#1 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

For me even though I had alot of popular games that turnout not to be worth much money. I think one of the biggest surprises was the Ps move. I remember when it was fairly new in release, but I completely lost interests in it and was about to trade it in. Until I found out that it was only worth 95 cents my expression was priceless that day, not even one whole dollar.

Samething happen to my friend who has the move aswell, and we both that it wasn't worth it so we kept it. Even though we both pretty much hate the move at this point.

#2 Posted by PopGoestheGoomba (4 posts) -

I forget the game, but it was something like 65 cents. The game was selling for $30. People should just avoid GameStop altogether. They are crooks. Sell you games on Ebay or through privately owned second hand stores. You will get more money.

#3 Edited by bigjeffrey (4778 posts) -

a Kinect for $12

Ended up selling it for $60 on ebay

#4 Edited by falserelic (5324 posts) -

a Kinect for $12

Ended up selling it for $50 on ebay

Wow, I didn't know the Kinect was only worth 12 bucks at GS.

#5 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

One cent for Pariah. They still would have got the short end on that one

#6 Posted by bigjeffrey (4778 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@bigjeffrey said:

a Kinect for $12

I didn't know a kinect was worth anything until i tried.

#7 Edited by falserelic (5324 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@bigjeffrey said:

a Kinect for $12

I didn't know a kinect was worth anything until i tried.

LOL!

#8 Edited by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Star Wars Ultimate Alliance for Ds, they offered me 25 cents. I told them no way, and then strolled over to the shelf and saw they were selling it for twenty bucks and that was when I made my decision to never trade in my games to those pirates again. True story :D

#9 Posted by Random88 (284 posts) -

In the UK we have GAME.

Back in October of 2006 when I first got an Xbox 360 it came with Final Fantasy XI as part of the bundle. I bought the bundle at a shop that didn't do trade-ins at the time so I took the sealed copy of it to the GAME that was right next to it.

They offered me 50p for it. £0.50 Which is about $0.75

I then put it on ebay and ended up selling it £13 which is about $20

#10 Posted by katimanic (92 posts) -

They once tried to make me pay them to take a game that was scratched a bit.

"this game is worth .99 cents, but there are some scratches on it, so I am going to need you to pay for the three dollar refurbishing fee"

#11 Edited by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -

@katimanic said:

"this game is worth .99 cents, but there are some scratches on it, so I am going to need you to pay for the three dollar refurbishing fee"

haha. No way. I suppose I can imagine this scenario happening by accident, but the employee must have realized his error after saying that. It just makes no sense. You might as well just crack the disc on the ground in front of them and proclaim how happy you were to save $2.

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

@random88 said:

In the UK we have GAME.

Back in October of 2006 when I first got an Xbox 360 it came with Final Fantasy XI as part of the bundle. I bought the bundle at a shop that didn't do trade-ins at the time so I took the sealed copy of it to the GAME that was right next to it.

That one is understandable. Even though your copy was new, they'll consider all games traded in as used. And a used copy of an MMO will not have the free month's subscription included. So GAME won't be able to get much for it because anyone buying it will have to pay £12 straight away on a months subscription that would be in the box if it was new.

#13 Edited by Briggs713 (214 posts) -

I once traded in several PS2 games at EB Games (Canadian Version). They told me I would need to pay them $2.00 to take my copy of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 because it was scratched (they would do some sort of cleaning to it). So, I still own a copy of THPS3.

#14 Edited by Random88 (284 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

@random88 said:

In the UK we have GAME.

That one is understandable. Even though your copy was new, they'll consider all games traded in as used. And a used copy of an MMO will not have the free month's subscription included. So GAME won't be able to get much for it because anyone buying it will have to pay £12 straight away on a months subscription that would be in the box if it was new.

Yeah, back then I was annoyed at the low price they were willing to give me but have realised since then that no one would buy an MMO used due to not including the 30-day trial that comes with a new copy and the shop would lose money or not make back a good amount on how low they need to mark it down to compensate for that.

Still found it funny they were willing to give me 50p though. Another shop I went to just flat out refused to accept MMOs as trade in even if it was sealed

#15 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Gamestop is ridiculous. Bought Rage when it came out and I wanted to trade it in a couple days after I beat it (probably the next week) and they offered me $15. Additionally, I traded several other games that I can't even express how I much regret to this day. Splinter Cell Conviction for $2.50, Assassins Creed Brotherhood for $5, BF Bad Company 2 for $2.50, and Dead Space 2 for $2.50.

Conclusion, I very much dislike Gamestop's "business".

#16 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

@deranged said:

Gamestop is ridiculous. Bought Rage when it came out and I wanted to trade it in a couple days after I beat it (probably the next week) and they offered me $15. Additionally, I traded several other games that I can't even express how I much regret to this day. Splinter Cell Conviction for $2.50, Assassins Creed Brotherhood for $5, BF Bad Company 2 for $2.50, and Dead Space 2 for $2.50.

Conclusion, I very much dislike Gamestop's "business".

One of my funniest transactions I had with gamestop that was more recent. Is when I went to trade in killzone 3 and DMC4. The surprising part is that killzone 3 is worth 2 bucks and DMC4 was 4 bucks. How the heck was a newer title worth less then an older title, it amazed me.

#17 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Sonic Tennis on the 360 for 1 NOK~16 cents. I've been trying to get rid of that thing for years and I finally got something for it. Good riddance shitty game.

#18 Edited by falserelic (5324 posts) -

Yeah, some games I might get rid of just because I don't like them, like borderlands 2. Regardless of how much I might get in return.

#19 Posted by ilovebees (75 posts) -

$.10 for Madden 97 on the PS1 when I was like 8. It was probably around 2000 or '01. He just basically said just keep it and don't bother.

#20 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@falserelic: It's all dependent on supply and demand. Games that have a higher demand will get more money. I would imagine that after DmC came out, that interest in the older games went up, and they were in more need of copies, so they offer more than a game that probably isn't in much demand

#21 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

One of my funniest transactions I had with gamestop that was more recent. Is when I went to trade in killzone 3 and DMC4. The surprising part is that killzone 3 is worth 2 bucks and DMC4 was 4 bucks. How the heck was a newer title worth less then an older title, it amazed me.

No idea, my assumption would be that DMC 4 could be lower in stock and perhaps in higher demand at this point.

#22 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

ROFLMAO plz tell me what happened after that. XD

I would have lost it in hysteria.

Fuck gamestop honestly. Can't believe people still take the lazy route and sell their games there...... You can barely call it selling when you only get credit. I used to be like that but Ebay-ing your stuff is sooooo simple. I should have started years ago.

#23 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1693 posts) -

I once traded in a bunch of PS2 games, like over 20 of them, and they only offered me around $40 for all of them. Some of them were only worth like $.50, like Oni and State of Emergency. I never trade anything in there anymore unless it's a game I just bought and didn't like.

#24 Edited by Winsord (1163 posts) -

They offered $0.50 each for F-Zero GX, Worms 3D and Go-Go Hypergrind in like 2004 (all GameCube games). I also had Blockbuster offer me $3 for Scribblenauts the day after release. Unsurprisingly enough, I don't even bother trying to sell games anymore.

#25 Posted by alanm26v5 (437 posts) -

They refused to take PSO 1+2 for Gamecube way back in the day, and I'm thankful for that, because I later found out you can do some cool homebrew code loading magic with it.

#26 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Not Gamestop, but Game gave me Tekken 4 for half price when I traded in three games. Never again.

#27 Posted by Mabui (63 posts) -

I'd not done much game trading before, and it was in the Gamecube days when I'd traded in Luigi's Mansion and got 5 dollars for it. I was so upset with myself after, I'd decided to never sell games to those places again, rather just give them to friends/family when I was done with them.

Also, I never buy used games, and when they put the game into the box, and go to hand it to me, I tell them I want a sealed copy. Since, I also know that they take games home to play them, and turn around and sell them as new, even though they've been used. I also stopped around the time they decided to put their used prices only 5-10 dollars off of new.

It's just a gross business model.

#28 Edited by Svenzon (713 posts) -

10 SEK, which is roughly $1.50, for the original Crackdown. It was three years old at the time and most GameStops I've been to have a shitload of copies in stock. During my time at GameStop, I came to realise that it's their way of saying "we don't really want that game, but if you really wanna get rid of it, sure". Right before I quit they actually started letting us deny trade-ins for low-value games. It sure felt better than offering someone 1 SEK and having to listen to them rant about it.

#29 Posted by Random45 (1045 posts) -

I've never traded a game in, mostly because I don't really think it's worth it. Seems like the comments on this thread prove my thoughts well enough.

I remember buying a DSi XL from Gamestop once though, and they just automatically took a used console off of the shelf to sell to me, but I told them I wanted to buy a new one, since I know that the revenues from used don't go to Nintendo. The guy must have asked me like 5 times if I was sure, and I constantly had to tell him, yes, yes, yes, yes I want to support Nintendo, not you guys!

#30 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

@random45: i never trade in games cause i want a big ass collection of games. like this guy

#31 Edited by Hunter5024 (5539 posts) -

Wow. I'm glad I never trade stuff in at gamestop. I have a local used book/game/movie store that I go to and they usually offer pretty fair deals. The only time I ever felt ripped off was when they offered me $16 for a psp, and that was after talking him up from 12. Wen't back the next day, got a different clerk, made $45 on the same thing.

#32 Edited by falserelic (5324 posts) -

@random45: i never trade in games cause i want a big ass collection of games. like this guy

I actually used to have a huge collection of ps2 games, almost had about 90 or more until I traded them all in.

#33 Posted by ajamafalous (11846 posts) -

I've never traded in anything to Gamestop. The sentimental value of digging old games out of the closet every 2-3 years to play them for a few hours is worth far more to me than the pocketchange they'll offer.

#34 Posted by Pudge (865 posts) -

10 bucks for my Playstation 1. What a joke.

#35 Posted by TheKing (823 posts) -

16 cents for Wii Fit.

I trade all my games in at Gamestop, they can be really good when they run a 50% trade in bonus.

#36 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2306 posts) -

Years ago I brought in some old PS2 games (Around five or six) and they offered me like $7. It really wasn't that horrible of an offer looking back but considering I wasn't that strapped for 7 bucks I declined their offer. That's pretty much the only time I've ever actually offered anything to them.

One of my friends traded in a bunch of PSP games for like 19 cents a piece so he could afford a 3DS. I still give him shit for that. Another one of my friends brought in a bunch of original Xbox titles, (Over 20 of them, and back when they were still a thing) and was offered like $15. A lot of those games were rare if memory serves me right, at least he declined.

#37 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4152 posts) -

50 cents for Tekken 5.

#38 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Where are you guys from? I never been offered lower than $1 and that was for old sports games.

I will say them only offering me like $15 for a game released a week earlier and then turning around and selling it for $55 is the lowest trade value to me. Game was a week old and only worth a 1/4th of its original price

#39 Posted by madman356647 (196 posts) -

$0.10 for Madden '06.

#40 Posted by OurSin_360 (832 posts) -

lmfao Man fuck gamestop, i haven't traded anything in to them in over half a decade. Sell that shit online, or just keep it. I remember i got Halo 3 brand new on a deal for xbox live. First they treated me like i stole the shit, which fucking floored me, then they only wanted to give me 15 bux when the shit was worth like 50 used.

Last attempt to trade anything in to them, and when i tried to go in and by the last of us a week after it released and they gave me the reserved BS, that was the last time i'm ever going to buy anything from that store period lol.

#41 Posted by laserguy (438 posts) -

they payed me to leave the store. I buy games from them that are under Five dollars. I only trade when they do a fifty percent trade in.

#42 Posted by Yodasdarkside (276 posts) -

I was recently offered 'less than a penny' for Binary Domain. The ultimate irony is that I live in Canada where the penny no longer exists.

#43 Posted by MonetaryDread (1991 posts) -

I sold my copy of Ico to EB Games for $.75.

#44 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I've never traded in a game there for less than $30.