#1 Edited by super2j (1666 posts) -

So I am 23, i realized that a lot of what I do now is what i could do if I am old and frail. I am too comfortable, I need to put myself out there and do some things. If travelling is involved in order to do the activity that is fine, but I would rather not have travelling be the activity. In my mind I am thinking: join an adult sports team (for fun), properly learn to swim, Skydiving, maybe fix up a car (i could do this when older but the experience could be very informative and help me when I am older), go camping (hunting, orienteering), fighting(?). I can tell I am not thinking outside the box, that is where you guys can help. Any cool ideas?

I would like to be able to use what I have experienced and be able to tell my future kids all about the sick awesome things I did, instead of playing videogames.....Like Drew! man I should ask Drew also, that dude is living life!

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Masturbate.

#3 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1993 posts) -

Cocaine.

#4 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Enjoy it while you can, basically.

#5 Posted by Fallen189 (4980 posts) -

@super2j said:

So I am 23, i realized that a lot of what I do now is what i could do if I am old and frail. I am too comfortable, I need to put myself out there and do some things. If travelling is involved in order to do the activity that is fine, but I would rather not have travelling be the activity. In my mind I am thinking: join an adult sports team (for fun), properly learn to swim, Skydiving, maybe fix up a car (i could do this when older but the experience could be very informative and help me when I am older), go camping (hunting, orienteering), fighting(?). I can tell I am not thinking outside the box, that is where you guys can help. Any cool ideas?

I would like to be able to use what I have experienced and be able to tell my future kids all about the sick awesome things I did, instead of playing videogames.....Like Drew! man I should ask Drew also, that dude is living life!

Drew isn't 23

#6 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Do a Friday the 13th prank in the hood and scare the shit out of people. Though you might end up getting shot.

#7 Posted by gokaired (522 posts) -

Drink half the stuff you want to do is overrated and you'll probably won't use any of those skills. Just Drink, do your job, go to a gay bar and be the best looking guy in the room (it's not that hard ;) ), raise enough for a massive pension.

Skydiving is just falling with style, a backflip is the same thing :P

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Do a Friday the 13th prank in the hood and scare the shit out of people. Though you might end up getting shot.

Hah, look at them run

#9 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Hah, look at them run

Thinking about it. If I ever see a guy with a hockey mask and chainsaw at night. I'll probably be running like hell too LOL!

#10 Edited by geirr (2523 posts) -

You won't truly know what you want to do with your youth til you're 30+ and nursing a glass of single malt on the rocks. Alone, in the dark, listening to music no one cares about anymore.

#11 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

I read the title as "mouth" and was thoroughly confused.

#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

Hah, look at them run

Thinking about it. If I ever see a guy with a hockey mask and chainsaw at night. I'll probably be running like hell too LOL!

I don't think I would, not when he's dressed like that, but if it was some random guy then sure.
Also I would do what Greg Miller said on one of his streams that he would do had he been the person in the car that just backs up.
To put it in a nice way I would probably not have put the car in reverse before stepping on the gas

#13 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

Sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

#14 Posted by slyspider (1201 posts) -

Lots of sex, before you get all nasty and old

#15 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4600 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

I read the title as "mouth" and was thoroughly confused.

'I Have No Mouth Youth and I Must Scream' is a pretty apt descriptor for mid-life crises though.

#16 Posted by defordj (39 posts) -

What should I do with my youth while I have it?

Not worry about wasting it? Not unnecessarily examine how well or poorly you're wringing every last mote of joy out of it? Not accept the zeitgeist's general principle that youth is infinitely more valuable than the years that come after? Not hoard it, not overvalue it, not be so terrified of losing it?

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

Do a cartwheel.

#18 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@defordj said:

What should I do with my youth while I have it?

Not worry about wasting it? Not unnecessarily examine how well or poorly you're wringing every last mote of joy out of it? Not accept the zeitgeist's general principle that youth is infinitely more valuable than the years that come after? Not hoard it, not overvalue it, not be so terrified of losing it?

Well, you shouldn't be anxious to squeeze everything out of it, but you shouldn't let it slide by either. But the bit in here I'd like to emphasize is "not be so terrified of losing it". Man, there are too many people in their 40's who are trying to recapture their 20's and it's really, really lame.

On topic, though, you should gain an interest in something and learn and do as much with it as you can. I'm nearly 22 and I'm only just now really figuring out some of the things I want, and I already feel like it's getting too late. It isn't, I know. Find something you really enjoy studying and study the hell out of it.

A lot of people start to really find themselves in life in their 30's and 40's. Your body is slowing down in those years but, if you take care of it, it won't be frail and weak until you're in your 50's or maybe even your 60's, so don't be afraid of turning 30 and going "Oh, no, now I have to get one of those rubber shower mats and a fucking Life-Alert!"

So, yeah, just enjoy your days and explore things that interest you to the best of your ability.

#19 Edited by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

Move to a ski hill for a winter, get a place that is somewhat close to the club, then get a job as a nighttime cook (hours are usually 2-10 or so). That way you can board during the day, get your work on, and still go out in the evening.

#20 Posted by OneLoneClone (69 posts) -

Travel. For a year or more. Its hard to do later.

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Aww, someone else already said drugs

#22 Edited by isomeri (1253 posts) -

I'm the same age as you and have been having similar thoughts in the back of my mind now and again. So I can't say that I can give any sort of sage advice from my viewpoint, but what I would say is that travelling is kind of a very neat thing to do. You probably don't have anyone or anything to tie you down so you can freely take a few weeks or months to travel the world. Even a bit of local travelling can really get your head straight and help you figure out what it is you want to do. I'm probably going to cancel my PS4 pre-order and spend that money on a two week trip around southern Europe next month.

#23 Posted by chiablo (921 posts) -

Sex... and lots of it. Your sex drive will decrease with age, so enjoy depravity while you can.

#24 Edited by Flappy (2195 posts) -

Learn to swim, man. You never know when you might get washed away or somethin'!

#25 Posted by dudeglove (7740 posts) -

@chiablo said:

Sex... and lots of it. Your sex drive will decrease with age, so enjoy depravity while you can.

Both right and wrong. Your sex drive does not decrease (in fact there are rampant STD problems among the elderly which is a totally gross image), but it's perhaps best to have sex with the crazy ones while you're still young rather than pulling your back out in later life or enduring the embarrassment of your landlady releasing your naked middle-aged ass because he/she/they tied you to the bedposts or something two days ago.

Also, learn a social dance like Argentine tango or Salsa if you don't enjoy martial arts. Similar principles involved.

#26 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

Anything you can to stave off the crippling reality that we'll all die in the end.

Hah, just kidding. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just live life to the fullest in whatever way that's meaningful to you. If there's something that you've always wanted to do or learn, then take it up. Don't let fear or complacency hold you back.

#27 Posted by Blomakrans (148 posts) -

I can wholeheartedly recommend martial arts. Find some art you like and try it out. If you get the opportunity to try more than one, go for it! All the martial arts I've tried I've enjoyed (to varying degrees of course).

#28 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Move to a ski hill for a winter, get a place that is somewhat close to the club, then get a job as a nighttime cook (hours are usually 2-10 or so). That way you can board during the day, get your work on, and still go out in the evening.

Yeah this something a lot of the kids out here in the mountains do for a year or two after highschool or take year break halfway through uni etc. Definitely a young person's game though. It's cheaper if you work directly for the resort. Then you have (usually) free season lift pass as part of the deal.

#29 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

Create don't consume.

Get a motorcycle.

Travel.

Become a Renaissance Man.

Fight a bear.

#30 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

I have a bucket list, full of things I want to do with my life. It's full of places I want to go, things I want to see, people I want to meet, things I want to create, things I want to own, experiences I want to have, and stuff I want to learn. I know that's vague, but anything you want to do in life probably falls into one of those categories. You should make a bucket list, it's actually quite fun.

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14067 posts) -

Live fast and don't play by the rules. Stay up late and watch MTV. Win a rad skateboard contest and get the babe of your dreams.

#32 Posted by MonetaryDread (2015 posts) -

@monetarydread said:

Yeah this something a lot of the kids out here in the mountains do for a year or two after highschool or take year break halfway through uni etc. Definitely a young person's game though. It's cheaper if you work directly for the resort. Then you have (usually) free season lift pass as part of the deal.

Yup. That is the right course of action... to a degree. I have lived at ski resorts for a decade now and have worked at places like Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, Whistler, and Kicking Horse. The corp is usually the best option because of the seasons pass, and access to staff accomodations, but it isn't always the best way to go. For example, when I moved to Sun Peaks, the Delta hotel over there had a starting wage of $16 an hour, which was $4 more than the corp was going to pay for the same job. Even though I had to pay for my own pass, and had to spend an extra $200 a month on rent, I still made more money working for the Delta.

#33 Posted by TheHT (11128 posts) -

have fun and learn stuff.

#34 Posted by RonGalaxy (3098 posts) -

walk across america!

#35 Posted by Pezen (1594 posts) -

Enjoy being spontaneous because at some point in your life you'll drive home from work and feel like driving the other way because you're living in a box that's slowly killing your soul.

#36 Posted by CornBREDX (5094 posts) -

The world is your oyster.

Do it all.

#37 Posted by Wuddel (2090 posts) -

Learn - You will never be so fast in doing it. No matter what level of formal education you have, the strive to learn will make you a better person. The renaissance man. The gentleman scholar. This is the reason people advise you to travel.

Travel - But always outside your comfort zone. If money allows it, NOT where people speak your language. Learn a language.

Train - In extreme fashion, or do something new. Learning to swim is a great idea. Run a marathon. It is life altering.

Find Love.

#38 Posted by mlarrabee (2920 posts) -

@butler said:

Create, don't consume.

Get a motorcycle.

Travel.

Become a Renaissance Man.

Fight a bear.

Yep.

#39 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

I say burn stuff. Just make sure it doesn't create problems like arson or other reckless behavior.

#40 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1561 posts) -
#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#42 Posted by Nightriff (4988 posts) -

Enjoy the fucking hell out of it. Moving on is fantastic but moving on to soon can lead to regrets

#43 Posted by GnaTSoL (793 posts) -

have lots of sex with random women. Don't stick with a girl for more than a week, then hit on someone else.

At the very least, you definitely won't have any sexual regrets.

#44 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

Aww, someone else already said drugs

Fuck me, there goes any and all insight I can provide.

#45 Edited by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

@oneloneclone said:

Travel. For a year or more. Its hard to do later.

I would definitely say this. I haven't done a ton of traveling, but what I have done so far, I don't regret (even the bad trips).

#47 Posted by CrazyBagMan (839 posts) -

Do what sounds fun, but don't be an idiot.

#48 Posted by nick_verissimo (1383 posts) -

What's meaningful to you constantly changes - enjoy whatever that is when you can and your life will be fine.

#49 Posted by Demoskinos (14751 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Hah, look at them run

The best is the girl on the porch who closes the flimsy ass wooden door like its going to stop a dude with a chainsaw.

#50 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

I had the same realization a few months ago. I am also 23. Right now I training to run a half marathon and hopefully one day a marathon. I also plan on taking a self defense course around January. The only other thing I would say is that we can eat and drink and hurt ourselves still so don't be afraid to do any of those.