• 94 results
Edited 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: What kind of area do you live in? (387 votes)

Urban 27%
Suburban 53%
Rural 13%
Other 5%
Show Results 1%

What kind of area do you guys / girls live in? I currently live in a pretty rural section of NC.

#51 Posted by Nivash (241 posts) -

@hitchenson: Pity you don't live in the castle. You could have answered "Feudal".

@stepside: Sweet! Tell them I want tickets.

Reading some of your replies I realized that it's actually difficult to pin down what urban vs suburban really means in places outside the US. Here in Gothenburg, what we refer to when we talk about the suburbs ("förorterna", pretty much a literal translation) are dense apartment complexes located a distance away from the city center with cheap, low-standard apartments mainly inhabited by poor immigrants. This in contrast to the American suburbia which consists of sprawling areas of single family homes inhabited by wealthy middle class people. Really, the only thing they have in common is that they are outside the city proper and are primarily residential in contrast to industrial/commercial. I think this is true for many other cities in Europe.

We have American-equivalent suburbs too, with areas dominated by expensive single-family homes for middle- to upper class residents working in the city, it's just that they aren't really called suburbs. Maybe this is because the city itself is small enough that those areas are rather small too and can be considered individual towns in themselves rather than the highly structured, gradient-like nature of the American suburbs.

#52 Edited by Raven10 (1851 posts) -

Currently I live in a suburb, but I used to live right in the heart of downtown Chicago, right on Michigan Ave.

#53 Edited by chrispti (225 posts) -

Winnipeg, urban, essentially in the center of the city.

#54 Posted by AlexW00d (6309 posts) -

I, uh, don't know if suburbia is even a thing here? Even the rural areas aren't thaaaaaaat rural.

#55 Edited by chocolaterhinovampire (1294 posts) -

Suburban Thorold Ontario

#56 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@nivash: My great grandma and some other relations lived in it at a point. So there's that, I guess.

#57 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -

I live in a low density residential zone.

#58 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2503 posts) -

Smallish town called Dunmore, borders one of the largest cities in PA, Scranton.

#59 Edited by Marcsman (3239 posts) -

Smallish town called Dunmore, borders one of the largest cities in PA, Scranton.

Scranton is a city in the northeastern part of Pennsylvania, United States. It is the county seat of Lackawanna County[3] and the largest principal city in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area. Scranton had a population of 76,089 in 2010, according to the U.S. Census, making it Pennsylvania's sixth-most-populous city after Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, Erie, and Reading.[1]

We near Philly call it the sticks. Ha ha ha

#60 Posted by SharkEthic (1057 posts) -

Bought a house not too long ago and moved to the suburbs...goddamn I love my lawn...fuck sirens, noisy neighbors and drunk people screaming outside at 4 am!

#61 Edited by LukeyBaby93 (14 posts) -

They call where I live a "Leafy Suburb" I have no idea why maybe because the youngest person besides me is around 55.

I live in a place called Wolverhampton, Penn

#62 Posted by Carlos1408 (1526 posts) -

Urban, I live in London. When I go back to see my family though I guess you could say it's suburban.

#63 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

AFAIK, there's nothing but rural areas in NC

#64 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

Suburb of Sylvania just down south of Sydney.

#65 Posted by snake911 (164 posts) -

Suburbs. About an hour away from Los Angeles.

#66 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

A shitty one.

#67 Edited by Unilad (575 posts) -

East Side Long Beach City.

Nah...kidding. I live in Prince Edward, Hong Kong. Fucking centre of Kowloon....CIIIITTTYYYYY!

#68 Posted by dropabombonit (1492 posts) -

I would say Suburban but Northern Ireland is quite rural in general. I don't live in the middle of nowhere, just in a very small town (well barely a town) called Magherafelt. I should say Rural but a couple of my friends literally live in the middle of nowhere so I don't count where I live as rural

#69 Posted by MX (242 posts) -

I live in an urban area from monday to friday and in an suburban area in the weekend

#70 Posted by goreyfantod (140 posts) -

I live in a seasonal tourist resort, so it's pretty much rural in the off-season and urban in the summer months when the population swells to three times its normal size and the restaurants & bars are all open.

#71 Edited by JasonR86 (9744 posts) -

Suburbs all the way! I could see myself living in a rural area. I couldn't see myself living in a city though. I would go hate living in a city.

#72 Posted by Aronman789 (2682 posts) -

I live in Southwest Florida, in a strange area where the old fashioned historical houses meet the featureless, orwellian house-plains of the suburbs and later give away to the greyish brown expanse of shitty terrain that makes up the central part of the state sparsely populated by hicks.

#73 Edited by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

@marcsman said:

@bigboss1911 said:

Scranton is a city in the northeastern part of Pennsylvania, United States. It is the county seat of Lackawanna County[3] and the largest principal city in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metropolitan area. Scranton had a population of 76,089 in 2010, according to the U.S. Census, making it Pennsylvania's sixth-most-populous city after Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Allentown, Erie, and Reading.[1]

We near Philly call it the sticks. Ha ha ha

Was gonna say... dude, my college has that many people.

The University of Texas at Austin (University of Texas, UT Austin, UT, or simply Texas) is a public research-intensive university located in Austin, Texas, United States. It is the flagship institution of the University of Texas System.[7][8][9][10] Founded in 1883, its campus is approximately 0.25 miles (400 m) from the Texas State Capitol in Austin. The institution has the fifth-largest single-campus enrollment in the nation, with over 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students and over 24,000 faculty and staff.[11][12][13][14]

#74 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

A rural part of Illinois. Only big thing we got here is a college.

#75 Edited by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

I live in London, so pretty urban.

#76 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2497 posts) -

Rural Wisconsin. Yeah I have to deal with slow ass internet but the peace and quiet you get around can't be matched. Not to mention the nature here is fucking beautiful.

When there isn't 6 feet of snow.

#77 Posted by pyromagnestir (4327 posts) -

#78 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Newport, CA

#79 Edited by Tireyo (6446 posts) -

Rural Tennessee, but I'm nearby a small city which may be a suburb to some.

#80 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

shitty little shithole town, suburban I guess.
Here's a photo of it about 10 years ago

#81 Edited by Sergio (2161 posts) -

Hmmm... not sure. San Jose is the third largest city in California, largest in Northern California, but it completely feels suburban.

#82 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Suburban, Midtown Dallas.

#83 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I live in Brooklyn, NY. So urban. Was born and raised in Queens, NY in a more suburban area.

#84 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2905 posts) -

Small picture post card pre-1860s architecture small seaside town. The town is dense and lively year round, but it is pretty rural outside of town....if rural in your book includes being surrounded by water 30 miles out to sea. Sometimes I'd rather live in a city like Boston, but on the other hand I could probably not live in as nice of a place in Boston.

#85 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6305 posts) -

Suburb of Boston Mass. Used to be a pretty safe middle class area but it's since gone down the shitter and is now crawling with junkies and thieves.

#86 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I live about 5 minutes outside of Seattle in a fairly hipster-y and cramped neighborhood. There's a zoo across the street and I live pretty close to where most of the small local businesses are. Same road, just a few blocks north.

@bunnymud said:

I live smack in the heart of Houston. I love living in big cities.

Is Houston really that big? I always got the impression it was just a sprawling bunch of not a whole lot.

#87 Edited by golguin (3972 posts) -

What would you call an area that was full of gang activity?

#88 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2417 posts) -

Crappy suburbs, full of housing developments all built around 10 years ago, interspersed with seedy strip malls.

#89 Edited by GalacticPunt (1077 posts) -

I live in a very Mexican barrio within Los Angeles. Urban as shit.

The E3 Convention Center is basically walk-able for me, but I'm not in the biz, so no reason to go there.

#90 Edited by Franstone (1135 posts) -

The burbs outside of Boston.

Fuck terrorists.

#91 Posted by Darson (451 posts) -

I live in the Southland. So it's technically a combination of urban and suburban.

#92 Posted by Halfdeaf (71 posts) -

I live in the burbs of a "city" that is in fact almost exclusively sub-urban.

#93 Edited by triple07 (1198 posts) -

I suppose I would call the city I live in suburban but I live in the college part of town so its different than most suburban towns.

#94 Posted by Wadawoodo (75 posts) -

London Zone 2.