• 55 results
#1 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

So I saw American Pie: Reunion on opening night yesterday (comes out today, 5th of April in Australia, but there was an early member screening the night before) and it was fucking hilarious. I was wondering what movies you guys have seen on opening night and what you though of them?

#2 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

Don't do opening nights, I prefer to wait til crowds die down and I can watch the flick in peace, quiet, and comfort. Even more preferably, cable/DVD.

#3 Posted by benpicko (2002 posts) -

None, but I'm apparently seeing The Avengers at midnight.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

The Dark Knight, Inglourious Basterds, District 9, Inception, and Captain America. I'll probably see Avengers opening night as well.

#5 Posted by BisonHero (6250 posts) -

I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at midnight, mostly because a bunch of friends were going. And I went to see The Dark Knight at midnight because I genuinely wanted to.

I can't think of any movies that have come out in the past few years that I wanted to see so badly that I would go to a midnight opening.

#6 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Trainspotting and To Wong Fu Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar.

They were both great to see in a packed theatre.

#7 Posted by BaneFireLord (2913 posts) -

I tend to avoid opening nights, but I did see both Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Prince of Persia opening night (for the latter, I was extremely bored. There was almost no one in the theater, oddly).

#8 Posted by pantzing_nome (583 posts) -

Watchmen

#9 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I haven't been to an opening night in ages. I do remember seeing Star Wars, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Black Hole and Heavy Metal. There might be a few others from way back when, but damn, that was a long time ago.

#10 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Star Wars Episode I, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I and II, True Grit, The Dark Knight, LOTR Two Towers and Return of the King, Saw II, III, and IV, The Number 23, Watchmen... Probably others.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Too many to count. 
Back to the Future Part III being the weirdest one I can remember

#12 Posted by JaredA (820 posts) -

Here are some that I have seen (Off the top of my head):

• Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 version)
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

WOW. I didn't realize how many I had seen at midnight...

#13 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

By opening night I assume we are talking about midnight openings? If so, only one: The Simpsons Movie. Oh man what a time that was.........

#14 Posted by Ksaw (341 posts) -

Saw the first Jurassic park opening night. I was nine, so that was pretty exciting at the time.

#15 Edited by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Star Wars Episode 3. I was in college at the time and it was kind of a big deal for my class to go see all the nifty special effects; I was in a 3D Graphics and Game Design course so it was neat to see what some of the best were doing at that time. The experience sucked because I had to sit near the front row and I couldn't see a thing.

I hate going to theatres full of people because not only is it harder to get a good seat, each other person in the place exponentially increases the odds that there will be assholes that never shut up and ruin the movie. I never go to them any more anyway, because the closest one is an hour drive away and it's not worth paying $30 in gas ontop of the ticket/food just to go see a stupid movie. On the rarest of rare occasions that I do go however I try to make sure it's the latest screening at night possible, at least a week or two past release, and that it's on a school night so there is less of a chance of kids/teenagers in there.

#16 Posted by me3639 (1733 posts) -

Spider-Man.

#17 Posted by BisonHero (6250 posts) -

Reading these answers, I'm beginning to think this topic is a stealth attempt at getting a sense of the age of various users on the forum.

#18 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@BisonHero said:

Reading these answers, I'm beginning to think this topic is a stealth attempt at getting a sense of the age of various users on the forum.

If people could guess my age based on me seeing Back to the Future Part III then that's a pretty good talent and they should charge money for it.  
Damn scary gypsys
#19 Posted by Hailinel (23979 posts) -

Too many to list, but it's been quite a while since I've been to an opening night showing. I think the last time I went to a movie on opening night was for the Friday the 13th reboot, just because seeing a Friday the 13th movie in a theater on Friday the 13th was too fun an idea to pass up.

It's a pity that the movie wasn't better, though.

#20 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

The Dark knight...pretty cool movie by standards

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i haven't seen a movie on opening night in days.

i want to see american: reunion. last weekend american pie 1 was on. it was pretty funny from what i saw.

#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

So I saw American Pie: Reunion on opening night yesterday (comes out today, 5th of April in Australia, but there was an early member screening the night before) and it was fucking hilarious. I was wondering what movies you guys have seen on opening night and what you though of them?

NEKU WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR AVATAR

Peer pressure. :(

#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:

@VinceNotVance said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Don't know why but I guess "Peer pressure" to mean usually means that more than two people are asking "why" you changed your avatar. 
It's more like 10 people saying "change it back or you won't be cool anymore" 
#24 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

Hook.

That's right Hook. And it was AWESOME.

#25 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@SockemJetpack said:

Hook.

That's right Hook. And it was AWESOME.

But George Lucas and Carrie Fisher make out in that movie!  
Leia and the guy forcing Leia to make out with her Brother. KISSING! 
#26 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: I don't remember that part... was it before or after the Roo Fee OOOOOOOOHHH scene?

#27 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@SockemJetpack: It was before. 
It's the couple on the bridge, kissing. 

#28 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@BisonHero said:

If people could guess my age based on me seeing Back to the Future Part III then that's a pretty good talent and they should charge money for it. Damn scary gypsys

Well, let's see...the movie came out in 1990 and it had a PG rating...so you were probably a teenager at that time...so I'm guessing you're around 35-40?

#29 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Vodun said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@BisonHero said:

If people could guess my age based on me seeing Back to the Future Part III then that's a pretty good talent and they should charge money for it. Damn scary gypsys

Well, let's see...the movie came out in 1990 and it had a PG rating...so you were probably a teenager at that time...so I'm guessing you're around 35-40?

Nope, I was 3 years old and my mom really wanted to see the movie so my dad (who worked at the theater at the time) took her in to see it with him alone and me in my little chair. 
Sure I had no idea what the fuck was going on but I apparantly enjoyed it(that's what I'm being told).  

You Voodoo-majigk do not work on me! 
#30 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: ... my god what have you done. I could have lived my entire life without that knowledge and been perfectly happy.

#31 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

Fright Night

The Sitter.

The only times I've went to a midnight show is when I was already at the theater and decided to stick around, either I just got off work or saw a movie earlier. I just don't really see the point too midnight shows, Sunday morning is usually the earliest I want to see a new release.

#32 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

Every Harry Potter.

#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@SockemJetpack: I'm sorry, but to cheer you up 
Here's a dubbed fat kid rolling:  

#34 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@VinceNotVance said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Don't know why but I guess "Peer pressure" to mean usually means that more than two people are asking "why" you changed your avatar. It's more like 10 people saying "change it back or you won't be cool anymore"

It was a joke, hah.

I just changed it back... because.

#35 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Vodun said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@BisonHero said:

Nope, I was 3 years old and my mom really wanted to see the movie so my dad (who worked at the theater at the time) took her in to see it with him alone and me in my little chair. Sure I had no idea what the fuck was going on but I apparantly enjoyed it(that's what I'm being told). You Voodoo-majigk do not work on me!

Curses! Didn't use enough pins in the doll!

#36 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

I have never seen a movie on the day/night it opened.

#37 Posted by Genkkaku (734 posts) -

I usually catch one every thursday night (release day here) and only really since I work at the cinema..

But we did have a staff pre-screening of Skyline.. Yay us

#38 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Back in high school my friend worked at the theater and he was a projectionist so I never paid to see movies during that time. We had early private screenings too. Being able to see mediocre movies and riff on them at the same time in the theater was awesome.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I've never done this.

#40 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@SockemJetpack: I'm sorry, but to cheer you up
Here's a dubbed fat kid rolling:

Thanks! Ladies and gentlemen may I present the new leader of The Lost Boys.

#41 Posted by djn3811 (53 posts) -

Harry Potter 5-8 and Star Wars III

#42 Edited by Kidavenger (3514 posts) -

Terminator 2 was the best opening night I ever went to by far, one of the few movies ever that actually delivered on all the hype leading up to it, people were freaking out before the movie in the theater and after the movie it was like a madhouse.

Last one I went to was the third LotR movie at midnight, what a mistake, long movies at midnight blow.

I rarely go to the movies anymore, but I intend to see Prometheus on opening night.

#43 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

If I know I'm going to like a movie, or my friends desperatly want to see it, I go to opening nights. The last one I saw was Hunger Games, and that one was because my friends wanted to see it. I tried really hard to get into it, but it was just not interesting.

#44 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3112 posts) -

I watched Titanic's 3D rerelease yesterday, and there was nobody there.

#45 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

So many... Fantastic Mr. Fox, Spliced, Watchmen, Inglorious Bastard, The Hangover, Tron: Legacy, Resident Evil 3, 4, Due Date, Captain America, Thor, X-Men First Class, Super 8, Conan, Fast Five, Sucker Punch, Apollo 18, Rango, District 9, Immortals, Iron Man 1, 2, Predators, Inception, Class of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland, A-Team, the Losers, Robin Hood, The Wolfman, Kick-Ass, Machete, The Crazies, Scot Pilgrim Vs. The World, Legion, Paranormal Activity 2, Jackass 3d, Devil. Those are all of ones in the last few years.....

#46 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

All Lord of the Rings Films, Jackass 1, 2, & 3
And... umm a few  of the Fast & Furious films.

I'm not counting all the ones I've seen years ago, Space Jam being the most memorable

#47 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

I don't think I've ever seen a movie on opening day. Just never really had the desire to, especially considering that I could watch it later in the week when there aren't as many people crowding into the theater.

#48 Edited by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I was living in LA at the time, and go to see Return of the King at the Burbank theater, that was a hell of a time- so many plastic elf ears...

#49 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6389 posts) -

I haven't ever seen a midnight movie, even though I've always wanted to.

#50 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Meh, I very rarely actually go to the movies, but once after work I decided to go, and it happened to be the opening night of "Let me in" and that was pretty great. Have not really ever cared enough about a movie to go with all the crazies there, luckily the one I went to was rather quiet.