• 104 results
Posted by mlarrabee (2759 posts) 6 months, 7 days ago

What's the 'polite' way to dispose of gum? (245 votes)

Spit into a trash can. 44%
Put one's fingers in one's mouth. 21%
SECRET THIRD ANSWER: Swallow it. 35%

Chewing gum still has a bit of social stigma, but it's no longer rare for people to chew it in a professional setting.

After the (false) rumor circulated about swallowed gum remaining in one's system for seven years, a lot of people refused to swallow their gum and chose instead to be rid of it by one of the first two poll options.

Which is the lesser of two evils, or are they both so evil that the only answer is the SECRET THIRD ANSWER?

#51 Posted by Castiel (2419 posts) -

For some reason I read gum as gun. That would have been an entirely different thread and answer.

So what I was going to say was: Doing donuts while dumping into the air and then dispose of the gun in a fiery pit of awesome.

But that doesn't really make sense in this case... you should probably just spit it in the trash can.

#52 Posted by Humanity (7948 posts) -

Next up, how do pee politely? Do I just let it run down my pant leg as my tongue limply hangs out of my mouth?

#53 Edited by johnbakosh (111 posts) -
#54 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Just eat it, it's just wheat. The urban legend that it stays in your stomach for years is just BS.

#55 Edited by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7usn5Ubx61r324lio1_500.gif

#56 Edited by Daiphyer (1274 posts) -

Take it out, stick it on a peephole, and knock on the door.

#57 Posted by MB (11297 posts) -

Drop the gum and switch to mints, it's a better life.

#58 Posted by Soap (3528 posts) -

Take it out of your mouth really slowly with your fingers. Then ask the person opposite you a question and the second they open their mouth just pop it in and run away :)

#59 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

@chiablo said:

Swallow it like a man!

and have a surgery later...

#60 Edited by SharkEthic (945 posts) -
@mlarrabee said:

Who carries a paper napkin around? I certainly won't ruin my handkerchiefs with it!

Who carries handkerchiefs around? Are you 80 years old?

#61 Posted by ch3burashka (4902 posts) -

Under your chair.

Better yet, Gum Wall in Seattle.

#62 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2265 posts) -

1) Pretend to wipe you mouth with a napkin/handkerchief and deposit said gum into it.
2) Nonchalantly, put the gum between your teeth wit you mouth closed, then delicately pluck the gum between thumb and forefinger out of your mouth in one motion. (Flick the gum at a passing child or dog.)

#63 Posted by Gamer_152 (13972 posts) -

Did anyone who wasn't a kid believe that thing about gum sticking in your stomach for seven years? If you need to get rid of it there's little harm in swallowing it, and if you don't want to do that just put it in a wrapper or tissue and throw it away.

#64 Edited by Budwyzer (486 posts) -

Everyone knows, you just stick it to the bottom of a desk, table, or chair. As long as it is out of the way from people stepping on it.

It really is that simple.

#65 Edited by Stimpack (727 posts) -

Unload the clip into the air, then chuck it like in Super Hot.

Wait, I read that as Gun, not Gum.

#66 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4435 posts) -

Save the wrapper in your pocket. When you're done spit back into it and throw it into the trash can.

#67 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

@stimpack said:

Wait, I read that as Gun, not Gum.

So did I.

#68 Posted by SMTDante89 (2470 posts) -

I don't know if it's the "polite" way to do it, but I almost always put it in the original wrapper/tissue/paper towel and throw it in the trash. If absolutely none of those options are available, I'll step away from people and find a trash can and spit it out.

#69 Edited by Stimpack (727 posts) -

@brodehouse: I'm really glad I'm not the only one lol.

#70 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

Spit it back into the wrapping, then throw it into a trash can.

This is the obvious correct answer.

#71 Posted by Nightriff (4338 posts) -

Finger in mouth to wrapper of some sort and then into the trash

#72 Posted by fleabeard (135 posts) -

@psylah: And then spit the body into a trash can?

#73 Posted by RavenousJoker (50 posts) -

I tend to just put it in a napkin and throw it away.

#74 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -
#75 Edited by Ravelle (1049 posts) -

I usually just spit it out in to a bush or trashcan.

#76 Edited by notdavid (757 posts) -

Wipe the prints, sand off the serial number, and drop it down a storm drain.

#77 Posted by The_Nubster (1950 posts) -

If it's a bagged garbage can, spit it directly in. If it's a home garbage or a waste basket, as opposed to a garbage bin, grab a napkin and put it in there first before tossing it.

#78 Posted by Rafaelfc (1282 posts) -

Spit it out in a garbage can, openly like a badass, then wipe your mouth with the back of your hand and drop a badass one liner.

#79 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

Who carries a paper napkin around? I certainly won't ruin my handkerchiefs with it!

Are you a senior citizen? I thought only old people used them.

I'll admit right now I use a handkerchief every day and am constantly ridiculed for it.

#80 Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

I spit it on the street once I'm out of the building. I don't chew the gum while talking to people. If it happens that I forgot to spit the gum and I really have to get rid of it, I will be a diplomat and take distance from the trash and spit it then I applaud myself and go back to my seat.

#81 Edited by mlarrabee (2759 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Who carries handkerchiefs around? Are you 80 year old?

You wouldn't believe how useful they are.

Wiping prints from a weapon, cleaning bloody hands...

#82 Posted by egg (1339 posts) -

Who carries a paper napkin around?

"Who carries a pack of gum around?" might be a good question.

#83 Posted by Intro (1191 posts) -

Doesn't matter if you take it out with your hands or spit it, as long as it goes into a fucking trashcan. I swallow mine sometimes, see if I care lol.

#84 Posted by egg (1339 posts) -

@humanity said:

Next up, how to pee politely?

Ask a nearby police officer for assistance.

#85 Posted by Phr4nk0 (343 posts) -

@egg said:

@humanity said:

Next up, how to pee politely?

Ask a nearby police officer for assistance.

#86 Posted by bawalo (55 posts) -

I'm going to just take a stand and say that there is no harm in making it into a ball, taking it from your lips with your index finger and thumb and just dropping it into the nearest trash can. 95% of the things you touch every day are more dirty than that gum ball, and if someone looks at you funny, tell them the keyboard they are using most likely has fecal matter on it.

#87 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

People, please...stick it under a desk like it says in the Constitution. Or the Bible. It's in there!

Dropping it on to a sidewalk, preferably just outside the entrance of a building on a hot day is also acceptable protocol.

#88 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

People, please...stick it under a desk like it says in the Constitution. Or the Bible. It's in there!

Dropping it on to a sidewalk, preferably just outside the entrance of a building on a hot day is also acceptable protocol.

Placing it on a bus seat is also an alright option.

#89 Edited by Snail (8469 posts) -

Don't swallow bubble gum.

#90 Edited by Gaff (1492 posts) -

Spit it out. Then say: "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum".

#91 Edited by SharkEthic (945 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

@sharkethic said:
@mlarrabee said:

Who carries handkerchiefs around? Are you 80 years old?

You wouldn't believe how useful they are.

Wiping prints from a weapon, cleaning bloody hands...

Ever heard of bringing along disposable gloves on your criminal endeavors? Get with the times grandpa, jeez!

#92 Posted by wjb (1551 posts) -

I usually don't chew gum at work and if I do, I spit it out when no one is around or when I use the restroom. It's not that big of a deal to me because most people chew gum anyway and seem to understand. I use those strips that dissolve on my tongue if I'm worried about bad breath after lunch.

I don't swallow gum, either. It's not even the "7 years" thing; it just doesn't feel right going down my throat. I never imagined people did on purpose.

#93 Posted by mikethekilla (327 posts) -

spit it into a napkin

#94 Posted by RandomHero666 (3174 posts) -

Spit it out and kick it at someones face before it lands.

#95 Posted by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

Obviously you stick it underneath a table or plate. Gum magically disappears this way.

#96 Edited by Wolverine (4269 posts) -

When you are given a piece of gum you should keep the wrapper. When you're done with it, you should discretely take the piece of gum out of your mouth and put it in the wrapper. Then dispose of it when you pass a trash can.

#97 Posted by CaptainCody (1504 posts) -

I had no idea so many people swallowed their gum, Jesus. I feel like swallowing gum just gives that weird, "I don't to swallow this but I have to anyway" feeling.

#98 Edited by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

I spit it into my hand, stretch it out, and whip it as far as I can.

I do this. But not with gum.

#99 Edited by Hunter5024 (5170 posts) -

Find the girl you like and put it in her hair. It's sort of like penguins and pebbles.

#100 Posted by tsutohiro (346 posts) -

Spit it directly into a napkin/tissue, like a fucking human being.