What old anime would you recommend (pre-90s I guess)?

• 65 results
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sometimes I think I should go back and watch old anime. I realistically don't have time at the present, but humour me, and tell me anyways. Maybe I'll somehow find the time over the Christmas break or something.

Fist of the North Star seems like the standout option that gets referenced all over the place, and I wonder how it holds up. At the very least, ATATATATATATATATATA seems pretty fun.

Lupin III or Lupin the Third seems like another anime that was in its heyday back in the...70s? I wonder if the humour is just really hokey by today's standards, but damn if that MGS version of the opening isn't great.

Also, man, that fucking music.

Brave Raideen or Raideen The Brave would be cool to watch, if only because I guess it's the first mecha anime ever where the mech exists because of some weird spritual/mystical shit, and not because of the usual science and engineering reasons. So it's basically the forerunner to Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon, which I like a great deal. Raideen probably not so big on the angst department, but I guess purely from a historical standpoint, it would be neat to see how they handled it.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think Lupin holds up really well, but then again it's one of my favorite series so I might be a little biased. I'm not normally interested in live-action adaptations of anime, but the new Lupin movie looks really good.

Loading Video...

I definitely have to recommend Ronin Warriors (Yoroiden Samurai Troopers). It was the show that got me into anime in the first place. I haven't seen it since I was a little kid, but I remember it being good. Astro Boy is another older anime that's definitely worth checking out. It's quite a bit different than what's around today, but still entertaining. I also like Touch a lot, but if you aren't into sports you probably wouldn't like it.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jiggajoe14
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar
RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By RuthLoose

The entirety of Dirty Pair shares a lot of that Japan Golden Era optimistic hokey vibe. I totally recommend it and it reminds me a lot of Trigun in terms of featuring good natured, misunderstood deconstructionists.

Loading Video...

Cyber City 808 is borderline 1990s but it is also a great OVA watch. The English dub is super corny too!

Loading Video...

Both series can be found on YouTube via these links.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I watched Fist of the north star relatively recently for the first time and I think it's fantastic. That's all.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi

Fist of the North Star is fucking rad.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

I remember seeing a little Starzinger and Space Battleship Yamato as a kid. Both from the 70's and pretty silly, but that 70's anime artstyle still holds up alright.

Loading Video...

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By obcdexter

Bubblegum Crisis. That soundtrack is just something else. Love me some Kouji Makaino-songs to this day from time to time.
Also: Space Runaway Ideon and Macross!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Turambar

A few additional shows to consider:

Gunbuster (OVA length)

Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross (Full length series)

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (Full length series)

Mobile Suite Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA length)

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigmess

I remember watching Science Ninja Team Gatchaman around the the time Tatsunoko vs Capcom came out and maaaaan did that age horribly.

I've never watched Lupin III but I've always been interested in it. Does anyone know where that might be streaming?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

Macross: The one that started the whole franchise. Having rewatched it a few years back, it holds up surprisingly well.

Loading Video...

City Hunter: Insanely popular back in the day! Rose tinted glasses perhaps, but damn, it oozed cool (so far as you can call anything in the 80s cool). Those clothes! That hair! Those songs!

Loading Video...

arg3n7um

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Vampire Hunter D and The Professional: Golgo 13

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Max_Cherry

Ghost in the shell

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampire Hunter D and Fist of the North Star.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

M.D. Geist

Loading Video...

(it's not as bad as everyone says)

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

Personally I have trouble fully recommending any pre-90's anime outside of Studio Ghibli's movies and Akira (although I believe you are looking for series here not films). I have heard a lot of good things about Lupin III though. I haven't seen it myself so I couldn't say personally one way or another.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By reverendk

I wrote a big list, then accidentally deleted thanks to my nexus 7 spazing out.

Anyway,

Area 88, the cartoon Ace Combat.

Votoms and it's related show Armored Hunter Mellowlink for hot power suit versus power suit versus guy action.

Dominion Tank Police. It's patlabor with tanks.

Black Magic M66.

Appleseed. You'll notice how big an influence Shirow seems to be on Neil Blomkamp. Sort of like a lighthearted ghost in the shell.

No Caption Provided

Patlabor. Dominion Tank Police, but with mechs. Two OVAs, three movies, and a TV Show. You'll weep for Headgear's fate once you finish. This is my favorite anime series, even beating out the much vaunted 0079 Gundam, but just barely. Some of these are past the pre-90s line though. The tone of the movies, ovas and tv show are all very different.

Fang of the Sun Dougram. Early battletech designs, the anime.

Mobile Armor Dragonar.

Dragon's Heaven. Almost too pretty to look at.

Cyborg 009.

Space Runaway Ideon if only for the final couple of episodes. Also a great way to understand why the Tomino lead gundams are the way the are. I'm looking at you Victory.

Galaxy Express 999, though just about anything from Leji Matsumoto will be good. Especially Interstella 9999

1980s Gundam is weird, because Tomino was in full Kill-em-all mode for Zeta gundam, but Double Zeta is goofy to a fault. Char's Counterattack is beautifully animated, but bland or even frustratingly written. 0080 is it's own wonderful thing if you aren't too sad about burgers. I'll be honest, I think kill-em-all Tomino is the better Tomino, because even when he's happy, it still gets pretty dark.

Super Dimension Centruy Orguss and Super Dimension Southern Cross are interesting from the standpoint of understanding why everything in the 80s had to transform. 80s anime was 60% hyper violence and 40% transforming mechs, partly because of how well Macross did. The original Macross is also the only good Macross if you count Do You Remember Love in with that. Everything that came after was poorly executed though 7 at least does something unique and weird.

If you want to go later in time, Martian Successor Nadesco does a pretty good job of breaking the fourth wall, without making that the entire gag of the show. It's not good per say, but it's interesting.

@mechanical_ape said:

@bigmess: Some of the tv series and a few of the movies are on Hulu. The Castle of Cagliostro is the best.

Yes. Season two of the show has the best episode, the one where they steal the Christ the Redeemer statue.

Basically, go watch Lupin III, and Patlabor. Large portions of Patlabor are on hulu. If Goto isn't your main character then there is seriously something wrong with you.

Loading Video...

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a bit early in the 90's but I think it's one of the best most underrated series that most never watched. Don't watch season two it ends in a terrible cliffhanger. /cry

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Plus it has this rad intro!

Loading Video...

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By jimipeppr

I've been watching Captain Harlock. The story isn't great, but I'm really into the music and hair.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fist of the North Star holds up as well as you let it, as is the case with most old entertainment. It's super dumb and silly, but I had a blast with it. Just don't watch Fist of the North Star 2. It's not very good at all.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wrote a big list, then accidentally deleted thanks to my nexus 7 spazing out.

Anyway,

Area 88, the cartoon Ace Combat.

Votoms and it's related show Armored Hunter Mellowlink for hot power suit versus power suit versus guy action.

Dominion Tank Police. It's patlabor with tanks.

Black Magic M66.

Appleseed. You'll notice how big an influence Shirow seems to be on Neil Blomkamp. Sort of like a lighthearted ghost in the shell.

No Caption Provided

Patlabor. Dominion Tank Police, but with mechs. Two OVAs, three movies, and a TV Show. You'll weep for Headgear's fate once you finish. This is my favorite anime series, even beating out the much vaunted 0079 Gundam, but just barely. Some of these are past the pre-90s line though.

Fang of the Sun Dougram. Early battletech designs, the anime.

Mobile Armor Dragonar.

Dragon's Heaven. Almost too pretty to look at.

Cyborg 009.

Space Runaway Ideon if only for the final couple of episodes. Also a great way to understand why the Tomino lead gundams are the way the are. I'm looking at you Victory.

Galaxy Express 999, though just about anything from Leji Matsumoto will be good. Especially Interstella 9999

1980s Gundam is weird, because Tomino was in full Kill-em-all mode for Zeta gundam, but Double Zeta is goofy to a fault. Char's Counterattack is beautifully animated, but bland or even frustratingly written. 0080 is it's own wonderful thing if you aren't too sad about burgers. I'll be honest, I think kill-em-all Tomino is the better Tomino, because even when he's happy, it still gets pretty dark.

Super Dimension Centruy Orguss and Super Dimension Southern Cross are interesting from the standpoint of understanding why everything in the 80s had to transform. 80s anime was 60% hyper violence and 40% transforming mechs, partly because of how well Macross did. The original Macross is also the only good Macross if you count Do You Remember Love in with that. Everything that came after was poorly executed though 7 at least does something unique and weird.

If you want to go later in time, Martian Successor Nadesco does a pretty good job of breaking the fourth wall, without making that the entire gag of the show. It's not good per say, but it's interesting.

@mechanical_ape said:

@bigmess: Some of the tv series and a few of the movies are on Hulu. The Castle of Cagliostro is the best.

Yes. Season two of the show has the best episode, the one where they steal the Christ the Redeemer statue.

Basically, go watch Lupin III, and Patlabor. Large portions of Patlabor are on hulu.

This is a pretty definitive list. I would add Ranma 1/2, Dragonball (not Z) and Record of Lodoss War if you can find it (the 1990 OVA).

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By reverendk

@nasar7: Good additions.

A few more I remembered:

Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 is a one-shot OVA you'll want to track down. It's goofy, and the namesake of internet star Madox.

Robot Carnival. A couple of short films not unlike the later Memories. Very artsy.

NeoTokyo. Another Anthology film. Construction Cancellation Order is my personal favorite. Lone man trapped in the jungle with a deranged construction robot.

801 T.T.S, Airbats is another plane thing. I think it's from 91 though. It's ok.

The late 80s is when everybody started just throwing money away on OVA's so you get a lot of really cool creative stuff and some hot garbage. Partly why everything gets hyper-violent.

Speaking of...Megazone 23. It's got motorcycles (in the 80s the Japanese were obsessed/terrified by motorcycle gangs which you can see in Akira), 80s anime hair, the motorcylce turns into a mech...the whole package, assuming quality is not usually part of the package.

AD Police, the prequel OVA to Bubblegum crisis is....unique. Very Bladerunner, but with more gore. And street-racing punks getting what's coming to them. (Again with the motorcycles)

Some people really like Violence Jack. I"m not really one of them.

Starship Troopers. It's mostly more true to the books than the live-action movie. Worth a watch.

If you're into super robots (think getter robo) than Dancouga: Super Beast Machine God, might be up your alley though it's a tad generic.

Venus Wars is another 80s OVA where everything is kind of dark and nothing really gets better. It's pretty short though.

Loading Video...

The Patlabor TV show is tonally very different

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I'm going to stop shilling for Patlabor now, I promise.

EDIT: These don't fit the time line but go watch Metropolis, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paranoia Agent.

Double edit: I couldn't resist one more. I've got a problem. The second OVA is a lot like the TV show.

Loading Video...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Patlabor is incredible. They've only recently put it all out on Blu Ray. It's a little silly in places, but it's full of likeable characters and fun stories. The best giant mech show that isn't about giant mechs.

Also Macross: Do you remember love is wonderful. Good luck finding it though.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised at the lack of Miyazaki in here. Laputa Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind are arguably his two best movies. For the latter, read the manga afterwards. It's the only manga Miyazaki ever wrote and it's a bloody masterpiece of imagination and story telling.

I'll also second the Patlabor love going on. The animation style still looks amazing today.

The Wings of Honnêamise is essential anime viewing regardless of what era of anime you're into.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By monetarydread

How is it I am the first person to recommend Ranma 1/2?

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wings of Honnêamise is essential anime viewing regardless of what era of anime you're into.

Yep, this.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechanical_ape: Awesome thanks. I guess I never noticed Lupin on Hulu while scanning for anime. I'll be watching that as soon as I'm done with Kill la Kill.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Altho it is a movie ... Arcadia of my Youth (it is awesome). There´s Candy Candy , G force (aka Gatchaman) original series , Voltron , Mazinger Z , Heidi of the mountains , Remy.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#32 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Loading Video...

The sun is setting.

I remember too much about that movie even though I haven't seen it in 20-something years.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dagger of Kamui (long uncensored version) was my favorite as a kid

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By cornbredx

Outlaw Star, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Berzerk, .hack//sign (it's incredibly hard to find this one at a reasonable price- I wish they'd re-release it), Ninja Scroll, Akira, Ghost in the Shell... that's all I can think of at the moment. (I don't know if my suggestions are "pre-90s" though. I don't remember the dates of anime).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Humanity

I liked Tenchi Muyo as a younger man.

Also Battle Angel Alita OVA.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By penguindust

I'm going to second The Wings of Honnêamise, Irrisponsible Captain Tylor, anything Macross, City Hunter, Black Magic M-66 and Bubblegum Crisis (OVA series - not BGC 2040).

I am going to add the following:

Blue Seed (I saw this promo'd so many times when NGE first came out on VHS). Good alien invasion yarn, mystical girl, demon boy, etc...

Hyper Police - Action comedy that takes an unusual turn for this typical genre.

Magic Knight Rayearth - a magical girl series with giant robots. The second season is where it shines.

The Slayers (series 1 to 4) - the adventures of spellcaster Lina Inverse and swordsman Gourry Gabriev. Often very funny.

Maison Ikkoku - One of my all time favorite rom-coms, long and at times frustrating, but oh so satisfying at the end.

You're Under Arrest - A police action comedy about two female cops. Good stuff.

Project A-Ko - a fun crazy movie about a supergirl and a gadget girl at high school, oh an there may be spys and aliens and stuff.

There are others I could recommend (Touch, Yawara A Fashionable Judo Girl, Ah My Goddess, 3x3 Eyes) but they are probably more of an acquired taste.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Also the wonderfully depressing

Loading Video...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BisonHero
@turambar said:

@jiggajoe14 said:

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes might just be the greatest anime ever made.

Loading Video...

So fucking glorious.

Man, words cannot express how much I am into all the haircuts in that intro. Also, man, this guy and his fucking expression:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I would actually highly recommend Rose of Versailles, a classic melodrama set during the French Revolution and directed by one of the fathers of anime Osamu Dezaki.

Loading Video...

I watched the show recently and really enjoyed it. Plus Rose of Versailles is available on several streaming sites including on Hulu and Crunchyroll, so it is easy to watch.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny you should mention that. Years ago, keeping in mind that the only Gundam stuff I had seen was some Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed, I found some random torrent for Double Zeta. And Jesus, I couldn't make it past the second or third episode. The show barely had any time to show mechs fighting, since it was too busy showing all the wacky hijinks the child characters were getting up to. So yeah, that's probably the worst introduction possible to the mainline Gundam continuity.

Also I owned some anime DVD that had this trailer on it:

Loading Video...

And to this day, I think that music is the dopest shit ever. That wailin' late 80s sax, man. Also I like how about halfway through, the trailer stops trying to sell you on 0083: Stardust Memory specifically, and is just "Look, lemme tell you about Gundam and why it's a pretty big deal". I watched the shit out of that trailer and also a trailer for Outlaw Star (which I eventually watched and it's decent, though inconsistent).

I'm pretty sure Ryan said something on the Bombcast once about having "nostalgia for an era you weren't a part of" (if anyone has ANY idea when he might've said that, I'd be super thankful just to be sure I'm not imagining that he ever said that). And I feel that super hard with old anime, more than any other media for some reason. It's just one of those weird things where the feeling of "Wow, imagine how cool this must've been when it came out" actually feels legitimately more cool than watching modern anime that are a million times more technically complex and polished. I wonder if that feeling would actually persist if I sat down and watched a bunch of early anime, as opposed to just getting brief impressions of what they're like.

I guess I also just find it interesting to see the beginning of so many tropes and/or institutions of anime. And while there is still obviously sexy ladies in stuff like Lupin and Bubblegum Crisis, I feel like blatant fanservice wasn't quite so common back then.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@bisonhero: If you want to get into the mainline Gundam continuity I would recommend watching the original Gundam movie trilogy. They are basically compilations of the 70's TV show but re-edited, and in some areas reanimated, into three movies. Their good films and serve as a great introduction to the Gundam universe.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By eladren

Lupin is amazing.

You can't get much more 80's than Space adventure Cobra:

Loading Video...

also the best shonen ever made:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

edit: forgot Harlock everybody should watch Capatin Harlock

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GabrielCantor

@bisonhero: My biggest problem with trying to get into a lot of old anime is a bunch of it is nigh-impossible to find in any easy/legal way. For instance, I would love to watch things like Saint Seiya, Macross, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but no streaming site has them and someone did put out a boxset of Saint Seiya recently but the subtitles are some of the worst I've ever seen. Since getting back into anime this year my desire to either just watch stuff on youtube or any of many other dubious anime streaming sites, or getting torrents, is extremely low. To say nothing of the fact that so many torrents are long dead at this point.

As someone that really likes Gundam (Universal Century Gundam even more so) I actually like ZZ. To be fair, it becomes a very different show about halfway through, getting much more serious. Though I guess it does go into the 90s (and current) a bit, I can't recommend Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, Char's Counterattack, 0083: Stardust Memory, 0080: War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team and the recently released Unicorn Gundam enough.

I've tried to watch Fist of the North Star recently and while it is super cool, it can be a bit hard to watch on account of it being super formulaic, with basically the same thing happening every episode except Kenshiro kills the guy differently.

Also, while the anime is recent, the manga of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is from the 80s and the new anime is pretty damn great and was responsible for getting me to watch anime again.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always had a spot in my heart for BGC.

There are also a bunch of "pre-90s" stuff that is and should be largely forgotten mostly because it is harmless fluff. :) But Ranma 1/2 stands out in that category because it is a strange setup that I'm surprised no one has been tempted to "reboot" yet.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It blew my mind to see people recommending Cyber City Oedo, as I thought I'd seen it and hated it. It turns out what I'd watched was just 1 of the tapes from the middle of the OVA that I'd picked up at an anime convention bargain bin, and assumed it was an incoherent mess. Then again, I suppose any show would be relatively hard to follow if you only watched an episode from the middle of the series.

One thing to note about Lupin III is that there have been like 4 different shows over the years. I don't know how different they are from each other, though. It could be that the '71-'72 series leads directly into the '77-'80 series which then lead into the '84-'85 and 2012 shows, or they could be as varied as The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. What I've seen of the show was certainly enjoyable, but I don't know which run those episodes were from.

Baoh: The Visitor is a really fucking stupid movie (single episode OVA, technically), but I kind of love it. I figure a lot of that is nostalgia, but there might still be something compelling about it. It is SUPERviolent though.

Everything I said about Baoh also applies to the Devilman OVA episodes, The Birth and The Demon Bird, although it also has a ton of nudity on top of all its hyper-violence.

I was about to talk shit about M.D. Geist, but I won't out of respect for @giantstalker. I know for a fact that Devilman and Baoh are worthy of just as much trash talk and I still love them. Besides, the M.D. stands for "Most Dangerous", which is rad in my book.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got into anything that old. The oldest anime I've been into has been Outlaw Star.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'll second Ranma 1/2 and Castle of Cagliostro

Ranma has a unique premise that they where able to keep interesting throughout the entire series.

Castle of Cagliostro is straight up good adventure movie

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By reverendk

@bisonhero said:

Funny you should mention that. Years ago, keeping in mind that the only Gundam stuff I had seen was some Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed, I found some random torrent for Double Zeta. And Jesus, I couldn't make it past the second or third episode. The show barely had any time to show mechs fighting, since it was too busy showing all the wacky hijinks the child characters were getting up to. So yeah, that's probably the worst introduction possible to the mainline Gundam continuity.

Also I owned some anime DVD that had this trailer on it:

And to this day, I think that music is the dopest shit ever. That wailin' late 80s sax, man. Also I like how about halfway through, the trailer stops trying to sell you on 0083: Stardust Memory specifically, and is just "Look, lemme tell you about Gundam and why it's a pretty big deal". I watched the shit out of that trailer and also a trailer for Outlaw Star (which I eventually watched and it's decent, though inconsistent).

0083 is basically Japan's attempt at Top Gun. It's got the high speed action, awesomely bad 90s Japanese electric guitar/synth, a female advisor/scientist turned love interest with poorly written motivations, and an unapologetic homoerotic montage. It's a lot like Char's Counterattack in that it is very pretty, but the story and characters are....anime as fuck. Same goes for Macross Plus by the way. It's position as a bridge from 0079 to Zeta way after the fact doesn't help because they can't give you some kind of revelation at the end and everything just gets swept under the rug. On the plus side, they started putting out HGUC versions of the awesome grunt mechs a few years ago.

If anyone tries to watch Double Zeta...you'd better prepare yourself for when they get to Moon-moon....it's unique.

Here is a quick breakdown for gundam shows for anyone that is curious:

0079- Amazing and the movie edit is better. White base needs salt. The animation quality takes hard dives in the TV show including one "lost" episode that should remain lost.

Zeta- Good, though the movies have little bits of WAAAYYYY better animation from sections they added or redid. Everybody starts shooting decoys at each other. Everybody has autism and dies. Everybody from Jupiter is a jerk.

ZZ- Goofy and not good. EVERYTHING transforms. Direct sequel from Zeta. Neo Remix Zeon part deux in the house.

Char's Counterattack- Pretty but lacking in quality writing and you'll want to kill Quess or however you spell her name. Everyone has shield missiles. We jump a few years forward from ZZ. Neo-neo-neo-neo Zeon up to no good.

SD Gundam- This...just skip it.

0080- Amazing. Short, to the point, and you're hungry for hamburgers by the end. The first non-SD gundam directed by someone other than Tomino. Action scenes are top notch. Also the first time we go back in time to explain something (Why Amuro never got an upgraded suit) and had no main line characters from 0079.

0083- Top Gun, but way cheesier. Great mechanical design. Monsha is the main character anime deserves.

F91- Supposed to be a 50 episode TV show and it shows. The timeline moves forward again, several years after CCA. Lots of people die, one from falling shell casings. Protip: Don't shoot the guy named Iron Mask IN the mask when trying to kill him. The story pacing is a nightmare but the mobile suits are beautiful. Everybody has energy shields.

Victory- Zeta Era Tominio ain't got shit on Victory era Tomino. The timeline moves forward a bit passed F91. Autistic main character Uso "I'm holding my mom's decapitated head in this helmet" Ewin just throws gundam legs at enemy mechs all day. The final boss/superweapon is kind of horrific. Also that one girl that floats into the beam saber.... Jupiter is full of assholes still.

G Gundam- SUPER ROBOT AS HELL. G GUndam is the first alternate universe gundam and it is awesomely silly at times (the statue of liberty cannon, Windmill and Zulu Gundams) but a good fight show. People in spandex do karate in gundams based on racist japanese views of the world. Directed by the guy that did Getter Robo, Shin Mazinger and other Super Robot shows. If you watched Toonami then you'll remember this fondly. Gundam X and Wing mechs show up in the last episode.

Gundam WIng- This is the gundam people are familiar with. Started a short lived gundam craze in the US. It's not actually very good but don't tell your nostalgia that. It's basically the AU retelling of the 0079/Zeta/ZZ/CCA arc except Char has long hair. No Tomino agian.

08th MS Team- Tomino is out seemingly for good by this point (and is mad as hell) and we're back in time again and retcon how many gundams there were again. We're back to the mainline Universal Century again for better or worse. Animation is gorgeous and most of the episodes are amazing. Inspired by the Kumen arc of Votoms (Vietnam with mechs). The director died halfway through and you can see the shift in focus and style. Mechanical designs are irresistible. Most people probably remember the second to last episode with the city fight with the Gouf. Maybe youtube that if you don't have time for 12 (13) episodes. The love story is ham handed and really suffers from the director change.

After War Gundam X- Alternate Universe again. Tomino is nowhere to be seen. Basically a better version of Gundam Wing IMO. It's GTA with gundams after the apocalypse. Plus snowboarding Zaku-esque mechs. It didn't make it to it's intended run length which is unfortunate because it's take on Newtypes (the first one outside of Tomino's own UC stuff in 0079/Zeta/ZZ/CCA) is better thought out IMO. Moon lasers.

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz- It's pretty and the music is good. AU sequel to Wing.

Turn A- Tomino makes a triumphant and probably angry return to the world of Gundam and tries to tell the End-all be-all Gundam story partly through spite. It's got chills, thrills, naked boys swimming in streams, steam punk, buried mobile suits from basically every other gundam made so far and modern designs by Syd Mead. The gundam even has a sick porn stache. A guy drops into the atmosphere in a wooden barrel because people don't know how space works. It sort of ties all the other Gundams together into one universe but only sort of. There is a late episode info dump that shows clips of every other UC and AU gundam TO the main characters. It's definately unique, but despite what funimation has said in the past, it's not coming out here. It's got that 1999 computer-assisted illustration which might bug some people. Tomino is actually done with gundam after this and kind of bitter about it and makes Brain Powered. Don't watch Brain Powered.

G-Savior- A live action gundam made by Canadians. I'll let that speak for itself.

Seed- I made it through two episodes. Seems like a remix of 0079/Zeta again like X.

MS IGLOO- Bad CG but interesting sidestory/short story format for the UC timeline during the one year war. Every pilot dies at the end of their episode. The diver was my favorite. The Zeon get extra nazi-fied for this one.

Seed Destiny- It's worse than Seed as I understand it. I think it's supposed to have absolutely TONS of flashbacks even to stuff that happened in the same episode.

00- Another of the three Gundam shows I haven't been able to make it through. Some people really like it. It wasn't for me. There are space elevators and at one point aliens (a gundam first!!!!).

Unicorn- The first return to UC in a while and based on a light novel to boot, but is actually a thinly veiled nationalistic push by the author. Zeon is glorified in a weird way. Still Federation vs Neo^14 Zeon the remastered collection. I haven't watched the last two episodes (they split the last one into two) but from what I understand it's...ok. LOTS of suits fighting suits and most of them are weird variants that have never been animated before. The action is beautiful. It's after CCA but before F91 in the timeline. Bright is still around and putting up with autistic teens.

Gunpla Builders Beginning G- Alternate reality earth where Gundam models can be used to fight each other through the power of TECHNOLOGY!. Basically that game boy color game Power Battle, but with gundam. It's a short advertisement for Gundam models. Gundam just turned 30 by this point.

Gundam AGE- A disappointing but ambitious attempt to take a tv show and follow three generations of the same family as they pilot gundams. I made it to episode 5. The third generation is supposed to be the weakest. Alternate reality. It's basically Martian Succesor Nadesico with babies having babies and no 4th wall breaking or parody.

Gundam Build Fighters- OH SHIT ARE YOU NOT WATCHING THIS RIGHT NOW WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU! Basically a TV show version of gunpla builders as an excuse to throw out a bunch of references and jokes to every other Gundam series ever made while also being a very obvious ADVERTISEMENT for gundam models. Fake Ramba Raul is my favorite. They're working on a second season I think. It's on youtube with opening and closing ads for models. It's subtitled in english and a few other languages. Warning: It's very silly and still has that cringe inducing anime flavor that is in everything these days. I didn't think I'd like it until a couple episodes in. If you're new to gundam most of the jokes will go over your head though so at least watch 0079 first.

No Caption Provided

Ok so this wasn't quick. What are you going to do about it?

HOT PROTIP: The entirety of Legend of Galatic Heroes (Show, movie, Giaden) is on a single youtube channel and organized via story chronology if you want to watch it there and not on garbage VHS copies.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

A few additional shows to consider:

Gunbuster (OVA length)

Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross (Full length series)

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (Full length series)

Mobile Suite Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA length)

Agreed with all this. I'd also like to add:

Macross: Do You Remember Love

Aura Battler Dunbine

Heavy Metal L-Gaim

Kimagure Orange Road (avoid the OAV and movies until you've seen this series)

Urusei Yatsura

The Rose of Versaille

Pretty much any Super Dimensional Series. I love Macross but Mospeada was sweet too. I still need to go back and finish Orguss. Southern Cross I never completed.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starblazers all the way, breh.