• 94 results
Edited 11 months, 25 days ago

What kind of area do you live in? (387 votes)

Urban 27%
Suburban 53%
Rural 13%
Other 5%
Show Results 1%

What kind of area do you guys / girls live in? I currently live in a pretty rural section of NC.

#1 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2149 posts) -

I live in a suburban town about an houraway from San Francisco

#2 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

Suburban I guess, but the term doesn't really apply to a lot of places in Australia. The American concept of suburbia is sort of new here.

#3 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@inkerman:Suburban for me just means living in or near a modest town or something, where you don't really live in a rural area but you're not in a big city either.

#4 Edited by Stonyman65 (2404 posts) -

I live in the suburbs, but they are only about 5 minutes away from the city so it'd kind of hard to distinguish the two sometimes since we are so close.

If anyone has ever been to Jacksonville FL, they know what I mean.

#5 Posted by mosespippy (3729 posts) -

Right now I'm back and forth between urban and rural, depending on if I'm working or in school.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (2871 posts) -

Suburbs all the way

#7 Edited by believer258 (11035 posts) -

I also live in a rural section of NC. Not terribly rural - I don't live in Bumfuck Egypt - but I wouldn't exactly call it a bustling population center.

#8 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Frost plains.

I live in Winnipeg. City of 700,000 but it's pretty spread out. So I suppose urban. I don't live in the rich people part of town. I live in the lower middle class Filipino part of town.

#9 Posted by LackingSaint (1691 posts) -

I live in a very built-up area just outside of London, so urban. At this point it feels almost cosy to be surrounded by so many people; I feel like i'd be vulnerable if I was like an hour out from a town centre.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (20542 posts) -

A council estate, AKA a dumping ground for chavs and dolites. Though the one I'm at, Woodchurch, is actually pretty OK all things considered. Surprisingly quiet overall and it's like a haven compared to some of others out there on the Wirral.

#11 Edited by Nivash (239 posts) -

Urban. Smack down in the middle of Gothenburg, Sweden.

#12 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

Urban I suppose.

#13 Edited by Gargantuan (1877 posts) -

I live in a village near Luleå, Sweden

#14 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

I live in a suburban town at the moment. However, in four months I will be moving to an urban area.

#15 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

I live in a 150k city. So what does that make it?

#16 Edited by Beerczar (5 posts) -

I live in the county surrounding St. Louis Missouri. I guess that would make me suburban but I think all of St. Louis is a giant suburb. The population of St. Louis proper is only 300K but the suburbs has a population of 3 Million.

#17 Edited by Danteveli (1081 posts) -

About 30 minutes from the center of Beijing so its pretty urban in my opinion.

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

Urban.

We got a mall. Or like 5, and a Microsoft Store. Mapple.

#19 Edited by Cathryn (540 posts) -

Suburban, I guess. I live in a town of about 100,000 people in Alberta, Canada, though I'm originally from Vancouver.

#20 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -
#21 Edited by Hamst3r (4342 posts) -

Suburban as hell.

#22 Edited by Ben_H (3199 posts) -

THE HOOD

I live on the east side of the city I am located in (not a big city. 300000 people), right on the edge of a very poor area (literally 2 blocks south is where it begins). I went to one of the poorest schools in the city (I'm glad I did. I got to meet a lot of cool people, even if some of them are now gang-affiliated or professional "mind expanders" hahaha).

About a 10 minute drive past where I live is where the suburban crap starts with all the "towns" (they aren't towns but they have the signs and try and act like they are). We used to live on the extreme edge of the city (I technically live in a town that was long ago, like 50 years ago, swallowed up by the city after they expanded past the local university), with only a few houses and the zoo out past us but now there are like 5 different massive suburbs being built out in that area. I really don't like those areas. They're so boring and don't look right compared to the rest of the city. All these boring brown houses that are all exactly the same and waaaaay too expensive.

Luckily I am about a 5 minute commute from the university if I drive or take the bus, and around 30 minutes if I walk. Certainly can't complain. I really like my area even with the crime issues.

#23 Posted by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -

Urban and not particularly happy about it. I would like to move a little further out of the city.

#24 Posted by Kidavenger (3379 posts) -

Grew up rural, in the suburbs right on the edge of urban areas, can't wait to get back out to the sticks.

#25 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I live in a small town outside of Akron, OH. I kind of like it since not much goes on around here.

#26 Edited by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

Other: semi-rural college town.

It's not suburban, but it's also not entirely rural. The university (around which the entire surrounding area revolves) is mostly known for its agricultural, fishery, forestry, and poultry science programs. It also has a pretty huge vet school, which I'm pretty sure specializes in large animal and food production.

Edit: Given the choice, I'd like to live in or outside of a major city. I have 5 animals, though, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to live in a city with that many pets. Plus, it kind of depends on where my wife and I are able to land jobs once we're out of grad school.

#27 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Thug living from paycheck to paycheck in Compton.

#28 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -

I live in a house.

#29 Edited by Donkeycow (550 posts) -

I put urban but i could probably have also said suburban. I live in Toronto, by and far the largest city in Canada, but i live in a relatively quiet residential neighborhood a fair distance from the hustle and bustle of downtown.

#30 Edited by blueneurosis (82 posts) -

West Harlem, near the Hudson river. It's nice...when I can afford it.

#31 Posted by Scrawnto (2406 posts) -

Suburban born and raised (Davis, OKC, Lodi, Stockton). I live in an apartment complex in Madison these days, but it's about a half hour from the small part of Madison that could be considered urban. My dad lives somewhere that is borderline rural near orchards and vineyards these days, but I've only spent a few summers in that house.

#32 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

@oscar__explosion said:

I live in a suburban town about an houraway from San Francisco

Much the same but add another hour.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (34580 posts) -

A regal section.

#34 Posted by fisk0 (3269 posts) -

The outer northwestern suburbs of Stockholm, in a row of apartment buildings from the early 50's, around 40 minutes train ride from the city.

By international standards, Stockholm is a pretty minor city for a capital though, with around 2 million people living in the entire metropolitan area, and about 60k in my district.

Actually, checking what they define my area as, it turns out to be a bit unclear on whether it's a suburb or part of the city's urban area. So I guess I don't really know what I should vote on.

Västerort (sometimes translated to West Stockholm) is the western part of Stockholm Municipality in Stockholm County, Sweden. It also forms part of Stockholm urban area and of Stockholm Metropolitan Area. It constitutes the western suburban area within Stockholm's municipal borders.

#35 Edited by troll93 (378 posts) -

The suburbs/rural, but here in Australia it is basically all suburbs except for the very center of the top 3 CBD's.

#36 Edited by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I live outside of Detroit. But these days, everybody who lives in Detroit lives outside Detroit. Inside city limits has crumbled to pieces

#37 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

It's hard out here in the streets! Actually my apartment I'm living in for the year is suburban, but my permanent residence with my folks is in the city, right across the Hudson from Downtown Manhattan.

#38 Edited by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

I live outside of Detroit. But these days, everybody who lives in Detroit lives outside Detroit. Inside city limits has crumbled to pieces

Detroit's just a couple of hours away from me. I was there for a concert, and thought it'd be fun to visit that pawn shop where they film "hardcore pawn"

...instead it was just depressing. I don't like going to Detroit.

#39 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

In a suburb of Chicago.

#40 Edited by ShadowConqueror (2994 posts) -

I technically live in the Portland metropolitan area in Oregon, but it's pretty rural. But at the moment I'm in Salem, Oregon, which is urban.

#41 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Suburbs in Southern California

#42 Posted by Mercy_ (258 posts) -

I live in a small suburban (population is less than 6K) town about an hour outside of Boston.

#43 Posted by BobSacamano (10 posts) -

I live in the city for the majority of the year, but when it's not term time I'm back at home with my parents in the countryside. It's a nice contrast to have.

#44 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1270 posts) -

I live in a suburb 40 minutes from Boston. Population of about 25,000.

#45 Edited by Stepside (506 posts) -

@nivash: I'm in Ottawa. Daniel Alfredsson and Erik Karlsson say hi :)

#46 Edited by bunnymud (701 posts) -

I live smack in the heart of Houston. I love living in big cities.

#47 Posted by Onced (106 posts) -

I live in a suburb located just outside of Melbourne, Australia. It has an almost unpronounceable name, gifted to it by Indigenous Australians and is also the home of the worlds most bizarrely complex and dangerous intersection in this history of roads.

Look at it. It's an abomination

#48 Edited by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

I live in the middle of Austin, Texas. Before I moved here for college I lived in the suburbs of Houston (Cypress; northwest Houston).

@bunnymud said:

I live smack in the heart of Houston. I love living in big cities.

Like, right in the middle? Downtown Houston is so goddamn boring.

#49 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

A little town in Cornwall, surrounded by woodland and fields. There's a view of a castle outside my window.

#50 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Suburb of Dayton, Ohio