What secondary languages do you speak and why?

• 127 results
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By WMWA
@mlarrabee

English

A little bit of Spanish

A VERY little bit of French

@DarthOrange said:

Don't forget me my droogs!

Never. All in all, I've seen six or seven of us, we globby bottles of cheap, stinking chip-oil.

I'm up for a bit of the wee ultra violence before we drop over into the korova.
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By WMWA

To be fair, the only language Im certain about is Japanese. So please, if you know any language, no matter how much, contribute!

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By jking47

Trying to learn Japanese now, getting the feel for it

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Alexandru

My first language is romanian (because I'm born there)

My second language is english (because video games).

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By WMWA
@Alexandru Always wamted to knkw something like this. im curious, what attracts you to English over Mandarin or Japanese? Familiarity of characters or what?
Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Alexandru

@wmaustin55: @wmaustin55 said:

@Alexandru Always wamted to knkw something like this. im curious, what attracts you to English over Mandarin or Japanese? Familiarity of characters or what?

I think I learned it because it's everywhere. I did study it in school, but I remember knowing english since I was 9 and I was playing Spyro 2 and Resident Evil 3 on my Playstation. I learned a lot of it because I played a lot of videogames and watched a lot of movies. School definitely helped, but I was always above the level they taught us.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I know some German, but I'm not fluent or anything.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Speak Australian, which is like English but with a much cooler accent and more swearing and double-negatives. (my apologies for the lack of spacing in this post - this site fucking sucks on the iPad and I can't remember the code to insert page breaks) Understand Serbian fluently due to my mum and and grandma, but I have this weird thing about speaking it and find myself freezing up even though I know exactly what to say. Can speak and understand German to a reasonable degree due to learning it in high school - I probably couldn't have a complex conversation, but I can typically dissect words and work out roughly what is going on. Used to speak and understand Italian really well from going out with an Italian girl in early high school, but I've lost most of that now except for counting and a few basics. Similar story with Greek.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By superfriend

English and a bit of Russian (cause why the fuck not!)

oh and a bit of Swedish too.

I always wanted to get around to learning Spanish, but for some reason I found it hard as shit.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#60  Edited By dudacles

I am fluent in Dutch (which is my native language), English and Italian. My German and French are rather good, and my Cantonese is still in full development (I'm currently) studying that.

Other than that, I dunno, I can read Latin and Ancient Greek, I guess, but that hardly counts, naturally.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By zeforgotten

First is Danish: 
Second is English because why the fuck not, everybody else seems to find it super important for some dumb reason. 

Also, understand Swedish and Norwegian because they were easy to learn 

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mandude

I suppose English would technically be my second language, with Irish being my first.

Used to know enough German to be in Germany, but it's virtually all faded now.

Rasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Rasy

My first is Danish

I do understand Swedish and Norwegian, if you know one of them you will be able to understand all of them. Can't speak them though.

Second is English, seems practical to know, and you can't get a proper education without it...

And some German, because in Denmark you have to learn German or French to get into Gymnasium (e:the danish equivalent of high school i guess).

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By Kiri90

My first is Portuguese (Brazilian).

English is my second language. I also speak Spanish, Italian (from family and studying) and a decent amount of French.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#65  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm a native Swedish speaker and I'm fluent in English, because it's pretty damn useful for a gamer...

I also have Dutch pronounciation down, show me a word and I can pronounce it perfectly. I won't have a fucking clue what it said though. My dutch experience is hearing relatives speak a lot, but generally not giving enough of a shit to try and understand it.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By phrosnite

English... because I like the way the language sounds. I'm going to learn german for that same reason... and some day... same day - japanese :D

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AlexanderSheen

My native language is hungarian and my secondaries are english and german. I learned german in school and english is just stuck on me. My father fought it's a good idea to learn german, so I can go to Germany to work.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#68  Edited By jacksukeru

English - fluent. Because it's pretty damn useful and necessary when playing videogames. Playing videogames was both a great motivator and a great help when learning the language. I remember Dune II teaching me some early phrases, like "enemy unit approaching".

I was going to try to learn Japanese, because I sure do enjoy listening to it, but ah.

Edit: Also, I watched anime on a German channel for like six months a bunch of years ago, it gave me a vague grasp of the grammar and a few words.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Sooty

I will hit conversational level in Japanese this year without a doubt. I'm making a lot of progress.

By the time I finish university I think I'll definitely be fluent, one year is spent in Japan which will be really helpful. (finishing is like 3 years off at this point)

Edit: Reason behind this is because I want to teach English and I figured being unable to speak Japanese while living over there would make for a pretty disjointed experience, also personal pride and all that.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Grillbar

English is my second language.

learned it before i started school so basically 5 years before i had to and could/can speak it pretty fluently. i still spell like shit though.

i learned it by watching movies hearing what they said read the subs and got a rough idea of what they meant also games and music helped alot.

spanish, russian: poorly.

i have periods where i either don't sleep at all or sleep very little and to pass the extra time on something useful i tried to learn it on my own.

german: decent

learned it in school.

Danish: piss poor.

when i say piss poor i mean it. its my native tounge but have an easier time comming up with some words in english and then having to translate it in my brain

Swedish, Norwegian: fair

its pretty similar to danish so its not hard i really never use it since they most of the time understand danish and if there is a word that i dont know there is always english.

so 7 in total but i really want to learn more russian, spanish and also japanese some day

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LastNinja

Primary language: Faroese

English: Fluent because of movies, friends, education, music and videogames.

Danish: Fluent with a hint of an accent - Required in public school, comic-books mostly in Danish on the Faroes, movies, friends, tv, subtitles, music and traveling.

Norwegian and Swedish: Passable tho a bit stronger in Norwegian - Due to work, public school, friends, movies, tv, subtitles, music and traveling.

Icelandic: Able to maintain a conversation at a slow pace - Due to work, movies, tv, music, friends and traveling.

German: Can read it and understand but not very strong at speaking it - Due to studying it for 4 years altogether (not my favorite class), movies, music.

Polish: Barely. Can order beer in various numbers and sizes, greetings and of course the obligatory swearing - due to work, friends and traveling.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#72  Edited By AdzPearson

Being from the UK, my first language is English. However, I've lived in Wales all my life, so I also know Welsh. I'm not good at speaking in it (it's not really needed), but I can translate it pretty well. I know bits of other languages like Japanese or Latin, but nothing compared to English or Welsh.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By Justin258

My first is English. I know it pretty damn well. I write badly worded posts every now and then because I don't give a fuck, but most of them are pretty well written.

I took Spanish from sixth grade until twelfth. I never quite mastered even putting together full sentences. A major reason for that was not giving a fuck (I'm pretty sparing with fucks), but I still pretty much gave up on learning another language.

At least I did then. These days, I actually think it would be pretty cool to be so fluent in another language as to be able to switch immediately. I would like to learn Japanese, but I've only ever met one person whom I'm certain knows it. That was in seventh grade; a Japanese person came to talk to us about Japanese culture. I was incredibly disappointed when neither anime nor manga was mentioned, and felt foolish when I asked her what Yu Yu Hakusho means and she just looked at me funny.

So, to cap off this post: I speak English well and nothing else well enough to get by.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spanish Soy buey nomames haha slang

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By superpow

My first languages are French and English.

I'm fluent in Spanish. I can speak a bit of Vietnamese, but I understand way more. I tend to make inappropriate pronunciation mistakes.

I can understand Italian pretty well.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#76  Edited By musubi

I'm pretty fluent in sarcasm.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By mracoon

I can speak Urdu semi-fluently but I have the reading level of a child and can only write my name. My mum's Pakistani so I learnt from her.

I studied Spanish at secondary school but I hardly remember any of it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By BoG

Spanish: God wanted me to speak Spanish. I don't like to say that I'm fluent, but I speak a whole lot better than a lot of people who do consider themselves fluent. I'm a Spanish major at my university.

The next two I don't speak very well at all.

French: I studied French for three years in high school. Oui.

Catalan: I want to go to Barcelona.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Seesic

I'm decent in french (seeing as I never use it) I can read far better than I write at this point. When I stopped I could read plays (like Huis Clos) and understand most things.

I am alright at japanese, can read and write and use particles but relatively no Kanji. I am no where near fluency levels but I'm working on that.

I took a semester of latin and continued learning it for a bit, but that doesn't really count for much.

I know a very minimal amount of spanish words

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By excido

Luo and Swahili are my first and second languages, English is my third. I was born in Kenya and moved to NYC when I was four years old. I don't have a Kenyan accent but still speak my native languages.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

@Rasy said:

And some German, because in Denmark you have to learn German or French to get into Gymnasium.

Here in the US you also have to speak French to work out, it's annoying.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By intro

3 years of Spanish. I can tell if you're talking shit about me or not. I know some basic stuff which actually I found could help me while I was in Key West, FL.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Spoonman671

If you kicked me out of a plane over Italy with a parachute, I could get by.  And then I would hunt you down and splay you like the cur that you are.

EDIT: This means I also know a little Spanish because Italian and Spanish are secretly the same language.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Karl_Boss

I only speak English......I want to learn Mandarin Chinese though.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MikeGosot

I know Portuguese, because i'm Brazilian. And English because video games.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Patman99

@SmilingPig said:

First language is french(canada)

Second language is English cuz french movies sucks.

Truer words have never been spoken. Bien dit, mon ami! Pour la plupart, toute les films Canadiens sont vraiment horrible.

Yeah, I speak English and French basically because I am a Canadian and my father's side is completely francophone. I feel that OP is awfully liberal with declaring he is fluent in a language. I mean, I would never consider myself completely fluent in any language other than my mother tongue (English) and I have been speaking French since I was a baby. I've also been studying Ancient Greek throughout my years in university and have a fairly ok grasp of reading in that language.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mandude

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

@Rasy said:

And some German, because in Denmark you have to learn German or French to get into Gymnasium.

Here in the US you also have to speak French to work out, it's annoying.

I can't tell if you are joking or not. :(

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Korean- I'm Korean.

French- Learned it for 9 years in school. Can't even speak it.

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By plasticstars

German, because it seemed like an interesting language and it fulfilled my language credit requirements, and French, because I'm Canadian.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#90  Edited By EuanDewar

I took Spanish in high school and have retained a bit of that, an ex taught me some French (no not like that, shoo).

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By Mastercheesey

My first language is english but I can read french. They talk to fast for me to understand the words.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By downtime58

@Mastercheesey said:

My first language is english but I can read french. They talk to fast for me to understand the words.

Same for me - couldn't speak it properly because I simply don't use it enough either. But reading it, I can get by pretty good.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#93  Edited By beargirl1

French because it's pretty much required here in Quebec

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By mikemcn

I speak american

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#95  Edited By KillyDarko

First language is Portuguese, cause hey, I'm from Portugal.
I'm perfectly fluent in English cause I don't know, I guess I was good at it in school ^^
I can also speak some Spanish and some French; but just enough to understand what someone's saying, not to have a proper conversation.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By hockeymask27

French- forced to in quebec.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#97  Edited By Hector

Spanish...grew up in a spanish speaking home.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#98  Edited By Sliced_Bread

German - Took two years in high school, remember enough to order ice cream and get in trouble

Italian - Started learning two weeks ago, already better than my German

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#99  Edited By Vinny_Says

Fluent in 3 languages, and I mean fluent; not "I took 3 years of spanish" like some people here.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By BoG

@Vinny_Says said:

Fluent in 3 languages, and I mean fluent; not "I took 3 years of spanish" like some people here.

It's funny, I tell people I'm a Spanish major, and they'll tell me they're fluent in Spanish (or vice-versa). I don't consider myself fluent at this point, but when I have a conversation in Spanish with these "fluent" people... I wish there were some standard of fluency.