What Steven Seagal films would you recommend?

• 53 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So I've been on an action film kick lately partly due to Dan and Drew mentioning a bunch of action films I either haven't seen in a long time or haven't seen at all. So far over the past 3 weeks I've watched Demolition Man, The Rundown, Speed, Cliffhanger, The Rock, Rumble in the Bronx, Twin Dragons and Tango & Cash. All great action films that I was glad to have watched. Now one action movie star I'm completely running a blank on is the aikido master Steven Seagal. I think at most the only film I've seen partially he starred in was Exit Wounds with DMX, and by that time he was kinda towards the slow and fat phase of his career. I want to know out of all the Steven Seagal filmography what are the essential movies to watch during the height of his movie career?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

So from the films you mentioned I guess you want cheesey 80s and 90s stuff? The only film with Steven Seagal in I would ever recommend is Machete and he's not even in it much, so this is a pretty shite recommendation, sorry.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Under Siege. A couple of his earlier ones are ok. Also the one with Michael Caine as the bad guy, not because it's good but because it has two disposable bad guys having a chat about how they should be holding their guns to look menacing.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In my opinion Above the Law is his best film.

Also you should watch True Lies, but that's not him.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd say Executive Decision and Under Siege are really the only two worth watching, and Under Siege is the only one I'd call a Steven Seagal movie.

Also I feel like he was always sort of slow and fat, so it might be hard to avoid that of phase of his.

bart008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege is considered his best movie. That also might be the only movie I have seen of his. If you want more Jackie Chan movie recommendations I would watch Police Story.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I would say you'd be alright without watching any Seagal movie. As a lover of actions movies of all types, Seagal has never done anything for me and even his best films aren't that special. Under Siege is okay from what I remember, but I don't think I've even watched it all the way through.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Is this a trick question?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Under Siege is a pretty good action movie. Hard to Kill is a pretty HILARIOUSLY bad action movie that is probably my top "so bad it's good" movie. The training montage, his fake coma beard, his crazy action hero name (Mason Storm), the villain and his catch phrase, the hilarious "wow look at Seagal he's a badass" opening, etc etc. It goes on. If you can appreciate something as silly as Demolition Man then I think you should watch Hard to Kill.

@brackstone said:

I'd say Executive Decision and Under Siege are really the only two worth watching, and Under Siege is the only one I'd call a Steven Seagal movie.

Also I feel like he was always sort of slow and fat, so it might be hard to avoid that of phase of his.

He was not at all always fat. He was always awkward moving but to his credit dude is a great martial artist despite how he looks fucking hilarious running.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone said:

He was not at all always fat. He was always awkward moving but to his credit dude is a great martial artist despite how he looks fucking hilarious running.

Yeah I think it's hard to look elegant when you're nearly 2m tall and fairly well built.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege is like Die Hard on a boat.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@alexw00d said:

@artisanbreads said:
@brackstone said:

Yeah I think it's hard to look elegant when you're nearly 2m tall and fairly well built.

Eh, a lot of basketball players disagree. But there are awkward ones too that are skilled and again he's a great martial artist and results are always what matters to me. Can't hate on that.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strife777

From what I understand, Under Siege is an actually decent movie. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with any recent stuff, I can tell you it's shit. He churns those out at an alarming rate.

But even then, his older stuff is not great. To me, Seagal has always been a "dad actor", meaning dads like his movies, along with other terrible straight to video action movies.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like Under Siege is the definitive movie to go see starring Steven Segal. I'll go try and watch it sometime this week.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

I've never seen a full Steven Seagal movie and I haven't seen anything from him in several years, but what I have seen always struck me as the kind of thing you put on the TV for some inoffensive noise while you go do chores around the house or something.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

None of his movies are great, but Hard to Kill and Under Siege are some of his better ones.

I seem to recall Fire Down Below being rather inoffensive as well.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun Steven Seagal fact: the only reason he is famous in the first place is because he was the martial arts instructor to a Hollywood agent who made a Trading-Places-esque bet with a colleague that he could take a complete nobody and make him into a movie star. True story.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen, you watch Above the Law, Under Siege, and On Deadly Ground, and maybe, just maybe Executive Decision, and you walk away, you just walk away and you consider yourself lucky that you are still able to do so.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

On Deadly Ground. It's basically Metal Gear Solid.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Past Dead. The one. The only.

Loading Video...

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not Seagal, but you mentioned the DMX up there and so I gotta recommend Cradle 2 the Grave with Jet Li and DMX, it's along the lines of a Fast and Furious or Bad Boys or something and remember it being stylish and a lot of fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

+1 for Under Siege

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

I dunno, ask the Spectre.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under fucking Siege

Like what everyone else have been saying :D

Avatar image for japanesebuffalo
JapaneseBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Glimmer Man is a pretty good, bad movie of his. It's around the time he started getting fat and has several, crazy, nonsense scenes.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Under Siege is great, the second one is worth watching once.

its entirely possible that I was just a stupid kid and didn't know any better but I remember liking Fire Down Below.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Just like everyone's already said, Under Siege is great.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I saw Hard to Kill when it was on TV a few years ago. Holy hell what a gem.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking love Steven Seagal.

Under Siege is without a doubt his best film but Hard to Kill, Out for Justice, Fire Down Below and Marked for Death are all worth seeing if you're into dumb action movies.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The only movie I've seen with Seagal in a lead role is On Deadly Ground. I do not recommend that one.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am seconding what people say about Hard to Kill. It's hilariously bad. It has a sex scene that literally occurs in the middle of a training montage.

I would also recommend Exit Wounds, for a glimpse at how his career trajectory changed in the late 90s.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hermes

Under Siege is, without a doubt, his best movie (or his only good one). And Executive Decision, only because he is barely in it.

I want to second other people that say you should avoid him. Seriously, he is not a good action actor, he is not even a good stunts performer, the movies are shit (not in the so-bad-is-good kind of way), and he remains in the bad side of camping for most of his career.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the two Under Siege movies. The second one isn't as good, but I found to still be a decent action movie.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh. None of them.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on personal preferences, if you like sticking needles into your eyes then all his movies are fantastic!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're sober, none of them. If you're about 5-6 beers in, ALL OF THEM.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege is a legit good movie. Die Hard on a boat is about perfect but Tommy Lee Jones is the bad guy and its fantastic. Might be the only Seagal movie I've seen but it is very good.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Marked for Death or Out for Justice if you want to get idea why he became popular. His earlier movies have that 80-90s gritty violent feel to them. Under Siege is his most popular movie, but it is also after his peak time (for example Mad magazine made fun of him being too out of shape in that movie).

Edit:

@i_stay_puft Most important non-Seagal movie: Roadhouse.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege or Marked for Death.

Really everything he did before Under Siege is what got him the Under Siege gig and so is pretty good. It goes downhill from there.

Also see Double Impact. Because everyone should see Double Impact. A lot.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HoboZero

Here is the rule with his movies:

If the title can be used to form a sentence stating: "Steve Seagal is <insert title here>" you are golden and should watch for cheesy action goodness. If not, stay far away.

For example:

• Steven Seagal is Hard to Kill
  • Steven Seagal is Under Siege
  • Steven Seagal is Out for Justice
  • Steven Seagal is Marked for Death
  • Steven Seagal is Above the Law
  • Steven Seagal is On Deadly Ground (great villainous turn for Michael Caine and his dye job in this one)
  • Steven Seagal is The Glimmer Man

And, when a sentence just doesn't work, neither does the movie

• Steven Seagal is Executive Decision (nope)
  • Steven Seagal is Today You Die (double-nope)
  • Steven Seagal is Flight of Fury (nopers)
  • Steven Seagal is Under Siege 2 (doesn't work)
  • Steven Seagal is Pistol Whipped (hmmm....)

Edit: the one exception to the rule is Machete. Because it's Machete.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By geirr

Pretty much this

Loading Video...

..and any variation thereof.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege is the only film I'd recommend.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I wouldn't wish a Steven Segal movie on anybody.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under seige 1 and 2. Well the second might have a different name, I only know the danish names.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Seige 2. That's the first movie I saw of his as a kid and loved it. Now I'm able to appreciate it for the glorified mess that it is. THE VILLIAN USES FUCKING PEPPER SPRAY AS A GODDAMN BREATH SPRAY. Yeah, its pretty great.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under Siege is a legit pretty damn decent action flick. Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey co-star, so have at it.

I can't remember liking any of his other movies, but I suppose they're good for a laugh if you want to see a squinty, pony-tailed man throat punch people for 90 minutes.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#50  Edited By SubwayD

How timely. While looking for Van Damme movies, I ended up also buying a Blu Ray box set containing Under Siege 1 and 2, Hard To Kill, Above the Law and Executive Decision for £7 the other day.

That's probably all the Seagal one could ever need or want, right?

Also, I was shocked to discover this bullshit:

Loading Video...

Amazing.