#1 Edited by doobie (605 posts) -

for me its VH'fuckin S.

i hated Video tapes.

im so pleased my children will grow up not having to know what VHS was or is. they will never have to rewind and fast forward through a 180 min searching for blank tape, adjust tracking, never have to deal with a tape that decide to wrap itself around thing inside of the recorder.

VHS had no redeemable qualities and i'm glad its dead

#2 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I'm glad digital books are becoming a thing, books are heavy. So forget that mess.

#3 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

Everything that is physical and doesn't need to be. I much prefer living in small apartments than big houses, so anything unnecessarily taking up space is a nuisance.

#4 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

Even though it's the big thing, I really dislike cloud services. I don't like the idea that everything I own can disappear because lightning struck too close to the central servers.

#5 Posted by Seedofpower (3937 posts) -

Spoons and forks. Sporks are where its at.

#6 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

I'm glad digital books are becoming a thing, books are heavy. So forget that mess.

I challenge you to fisticuffs, my good sir. Books are great! They're the only thing I don't want to see go away.

I'm glad cassette tapes aren't around anymore. Those things were annoying, got fucked up easily, ruined album art, and had inferior sound quality. I like that a lot of records I buy are now available in vinyl+digital.

#7 Edited by PenguinDust (12554 posts) -

Well, I still like books but I admit some of that may be because I've never read anything of length off a Kindle or tablet. However, I agree with getting rid of CD/DVD/BDs eventually. Digitally stored media is so much easier to manage and store than physical discs. Now, the downside so far is that it can't be resold, however I foresee someone coming along and figuring out a business model for that, too. Honestly, when I've already plumped myself down in front of the TV, I don't want to have to get back up again to change the disc. I've grown just that lazy.

I won't miss this mess

My other gripe would be cables. I long for the day when except for plugging in the power supply, everything else is connected wirelessly. That means the consoles, media storage/player device, computer, etc...are all connected to the TV without any wires. My PC is connected to my monitor without wires just as my keyboard is today. This also goes for external hard drive, printers, and other peripherals. In turn, all of them can be accessed on my TV or any other device such as a tablet or phone. Cables suck and we need to get rid of all but the most necessary. I know there is science that even removes the need for the power cable, so one day that will go, too. If I am still around to see that come to pass, I'll do a jig...and probably break a hip.

#8 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

3D gimmicks.

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4741 posts) -

3d and cords. Man fuck cords everything should be wireless

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -
@LikeaSsur

Even though it's the big thing, I really dislike cloud services. I don't like the idea that everything I own can disappear because lightning struck too close to the central servers.

And your house could be struck by lightning and burn down taking everything with it. So what is the difference really?
#11 Edited by NathHaw (2793 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Joeyoe31 said:

I challenge you to fisticuffs, my good sir. Books are great! They're the only thing I don't want to see go away.

I'm glad cassette tapes aren't around anymore. Those things were annoying, got fucked up easily, ruined album art, and had inferior sound quality. I like that a lot of records I buy are now available in vinyl+digital.

Since you are a fan of books, I hope you get a chance to read this Pulitzer Prize nominated one: The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains http://www.amazon.com/The-Shallows-Internet-Doing-Brains/dp/0393072223.

Part of what it attempts to prove are that standard books are important in certain types of development in our brains. That type of development may be hindered with e-readers and reading on the Internet. Trust me though, it's about a whole lot more than that. It's also highly readable and enjoyable. Nicholas Carr, the author, is a gifted writer who keeps the reader engaged. Highly recommended to just about anyone in fact.

#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

Books. for sure. I'm so glad I don't carry those around anymore. Also any kind of dedicated handheld or laptop. I just keep a phone and tablet on me nowadays and it does everything I've ever needed laptops to do. Then when I need to get proper work done, I do it on a desktop like I should be.

#13 Posted by LD50 (415 posts) -

cords and wires

#14 Edited by Ares42 (2729 posts) -

CRT screens. The amount of heavy-ass screens I've carried for LANs or just having computer over at friends' house was more than enough. Still remember buying an LCD long before it was the standard.

#15 Posted by predator (352 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

It's not too bad if you dub vinyl to tape with a high-end cassette deck, record player and cartridge. Pre-recorded tapes are poor.

#16 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Not sure, I kind of like all tech, videos were cool cause you can pick up right where you left off.

#17 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

I am with the OP on VHS.

Just this past week, someone at the firm at which I work asked where the VCR was. I asked if they meant the DVD player, and they said "No, I mean I need to play a tape for some training."

I was flabbergasted.

Luckily they looked again and found some DVDs of the same thing they had ordered years ago, and used that.

I apparently still need to find a VCR to play old tapes of depositions and whatnot, luckily you can find one at any thrift store for 5 bucks.

#18 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@Seedofpower said:

Spoons and forks. Sporks are where its at.

only one restaurant in my area used the spork, i frequented it because any place that lets the use the same utensil for the chips and the beans knew what it was doing, after a while they stopped using them and i stopped going, I hope they make a resurgence.

I for one am glad to see the back of dial up, tied up phone lines, frequent disconnects and terrible speeds at all hours pretty much meant that most of my internet time was ruined by the constant need for fiddling with settings, I do however miss the noise of the modem.

#19 Posted by UitDeToekomst (720 posts) -

beepers/pagers. also, i second those saying cords and wires.

#20 Posted by GunstarRed (5302 posts) -

When I was really heavily into music I'd carry around tons of cassette tapes and they were nothing but an annoyance. They were constantly getting stretched, churned up, muffled sound on one side, out of tune etc. Fuck cassette tapes! Whenever I see someone being nostalgic about making mixtapes I want to punch them in the face.

#21 Edited by krazy_kyle (715 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

I completely agree. It occurred to me the other day that because I have no physical copy of a game that it can just go missing after the service for that game shuts down or disappears. There's no insurance for cloud services. At least with physical copies of games you can play them any time you want, offline with no interruptions because of DRM or downed internet connections.

EDIT: I don't think cloud services and cloud gaming such as OnLive is going away any time soon, in fact I think it's going to become more mainstream.

#22 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

3D gimmicks.

I agree, Big Bo.

"Tell your mother I loved her.."

"I heard that, Botang!"

#23 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Not sure, I kind of like all tech, videos were cool cause you can pick up right where you left off.

or accidentally record over something someone else was halfway though.

#24 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Well, I still like books but I admit some of that may be because I've never read anything of length off a Kindle or tablet. However, I agree with getting rid of CD/DVD/BDs eventually. Digitally stored media is so much easier to manage and store than physical discs. Now, the downside so far is that it can't be resold, however I foresee someone coming along and figuring out a business model for that, too. Honestly, when I've already plumped myself down in front of the TV, I don't want to have to get back up again to change the disc. I've grown just that lazy.

I won't miss this mess

My other gripe would be cables. I long for the day when except for plugging in the power supply, everything else is connected wirelessly. That means the consoles, media storage/player device, computer, etc...are all connected to the TV without any wires. My PC is connected to my monitor without wires just as my keyboard is today. This also goes for external hard drive, printers, and other peripherals. In turn, all of them can be accessed on my TV or any other device such as a tablet or phone. Cables suck and we need to get rid of all but the most necessary. I know there is science that even removes the need for the power cable, so one day that will go, too. If I am still around to see that come to pass, I'll do a jig...and probably break a hip.

funny thing is that tesla had the idea for wirless power way back in the 1920s

it was actually pretty awesome how he was gonna do it. By having giant tesla coils that would generate eletric fields that would power wirless devices. it was outlandish as hell but he got the basic premise right.

#25 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Recharging stuff. When are we going to reach the endless power age?

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Cables. Shit is outdated to me. Everything should be wireless.

#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12554 posts) -

@spartanlolz92: Heh-heh, your comment triggered flashbacks of C&C Red Alert 2 and the Tesla coils. I hear magnetic resonance is how they do it today according to some articles. Range and wattage seem to be a hurdle for now. I don't mind keeping the power cables for now if we can just get rid of all the other cords.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@doobie: Nobody in my family ever recorder off of a VHS tape, so we never had this problem.

#29 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

@Demoskinos: There is a huge difference, and if you're okay with your bought products being controlled and maintained by others, eventually being shut down and losing access to it forever, more power to you.

#30 Posted by falserelic (5468 posts) -

PS move.

#31 Edited by LD50 (415 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

@spartanlolz92: Heh-heh, your comment triggered flashbacks of C&C Red Alert 2 and the Tesla coils. I hear magnetic resonance is how they do it today according to some articles. Range and wattage seem to be a hurdle for now. I don't mind keeping the power cables for now if we can just get rid of all the other cords.

Sony is claiming seven feet using magnetic resonance. That's more a less a rebranding of an induction loop, but without the loop. Or maybe with the loop, the article was a little vague. The only reason you're seeing this stuff at all is because it requires patented tech that you have to pay to use. A way to meter it. This was the issue JP Morgan had with Teslas invention/discovery. Morgan arranged to pay for the building of the towers. When he found out the energy was going to be free, he shit canned the project and fucked Tesla six ways to Sunday.

I'm not a scientist, just a guy that talks shit about stuff he doesn't fully understand most of the time. That said, Tesla was planning on using the Ionosphere to conduct the energy, around the world. There's a really good biography of him in the Netflix. It explains the whole thing, and how Marconi fucked Tesla out of the implementation of the radio. How true it is, who knows.

Rudolf Diesel is another interesting story. He was planning on manufacturing an engine that farmers could grow their own fuel (veg oil) to use instead of petroleum.

He disappeared off of a ship one night. Also, chemtrails.

#32 Posted by Village_Guy (2636 posts) -

3D and Motion Controls.

#33 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Fucking wires.

#34 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Mechanical mice and PS/2 keyboards. Whenever I buy a new desktop I'm really offended that these fucking things still get packaged in with it.

#35 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Got to say 3D. Cannot stand it.

#36 Posted by Grillbar (1872 posts) -

pretty much what everyone says cords and wires but there are so many other things if you go far enough back, vhs, audio tapes, stationary phones evil robot servants, mini discs, Parallel and serial Ports, remember ring, Motorized Grill Brush and so on

#37 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (379 posts) -

Phones, or more precisely mobile (cell) phones. I used to go out without a care in the world. If somebody wanted me for something, then it was tough. I was out. Now I'm expected to have one turned on 24/7. People get really pissy with me when I turn it off.

Fuck phones.

Also..fuck people on the other end of the phone.

#38 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -

Waggle controls.

#39 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

3D gimmicks.

Hear, hear!

#40 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

Serial keys, TH60OG BN198Y O00F16 LI2G54 M388YT B83J00 RMDMPS TA85RN AK3211 00000F

Some keys would exceed 80 digits

#41 Posted by Levius (1169 posts) -

Region locking, I want to give you money just let me.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (15017 posts) -
@LikeaSsur

@Demoskinos: There is a huge difference, and if you're okay with your bought products being controlled and maintained by others, eventually being shut down and losing access to it forever, more power to you.

Lot of theoretical "ifs" right there. Having a constant need for physical things seems extremely archaic to me in this day and age.
#43 Posted by Zleunamme (687 posts) -

Chunky cellphones with limited display and functionality.

VHS and cassette tapes. They take up so much space and they become useless when the tape is damaged.

Floppy disks. External hard drives and USB keys make my job as a graphic designer more easier to save my work.

Pager and beepers. You can tell is was nineties when the only people having pagers were business men, doctors and drug dealers. Not in that particular order.

Rotary phones. They were still around the early eighties when I was a kid. I hardly made any phone calls during those times. Thought what a pain in ass it is if the number started with zero.

Portable CD players. Constantly having to buy batteries and lugging around a cd album. I thought I was in heaven when I bought my first iPod nano.

#44 Posted by DeF (4923 posts) -

I wouldn't miss mobile phones of any kind.

#45 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

I think at the moment, there's too much reliance of digital products being tied to a particular server/store, but that isn't the case for everything and I'm sure it's something we'll gradually move away from. Even if Amazon were to shut down tomorrow, all of my eBooks and MP3's would still work fine, and there's nothing stopping me from keeping backups of them right now on my computer or even burnt to a CD. Same goes for all the games I own on GoG.com, they're completely DRM free and just as secure (if not more so, since there's nothing that can be lost or damaged) than anything you own on a disc/on paper.

#46 Edited by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I could say the same to you. You need something to store all of that data, don't you?

: That....really doesn't change that I dislike it.

#47 Edited by AGold (26 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

If your using a cloud storage service as your main storage and not as a backup, you're doing it all wrong dude. Backing up your work to a cloud service offers you additional peace of mind as well as the ability to access that work from where ever you might want to. And it's a bit paranoid to think these companies have employees perusing the millions of files that are updated everyday for some sort of IP they can steal. Also, don't upload anything with sensitive personal information, like your taxes lol.

#48 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

Cords!

#49 Posted by CookieMonster (2423 posts) -

Touch screen phones. Fuck 'em.