#1  Edited By Jrinswand
Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jrinswand

Now that I've grown a circle beard and started shaving regularly (25 is a good time to start, right?), I've needed to get a really close shave. To that end, I bought one of these suckers:

No Caption Provided
It should come in the mail tomorrow. We'll see if I chop my face off. 

What do you guys use? And why?
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually just a beard trimmer because I like the stubble look (and also it takes like less than a minute.) Every now and then I use a razor with multiple blades if I wanna look clean shaven.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

I use a Gillette Fusion. I feel like a complete retard, because I know how phenomenally overprices the blades are. Evidently being properly shaved is more important to me than my dignity.

EDIT: Let me know how that is though, I'm open to new horizons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Dollar shave club bitches!

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By audiosnow

Mutli-blade.

My three hundred dollar electric sits in the drawer. Stelar use of that money.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jrinswand
@nintendoeats said:

I use a Gillette Fusion. I feel like a complete retard, because I know how phenomenally overprices the blades are. Evidently being properly shaved is more important to me than my dignity.

EDIT: Let me know how that is though, I'm open to new horizons.

Yeah, I'm hoping that the whole safety razor thing works out. I don't really see why it wouldn't, other than the fact that I'm going to be scraping a sharp-as-fuck razor across my face.

One of the things I've heard about shaving with a safety razor, though, is that it's much less expensive in the long run. Once you buy the razor, you really only have to pay for blades, a brush, and the occasional shaving products. Razor blades are like $0.09 instead of $20, like the disposal multi-blade packs.
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JZ

Hammer

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By mustachioeugene

@Jrinswand:

get ready for an awesome shave, just make sure you don't skimp on the quality of your shave cream. I found a really great non-aerosol cream by Florena which works up to a nice lather with a hog hair brush and cup.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jams

man I really need to trim my mustache. It's grown over my upper lip completely and I just end up chewing on it.... maybe I'll do that later....

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Patman99

Electric Razor because I am a lazy bastard. However, it never really does the best job, so I generally do a quick once over with a disposable.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Butler

@Jams said:

man I really need to trim my mustache. It's grown over my upper lip completely and I just end up chewing on it.... maybe I'll do that later....

Don't! You're getting one of the greatest gifts a man can attain. A handlebar mustache! I have harnessed the power of this mighty beast with my facial fists of hair and let me tell you from atop of Man Mountain "The view is great!"

On a related note.

Scissors and a comb.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Neonie

I have an electric razor but it's to slow as shit so I use multi-blade and save the electric one for getting rid of side-burns and shit. I don't want to be spending more then a minute or two shaving. I wish the hair just wouldn't grow it's gross.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By aurahack

Disposable. I grow a really shitty beard, so it's pretty easy to shave when I need to. I used multi-blades for the longest time until I realised there wasn't any benefit at all versus a disposable blade. Been sticking with that for a couple months now and it's worked wonderfully. Super cheap, too.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By wafflez

Its both fortunate and a shame that I cannot grow a manly beard of my own. But I shave probably once a week. I use a safety razor and a brush with shaving soap. I've used cartridge based razors which are hella expensive. Electric razors are just a waste of my time. And disposables I only use for my neck. Safety razors are ridiculously cheap (I paid.. 15$ for a 100 blade count.. each blade lasts a handful of shaves) and I get a nice clean shave. It takes a few passes, so if you're in a constant hurry, it might not be for you. I'm interested in a straight razor, but I dunno, the danger factor seems a bit more than I want to deal with.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Disposable.

I only have to shave about once a month though (don't laugh, my inability to grow a beard is something I am sorely ashamed of).

I see no need to get anything fancy.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jrinswand
@mustachioeugene said:

@Jrinswand:

get ready for an awesome shave, just make sure you don't skimp on the quality of your shave cream. I found a really great non-aerosol cream by Florena which works up to a nice lather with a hog hair brush and cup.

Yeah, I got one of theseto go along with my razor. I'm sure all this stuff will get the job done.

I spent years trying to grow a beard but it doesn't grow in thick enough on my cheeks and I'm not a huge fan of having a neckbeard, so I decided to grow a circle beard. I think the look really suits me, but now I have to shave almost every day. Nobody ever told me that having facial hair is so much work.

Edit: For reference, until now I haven't ever shaved more than once a month since I was probably about 18, or whenever I graduated high school. It's not that I don't grow thick facial hair, it's just that I've never really given a fuck. LOL.
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By frankfartmouth

I use clippers and just buzz it down to a shadow every week or so. I hate fucking shaving.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

@xobballox said:

Usually just a beard trimmer because I like the stubble look (and also it takes like less than a minute.)

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bane122

If I don't feel like messing with it too much I'll use my beard trimmer, if I want to get it good I have a Gillete multiblade. I don't have to shave very often at all so I can get one razor, which comes with two blades, and that'll last me a year or so. I then just get a new razor when the second blade is done. Fuck buying replacement blades.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Trilogy

Schick Hydro razor. I was really tired of my face hurting after every shave so I started using it and the matching shaving gel. The razor has this strip above the blades that secretes aloe which soothes the skin.

Yea, I realize I sound like a pansy, but whatever, no more burn and irritation.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Karl_Boss

Some cheap ass trimmer.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jams

@Butler said:

@Jams said:

Don't! You're getting one of the greatest gifts a man can attain. A handlebar mustache! I have harnessed the power of this mighty beast with my facial fists of hair and let me tell you from atop of Man Mountain "The view is great!"

On a related note.

Scissors and a comb.

I'm too scared I'm going to mess it up! My dad messed his up once and he looked like john waters. Then he had to shave it off to fix it and he looked like my aunt. I CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE MAN! I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE MY AUNT!

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jrinswand
@Jams said:

@Butler said:

@Jams said:

On a related note.

Scissors and a comb.

I'm too scared I'm going to mess it up! My dad messed his up once and he looked like john waters. Then he had to shave it off to fix it and he looked like my aunt. I CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE MAN! I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE MY AUNT!

How can you mess up a mustache so badly that you look like John Waters? That doesn't even make sense.

On another related note, I have never seen my dad without a mustache. The only picture I've even seen of him without a mustache was from his high school yearbook or something.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jams

@Jrinswand said:

@Jams said:

@Butler said:

@Jams said:

On a related note.

Scissors and a comb.

How can you mess up a mustache so badly that you look like John Waters? That doesn't even make sense. On another related note, I have never seen my dad without a mustache. The only picture I've even seen of him without a mustache was from his high school yearbook or something.

You just keep trimming it until oh shit I think I trimmed it too much.

then

No Caption Provided

weirdville population, your face

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Flappy

I'm a young dude with a young-lookin' face, so it's only natural that I keep my facial hair to a minimum. Disposable razors help keep the pedostache away!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stonyman65

I use some little Norelco beard trimmer that I got in walgreens for like $20. Had it for like 5 years now. Probably the best $20 I spent.

I have a really thick beard, so I can't shave it off unless I trim it down to stubble first. I usually use the trimmer, and then take off whats left with a disposable 3-blade Gillette.

I've tried pretty much every electric shaver there is, and most of your name-brand razor out there. The only thing I've used that works was the Gillette Mach 3.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Samaritan

Right now I'm using a Gillette multi-blade razer/trimmer hybrid... thing. It's just really convenient to use in the shower, but I've also got a safety razor and badger brush that I'd use every day if I had the time. Safety razors are ill!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mandude

A terribly overpriced Gillette Fusion Stealth Power Deadly Virility Masculine.

No wait; a chainsaw.

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xerxes8933a

What if I use a multi-blade disposable? I pick them up from Costco, cost like a buck each and have 3 blades. Each lasts about a week.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jrinswand
@Xerxes8933A said:

What if I use a multi-blade disposable? I pick them up from Costco, cost like a buck each and have 3 blades. Each lasts about a week.

That counts as "disposable" in this case. The "multi-blade" option up there refers to razors like the Gillette Fusion, where you have to continually buy a bunch of replacement cartridges.
mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mikeeegeee

I use a safety razor and a beard trimmer.

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KirePDX

@Jrinswand: I switched to a safety razor a month ago, based on this article from The Wirecutter, and have been really enjoying the experience. Previously, I used the Gilette 3-blade disposables with a brush, soap and handle kit from Art of Shaving; but I got fed up with the cost. I'm really excited that I was able to make a $35 investment that could save me money for the rest of my life...oh, and I like the shave I get with my Merkur.

I'm still working on my technique, so I can't say the safety razor gives me a better shave than the cartridges did; but it's just as good. One resource I found useful were videos from Mantic59 on YouTube. He's a kind of weird looking dude, and the videos are over-produced, but he has good advice on how to shave with a safety razor (don't put pressure on the head of the razor, let the blade do the work; find the right angle by pressing the top of the razor against your, then angling down until you feel the blade 'catch' (about 30 degrees)), etc.).

One other thing I've been doing is just using some baby oil on my face before I apply the lather. I don't know if it actually helps, because i haven't shaved without it, but it seems like a good idea in general.

The most important thing I've learned so far, though, is that you don't have to be totally gentle. The blade won't cut you just by touching your skin. Just, you know, don't do lateral movements...that will cut you. But segment your face by the areas where you can go straight up or down with the razor and you're good.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LikeaSsur

I wish I could be as manly as Vinny and use a straight razor, but alas, I am only manly enough to use a multi-blade. Also? Shave your whole beard or don't. I can't stand this "peach fuzz" look that seems to be all the rage.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ghost_cat

If you are talking about broken glass and shards of rusty metal, then disposable razors.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jrinswand
@KirePDX said:

@Jrinswand: I switched to a safety razor a month ago, based on this article from The Wirecutter, and have been really enjoying the experience. Previously, I used the Gilette 3-blade disposables with a brush, soap and handle kit from Art of Shaving; but I got fed up with the cost. I'm really excited that I was able to make a $35 investment that could save me money for the rest of my life...oh, and I like the shave I get with my Merkur.

I'm still working on my technique, so I can't say the safety razor gives me a better shave than the cartridges did; but it's just as good. One resource I found useful were videos from Mantic59 on YouTube. He's a kind of weird looking dude, and the videos are over-produced, but he has good advice on how to shave with a safety razor (don't put pressure on the head of the razor, let the blade do the work; find the right angle by pressing the top of the razor against your, then angling down until you feel the blade 'catch' (about 30 degrees)), etc.).

One other thing I've been doing is just using some baby oil on my face before I apply the lather. I don't know if it actually helps, because i haven't shaved without it, but it seems like a good idea in general.

The most important thing I've learned so far, though, is that you don't have to be totally gentle. The blade won't cut you just by touching your skin. Just, you know, don't do lateral movements...that will cut you. But segment your face by the areas where you can go straight up or down with the razor and you're good.

I did all that research as well. LOL. The reason I opted for the Edwin Jagger razor over a Merkur is simply because I liked the look of the black handle over the Merkur's chrome. One of the reasons that I wanted to switch over to a safety razor is that I've never really been able to get a good shave on my neck using a multi-blade or electric razor. I'm hoping that I'll learn to get a really close shave with a safety razor. 

@LikeaSsur said:

I wish I could be as manly as Vinny and use a straight razor, but alas, I am only manly enough to use a multi-blade. Also? Shave your whole beard or don't. I can't stand this "peach fuzz" look that seems to be all the rage.

While "peach fuzz," as you put it, looks stupid, you're excluding a wide variety of facial hair styles. What about circle beards? Mustaches? Goatees? Chinstraps? Van Dykes?
ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@xobballox said:

Usually just a beard trimmer because I like the stubble look (and also it takes like less than a minute.) Every now and then I use a razor with multiple blades if I wanna look clean shaven.

This. I don't have the time to shave, and the stubble does look nice sometimes.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Branthog

None, usually. My schedule is too unpredictable and complicated to make a point of shaving every day, so I've resigned myself to a beard and just shaving it all off a couple times per year.

gregispurple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gregispurple

@Jrinswand: You are about to start doing things right. Get yourself a good cake of soap. DON'T RUSH THE PROCESS. It is not like using a multi-blade razor there is no pulling of the hairs. I have three cakes of Col. Conk shaving soap I ordered coming in tomorrow.

I have the best girlfriend.
I have the best girlfriend.
myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By myniceicelife

Since not having a job for over a year requires me to not have to shave with a razor (gone over a year without having to buy any razors!) I tend to just use a beard trimmer since I have to trim the facial hair that I do have from time to time anyways. Sometimes I'll use a multiblade razor or a electric razor, but that's on rare occasions that I want to look nice.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By beeftothetaco

You forgot to add "Knife" to the choices,

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Miketakon
No Caption Provided
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By musubi

When I do shave I use a good ol' multi-blade Gillette razor. However the things are so damn expensive and I actually likes my beard that shaving is a rare occurance.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bybeach

Use a beard trimmer. Keep it close to my face. It satisfies my laziness, and I use a disposable (multi) blade razor for the neck and under the jaw every 2-3 days. That's been my pattern forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No beard trimmer?! /shame

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Scissors, because super sparse facial hair.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Dreamfall31

Multi-blade, though I have trouble getting the underside of my chin as smooth as the rest of my face so I was looking for alternatives.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aetheldod

E) because I dont shave really ... only reduce the length of the hair :D

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers