What's your setup for recording?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rejizzle

Hey duders. The PAX Production Panel got me wondering what people use to record videogames. We all love Giant Bomb, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who fuddles around with this stuff.

Personally, I own:

A Blue Yeti USB Mic. Vinny was right. It's great quality and easy to use. Found it at a pawn shot for $85. What a steal!

And a Diamond GC 1000 HD videocard. I knew and continue to know next to nothing about videocapture, but this works well with HDMI and component, so I'm happy.

For audio editing I use Audacity, and for Video I use Power Director 12 both of which are excellent programs in my opinion.

No camera to speak of, though I'm always looking at them.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

Capture: I only record PC games, and generally use Dxtory or Fraps for that. I haven't had a lot of luck with Shadowplay working properly.

Microphone: Samson C03U. It's a great USB mic, priced at $99.

Camera: Logitech C920. I got this to replace my LifeCam Studio that was acting up. It was about $75.

Video Editor: Premiere CS5. Occasionally I'll do a fancy effect in After Effects, and since they're both Adobe programs they play together quite nicely.

Beyond that, I record the microphone audio with Adobe Sound Forge, and process it a bit with some Voxengo VST plugins before loading the audio up in Premiere.

I record my camera video with VirtualDub and the GoPro CineForm codec. And lastly I use a 10x12 ft. green screen backdrop, a couple of desk lamps and light reflectors during recording and chroma key the background out with the Boris FX chroma plugins.

I think that's about it.

EDIT: oh and it comes out looking like this:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

^ I really want to get a green screen and lighting equipment.

Webcam: Logitech C920. It does 1080p and looks great.

Audio: A Blue Yeti microphone (I was happy when Vinny mentioned it too) and a Shure popscreen

Video Camera: Canon VIXIA HG20 + Directional Microphone. A great video camera my brother and I got refurbished before our trip to Japan in 2010. I got the directional microphone recently so I can track down The End.

Other Video: GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition + Professional Lavalier (lapel) Omni-directional Condenser Microphone for audio in certain situations (like in the car). Also have various mounts, so I can record from my point-of-view at different angles or from the windshield of my car.

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50. A fantastic brand of headphones that is recognized for being some of the best out there for the price.

Programs/Other Equipment: Open Broadcaster Software for PC, Elgato for consoles, CyberLink PowerDirector 12 for audio and video, Adobe After Effects (just started learning) and Photoshop. I use Handbrake for file compression.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Karkarov

Don't use a camera. If I did I would use my Cannon Eos.

Recording wise I use Shadowplay, I used to use Fraps but the file sizes were stupidly huge and it had a much larger impact on performance than Shadowplay does yet strangely has no quality gains. There are some games on PC shadowplay won't capture, not sure why, still have fraps for those. Non pc wise I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

Editing I use Adobe CS6 and sometimes on a rare day I run around in Powerdirector 12. I used Power Director exclusively for a long time as it is actually far more user friendly. However it got to a point where when you are doing so much stuff in the video and the files were getting so large and so long it was cracking under the pressure.

Mic wise I use a Beyer Dynamic DT250, you don't want to know what it costs. I run it through a M Audio M-Track Plus version 2.