• 104 results
Posted by mlarrabee (2964 posts) 11 months, 12 days ago

Poll: What's the 'polite' way to dispose of gum? (245 votes)

Spit into a trash can. 44%
Put one's fingers in one's mouth. 21%
SECRET THIRD ANSWER: Swallow it. 35%

Chewing gum still has a bit of social stigma, but it's no longer rare for people to chew it in a professional setting.

After the (false) rumor circulated about swallowed gum remaining in one's system for seven years, a lot of people refused to swallow their gum and chose instead to be rid of it by one of the first two poll options.

Which is the lesser of two evils, or are they both so evil that the only answer is the SECRET THIRD ANSWER?

#1 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

Spit it directly into a napkin/tissue, like a fucking human being.

#2 Posted by RonGalaxy (3171 posts) -

Spit it into a napkin and throw it into the trash

#3 Edited by audioBusting (1551 posts) -

Spit it back into the wrapping, then throw it into a trash can.

#4 Edited by mlarrabee (2964 posts) -

Who carries a paper napkin around? I certainly won't ruin my handkerchiefs with it!

#5 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

If the secret third answer is swallow it then, that's the one I pick.
Even when that dumb rumor was a thing I just went "oh cool" and did what I always do.

If that's not the answer then take it out with your finger, or that's how I do it, like a normal human being(one who doesn't have weird issues with his body that he needs to walk around with napkins/tissues 24/7)
Never spit it out though, that just leads to terrible terrible situations. A friend of mine got really drunk, he was chewing gum, when he was done with it he spat it into an ashtray...

I say "terrible" but that was actually super funny.

#6 Edited by chiablo (930 posts) -

Swallow it like a man!

#7 Edited by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

I spit it into my hand, stretch it out, and whip it as far as I can.

#8 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

Spit it out into a tissue and wrap it around the gum. Throw it away

#9 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

File off the serial number. Score the barrel with a file. Disassemble it and throw the pieces in various bodies of water.

#11 Edited by Splodge (1621 posts) -

Stick it to a football and score a goal.

#12 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

swallow it, don't listen to the fearmongers, you'll be fine. I've been swallowing gum for years, and my intestines are now both rich in rubber and minty fresh!

#13 Posted by Ares42 (2677 posts) -

If you're at the point where you worry about being polite, why are you chewing gum ?

#14 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Spread it on your teeth with your tongue and talk to people as if nothing ever happened, making sure to articulate perfectly well so they can see.

#15 Posted by Capum15 (4903 posts) -

Basically this. There's usually a tissue box around, and if not then I can just use the wrapper and toss it in the trash.

#16 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Gum is disgusting.

#17 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Just spit it into a tissue and throw it away.

#18 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (795 posts) -

Put it in someone else's mouth.

#19 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I can tell from experience that it doesn't stay in there for seven years. Your body refuses to digest it, and next thing you know, your turds smell like strawberry.

Is that a bad thing?

#20 Edited by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

@ares42 said:

If you're at the point where you worry about being polite, why are you chewing gum ?

Yup. Don't chew gum if you are trying to impress people.

If you aren't then do whatever with it.

#21 Posted by Captain_Insano (1541 posts) -

#22 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I spit my gum near parking stalls so people step into it as they leave their vehicle

#23 Posted by moondogg (202 posts) -

Go to garbage can, open mouth, let gum fall out. Is my standard practice. There is no need to spit.

Conversely, find small child smear that gum into its hair.

#24 Edited by CoinMatze (471 posts) -

If I got rid of the wrapping, I always have at least one old receipt or subway ticket in my pockets. I spit it into that and throw in the trash or keep it in my pocket until I find one.

#25 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -

-Go outside if not outside already

- ball gum up in mouth

-spit gum out just slightly in front of body

-kick falling gum into air with foot (choice of foot is up to individual)

- give middle finger to judging "mature" individuals

-repeat as necessary

#26 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Flush it in the toilet.

Oh, I thought you said "gun."

Flush it in the toilet.

#27 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (168 posts) -

Be a man, swallow your gum

(someone should make that into a WWII propaganda poster)

#28 Posted by Andorski (5311 posts) -

Go up to the closest person and spit it right in their face. Follow up by looking them straight in the eye for 3-5 seconds before giving a good laugh and walking away.

#29 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Swallowing is the highest form of politeness.

#30 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

It still has a stigma? If you still view it as unsightly you can politely eat a dick and choke on it. Jesus Christ, it's not chewing tobacco, it's fucking chewing gum. Some people grind their teeth and gum is a much safer alternative dental-health wise. Unless you're being a twat and chewing like a cow I fail to see how it interferes with your own life in any way whatsoever. Spit it out in the wrapper or in a waste basket. Boom. Problem solved.

#31 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

It still has a stigma? If you still view it as unsightly you can politely eat a dick and choke on it. Jesus Christ, it's not chewing tobacco, it's fucking chewing gum. Some people grind their teeth and gum is a much safer alternative dental-health wise. Unless you're being a twat and chewing like a cow I fail to see how it interferes with your own life in any way whatsoever. Spit it out in the wrapper or in a waste basket. Boom. Problem solved.

Fuck yeah! I like the way you tell it.

#33 Edited by TheRealMoot (382 posts) -

Walk over to a garbage can slowly and calmly. Make sure no ones looking and quietly and gently spit / press it into a napkin with your tongue and drop it in the garbage can.

It's what I've done all my life and nobody has ever complained about it.

@aykay_47 said:

@everyones_a_critic said:

Fuck yeah! I like the way you tell it.

Agreed.

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (8254 posts) -

How the fuck is this not an option?

#35 Posted by Gantrathor (210 posts) -

People swallow their gum?

#36 Posted by BeachThunder (11959 posts) -

Put it in someone else's mouth.

This is the correct answer. Wait until you see someone yawning, then spit the gum as hard as you can. If you do it correctly, they'll never even know!

#37 Posted by mlarrabee (2964 posts) -

@audiobusting said:

How the fuck is this not an option?

Because on the occasions I take chewing gum I don't keep the wrapper. I didn't think anyone did that.

#38 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

Why not use a napkin or crumple a scrap of paper and spit the gum into that?

Better yet, though, don't chew gum at all. In my opinion the sale of chewing gum should be banned.

#39 Posted by afabs515 (1087 posts) -

Spit it onto the person directly in front of you. Aim directly for the hair. If it's a member of the opposite sex, this signals your desire to mate.

#40 Edited by Hamst3r (4487 posts) -

Spit it straight up into the air and run.

#41 Edited by Vextroid (1405 posts) -

Spit it into a napkin and throw it into the trash

Exactly this. Usually the wrapper it came in, but failing that a napkin/tissue.

#42 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5055 posts) -

Save the wrapper, put it in there, roll it into a ball. Play finger soccer with the ball of gum.

#43 Edited by TreeTrunk (119 posts) -

shove it up your ass.

#44 Posted by PandaBear (1376 posts) -
#45 Posted by Gruebacca (519 posts) -

Just spit it into the trash. You aren't going to use a napkin to spit saliva into before dumping it, are you?

You know what the stigma is? It's when people put their gum under the fucking classroom desks, and that's justified.

#46 Posted by Blackout62 (1344 posts) -

Take the wrapper to your lips and gently guide the gum onto the wrapper. Remove the wrapper from your lips, close it, and dispose of it.

That said I totally just spit it straight into the trashcan.

#47 Posted by MonetaryDread (2035 posts) -

What about the real answer. Place the gum into the wrapper you took it out of, then dispose of it. Spitting it into the trash is gross, swallowing it is not healthy for you (gum = gluten and less gluten in your diet is a good thing), and putting your finger in your mouth is going to leave you with sticky fingers.

#48 Posted by probablytuna (3671 posts) -

Speaking of chewing gum, I loathe people who chew gum with their mouths open. That sound irritates me to no end.

#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13206 posts) -

Fall asleep chewing it and wake up with it in your hair.

#50 Edited by mlarrabee (2964 posts) -

What about the real answer. Place the gum into the wrapper you took it out of, then dispose of it. Spitting it into the trash is gross, swallowing it is not healthy for you (gum = gluten and less gluten in your diet is a good thing), and putting your finger in your mouth is going to leave you with sticky fingers.

I want more Sticky Fingaz in my life.