• 91 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -


You know, those incredibly stupid broad statements that sound like a sixth grader thought of them and decided that he is right while you are wrong, all the while pissing you right the hell off. (warning, if this topic takes off, it will most likely have plenty of rantings from many people, including me.)

 

Note, this was taken from a actual gamefaq member who will be unnamed.

 

"Story is overhyped. Video games should be interactive, if I want a story I'll pick up a book. The most story that a game should have is the amount used in the Mega Man games. Give or take."

 

Whenever someone talks about a videogame story and say this, I consider those people who use this INCREDIBLY stupid statement as children as best. in fact, they are dumber than children, it is quite possibly the most flawed/dumbass arguement for hating videogames POSSIBLE.

 

Story is equal to gameplay, gameplay is equal to story, THIS IS A FACT. what that dumbass gamefaq member said proves that many members of the gaming community are to much of dumbasses to even know what the word, "story" IS! And in fact are not in a sane being of mind for the fact that more and more videogames with great stories are releasing than any time before! (maybe since adventure games back then, but even then they were pretty low quality anyways.)

 

Without a story, videogames wouldn't be worth a damn, seriously, I only buy videogames with great stories, I truly do, and my collection is HUGE. It is because of story that videogames keep evolving and getting more and more different and better.

 

Yeah, I am raging, I know, but that statement is the dumbest thing ever, and when some people agree with such a stupid as hell arguement, it gives me a MUCH larger ignore list on that site, proves that many videogamers are not ready to mature and get themselves a brain. (espically considering videogames like bioshock are becoming common just shows they haven't played a single modern videogame in years.)

 

What statements online do you rage at intensely? And describe why you get pissed off at them.

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

Oh Message Board drama, may you never leave to inspire new generations on how to feel emotions.

On topic, I'm pretty most of the time.  Nothing really makes me RAGE YO, can't remember the last time I did rage...I mean, it's the fucking internet.  So people need to calm down.

#3 Posted by NTM (7546 posts) -

It's funny how so many people get pissed. The only thing I can't stand (which is off topic), is when people butcher the english language and know it, or don't but should. I'm not perfect, but I know when I see a problem.
#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6059 posts) -

Rule #18 of the Internet: Never take what people say on the Internet seriously.

#5 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Oh Message Board drama, may you never leave to inspire new generations on how to feel emotions.On topic, I'm pretty most of the time.  Nothing really makes me RAGE YO, can't remember the last time I did rage...I mean, it's the fucking internet.  So people need to calm down. "
exactly.


Tho i get pissed off to no end when people go "u MAD?, OH YOU MAD" like its some clever comeback that always save them. And i know i shouldnt get annoyed by it, i just cant help it
#6 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Most comments on Youtube would probably make me angry if I were to take them seriously.

#7 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

#8 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

I try to take every point into consideration. Because of this I'm disconected from most arguments and really only get angry with stuff in my personal life. 
Although I would argue story is great for games and help make them better, but gameplay is also extremely important. They are not equal nor is one useless.

#9 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

It's more childish to get pissed off at something a random message board poster says.

#10 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I will not give you my secrets, for then you will only use them to Troll later.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

*looks at that stupid statement*

#12 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

I would actually disagree with your declaration on the equality of story and gameplay being an immutable fact. While good writing and plotting can go a long way in enriching the experience, I find that poor writing/plot doesn't hurt a game as much as poor gameplay will. Though exceptions do exist.

#13 Posted by cnlmullen (895 posts) -

Both YouTube comments and Yahoo Answers make me lose faith in humanity. Who writes that garbage? 


There's this weird disconnect between the average people I meet IRL and on the Internet. I guess most people just show their true colors online. 
#14 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

Interactivity is the only thing that separates games from movies/television.  I think it should definitely be the primary focus.  

#15 Posted by Aronman789 (2671 posts) -

I get annoyed whenever people don't even try to spell out their words.


Itz vry anoyn t me
#16 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -
@Jay444111 said:

Without a story, videogames wouldn't be worth a damn, seriously, I only buy videogames with great stories, I truly do, and my collection is HUGE. It is because of story that videogames keep evolving and getting more and more different and better.

 




So, you don't own any of the following games or franchises?

Pacman
Mario
Contra
Tetris
Final Fantasy 
Zelda
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter
Guitar Hero/Rock Band
Grand Thef Auto (other than IV)
Starcraft
Sonic
Metroid
Megaman
Donkey Kong

All of those games have terrible stories if they manage to have stories at all.
No offense...but, if you have a huge collection of games and they don't include any of those, your opinion on video games doesn't really matter.
#17 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
"

                    Interactivity is the only thing that separates games from movies/television.  I think it should definitely be the primary focus.  

                   

                "

 

I do agree that interactivity is important for videogames, but what that guy said was to basically de-evolve videogames back to 8-bit games and start back from there in terms of story. I think interactivity is a great amazing strength of videogames that can cause emotion MUCH better than movies and comic books, or well, ANY medium possible. what that foolish human being wanted was nothing more than to make every videogame into a shootemup. do we want that? NO!


@phish09

said:

"

                    @Jay444111 said:

Without a story, videogames wouldn't be worth a damn, seriously, I only buy videogames with great stories, I truly do, and my collection is HUGE. It is because of story that videogames keep evolving and getting more and more different and better.

 


So, you don't own any of the following games or franchises?PacmanMario ContraTetrisFinal Fantasy  ZeldaMortal KombatStreet FighterGuitar Hero/Rock BandGrand Thef Auto (other than IV)StarcraftSonicMetroidMegamanDonkey KongAll of those games have terrible stories if they manage to have stories at all.No offense...but, if you have a huge collection of games and they don't include any of those, your opinion on video games doesn't really matter.

                   

                "


Well, I would argue that the paper mario and the handheld marios have decent stories, while final fantasy is also good, Zelda on the consoles is actually pretty heavy in story and lore really. handhelds, not so much. GTA vice city had a decent story while san andreas had a better plot than 4, (pacing issues in 4 killed it for me.)

 

Now, there are some games just for gameplay that I own, such as EDF2017 and ghost recon games. (not good at those tom clancy games.) which are good, but pretty fruitless and overall not worth remembering in the long run for not providing story at all.

#18 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Spelling and grammar. Such as everyone spelling definitely as 'definately' on the internet now. What's that about?
#19 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

There is a place for games that have stories and for games that do not. Not everything is made for the same reasons.

#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Anybody who thinks they know what they're talking about but really don't make me mad.

#21 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -
@Xpgamer7 said:
"

                    I try to take every point into consideration. Because of this I'm disconected from most arguments and really only get angry with stuff in my personal life. Although I would argue story is great for games and help make them better, but gameplay is also extremely important. They are not equal nor is one useless.

                   

                "

Wait, why aren't they equal in your eyes then? please elabroate.


@Beforet

said:

"

                    I would actually disagree with your declaration on the equality of story and gameplay being an immutable fact. While good writing and plotting can go a long way in enriching the experience, I find that poor writing/plot doesn't hurt a game as much as poor gameplay will. Though exceptions do exist.

                   

                "


Exactly, some videogames with crap gameplay and great story have existed and have been called amazing videogames, while videogames with poor story and poor gameplay are shit, but if a videogame goes the gameplay road, it needs TREMENDOUS amounts of gameplay to make up for not having a story, in fact, I would say a game like mario is harder to make than MGS for all the different mechainics involved in everything.

 

Gameplay and story are equal in devolopers eyes nowadays, seriously, ask'em, they love talking about the lore and the story MUCH more than the gameplay, (which they actually just show you while the story unfolds in interviews and playthroughs with devs.) Hell, most videogames need a great story if the gameplay kinda is decent, this is why GTA4 is called amazing, the game is so damn medicore that it makes babies cry in dissapointment, if they had NO story at all that game would be in the 5 to 7 range in reviews for terrible controls and terrible physics in anything that isn't a car. (TRUCKS DO NOT FLIP OVER AT A FIVE MILE PER HOUR TURN!!!!)

#22 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

I hate when people try to justify their subjective opinion by following it with "IT'S A FACT".

Examples:
-"controllers are better than mouse & keyboard, that's a fact!"
-"XBOX 360 is better than PS3, that's a fact!"
etc.

I mean, people, if you can't see the difference between a fact and an opinion, what are you doing in a discussion?

As for the story thing: story is an extremely important factor to me. In fact, I rarely replay games (there are few exceptions); I feel like with the 2nd and 3rd playthrough I lose too much of the game. I know I'll never replay any Persona game, for example. I even know I'd hesitate to replay such games as Pokemon and StarCraft II (singleplayer), even though these games' phenomenon is based on their addictive gameplay rather than the story.

I know that this is just an opinion though, and I could see how people prefer gameplay over story.

#23 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
"

                    I hate when people try to justify their subjective opinion by following it with "IT'S A FACT".Examples:-"controllers are better than mouse & keyboard, that's a fact!"-"XBOX 360 is better than PS3, that's a fact!"etc.I mean, people, if you can't see the difference between a fact and an opinion, what are you doing in a discussion?As for the story thing: story is an extremely important factor to me. In fact, I rarely replay games (there are few exceptions); I feel like with the 2nd and 3rd playthrough I lose too much of the game. I know I'll never replay any Persona game, for example. I even know I'd hesitate to replay such games as Pokemon and StarCraft II (singleplayer), even though these games' phenomenon is based on their addictive gameplay rather than the story.I know that this is just an opinion though, and I could see how people prefer gameplay over story.

                   

                "


I do agree that the "ITZ A FACTOID!" arguement is annoying as hell, but I do agree that a controller in my opinion is better than a mouse. Just feels more natural to me, never did PC game. (need to get a fancy one sooner or later.)

 

Also, I can see some people liking gameplay more, but mainly for the addiction part. Yes, I said it, those that prefer gameplay more or less are addicted to getting points/kills in game. Games like tetris and even mario are mainly meant to hook you in and make you wanna come back just to do better.

 

While videogames with story try to hook you into the story. If it works, it can be a very emotional rollercoaster and give meaning to the expierence you are having with the Interactive art. (yep, I am trying to get that classification for videogames that are really artsy.)

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6446 posts) -

Why are you still frequenting Giantbomb :(

#25 Edited by Otogi (272 posts) -
@Jay444111 said:

"

Also, I can see some people liking gameplay more, but mainly for the addiction part. Yes, I said it, those that prefer gameplay more or less are addicted to getting points/kills in game. Games like tetris and even mario are mainly meant to hook you in and make you wanna come back just to do better.

"
Wat.

EDIT: For my actual answer, people who talk about a subject they have no real knowledge with an arrogant or obnoxious attitude. 
#26 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I hate when people defend shitty business practices by businesses in the videogame industry. Day one downloadable content is still a shitty thing, no matter how many "big words" and market trend analysis you throw into your argument.

#27 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

Anything that comes out of George Hotz makes me want to strangle a kitten

#28 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

That any Final Fantasy game after 9 was good.

#29 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -
@TheHBK: No love for 12?
#30 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

people who write like i am currently doing i mean do they even know this isn't even close to being proper?


at least i didn't misspell anything i swear some of em don't even bother with the red lines that show up

i gues to be mor apropriat i shud type like dis. really pises me of.
#31 Posted by SamSharp505 (210 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Oh Message Board drama, may you never leave to inspire new generations on how to feel emotions.On topic, I'm pretty most of the time.  Nothing really makes me RAGE YO, can't remember the last time I did rage...I mean, it's the fucking internet.  So people need to calm down. "
SHUT THE FUCK UP I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
hehe
but on topic a mate of mine said that portal 2 was rubbish because it had no story, because I said to somebody else who had just bought it that the story is top and the characters are amazing.
his reason for it was that "it only has like 3 characters" so it isn't really a story. :(
so i full on raged at him because he said if there's no story or good competitive mp he wont buy it, it's just puzzles. but he was playing of: red river so i pointed out that that surely had a less entertaining storyline and as far as i know 4 characters it could build throughout...and that all it had otherwise was co op and (earlier that day he said a horde mode thing that was "crap") but then he mentioned that as being a point to buy, so i pointed out portal 2 had co op, then he left as if he had defeated me :/ (this is sounding so nerdy now, it doesn't help this was in an xbl party)
im getting annoyed thinking about it, my precious portal :(
#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@phish09 said:
" @Jay444111 said:

Without a story, videogames wouldn't be worth a damn, seriously, I only buy videogames with great stories, I truly do, and my collection is HUGE. It is because of story that videogames keep evolving and getting more and more different and better.

 


So, you don't own any of the following games or franchises?PacmanMario ContraTetrisFinal Fantasy  ZeldaMortal KombatStreet FighterGuitar Hero/Rock BandGrand Thef Auto (other than IV)StarcraftSonicMetroidMegamanDonkey KongAll of those games have terrible stories if they manage to have stories at all.No offense...but, if you have a huge collection of games and they don't include any of those, your opinion on video games doesn't really matter. "
People that say stuff like that piss me the fuck off. Just because some one doesn't like the same games they do, or god forbid they play games for a different reason then them, automatically don't deserve to play games for some reason? Pretentious dicks like that don't deserve to have their opinions heard.

I also can't stand the recent trend of people saying you are acting entitled whenever you talk about a game not having something in it. Doubly so if it was a feature that was in a previous game, and now isn't for some mysterious reason.
#33 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@animateria: I love the post that came right after yours after that statement. Could not have been any better.
#34 Posted by SamSharp505 (210 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @animateria: I love the post that came right after yours after that statement. Could not have been any better. "
Sorry! 
Half 12 over here, gimme a break, ;)
I'll admit I chuckled when I read it again though. ¬¬
#35 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @animateria: I love the post that came right after yours after that statement. Could not have been any better. "
Wow! What great timing.

I got a good chuckle out of that one!
#36 Edited by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -
@Jay444111:

I don't often 'rage' about much but if I were it would probably be about something that someone had said that I think lacks any level of insight.  For example, the last time I really got upset was with the 'Dragon Age 2 has to many homosexuals' nonsense.  That drove me up a wall.
#37 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

To each their own.

I often get very annoyed at people so steadfast in their fandom of a franchise/brand/game/character.
Its alright to love something, its not alright to try and control it.

Come to think of it, that also goes for a lot of relationships.

#38 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Nope, no love for this....


#39 Edited by Surkov (990 posts) -

Why don't you try jumping through the center of the earth again. 

#40 Posted by ape_dosmil (511 posts) -

If you only play video games with stories you're missing out on a hell of a lot of great video games. The idea that story and playability are of equal importance in video games is a minority position at best. An awful story (or no story) will not break a game with great game play. Awful game play however will break a game even if it has the best writing and plotting in video game history. Story can be a complimentary element in a game, but game play is the only thing that is absolutely central to video games.

#41 Edited by phish09 (1110 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:

"People that say stuff like that piss me the fuck off. Just because some one doesn't like the same games they do, or god forbid they play games for a different reason then them, automatically don't deserve to play games for some reason? Pretentious dicks like that don't deserve to have their opinions heard.
I also can't stand the recent trend of people saying you are acting entitled whenever you talk about a game not having something in it. Doubly so if it was a feature that was in a previous game, and now isn't for some mysterious reason.
"

Dude...I've seen your posts.  I don't think you're in the position to be calling anyone pretentious.
#42 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4826 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Anybody who thinks they know what they're talking about but really don't make me mad. "
This times a gazillion.

@Yanngc33 said:
" Anything that comes out of George Hotz makes me want to strangle a kitten "
He reminds me of most of my comp sci classmates. I don't like those people. They're smart, but every time they speak, it's a combination of internet slang and stuckupness that is always seconds away from making me want to go postal.
#43 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

Eating my own dust.

#44 Posted by Sjosz (486 posts) -

Not particular statements, but I cannot stand people who have an upward inflection whenever they speak, making everything sound like a question. Had to watch the Dungeon Siege QLEX without audio because of it.

#45 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

"Tyler Perry's net worth is $350 million dollars." I give the guy credit for playing to his audience and basically giving everyone else the finger, but three hundred fifty million dollars!!!!!

Online
#46 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

I get pissed off when people state their opinions like they're facts, like you did in the OP.

#47 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
" Spelling and grammar. Such as everyone spelling definitely as 'definately' on the internet now. What's that about? "
YOMANGITZDAINNERNETZFUKURMOMSGRAMMARWEBEYONDGRAMMAR
#48 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

"PORTAL 2 IS SHIT. I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE PAY $60 FOR THIS NICKLE & DIME GAME FROM VALVE. NOT TEAM DEATH MATCH!? GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. K&L2 IS A GREATER VALUE THAN THIS PIECE OF SHIT. IF I WANT JOKES I WILL GO WATCH BIG MOMMA HOUSE 3"


me hurt in the inside when someone said this.
#49 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@ape_dosmil said:

"

                    If you only play video games with stories you're missing out on a hell of a lot of great video games. The idea that story and playability are of equal importance in video games is a minority position at best. An awful story (or no story) will not break a game with great game play. Awful game play however will break a game even if it has the best writing and plotting in video game history. Story can be a complimentary element in a game, but game play is the only thing that is absolutely central to video games.

                   

                "


 

I say again, gameplay without story is basically a addiction that gamers repeat the same actions over and over again to stimulate their endorphins(happy chemicals.) to bring a self worth to the player, while a storytelling videogame such as MGS or half life is stimulated by endorphins, it is not a fake sense of worth that it gives you, it is the actual sense of progression that other artforms based upon stories make you feel. videogames without stories or horrible stories are nothing more than a distraction trying to trick people into believing they are actually progressing when they really only do nothing but go to the next level to get more and more points doing the same tasks such as eating pellets and killing ghosts, nothing more than a addiction.

 

Yep, I said it, they may have been needed back during the NES era, but their time has passed and they need to move on. the only thing keeping videogames from evolving is the gamers that cannot admit that this addiction to meaningless tasks are in fact meaningless. and hold onto them only saying that they need to make more games like this, instead of innovation, people such as you are nothing more then the poison that seeks to keep videogames stagnated. do you want this medium to become the next modern movie industry? A piece of filth that does nothing but kill itself with stagnation and isolation away from talented people who could've done something for the now dying movie industry.

 

Do you want to kill the videogame industry, then put mario down and put him out of his misery.

#50 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -
@phish09 said:
" @crusader8463 said:

"People that say stuff like that piss me the fuck off. Just because some one doesn't like the same games they do, or god forbid they play games for a different reason then them, automatically don't deserve to play games for some reason? Pretentious dicks like that don't deserve to have their opinions heard.
I also can't stand the recent trend of people saying you are acting entitled whenever you talk about a game not having something in it. Doubly so if it was a feature that was in a previous game, and now isn't for some mysterious reason.
"

    Dude...I've seen your posts.  I don't think you're in the position to be calling anyone pretentious.  Mr PC Gamer."
What does me preferring PC games have anything to do with being pretentious? Does simply preferring to play games with a keyboard and mouse automatically make some on pretentious now?