• 129 results
#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

I got a list of this actually for me when I made this topic on some other forums.

1. I thought chocolate milk came from brown cows.

Come on! I think many of us have had this misconception when we were children. White cows gave us milk, Brown chocolate milk. I thought black cows gave out chocolate fudge strangely. I think this one might me the most common misconception we had as kids. But... again. I would like to know if I am wrong in thinking this.

2. If you had glasses, you knew how to use a computer...

Now... I know I am mainly wrong in this. But considering the smarter people in my school as a kid were the kids with glasses, I always thought that they knew how to use computers more then regular eye sight kids. No offense to anyone with glasses! Just a misconception I had as a kid.

3.DBZ style stuff was possible.

I fully admit to trying to become super saiyan and Kamehameha'ing things. I REALLY tried... bums me out still to this day. Dammit. I demand that if we ever get the technology, I demand someone to make a weapon like the kamehameha. I mean, come on science! get the hell on that!

What misconceptions did you have as a kid?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

1. I thought chocolate milk came from brown cows.

Racist.

#3 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I see you were trying to trick me into answering your question by changing your avatar.

#4 Edited by Jeust (10917 posts) -

I though Mexico was in Portugal. Those game shows confused me. ahah

#5 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3112 posts) -

I thought God was real.

#6 Posted by Toxin066 (3338 posts) -

I thought women had hearts and could be trusted.

I believed that all adults knew what they were talking about.

I use to think laugh tracks were actually people laughing.

#7 Posted by delorean99947 (230 posts) -

I thought people actually died in movies, they just signed up to be in it and get killed. That went away when I saw the same guy die twice.

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Having faith in humankind was actually a good idea

#9 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

I thought God was real.

Me too, I would never steal, lie, curse, or do anything that would make me go to hell.

I used to believe that all people were the same, racism didn't exist as a kid. i had black friends, perubian friends, Mexican friends, white , jewish ( I think).

But as I got older I noticed that hanging around certain people attracted negative attention I.e. people would look at you as if you were getting ready to mug them.

It sucks, I still hang around with whoever I want regardless of color, but it's so f'ing stupid that people just assume the worst and generalize.

#10 Posted by Aegon (5918 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

I thought God was real.

So you're 100% certain, eh?

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

None, I've always known everything about everything.

#12 Posted by N7 (3723 posts) -

I used to think boobs were called hooters. I mean, they technically are, but I thought that was their NAME. They were hooters.

#13 Posted by SpaceRunaway (874 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:

I believed that all adults knew what they were talking about.

Oh, man, how I miss the days when you believed the people you looked up to were perfect, and that once you became an adult all the dumb shit in your life would get worked out, and also that people stopped being small and petty once they grew up.

What a depressing thread you've made, Jay.
#14 Posted by Getz (3176 posts) -

I thought shit just happened automatically; like you wake up one day and you're married with kids and a job. I thought God was real and listening to me. I thought "how great wiil it be when I know everything and won't have any more questons!"

I thought the monsters in Power Rangers were actually giant robotic puppets

#15 Posted by Soapy86 (2625 posts) -

I thought the world was great.

#16 Posted by pyromagnestir (4344 posts) -

That the world would make sense to me once I was grew up... It does I guess, but not in the positive way I thought it would, but in a more pragmatic or even pessimistic way.

I hoped that adults were all intelligent, happy, and significant people but even when I was very young I believe I sensed that this was a false hope. I wouldn't have been able to explain any of this then, of course.

No silly stuff that I can recall. I'm not even sure I ever believed in Santa Claus or anything like that.

#17 Posted by IzzyGraze (858 posts) -

I thought laws were indisputable and made sense.

#18 Posted by sk8nob (18 posts) -

I thought that once you graduated from college you automatically got a good job.

#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I see you were trying to trick me into answering your question by changing your avatar.

Ya, he tricked me too. Got as far as clicking the thread title before I noticed whom it was. Curse him!

#20 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

Damn, you guys were dumb.

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7098 posts) -

@Claude said:

Yeah, the avatar change made me look at the actual topic creator name. Nope!

#22 Posted by TheCrookedWarden (38 posts) -

I though that racism was a thing from history books that the world had gotten over and it in no way harmed anyone anymore.

/shelteredwhiteboy

#23 Edited by smitty86 (696 posts) -

I thought the better beer got, the sweeter and more candy-like it got. Oh how I still wish that true.

#24 Posted by Sackmanjones (4773 posts) -

I thought the gas inside of the car contributed to how fast the cars go

#25 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4713 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Having faith in humankind was actually a good idea

Party pooper.

#26 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

I thought oral sex was just kissing. Nothing more, nothing less.

#27 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

That.

And I generally thought the world is a place where all people are nice to you.

#28 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1332 posts) -

God is an obvious one, I also thought life would be easy as an adult. Hah

#29 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

I thought good things happened to good people....

womp womp wommmmmmmmppppppp

#30 Posted by sionweeks (662 posts) -

That cannabis, shrooms and LSD are bad for you, and that alcohol is totally fine!

Fucking wankers.

#31 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

I used to think video game narratives were good.

#32 Posted by GoodKn1ght (491 posts) -

That one day I could grow up and be a strong black woman

#33 Posted by Gamer_152 (14126 posts) -

@Claude said:

Were?

I could give some typical cynical answers, but one of the more humorous things I believed when I was very young was that I was the only person in the world who had my forename and that it was exclusive to me. Whenever my parents talked about anyone else with my name, I assumed they were talking about me, but I was just to young to understand what they were saying to each other.

#34 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

I thought you actually had to pee in a girls vagina.

#35 Edited by TheHT (11995 posts) -

Whenever a girl took off her clothes, she looked like this:

edit: full sequence
#36 Posted by Enai (220 posts) -

Adults could stay up late and needed less sleep... Although the former is true, I love my sleep more than ever!
I also thought cars were amazingly difficult to drive, and required a lot of skill.
Oh and I always thought someone switched on lamposts when it was dark! I had no idea about the sensor on the top

#37 Posted by isomeri (1504 posts) -

I remember when I realized that islands don't float on water, but are essentially just mountains on the sea floor.

#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8609 posts) -

I believed in true love.

Sigh.

#39 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1130 posts) -

I thought Kansas actually was all black and white.

#40 Posted by KaneRobot (1932 posts) -

I believed hoverboards were possible and I was gonna be the first person to build one using a skateboard and powerful magnets.

#41 Edited by Chemin (633 posts) -

Well, I did believe in Santa Claus for a few years. Considering I live in the northern parts of Sweden, and we have tons of wilderness and snow, it seemed plausible at the time. Hah. Oh, young me, you so silly.

#42 Posted by SomeJerk (3454 posts) -

I was one of many to think that cats were female and dogs were male.

Oh what a wicked scientist I could have become.

#43 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

I thought sex had something to do with belly buttons...don't ask, I can't even begin to tell you why I thought that

#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Up until i was 12 I thought vaginas were like a man's junk without a penis. Like... a ball sack with a hole in it. 
Jesus christ.

#45 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Claude said:

I thought that PUBIC hair was called PUBLIC hair as my mind adjusted what my eyes saw. When I made the mistake of saying public hair and got picked up on it (I was probably 13), I quickly joked that I was talking about prostitutes as they clearly had public hair (now they seem to have no hair - so I'm told). How dumb was that?

#46 Posted by SinGulaR (2411 posts) -

I thought that to get to the USA you had to travel upwards not westwards.

I thought that the TV program that was running would pause when you turned off the TV.

Then I turned 6 :D

#47 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

I used to think I was going to be a lawyer. LOL

#48 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

Insert snarky "thread's been done before" comment here.

#49 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

haha

#50 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

:(