• 64 results
Posted by DriveupLife (918 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: What's your opinion about Giantbomb's coop with Gamespot on Professional Wednesday's and other unannounced projects? (279 votes)

Awesome! Can't wait to see more of the gamespot crew in giantbomb videos 11%
Good! I like what they've done so far so I'm optimistic about it going forward 50%
I don't know! I'm neutral or undecided about it 20%
Not Good! I'm not enthusiastic about Gamespot and Giantbomb co mingling 13%
Terrible! Gamespot should not be in Giantbomb content. Period. 6%
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

Its more free content for me. I like Maxwell and Chris on the show. Carolyn has been getting funny!

I wanna see some fresh faces on here. ~ Fresh and more.

#2 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Seems like a few of the Gamespot guys actually have personalities and then you have some like Chris who are as white-bread and unfunny as you can get, and the only way we can get anything out of them is by having the GB guys, Ryan in particular, make fun of them.

#3 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Replace Waters with VanOrd! And then it's perfect.

#4 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I don't think we're supposed to have an opinion on this stuff, they make videos of everything and provide content, you watch what you enjoy and skip what you don't

Click on the videos and either have a good time to skip the video, it's that simple.

#5 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

I think it's pretty great. Nice to see new faces and they've been pretty fun so far. Keep it comin.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (22066 posts) -
@mcghee said:

Seems like a few of the Gamespot guys actually have personalities and then you have some like Chris who are as white-bread and unfunny as you can get, and the only way we can get anything out of them is by having the GB guys, Ryan in particular, make fun of them.

...There's the door, now go and PEACE OUT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Anywhoo while the GSUK guys are generally much funnier and more likeable, I've still often enjoyed the presence of the GSUS guys too. Tom McShea is perhaps the only one that I would go as far as to say that I dislike.

#7 Posted by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

The majority of the Gamespot people don't seem to have the personality to match the Giantbomb crew, honestly the only Gamespot person that seemed comfortable, interesting, and fit in was the ex-Lucasarts guy that got hauled in for TNT. Hopefully in time they will hit their stride and then I can see it becoming a much better show.

This mixing of content would probably have worked better if they hosted it on Gamespot.

#8 Edited by DriveupLife (918 posts) -

My take on it is that the gamespot guys need some breaking in. They'll jump into a "fun times a plenty" attitude when they're around the Giant Bomb crew and the video content will get more and more natural. Then, once everyone on camera is acting like they're at a bar or house party, the fans will be pleased.

HOLY SHIT THIS IS MY 800TH POST!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I LOVE YOU FAKE FRIENDS ON THE INTERNET!

#9 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

It's good so far and will improve over time as the chemistry between everyone gets better.

#10 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@mcghee said:

...There's the door, now go and PEACE OUT, MOTHERFUCKER.

Anywhoo while the GSUK guys are generally much funnier and more likeable, I've still often enjoyed the presence of the GSUS guys too. Tom McShea is perhaps the only one that I would go as far as to say that I dislike.

If you find Chris at all funny I have to question the cool impression I've had of you all this time.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (22066 posts) -

@mcghee: I genuinely think Chris is great! I don't think he's especially hilarious or anything, but he at the very least tends to actually know and understand games and isn't prone to broad generalisations as often as the GB staff are. There's just something very quaint and goofy about him that I find endearing. Plus he looks like a cross between Eric Stoltz and Tony Hawk, and I find that a little funny.

#12 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I don't know why GB continues to be a separate website rather than a tab on Gamespot's front page. I don't see what GB gains by ostensibly acting as a discrete site. Consolidate them, maybe it'll free up some time for anyone to make some premium content.

#13 Posted by GS_Dan (1405 posts) -

I think that most of the GS guys seem to fit in well enough and they'll only get more comfortable as time goes on.

#14 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@yummylee:

Yes, I agree that he seems to know his games and that he is very affable/nice. He is just not very interesting. He doesn't meld with the GB guys very well, like a nerdy kid trying to be friends with all the bad kids that hang out drinking and smoking by the rail road tracks (I imagine this scene in a 1980s teen movie and it is awesome in my head). But like I said, that creates entertainment of its own sort when Ryan starts giving him shit.

#15 Posted by Pazy (2592 posts) -

Personally I think every member of the Giant Bomb crew, even Alex when he shows his face, are fantastic on camera. The Gamespot crew have their high points, Ive been a fan of Kevin VanOrd for years, but they arent as natural on camera as the Giant Bomb crew.
I do, however, want them to be appear more. They all seem like really nice dudes and have their own moments. With luck time spent next to the GB crew they will be more natural.

#16 Edited by Pazy (2592 posts) -

@rebgav said:

I don't know why GB continues to be a separate website rather than a tab on Gamespot's front page. I don't see what GB gains by ostensibly acting as a discrete site. Consolidate them, maybe it'll free up some time for anyone to make some premium content.

They are two different websites, they feel totally separate and have different methods. Even the forums feel are two separate communities. I would hate to lose the 'feel' of the website and the community being just a subsumed part of another less unique place.

#17 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

I can't say I'm a fan of any of the Gamestop crew but its not like I'm offended they are on the show or anything so...like I'm absolutely neutral about it.

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (9321 posts) -

The Giant Bomb guys were Gamespot folks once, as well. I see no reason why we can't give these people a chance.

#19 Posted by donfonzie (206 posts) -

Its an interesting mix of personalities, and extra content is always appreciated. Hopefully the little quirks present will iron out over time.

#20 Posted by Excast (1029 posts) -

It's good content and generally funny. A lot of the humor seems to come from the Gamespot folks not really know how to deal with Ryan or Jeff and their brand of humor.

In wrestling terms... It's like Gamespot is modern PG WWE and Giantbomb is ECW. One is this massive entity with branches across the entire world and a fairly standard presentation. The other is smaller, brasher, with a much more loyal cult following.

But strangely enough, I think the Gamespot guys benefit more from the relationship. It gives them some more experience in front of the camera and maybe opens up both GB and GS to new fans.

#21 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@pazy said:

@rebgav said:

They are two different websites, they feel totally separate and have different methods. Even the forums feel are two separate communities. I would hate to lose the 'feel' of the website and the community being just a subsumed part of another less unique place.

Oh no, the feels.

On the plus side consolidation would mean more content in one place, less redundancy and (by extension) more efficiency. It would also allow the GB crew to specialize even more than they do now, which can only be a good thing. Keep a separate podcast and a separate forum (until people get over it) if you have to. The benefits of rolling the sites together are clear, whereas the benefits of GB remaining an entity unto itself are not.

#22 Posted by Excast (1029 posts) -

@rebgav: I guess I could see the point if you are a number cruncher only concerned about profit margin, but the reality is that people like Giantbomb because it is different. Because it a small core of guys who have developed a level of trust with their fans. It doesn't work if you just fold them in to some larger Gamespot team.

#23 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

So far so good. Some stumbling blocks (first episode was only okay because of the seeming insanity of the ShrinqWrap Supreme) but it's new. I like Chris and Maxwell the most and the others seem to just not have gotten a good "fit" with the GB crew like Maxwell/Patrick and Maxwell/Vinny were or the riffing that Ryan/Chris are capable of. Maybe we'll find a secret combination like Drew/Carolyn that is an amazing mix but we'll have to wait and see in later shows.

#24 Edited by Ramone (2975 posts) -

I think it's great. A more diverse and varied range of opinions can only be good for content.

#25 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@excast said:

@rebgav: I guess I could see the point if you are a number cruncher only concerned about profit margin, but the reality is that people like Giantbomb because it is different. Because it a small core of guys who have developed a level of trust with their fans. It doesn't work if you just fold them in to some larger Gamespot team.

Why? Do they become less trustworthy if their video or article is posted next to Gamespot content? Imagine a Giant Bomb where the staff cover fewer games that they don't care about and make more content that they do care about while also knowing that someone else is picking up the slack. That would be a bad thing because...?

#26 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2474 posts) -

I don't watch it.

#27 Posted by Gaff (1815 posts) -

It's been ok to good so far.

As with most stuff on GB, it all stands or falls with the amount of new, interesting, stupid, niche stuff released that week. Take this week's show for example: Defiance (another third person shooter MMO), Toki Tori 2, Walking Dead: the FPS, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate... And it's kind of telling that Monster Hunter was the most interesting one of the four.

Some part of me understands the need to stay somewhat on top of new releases, but another part of me wished it turned into a "What recent game have you been playing?" showcase across both sites.

Or "what game am I reviewing and how much can I show without breaking all the NDAs". I guess I can dream?.

#28 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

I think they're fine, for the most part. Chris makes for a pretty good straight man, especially as a target of all of Ryan's smack talk. Basically as long as Tom McShea never comes on camera I will be totally fine with watching the wednesday show.

#29 Posted by Nev (556 posts) -

I don't watch it, nor have any interest in watching it, but am not offended it exists. So neutral, pretty much.

#30 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3430 posts) -

I've been here before..

Is it me or does this thread seem to resurrect every Wednesday?

#31 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3066 posts) -

DO NOT WANT.

#32 Edited by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

It's the beginning of the end.

I like the Wednesday show, I just hope they don't start doing to much together or I'll actually be worried.

#33 Posted by Marokai (3065 posts) -

It's not the reason I became a fan of this site, and I would rather the identity of Giant Bomb remain as separate and independent as possible. It doesn't offend me, but I feel like this is yet another slow move toward outright consolidation.

If they came out with a merged liveshow immediately after the CBSi acquisition, I feel like there would've been much more resistance from the community to the idea. Instead, it feels like the frog is getting very slowly boiled.

#34 Edited by Solutha (37 posts) -

The Gamespot dudes can't play ball like Giant Bomb.

#35 Posted by FLStyle (4768 posts) -

It's not bad, but it's not really great either? I feel like the GameSpot people don't add anything because they're

• Lacking in personality and are trying too hard to be "serious journalists"
  • Most of the time they play games that I've no interest in
  • When they do play something I'm interested in they antagonise me by displaying how little they know about said game compared to me

This isn't necessarily their fault, but are by-products of working for a site that's the opposite of Giant Bomb. A website that I have no interest in visiting or viewing their content. Which brings us back to the whole Giant Bomb and GameSpot should be kept separate argument.

The one exception so far is the one guy who shouldn't be working at GameSpot and should be working at Giant Bomb, Maxwell, who's demonstration of Darkstalkers Resurrection showed that Jeff's and/or Vinny's and/or Brad's fighting game Quick Looks are a collective sack of shit. Not including Divekick, because that game sells itself regardless of who's playing.

#36 Edited by Barrock (3545 posts) -

Not a fan of Waters hosting. It's weird.

Also Maxwell needs to be featured each and every week.

#37 Edited by ThePickle (4186 posts) -

Watters always looks like he's trying too hard. McGinis and VanOrd are okay. Other guys bore me to tears.

But the shrink shack is awesome. For some reason, Patrick always kills it on the Wednesday show.

#38 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

To be brutally honest, I don't have a problem with the gamespot guys, well side for Carolyn (vanity taken to an unhealthy and unnatural extreme there, yeah go ahead call me a bigot). But the format is just weak. "Hey, lets go play all the video games that came out this week!" You mean aside from TNT and quicklooks; pretty much all the video content that goes up on the site? Real creative you guys.

Play something you like and run with it. Remember the Matrix ER? Or the Star Trek beta videos? What about showing off some mods? Maybe some 4-player coop? Come on

#39 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Fine with me. More videos is always good.

#40 Edited by MEATBALL (3334 posts) -

I can take or leave Professional Wednesdays, but I don't really have any issue with Giant Bomb working with Gamespot on various stuff, as long as it doesn't result in less quick looks.

#41 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

To be brutally honest, I don't have a problem with the gamespot guys, well side for Carolyn (vanity taken to an unhealthy and unnatural extreme there, yeah go ahead call me a bigot). But the format is just weak. "Hey, lets go play all the video games that came out this week!" You mean aside from TNT and quicklooks; pretty much all the video content that goes up on the site? Real creative you guys.

Play something you like and run with it. Remember the Matrix ER? Or the Star Trek beta videos? What about showing off some mods? Maybe some 4-player coop? Come on

Err....

#42 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

I think it's fine, still not quite understanding what the purpose of the show is. I personally rather they cover other things they don't normally touch instead of retreading the same releases they are going to Quick Look anyway.

I somewhat worry they are trying to to get out doing Quick Looks...

#43 Edited by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

What's wrong with Carolyn she seems like a nice person.

#44 Posted by casper_ (907 posts) -

i thinks its pretty fucking radical but maybe for the wrong reasons. i just love all the tension and rudeness (especially between chris and ryan)

#45 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

I don't necessarily have a problem with the Gamespot staff, I just don't particularly like what they do. I'm not a fan of their articles, and let's face it I came to Giant Bomb for years, and not Gamespot, for a reason. Of course, I've also been liking Giant Bomb less lately, but it's still a damn sight better than a lot of other choices.

#46 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Ok. You're a bigot and that statement is pretty fucking disgusting.

#47 Posted by prapin (32 posts) -

If I judge by the reasons and the circumstances Jeff left Gamespot, I'd say that this tells much about the credibility of current Giantbomb.

#48 Posted by Basm321 (251 posts) -

Return Ryan to his rightful seat and as host of the show! The stars will align.

#49 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

To be brutally honest, I don't have a problem with the gamespot guys, well side for Carolyn (vanity taken to an unhealthy and unnatural extreme there, yeah go ahead call me a bigot).

Wait. What? You're suggesting people undergo gender reassignment out of vanity? The fuck?

#50 Posted by drgrumbles (211 posts) -

To be brutally honest, I don't have a problem with the gamespot guys, well side for Carolyn (vanity taken to an unhealthy and unnatural extreme there, yeah go ahead call me a bigot)

You sir win the prize for being an asshat. Grats.