• 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

I just got done watching the Day of the Dead Remake,I thought it would be terrible,but instead it ended up being a really entertaining joy ride.Bad acting and impossible situations aside,a smoking hot lead female character and some awesome fight scenes made it worth my time.                                                                                                        

  

and another example of something like this is the movie Sky High,I thought the movie would be shit,but turned out to be an entertaining superhero flick with Kurt Russell and Bruce Campbell(sorry if I miss spelled there names).
  


#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Juno.


I expected that movie to suck shit, but it was actually pretty damn good.
#3 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

The Bank Job.

Even though Rotten Tomatoes had it pretty decent the nonexistent hype made me think everybody hated it. It was actually pretty good. Heist movies are fun. Heist movies with Statham are even more fun.

#4 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Pulp Fiction because I didn't like John Travolta at the time. Now it's one of my favorite movies.

#5 Posted by Osaladin (2519 posts) -

Wanted.

#6 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
Osaladin said:
"Wanted."
The opposite for me. I went in hoping another Shoot Em Up and came out seriously disappointed.
#7 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
Osaladin said:
"Wanted."
That's a pretty good one for me. I felt the same way. Turned out awesome.
#8 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3092 posts) -

Get Smart. I watched that and Love Guru the same day thinking Love Guru was going to be hilarious and Get Smart being lame. I left without laughing once during Love Guru and not being able to stop from laughing after watching Get Smart.

#9 Posted by Superspiritgun (43 posts) -

The Rocker, thought it would be another horrible teen comedy, turned out to have some value to it

#10 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
Fr0Br0 said:
"Get Smart. I watched that and Love Guru the same day thinking Love Guru was going to be hilarious and Get Smart being lame. I left without laughing once during Love Guru and not being able to stop from laughing after watching Get Smart."
Hey, I thought Get Smart was good too. I thought it was gonna be one of those awkward comedy movies (where you know it`s supposed to be funny but no one in the room laughs), but it wasn`t. My family and I laughed consistently throughout the whole thing.
#11 Posted by RetroIce4 (4392 posts) -

Speed Racer...
Entertaining movie, but I didn't expect anything. I thought it would be a terrible remake but it acquired the same elements as the classic. It was just
a entertaining mindless kind of movie to watch. I personally liked it.

#12 Posted by dr_nefarious (1614 posts) -

Push. Thought it was gonna be crap but actually turned out to be pretty good.

#13 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I have to say Get smart, I hatted the looks of it, but it was cool.

#14 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

WALL-E
Didn't know what to expect.  It was very good I liked it.

#15 Posted by raven_squad (438 posts) -

"Ghost Town" starring Ricky Gervais and Tea Leoni. I had never seen anything I liked with Tea Leoni in it, so I didn't expect what appeared to be a silly romantic comedy with a gimmick to change that. However, I was basically held under threat of death by my girlfriend to go see it with her, and I ended up loving it. So much so that I purchased it on DVD. :o 

#16 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

Crank (first one)

#17 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Million Dollar Baby.

#18 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

Well, I thought that Busty Babysitters 7 was a complete surprise. Just the way they used such a low budget to create such a beautiful film was really insperational

#19 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Wanted was surprising. Superman Returns, too.

#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

The original Crank.  At first I didn't like it...and then it was like the greatest sex trip.  By the time he's nailing his girlfriend in front of all the Asians....I was like "GREATEST FUCKING POPCORN FLICK EVER".

Crank is fucking awesome.  Everyone HAS to watch it.

#21 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -
TheFreeMan said:
"Osaladin said:
"Wanted."
The opposite for me. I went in hoping another Shoot Em Up and came out seriously disappointed."
See, I had the same reaction to both Wanted and Shoot 'Em Up, with the latter possibly disappointing me more. I kinda figured something with Angelina Jolie as a cool tattooed assassin would be trying a little too hard, but I thought Shoot 'Em Up really came up short.
Moderator
#22 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
Cloverfield - way more awesome than I would have ever imagined.
Live Free or Die Hard - I thought it was going to be lame since it was PG-13 and had a stupid sounding plot, but it was great.
The Warriors - definitely a better movie than you'd think.
Hustle & Flow - I caught this movie on BET probably 5-6 months ago, expecting it to mostly suck but I ended up being thoroughly impressed by it.
National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - To be honest, I was kind of disappointed with the original. I think this sequel makes up for it.
Remember the Titans - I didn't really think I'd care for it since I'm not big on football, but man, what an excellent movie.
Zoolander - Judging from the trailers, I thought it looked so stupid. I'm glad I gave it a chance because now I love it.

#23 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Hancock. I thought that movie would totally suck, but I got a few good laughs out of it.

#24 Posted by shunal (9 posts) -

Valkyrie, mostly because I don't like Tom Cruise.
Watchmen because I didn't think it was possible.

That's about it.

#25 Posted by raggedglory (218 posts) -

Ong Bak and Kung Fu Hustle,   I thought the first whould be a jackie chan rip off and the second would be too blatently dumb.
Apparntly there will be sequals for both so awwww ya

#26 Posted by Dethfish (3657 posts) -

For movies, I'd say Wanted. I thought that movie would suck badly but after I watched it I wanted (haha) to see it again. Same thing with Crank.

In games it would have to be Assassins Creed. I just played it recently and after all the bad talk about it (which seem to drown out the good) I thought it would be bad. I thought it was great.

A game that I thought would suck and ended up sucking worse than I'd imagined is Baja: Edge of Control. Ugh, can no one make a good rally car game?

#27 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

I went into Wanted thinking it was going to be terrible, especially since Angelina Jolie isn't a great actress. By the time it ended, I really enjoyed it.

#28 Posted by Intrepid (187 posts) -

For me it was "The Last Samurai".  It bugged me, because I thought while it was set in Japan the 'hero' would be some caucasian guy becoming the last samurai.  But after seeing it, they wove his character into the plot pretty well.

#29 Posted by LackLuster (717 posts) -

Shoot em Up

#30 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
LackLuster said:
"Shoot em Up"
Fuck yes.  Movies like Crank and Shoot em Up are rare.  What genre can they be under?  Pure action porn?  No one watches that stuff for story...the action is so awesome.
#31 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

Blade 2. I enjoyed the first one but I didn't think it was great, so my expectations for the sequel where pretty low. As it turned out the movie was way better than the first one.

Guillermo del Toro is a genius.

#32 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Rocky Balboa and Die Hard 4.0, mainly. I thought after all this time, they'd be pretty tame cash-ins on the franchise names but they were above and beyond what I expected.

#33 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

No movie ever. I have never seen a movie I expected to hate and liked it. 99 percent of the time, if I expect to like a movie I will like it. I usually look up critics reviews before I watch a movie and my enjoyment tends to line up almost exactly with critics. There has never, ever been an exception to this. Also, if I watch a movie without knowing the critics rating of it, and I watch the movie, I will come away with pretty much the same enjoyment and opinion of critics.

I hate what he says about videogames, but I pretty much line up with Roger Ebert 99 percent of the time.

#34 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

The Wakness


Turned out to be a great film about maturing into an adult, drugs, and also has an amazing hip hop soundtrack. Was expecting it to be something totally different
#35 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Speed Racer: thought it was a generic Disney movie featuring Zac Efron. Turns out it was a Wachowski Brothers movie featuring Emile Hirsch, and it was even better than any Fast and Furious movie.

#36 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

Marley and Me.  I actually thought it was a good movie.  And the ending is really sad, made me cry.

#37 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Speed Racer, not the greatest movie ever; but much better than I expected. Watched it just for the visual effects but came out enjoying it.

#38 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Geno said:
"Speed Racer: thought it was a generic Disney movie featuring Zac Efron. Turns out it was a Wachowski Brothers movie featuring Emile Hirsch, and it was even better than any Fast and Furious movie. "
Zac was meant to be in it but he dropped out after the Wachowski's said there was no chemistry in the scenes with Christina Ricci as she is so much older than him. Everyone seems to deem Efron's leaving to be the reason why the film failed as he would have brought a much bigger audience than Ricci.
#39 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Geno said:
"Speed Racer: thought it was a generic Disney movie featuring Zac Efron. Turns out it was a Wachowski Brothers movie featuring Emile Hirsch, and it was even better than any Fast and Furious movie. "
Zac was meant to be in it but he dropped out after the Wachowski's said there was no chemistry in the scenes with Christina Ricci as she is so much older than him. Everyone seems to deem Efron's leaving to be the reason why the film failed as he would have brought a much bigger audience than Ricci."

But you don't think the movie was better for it?
#40 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Geno said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Geno said:
"Speed Racer: thought it was a generic Disney movie featuring Zac Efron. Turns out it was a Wachowski Brothers movie featuring Emile Hirsch, and it was even better than any Fast and Furious movie. "
Zac was meant to be in it but he dropped out after the Wachowski's said there was no chemistry in the scenes with Christina Ricci as she is so much older than him. Everyone seems to deem Efron's leaving to be the reason why the film failed as he would have brought a much bigger audience than Ricci."
But you don't think the movie was better for it? "
Look at my avatar and ask me again.
#41 Posted by Shazam (474 posts) -

Click. I went to see that film thinking it would be another comedy with Adam Sandler past his best. I left that cinema crying. So sad. Not the best film I've ever seen, but I loved the way it just changed direction. A pleasant surprise.

#42 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

This is going to sound absolutely ludicrous, but I'm going to say Slumdog Millionaire. I caught it on DVD over the weekend expecting it to be just another "Critic's Darling" drama/romance and mostly got.....a typical drama/romance. It wasn't a bad film but I just came away from it with sort of a "meh" feeling. I can appreciate how well-made it was, but I found it to be nothing special.

#43 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -
Intrepid said:
"For me it was "The Last Samurai".  It bugged me, because I thought while it was set in Japan the 'hero' would be some caucasian guy becoming the last samurai.  But after seeing it, they wove his character into the plot pretty well."
This
#44 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

The Ringer. It wasnt great, but it was miles better than i thought it would be.

#45 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Running Scared




#46 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -
VWGTI said:
"Running Scared


"
Oh shit I forgot about this one. I caught this on HBO last year and was pleasently surprised.
#47 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6189 posts) -

Family Man, with Nicholas "One Note Joke" Cage and Tea Leoni.  I went into it thinking it would be another movie by Cage that I hated, and it turned out that I loved it.  I watch that one and It's a Wonderful Life every year just before Christmas.

Also, I really liked the hell out of Jeane Claude Van Damm's The Quest.  I watched it thinking it would be another ridiculous JCVD movie I could poke fun at, and you know what?  I liked it.  Not even in a post-modern amused sort of way - I just liked it.  It's a meat-and-potatoes action movie that kinda pulls on my fondness for fighting games.

Moderator
#48 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -
Everyones_A_Critic said:
"VWGTI said:
"Running Scared


"
Oh shit I forgot about this one. I caught this on HBO last year and was pleasently surprised."
Yea, dude. That movie was legit.
#49 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
Karmum said:
"I went into Wanted thinking it was going to be terrible, especially since Angelina Jolie isn't a great actress. By the time it ended, I really enjoyed it."
Oscar-winning actress, dude. I think she's actually received three Oscar nominations in her career. I would say she's a great actress, though she's been in more than a few bad films. You know, like the Tomb Raider movies. But when she's taking on a more serious role, girl knows how to bring the thunder. As for the hotness, she always knows how to bring that. I really thought Wanted was horrible, though.
#50 Posted by rhrgrt (15 posts) -

Dude, i totally thought Ironman with Robert Downy Jr. was gonna be shit on film. Then AgentJ was all like "dude, you gotta see this movie. gotta go go go go go go" and made me go, and then it was probably the best movie ever for all of creation. OK, maybe not that good, but it was a good movie.