#1 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

I was wondering due greatly to the fact that my copy of SW:TOR was probably shipped to the wrong country or something as it hasn't arrived yet, that I at least have a major problem. My time sinks, this is, things in which I pass a bit of time, are generally products manufactured by other people. So I am thinking of changing this situation, as many of you fellow bombers have already perceived that while there are products that are genuinely interesting and appealing to us, when they run out we end up with distractions that are only half as satisfying.

Cutting this short, I was wondering if you could help me classify the kinds of distractions we enjoy.

For now, I have thought of:

• products manufactured by others (like games, books, songs, movies, etc.)
  • group activities (envolving two or more people)
  • sports (per example skateboarding)
  • sleeping
  • day dreaming
  • thinking
  • traveling (in which I include walking)
  • vegetate
  • made-up games
  • masturbation
  • hunting

Can you think of any other activities?

Please respond to the thread is you have something useful to say, appart from saying that this is stupid of something intrinsically similar.

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

curl up in a corner and cry.

#3 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

you forgot masturbating

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

The Back to the Future DeLorean

#5 Posted by N7 (3585 posts) -

I listen to music, watch videos on Hulu and masturbate. Sometimes at once, sometimes not.

I bring it to a math. About five songs for me is a half an hour. So while doing almost nothing you can burn some serious time. And videos are random but good for killing time by watching them one by one. And masturbation, well, that depends.

Watching Quick Looks is another good way to pass time. But, again, those are my top three.

#6 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I spend countless hours every week reading, watching, and playing hockey. Come the early June when the season has ended I am left wanting for something to fill that time. At least until the end of June when the draft rolls around and then free agency. But then August hits and it's just awful again. It gets to the point where I sit around with friends and we talk about how much we want the season to start again.

#7 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@N7 said:

I listen to music, watch videos on Hulu and masturbate. Sometimes at once, sometimes not. I bring it to a math. About five songs for me is a half an hour. So while doing almost nothing you can burn some serious time. And videos are random but good for killing time by watching them one by one. And masturbation, well, that depends. Watching Quick Looks is another good way to pass time. But, again, those are my top three.

GiantBomb videos have become a great way for me to kill time. Especially late at night when I can't fall asleep.

#8 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

@N7 said:

I listen to music, watch videos on Hulu and masturbate. Sometimes at once, sometimes not. I bring it to a math. About five songs for me is a half an hour. So while doing almost nothing you can burn some serious time. And videos are random but good for killing time by watching them one by one. And masturbation, well, that depends. Watching Quick Looks is another good way to pass time. But, again, those are my top three.

Masturbation has two very big drawbacks. It can both induce addiction, and have an impact in both physical and psycological health. ^^

@devilzrule27 said:

I spend countless hours every week reading, watching, and playing hockey. Come the early June when the season has ended I am left wanting for something to fill that time. At least until the end of June when the draft rolls around and then free agency. But then August hits and it's just awful again. It gets to the point where I sit around with friends and we talk about how much we want the season to start again.

I imagine. :)

#9 Posted by N7 (3585 posts) -
@Jeust: Well, that explains a couple of things.
#10 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Jeust: Well, that explains a couple of things.

ahah

#11 Posted by Jayzz (592 posts) -

reddit

#12 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

@Jeust: It is unhealthy not to do it fact.

#13 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

@sagesebas said:

@Jeust: It is unhealthy not to do it fact.

True. But there is a measure to it. Overdoing it, isn't healthy either, and can bring complications.

#14 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Podcast + Minecraft = OH GOD IT'S SUDDENLY 1 AM!

I've probably listened to every MBMBAM podcast at least 3 times.

#15 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

@Jeust: Obviously

#16 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

Podcast + Minecraft = OH GOD IT'S SUDDENLY 1 AM!

I've probably listened to every MBMBAM podcast at least 3 times.

Yeah. Games with a great deal of variation like Minecraft are awesome time sinks.

@sagesebas said:

@Jeust: Obviously

I was just pointing it out. ^^

And as a time sink while it can be awesome, is also unreliable, and can become an addiction.

#17 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

Space travel

#18 Posted by Witzig (327 posts) -

Skateboarding

#19 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

Go deer hunting without a gun or bow. Time can fly by when you are trying to tackle a deer with a knife. Then add on the skinning and there goes a day or 2.

#20 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

@Witzig said:

Skateboarding

nice :)

@laserbolts said:

Go deer hunting without a gun or bow. Time can fly by when you are trying to tackle a deer with a knife. Then add on the skinning and there goes a day or 2.

o-ok. o.o

let's just write hunting down.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
  • wiki browsing
  • wiki editing
  • seriously, go improve GB's goddamn wiki
#22 Posted by Dipstick (547 posts) -

Peggle

#23 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

Stumbleupon.