

@CaLe: My dream isn't to become a successful artist. It's to be a successful business man. It's alright if you don't like. Just keep in mind that I'm just a beginner, and I'm legally blind. (It's a little harder for me to draw, and it takes longer.) Each drawing takes about 4-6 hours for me to do. 

@JJWeatherman: It's alright Mr. JJWeatherman. = - ) I was prepared for reading such. 

Again, thank you all for your constructive criticisms, comments, or such. I appreciate it. = - ) (Constructive criticism is pretty much what I need to do better, and it's healthy and good!!) 
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

the dead tree island with the moon is super awesome

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Tireyo643:  your REPLY TO ALL posts scare me
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tireyo
@SlashseveN303: I think that if I took high school art, I would do better with college art. But I'm just glad the main focus is personal improvement, so I'm passing the art class since I'm improving. 

@CaLe: Why are you so cold and bitter for? No need to be!! Life is too short to be that way. 

@crusader8463: You can draw boobs. = - P You just got to practice more on making them look more real. lol.
CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CaLe
@Tireyo643:  That is like me asking you, why be so blind? Life is too short, you should just see well, like me! I can't change that which is a deep, biological, part of me.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tireyo
@RedEyesBlueBunny: Thanks! 

@Ahmad_Metallic: I want to reply. That way people will know that I've acknowledge them and read what they had to say to me. =-) 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

I feel like a lonely tree on an island. So, that's my favorite. I liked the last two also.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tireyo
@CaLe: Let's drop this conversation. Forget that I ever asked. I foresee a problem arising, and it's just best to stop right now. 

Sorry to hear that you didn't like my drawings.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tireyo
@Claude: Thank you Claude. = - ) 
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By SMTDante89

Far better than anything I could ever do.  And I really like them too.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kjellm87

I like the far right one, so clean colors.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

i like them. i think you should color, shade, all in the same direction. you get those weird lines a lot of times. you should also use i don't know what they are called but it's white and you make shades with them. it's like a hard piece of rolled up paper with a point. 

get any ladies from art classes? i noticed that when i took art classes there were a lot of hot girls in that class.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tireyo
@SMTDante89: Thank you. 

@Kjellm87: I like how the far right one turned out too. Better than the one beside it. 

@iam3green: Lol. Do you mean a blending stump or blending stick? If so, I do have those. 2 in that blue bag, and one in that drawing kit. They can be seen in the picture. I also have what some call a shammy, which is pretty much a piece of cloth. I can do ok with the shammy and blending stump (perhaps not like I honestly need to) when it comes to black and white drawings, but I'm very hesitant and nervous to use it on color. It doesn't really work in the way I want it to. Guess I need to really experiment with it when I can. 

Yes, there are girls in the class. They are pretty nice and good looking. Far too out of my league though.
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Dylabaloo

If Tyler York really is your name, then you are a lucky man.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By papercut

Ya gotta turn that form duder!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper

Good drawings man. Get in there, practice and blow it up :) It looks like you got some nice new pencils and stuff so get busy and wear those down.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Tireyo643: Dare i ask how old are you?
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Cirdain

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
SEE THE SHEER POWER OF ME AT 5-6!! WONDER AND STARE IN AMAZEMENT AT MY GRACE!!!!!
Yeah back when Pokemon were good.
 good times. Now I'm 16 and I cand do a hyper-accurate pencil drawing that looks real to some :D
Practice makes perfect, many many many hours of practice. Get an music player to stop you from killing yourself. It helped me.....
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#32  Edited By Sin4profit
@Tireyo643: If you study the science of perspective it can greatly help your work.  
Also studying photographic composition (rule of thirds, depth perspective) and lighting. 
Also for a fun and good cerebral look at illustrative design i recommend Understanding Comics by Scott Mccloud.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dbz1995
@Cirdain:  That was when you were 6? Wow. Those are really good. 
 As are the ones shown by OP. They're really good at what they are.
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cirdain
@dbz1995: yeah

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Yeah... Yeah..... 
And that was when I was 6, I've gotten more and more mentally insane as the years go on. It's pretty awesome.

...../dance
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Jeust

The drawings look good! :)

arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By arkkazeal

I totally have a big metal milk can like that in my house... 
As for constructive criticism, emphasis on lighting and shadows creates more depth to an object so it might help to push them further to make objects less flat and solid coloured. 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tireyo
@Dylabaloo: Unfortunately it isn't. 

@papercut: Uh.... ok! 

@Scooper: Yeah definitely. I think the pastels will go before anything else, and I didn't even have the pastels that long. 

@TheDudeOfGaming: Good thing I'm not a girl, because you know the ol' rule right? Never ask a woman her age or her weight. = - P Luckily for you, I'm not a woman. Haha. I'm 22 sir. 

@Cirdain: I have a zune and an ipod in my iphone to keep me busy. = - P I like to listen to music when drawing. Funny drawings!! 

@Sin4profit: Thanks! I'll look at that. 

@Jeust: Thanks! 

@Arkkazeal: That milk can isn't mine. = - P It's the colleges property. 
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cirdain
@Tireyo643:  I've had and art exam today and tomorrow.
And let me be the first to tell you that Robert Rauchenburg is crap. So in my art exam he is my main artisit and I'm using a bunch of secondary ish artists to produce something that looks better than the crap he makes.
It seems to be going well... oh and I'm doing 4 or 6 of them. I'm thinking 6.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azteck

Oh god I thought your name was Taylor York first and I just kind of had to do a double-take to check if it really was.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cirdain
@Tireyo643: oh and I think chalk pastels suxz major ballz. Unless you want something that acts like charcol then fine. or powder. or to makes your hand many colours. Still sucks balls.

@Arkkazeal

said:

" I totally have a big metal milk can like that in my house... As for constructive criticism, emphasis on lighting and shadows creates more depth to an object so it might help to push them further to make objects less flat and solid coloured.  "

constructive critism.... be very very precise. Me and this other girl were drawing a glass bottle and we took turns in keeping still because when we moved the colours and shadows changed how the glass looked because of general reflections and the refraction of light through the glass.
Oh and you could have some shadows.
The shading of the object with the materials your using shouldn't be too much of a problem, but being able to create the exact texture of the object would be very difficult if your using the powdery materials that suck. I suggest doing a complex test piece (like the indivdual fibers of a rope) and spray some sort of spray to...  um.. it does somin' but I forget what. I think it's hairspray that can stop the particles flying and smugging everywhere.
Wait for the hairspray to do it's work then use a set of obsessively sharp colour pencils and  depending on how obssesively precise you want it to be work into the grain of the fibre or the fibre itself.

Oh and nearly everything has a shadow. Even plain white paper that is on top of an even bigger white paper will still have a visible shadow at most angles.

Did this in my early 14's. Some sort of whittle jet engine.
 Did this in my early 14's. Some sort of whittle jet engine.
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Twisted_Scot
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" I DIDNT WASTE MY MONEY AND SWEAT ON YOU TO GROW UP TO BE AN ARTSY FAG, SON ! SO DISAPPOINT RIGHT MEOW. "
Dammit Dad dont do this to me in public again!

But yeah I like em. Good Job.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Xeiphyer
@crusader8463 said:
" I have a confession to make.. I CAN'T DRAW BOOBS! No matter how many art classes I took, tutorial videos I have watched or how often I have tried I can not draw them. I have no clue why. Back when I still drew I could draw a great picture of a lady, but the boobs always looked off and ruined the whole thing. "
Here I'll help you:    (  .  Y  .  )

That's not so hard!
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tireyo
@Cirdain: Good to hear that you are doing good on that.  

Also, Nice job on the engine. 

@Azteck: I've gotten responses like that from others. Luckily, I can tell you that both Taylor York, and Tyler York isn't my real name at all. Tyler York is just an alias that I go by that I made up. 

@Twisted_Scot: Thanks.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deusx

It makes me really happy to see people so excited about showing their own drawings (I want to be an art teacher soon). I do not know if you are into this kind of thing but you should visit these websites: conceptart.org, abduzeedo.com and benhance.net, Those are Design websites but I think you may find some inspiration in them. Also, check out Burne Hogarth and Andrew Loomis books. You may learn a lot of stuff from them.  

Cirdain: Nice drawing I really like it. As a friendly advice, you should sharpen your pencils or use harder ones. By the way the drawing looks, you used something from B2 - B8... Or I may be wrong and its just the quality of the image. :D 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tireyo
@Deusx: I love to visit DeviantART from time to time. I love to look at the different types of drawings whether it's photography, pencil, color and whatnot. 
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Example1013
@Ahmad_Metallic: Super Troopers?
cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers