• 70 results
#51 Posted by Rokkaku (221 posts) -

Get lots of obscure Jazz and Classical records, pour yourself a stiff drink, and ponder our chaotic and meaningless existence as you read a novel.

#52 Posted by notdavid (828 posts) -

I'm sure it's already been suggested, but Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is an enduring album that fits the vinyl format well. Plus, my copy came with a free mp3 download of the full album.

#53 Posted by Fattony12000 (7102 posts) -
#54 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

So since Crosley is out of the picture, what would you recommend?

#55 Posted by NecroMongo (64 posts) -
#56 Posted by PandaBear (1312 posts) -

I only listen to music on vinyl. And only albums recorded in analogue and the vinyl has to be at least 180grams.

I love vinyl for the bigger artwork, but realistically unless you're going to invest in a good turntable, an amp and speakers you won't hear much of a difference than a CD.

#57 Posted by medacris (645 posts) -

I don't have any albums on vinyl, nor do I have a record player, but I have CD's that were clearly made to be listened to on vinyl (the last track ends with what's meant to be an intro to feed into the first track, stuff like that) and I wish I had those on vinyl as a result. One I can think of offhand is Vitology by Pearl Jam.

#58 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
Yo dawg...
#59 Edited by Getz (2989 posts) -

Maybe it's not your thing but I've always found old punk and metal albums to sound really great on vinyl. Psychedelic/Stoner Rock stuff too like Kyuss, Pink Floyd, Sleep, or Yes.

#60 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Anything with a gatefold. Might as well double up on the artwork.

#61 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I bought some Metallica LPs and I love it.

#62 Posted by Demoskinos (14596 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Dubstep

This is the right fucking answer to everything.

#63 Posted by Discoman (159 posts) -

Quadrophenia

Sticky Fingers

Heroes

I think FLAC will win over Vinyl as computers advance and people don't mind hard drive space as much as they do now.

#64 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3018 posts) -

Ok. If you are like me and you already spend way too much on Games/Food and other priorities (girls, rent, etc) here is a smart way to spend on vinyl:

1. Don't buy anything easily available on CD. You'll just listen to it/download it for your iPod/computer anyways. Your record collection is worthless if you don't actually use it.
  2. Don't buy classic records like The Rolling Stones, etc, unless you really, really, really want that exact vinyl. This shit is kipple.

You're better off putting money into a small number of more expensive, special records. Why? You'll actually use your record player. Special records are fun to show off, and sometimes vinyl is even the only way to hear them.

#65 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

Honestly pretty much anything. If there's a new album out pick it up on vinyl. Some actually also come with a CD or a code for MP3s so that's a plus.

#66 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Something else that is from Germany.

#67 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

pink floyd shine on you crazy diamonds

#68 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Anything you wanted to hear with clear bass. Digital music at standard sampling rates totally neglects the bottom end and wastes most of the bandwidth on the upper frequencies, even ones the average adult can't hear. Vinyl rips to 24/96 FLAC are good enough, but also super rare at this point in time. I can't understand why so many bands release still their stuff on vinyl, but don't even consider high quality FLAC as an option. Hell, most don't even consider regular cd quality FLAC as an option... but luckily ripping a CD is a lot easier.

#69 Posted by diz (912 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Anything you wanted to hear with clear bass. Digital music at standard sampling rates totally neglects the bottom end and wastes most of the bandwidth on the upper frequencies, even ones the average adult can't hear.

Could you elaborate on that please? I'm wondering if it's correct. I do know that RIAA equalisation and low frequency summing are techniques used in mastering vinyl records in attempts to provide a passable bass response. I always thought that digital reproduction didn't have these issues at all. As far as I was aware, digital music only suffered at the higher frequencies and not the lower ones - with the highest sampled frequency dictating a sampling rate at least twice that much, while conforming to the Nyquist theorem.

#70 Posted by Sylinder (77 posts) -

Buy this one, it`s just about the greatest thing ever released on vinyl. The dude tho made this goes by the name of Thermos Malling (He used to be the drummer for Bob Log III`s old band Doo Rag) and he made it this record and another one with his wife on vocals (i believe) I remember seeing a clip of them live where she sang while doing some crazy drum-triggering with a nintendo power glove.

Anyways, I got this one way back in the days off of Discogs.com, and if you`re looking for anything on dilicious vinyl platters look no further. It really is a great community/sales-whatever-site