• 131 results
#101 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Flame thrower. Only need to use it once and you never have to worry about needing to shave again!

I just use whatever cheap razors I can find in as big of a bulk bag as they have on the shelf. I have tried dollar store razors and expensive 5,000,000,000,000 blade ones and I feel like I get the same shave. The only difference I found is some times the more expensive ones you could use a few more times before throwing them out, but I have had cheap ones last just as long too so who knows.

#102 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@Ravenlight said:

You should consider starting a shaving blog. :D

@Jrinswand said:

I have never been able to effectively go against the grain on my neck, especially around the Adam's apple.

I have sort of the same problem. The grain turns into sort of a crazy cyclone pattern on the right side of my neck. I'm pretty much resigned to just cutting the crap out of that spot every time I shave.

1.) Nah, I don't really care that much. I just have really bad A.D.D. and tend to get super into new hobbies/interests.

2.) Also, the direction of my grain is fairly predictable, but my facial is just so thick (I mean the thickness of the individual hairs, not just the amount) that they don't really offer any give.
#103 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

@Oscar__Explosion said:

Okay so I have a question. To those who currently use or have used disposable razors, how often should you throw it away and use a fresh one?

No hard rule on time. It's something you kind of need to feel for yourself. If I'm using one of the multi bladed ones then I throw it out when the hair build up in between the blades gets too thick to clean out. I do my best to keep it clean while shaving but no matter what I do at a certain point I just can't keep in between them clean. That or when the blade gets dull and you are having a hard time shaving.

Honestly, you can really keep using them even when they are considered throwing out time. I remember watching WW2 documentaries as a kid and them talking about how some soldiers in prison camps had to share a single disposable razor among all of them for years at a time. So really just use your own judgment. I base mine on if it can still cut and if it looks like a Wookie just got done using it when I pick it up to use.

#104 Posted by Sergio (2258 posts) -

No bowie knife option?

#105 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

I have to shave every day to keep it under control and I've gotten so lazy that I just have to use an electric razor.

#106 Posted by Sanity (1951 posts) -

Disposable, but i only grow a mustache, cant grow a beard.

#107 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I have a safety razor that looks exactly like the one in your picture. It's the most amazing shave I've had and I don't get awfully sore skin after I shave anymore :)

#108 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5154 posts) -

Multi-blade razor. Tried the electric razor but it sucks.

#109 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I shave with a rock.

#110 Posted by Sursh (242 posts) -

disposable.

my facial hair genetics are fucking weird. it grows perfectly fine on my left side, but my right side always turns up patchy.

#111 Posted by Weird_Pete (23 posts) -

I have spent the better part of three days looking into DE Safety shaving and am about to spend a couple hundred to get whiskers deep into this rabbit hole. JFC! My wallet (and likely my wife) curse this thread for releasing the beast within my beard.

#112 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

Multi-Blade at the moment but i want to get a straight razor. As Vinny puts it, you can slit someone's throat if ever the need arise.

#113 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -
@Weird_Pete said:

I have spent the better part of three days looking into DE Safety shaving and am about to spend a couple hundred to get whiskers deep into this rabbit hole. JFC! My wallet (and likely my wife) curse this thread for releasing the beast within my beard.

Wait, what? I only spent $60 and I'm set on shaving materials for a long time to come. Are you buying some sort of insane collector's item razor or something?
#114 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

Use a beard trimmer (sometimes a hair trimmer) to maintain most of it, and a safety razor for the neck. I used to just use a electric or a Gillette, but as I got older the Gillette started to really destroy my neck. Moving to a safety razor and actual quality shaving cream (especially nothing out of a spray can) is one of the smartest things I've ever done. Really tempted to try out a straight razor.

i'll never understand how people can just use a disposable without shaving cream.

@Weird_Pete

said:

Wait, what? I only spent $60 and I'm set on shaving materials for a long time to come. Are you buying some sort of insane collector's item razor or something?

you would be surprised how much a good soft brush that doesn't fall apart on you would cost. that or neither of use looked in the right places.

#115 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3790 posts) -

Schick Hydro 3, shitty razor. Its alright. I'm starting to hate Barbasol though.. King of Shaves gel is just hard to find.

#116 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -
Merkur 34C Double-bladed

Shaving is an art.

#118 Posted by Weird_Pete (23 posts) -

@jrinswand: You can get the DE shown in the WIRED.com article for $35 and a set of blades for $15 and you're set if you want to be. There are tons of other things to consider for the 'full experience.'

Shaving Brush, soaps, creams, pre-shave, after-shave, post-shave lotion, a stand, a mixing mug...

Check out West Coast Shaving to get a full array of local products

Honestly if I were to drop the $225 to get a decent 'all of the above' that would last a long time I could get a high end electric. With a high end electric you probably have to buy the self-cleaning liquid and in its place you have to buy soaps and creams so It's probably all moot.

I already feel slightly hassled by shaving and it does take longer to shave with a DE so this might not be the best option just to save a few bucks. And I have to consider that I will always shave at night since I shower at night so I don't really want to hassle myself more to possibly smell better and have a possibly closer shave just to share it with my pillow.

To learn how to spend hundreds of dollars on a brush go read the Badger and Blade forums. Just Wow. I could talk for hours on something I only theoretically know about :)

#119 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

Merkur 34C Double-bladed

Shaving is an art.

I use this exact handle, with good platinum coated razors, alongside a Remington trimmer.

Also, in case folks here don't know about it, I highly recommend using beard conditioners. I just started a couple of months back and it's changed my god damned life. I look 100% less homeless now.

#120 Edited by deadmoscow (268 posts) -

If there's one thing in this world I can do exceedingly well, it's growing a beard. Right now I'm in a bit of a Rasputin phase, but when I'm keeping things trimmed up and clean, I have an Edwin Jagger safety razor I use with some Feather blades. Every time I shave it's like niiiiiice

#121 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@jrinswand: You can get the DE shown in the WIRED.com article for $35 and a set of blades for $15 and you're set if you want to be. There are tons of other things to consider for the 'full experience.'

Shaving Brush, soaps, creams, pre-shave, after-shave, post-shave lotion, a stand, a mixing mug...

Check out West Coast Shaving to get a full array of local products

Honestly if I were to drop the $225 to get a decent 'all of the above' that would last a long time I could get a high end electric. With a high end electric you probably have to buy the self-cleaning liquid and in its place you have to buy soaps and creams so It's probably all moot.

I already feel slightly hassled by shaving and it does take longer to shave with a DE so this might not be the best option just to save a few bucks. And I have to consider that I will always shave at night since I shower at night so I don't really want to hassle myself more to possibly smell better and have a possibly closer shave just to share it with my pillow.

To learn how to spend hundreds of dollars on a brush go read the Badger and Blade forums. Just Wow. I could talk for hours on something I only theoretically know about :)

As I've said elsewhere, for $60 I got a nice double-edge safety razor, a pack of razors, a badger hair brush, a mixing mug, non-glycerin shaving soap, and a stand for the brush/razor. That's literally all I'll ever need to shave for the rest of my life. That's a far cry from $225 and it's guaranteed to produce better shaves for a longer period of time than any electric razor.

If there's one thing in this world I can do exceedingly well, it's growing a beard. Right now I'm in a bit of a Rasputin phase, but when I'm keeping things trimmed up and clean, I have an Edwin Jagger safety razor I use with some Feather blades. Every time I shave it's like niiiiiice

I should be getting a sample pack of blades in the mail later today. I'm going to be trying out the Feather blade as soon as I get it in.

#122 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1227 posts) -

#123 Edited by Weird_Pete (23 posts) -

As I've said elsewhere, for $60 I got a nice double-edge safety razor, a pack of razors, a badger hair brush, a mixing mug, non-glycerin shaving soap, and a stand for the brush/razor. That's literally all I'll ever need to shave for the rest of my life. That's a far cry from $225 and it's guaranteed to produce better shaves for a longer period of time than any electric razor.

Oh I know that you can get in on the cheap. There are shaving sets that come with all of that which may be what you were describing. Personally, I tend to go for higher-end products which is my downfall. Hence the inflated prices.

Merkur 38c Long Barrell ($55)

Blade sampler ($15)

SOA Boar Brush ($45)

Chrome Stand ($15)

Black Porcelin Mug ($37)

Proraso Shaving Cream ($15)

Tabac Shaving Soap ($20)

This is excluding the pre/post shaving lotions and aftershave which made up the rest of the dough. I know I don't need all of this and I know that I don't need both soap and cream but that is the level i'd be looking to get in at with the variety that i'd desire.

The only reason I brought up the electric was because a buddy of mine bought one today. I've never really used an electric. I'm still on the fence with it all. I have a pack of cartridges left so I have a while before I have to reload.

Cheers!

#124 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Oh I know that you can get in on the cheap. There are shaving sets that come with all of that which may be what you were describing. Personally, I tend to go for higher-end products which is my downfall. Hence the inflated prices.

Merkur 38c Long Barrell ($55)

Blade sampler ($15)

SOA Boar Brush ($45)

Chrome Stand ($15)

Black Porcelin Mug ($37)

Proraso Shaving Cream ($15)

Tabac Shaving Soap ($20)

This is excluding the pre/post shaving lotions and aftershave which made up the rest of the dough. I know I don't need all of this and I know that I don't need both soap and cream but that is the level i'd be looking to get in at with the variety that i'd desire.

I see. You probably should have mentioned this stuff before, as the $225 price you mentioned is absolutely ridiculous, even if you were to approach traditional wetshaving as more of a hobby than a necessity, and I'd hate for you to turn any potential wetshavers away with artificially inflated prices.

I'd just like to point out that $45 for a boar hair brush (which isn't even the most preferable brush - most people tend to enjoy the badger hair brush more, and you can get a Tweezerman for like $10 on Amazon) and $37 for a shaving mug are likewise absurd. And all that's not to mention the extra $20 you added by calculating in the price of a cream and a soap. That's a solid $100 you've added on to the price of admission, neglecting even the more expensive Merkur razor you would be opting for.

#125 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

@stonyman65: Agreed on Mach 3. For some reason most other options either give me anywhere from neck burn to bloody mess.

Sucks stubble looks horrible on me or I'd prefer to just use an electric trimmer.

#126 Edited by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Thanks to this thread I went out and bought a Merker safety razor after using a Gillette fusion for most of my life because the handle came free in the mail. I've only used the Merker once so far because I only need to shave a couple times a week really, but after just that one time I highly recommend it! I had none of the usual post shave discomfort and now I'm going to look into some decent shaving soaps and stop using the gels.

#127 Posted by bennyboy (329 posts) -

I used to use an electric razor but lost the charger so now I just use the same crusted mach 3 disposable razor over and over again until theres too much old hair blocking the blade. Then, if I can't remove the old hair by banging it against the counter repeteadly, I throw it away, grab a new one, and repeat the process.

#128 Posted by Hunter5024 (5973 posts) -

I use clippers, because I don't give a fuck.

#129 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Thanks to this thread I went out and bought a Merker safety razor after using a Gillette fusion for most of my life because the handle came free in the mail. I've only used the Merker once so far because I only need to shave a couple times a week really, but after just that one time I highly recommend it! I had none of the usual post shave discomfort and now I'm going to look into some decent shaving soaps and stop using the gels.

That's awesome, duder! If I've made one convert then I've done my duty. LOL.

#130 Posted by deadmoscow (268 posts) -

I should be getting a sample pack of blades in the mail later today. I'm going to be trying out the Feather blade as soon as I get it in.

Feathers are serious business. I'm a deft hand when it comes to going against the grain and these things cut the everloving shit out of me the first time I used them. Although they definitely gave me the closest shave by far when compared to the other brands I've tried.

#131 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@jrinswand said:

Feathers are serious business. I'm a deft hand when it comes to going against the grain and these things cut the everloving shit out of me the first time I used them. Although they definitely gave me the closest shave by far when compared to the other brands I've tried.

Oh yeah, I can't go against the grain on my neck at all already (unless I want to hack the shit out of my neck). I've heard that Feathers are good for this, though, because they're so sharp that as long as you're going with the grain and across the grain, you don't really need to go against the grain.

Hmmm, that reminds me of a song:

#132 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

I've used electric razors before and none of them got me as close a shave as I like. Unfortunately my neck beard is all that really grows fully and I fucking hate having one, so I shave every other day to prevent that. Gillette disposables get the job done unless I let it grow too long in which case my shave job looks like I got in a fight with a lawnmower...

#133 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

fusion, it's alright. i barely can grow a beard.